Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 May 2013 21:37

Cycle Chic wrote:Go on twitter and see how many people are praising Quigley - even Emma O'Reilly.

Whatttt?

Search "Declan Quigley" on Twitter and mostly you will see people lampooning him. It's well deserved.

He is brutal. Go back to motorsport!
Basecase

08 May 2013 21:43

Oh god, you should hear some of the commentators they dig up for the graveyard shifts at Le Mans.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

08 May 2013 21:48

Ach it's been okay so far. I think Sean has been making a bit more of an effort to ease the pressure on Quigley, but I can't help thinking he'd be a bit better off with someone a bit more verbose like Smith or Backstedt.

The past two finishes have been ballsed up a bit, but that isn't exactly a rare occurrence in cycling. I can't remember who was commentating at Pais Vasco recently, but during one of the sprints it was "Matthews this", "Matthews that" and "Matthews wins" and of course when the stage results came up on screen it was "1st - Daryl Impey". :D

So I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Once he gets his feet under the table a bit more and builds a bit of a rapport with Sean, I'm sure he'll be fine.
Keep on Truckin'
User avatar Leadbelly

08 May 2013 22:40

I can recognise 50% of the riders here which probably equates to 95% that will ever animate the race at a crucial moment; i expect the commentators to be at least that good.

Things that frustrate me; commentators not having a startlist in front of them, not using common sense to identify a rider when the picture isn't great and unnecessary criticism of certain convicted dopers.

DQ obviously knows little about road cycling and even less about the pro peleton; examples too numerous to list but today his focus on Cavendish was nauseating.
myprotein.com code MP364739
asdfgh101

08 May 2013 22:46

Not that this has any relevance to how good he was on commentary but after searching for Declan Quigley on twitter one of the first things I saw was this, made me laugh a bit

Cyivel

08 May 2013 23:07

asdfgh101 wrote:Things that frustrate me;, not using common sense to identify a rider when the picture isn't great

Rule 1) When a Bardiani rider launches out of the peloton at an inappropriate moment, just assume it is Stefano Pirazzi. (This works 99% of the time)
deValtos

09 May 2013 02:05

Leadbelly wrote:The past two finishes have been ballsed up a bit, but that isn't exactly a rare occurrence in cycling. I can't remember who was commentating at Pais Vasco recently, but during one of the sprints it was "Matthews this", "Matthews that" and "Matthews wins" and of course when the stage results came up on screen it was "1st - Daryl Impey". :D

That reminds me of the 2010 Giro when Harman got the winner wrong 3 stages in a row (or at least 3 times in not many days).
Bavarianrider wrote:Eisel you ****ing Austrian hillbilly :mad::mad::mad

KTM = Kristoff The Magnificent
User avatar valentius borealis

09 May 2013 08:05

Roll on July when we get Harmon back, let DQ get some more experience at the minor races.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Declan

09 May 2013 09:47

I could fill a book with Harmon and Kirby's monumental c*** ups.

Head over to Sky Sports for Cartoon Kirby and Dan Lloyd if you dont like Declan Quigley - at least we have some choice now.

You should also be happy that I AM happy...no more ranting from me - I LOVE DECLAN :):):)
User avatar Cycle Chic

09 May 2013 10:05

No rush to see Harmon return, I don’t mind commentators making mistakes but to hear Harmon talk like he is an authority on the subject can get irritating.

I can usually do a pretty good job tuning out the commentators, don’t really mind DQ, Kirby is a fool and I hear him as such but Harmon just comes across as someone who is desperate to be seen as part of cycling rather than just being a commentator who occasionally rides a bike.
The Principal Sheep

09 May 2013 10:20

Libertine Seguros wrote:A lot of these guys seem to be almost set up to fail. Not deliberately, but it's like, people expect so much from the commentators. A guy like Quigley hasn't called that many international races with the whole international péloton, at least not with the international audience that he'll have with Eurosport. People have commented on how Kelly has seemed more talkative than usual, maybe he's trying to help out a bit to ease Declan in. I seem to recall quite a few people thought Matt Rendell was pretty good on commentary... until he got the high profile role of having to call the Vuelta solo, and floundered in that position. Some of the best commentary I recall hearing in English on cycling was Marty McDonald calling the 2010 Tour of Turkey solo. He seemed to know enough about the riders, or could bluster his way through sounding like he did; but would he be able to do the same consistently on every race? For guys like Harmon over the last few weeks he's been jetting back and forth on commentary on a variety of races, must be sometimes difficult when doing your research to remember who's at what race.

I think Quigley could be a very good commentator in time. Maybe he isn't that yet, but commentary is something you need time to pick up, just like any other task.

I think this is fair analysis(once again by LS).

Declan was an excellent commentator on F1 when he worked with RTE and Setanta and he has great knowledge here where he can go on and express his thoughts in a very good delivery. He has covered the Tour in the past as a journalist and I think with more exposure to the big races on Eurosport he can do similar in the sport of cycling. We see with Kirby who has commentated on many races that Harmon isn't around, continue to make mistake after mistake and not evolve or learn from his previous errors in the process. I don't think that would be the case with Declan if he was allowed to commentate on a more wider scale like Kirby has been.

Maybe we should spare him a bit of flak and see how it progresses. Who knows by the third week of the race we could see him coming more and more into his own to the point where we could be taking about him in esteemed way where we would like to see him more often.
User avatar gooner

Harmon wannabe a cyclist

09 May 2013 10:51

Well said Principal Sheep.

Below...Quigley's cycling background..

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/profiles/437-5-minutes-with-declan-quigley.html

I was a Sorrento CC member as a kid and have great friends there still and I also did brief stint with '34 Nomads in Surrey and Minuteman Road Club in Massachussets
User avatar Cycle Chic

09 May 2013 11:04

Quigley is completely out of his depth. Come back Harmon, all is forgiven!
JRanton

09 May 2013 11:35

tour of belgium live on eurosport international
tour of norway live too every day

eurosport going full awesome

giro,norway on the afternoon and cali in the night. eurosport _O_
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 May 2013 12:07

JRanton wrote:Quigley is completely out of his depth. Come back Harmon, all is forgiven!

Well if Quigley is out of his depth Harmon drowned years ago.
User avatar Cycle Chic

09 May 2013 12:38

Harmon is good at spotting riders, for me thats half of what i want from coverage. Hes also better at getting Kelly involved. Kelly could easily pitch in with the spotting but doesnt seem to with DQ
http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/criterium-du-dauphine-cycling-blog/ My look at the Criterium Du Dauphine is Froome a sure thing here?
User avatar manafana

09 May 2013 15:17

Funny how Quigley mentions Bouhanni all the time. Seems to be the only rider he can identify without doubt thanks to the special jersey. :D
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

09 May 2013 17:12

manafana wrote:Harmon is good at spotting riders, for me thats half of what i want from coverage. Hes also better at getting Kelly involved. Kelly could easily pitch in with the spotting but doesnt seem to with DQ

Yes Harmon is excellent at spotting the Sky riders. Ask him who rides for Euskaltel or FDJ - he couldnt spot them in a line up.
User avatar Cycle Chic

09 May 2013 17:34

The man on my avatar on the other hand is excellent at spotting Gallopin. He even spots him when he's not in the race.

Now about this new bloke, the fact that he is appalling shouldn't make us forget the fact that Harmon is terrible himself as well.
User avatar Descender

10 May 2013 21:19

Been very very impressed with Dan Lloyd so far. He could be lead man easily soon. Together with Brian Smith they are the best two analysts for me. But Dan shades it. He misses nothing. Dan lead, Brian shotgun and sorted:)
User avatar ferryman

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing