Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

21 May 2013 07:11

Avoriaz wrote:Agree mostly on DQ. What grates the most is his odd insistence on referring it to "giro d'italia" rather than THE giro d'italia.

You have not suffered until you have endured the Tour DAY France by Bob Roll.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

Harmon's 'knowledge'

21 May 2013 07:36

gooner wrote:Even though Harmon wanted a break from the commentary, I'm still a bit surprised to hear he hasn't been watching any of the Giro. As he's still with Eurosport it should still be his job to keep up on all affairs cycling so when he comes back for the Tour he can inform the viewer to a sufficient level on results and a rider's form. So when the Tour now comes along and we say something has to be discussed about Wiggins, Harmon now can't refer in detail to anything of what he did in the Giro. I find this not good enough.

He's free to do what he wants in his spare time but if the commentary is going to go down a level as a result of all this, I would much rather Eurosport put Robert Hatch as primary commentator. He comes across in his commentary with more enthusiasm than Harmon anyway and has good in depth knowledge of the peloton where he delivers the information in good expressive terminology.

EXACTLY !! Harmon should do some research in his time off.

I listened to Kirby shouting across Dan Lloyd on Sky Sports - what a disgrace that guy is. Dan Lloyd is talking and Kirby actually talked over him - terrible.
User avatar Cycle Chic

21 May 2013 07:54

What winds me up about Quigley is his belief that time gaps go down when riders are going uphill and then go back up when they ride downhill. This is more than just saying the break will struggle on a climb. If a commentator doesn't understand the basics of the sport then he has no business doing the job.
Morbius

21 May 2013 08:02

Morbius wrote:What winds me up about Quigley is his belief that time gaps go down when riders are going uphill and then go back up when they ride downhill. This is more than just saying the break will struggle on a climb. If a commentator doesn't understand the basics of the sport then he has no business doing the job.

At least he knows what a time gap is ....Harmon nor Kirby knows what a rear derailleur is.
User avatar Cycle Chic

21 May 2013 17:31

Morbius wrote:What winds me up about Quigley is his belief that time gaps go down when riders are going uphill and then go back up when they ride downhill. This is more than just saying the break will struggle on a climb. If a commentator doesn't understand the basics of the sport then he has no business doing the job.

Oeioeioei, Paulo Martins has been doing that on Portuguese Eurosport for years.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

21 May 2013 18:12

Rider ID was a lot better today.
User avatar TourOfTexas

21 May 2013 18:38

Quigley will be a good commentator if he can work on his knowledge, it's up to him if he wants to put the work in and make a success of it long term.
User avatar Bernie's eyesore

21 May 2013 19:04

TourOfTexas wrote:Rider ID was a lot better today.

I noticed that too and actually wondered if he'd got some form of off screen replay at Eurosport Towers installed, as there was a moment when Sean and him disgreed over a rider ID (Gatto / Santambrogio), and Sean, without seeing anything further we saw, changed his mind after a pause to agree with DQ. Even a Sky+ box would make his job easier, as he could pause it!
argyllflyer

21 May 2013 23:06

Cycle Chic wrote:Harmon nor Kirby knows what a rear derailleur is.

That's nothing.

I was talking to an old guy yesterday with a very high end bike, Dura Ace, etc.

I said his shifters/mech. was top of the line, because he didn't quite seem to know.

He responded, "No, it's not that great. I'm having derriere problems."
User avatar Parrot23

22 May 2013 01:12

That's hilarious. But probably true.
User avatar TourOfTexas

22 May 2013 01:42

Parrot23 wrote:That's nothing.

I was talking to an old guy yesterday with a very high end bike, Dura Ace, etc.

I said his shifters/mech. was top of the line, because he didn't quite seem to know.

He responded, "No, it's not that great. I'm having derriere problems."

He should call Lance Armstrong.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

22 May 2013 03:11

brodeal wrote:he should call lance armstrong.

:D
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13

Kelly Talking

22 May 2013 08:12

I think we all agree that Sean Kelly is the best we have knowledge wise - and Quigley has got him talking !! and thats because Kelly can actually have a conversation with Quigley. With Harmon his observations are muted coz Harmon doesnt have the knowledge to converse.

How nice is it to hear 2 commentators having a discussion about the race and the riders ! Quigley comments on what may happen and then asks Kelly his opinion.

And a few of you here make me laugh - keep stating that Quigley needs to learn rider id. and will be better with some more experience. HELLO ! how long has Kirby and harmon been commentating on cycling ? they know nothing apart from what comes through on the broadcaster feeds.
User avatar Cycle Chic

22 May 2013 09:33

I am caught in two minds here. DQ is easier to listen to, and gets Kelly talking, which is good.

But I watch maybe an hour of cycling a week most of the year, with maybe 5 hours at GT time, and I have better rider ID than Quigley.

It is pretty irritating how he calls Niemic repeatedly as Scarponi. And a few others. Although I watched Sky Sports last night to watch the highlights and Kirby was guilty of the Scarponi-Niemic error, too.
barmaher

22 May 2013 09:50

barmaher wrote:I am caught in two minds here. DQ is easier to listen to, and gets Kelly talking, which is good.

But I watch maybe an hour of cycling a week most of the year, with maybe 5 hours at GT time, and I have better rider ID than Quigley.

It is pretty irritating how he calls Niemic repeatedly as Scarponi. And a few others. Although I watched Sky Sports last night to watch the highlights and Kirby was guilty of the Scarponi-Niemic error, too.

I'm also sure that you got better equipment to look at. We all sit at watch our 46" HD screens and shake our head of the commentators rider ID.

But they don't have 46" HD screen to look at. They have smaller monitors because the screen have to fit the booth they sit in. Other times I think they don't look at the screen all the time. They do the commentary and when it becomes a conversation they do as most people. They look at each other.

Many times I have seen an attack in the corner of the picture, and the commentators don't realize it until later.
Coolair2970

22 May 2013 10:08

Coolair2970 wrote:I'm also sure that you got better equipment to look at. We all sit at watch our 46" HD screens and shake our head of the commentators rider ID.

But they don't have 46" HD screen to look at. They have smaller monitors because the screen have to fit the booth they sit in. Other times I think they don't look at the screen all the time. They do the commentary and when it becomes a conversation they do as most people. They look at each other.

Many times I have seen an attack in the corner of the picture, and the commentators don't realize it until later.

While it's true the commentators don't have giant screens they're not exactly small either though, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSHAU27uIcA

It's a lot better than a 200pixel internet stream a lot of people on here make do with. I have not seen a race in normal definition let alone HD in many years :p
deValtos

22 May 2013 11:14

Eurosport don't commentate on site for the Giro and their monitors in Paris are bigger than that. Actually, not sure why we call them monitors. They're just TVs. Yes, they're smaller than the ones we might have at home, but then they don't sit 3 metres away from them on a sofa either, so relatively speaking it all evens out and isn't an excuse.

I watch the Giro live on Japanese TV and they're better at IDing riders than the British Europort people, which I simply don't understand considering it's a country with no cycling heritage at all and they're just sitting in a room in Tokyo at midnight. It shouldn't be that way. David Harmon is very good at it; the others less so, which a shame as it's the only thing that's absolutely vital for a commentator. If you can't say what's happening then it's not commentary.
Ryongsyong

22 May 2013 16:08

Coolair2970 wrote:I'm also sure that you got better equipment to look at. We all sit at watch our 46" HD screens and shake our head of the commentators rider ID.

As noted above, they're not in Italy at the race (where the equipment provided is more than adequate anyway), they're in a TV suite somewhere with no doubt a cracking set-up, and not everyone at home has a 46" inch TV either! Mine is 32"!
argyllflyer

22 May 2013 17:40

barmaher wrote:I am caught in two minds here. DQ is easier to listen to, and gets Kelly talking, which is good.

To be fair, he knows Scarponi is one of the main guys up there, and if he's identified Scarponi as being Visconti and sees another guy in pink he can't identify, Scarponi is a free name to associate.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

22 May 2013 18:03

Cycle Chic wrote:I think we all agree that Sean Kelly is the best we have knowledge wise - and Quigley has got him talking !!

I'd agree. And Kelley has become a lot easier to listen to over the past 6 or 8 years. I did catch an old-school kelly-style run-on sentence the other day, though. But it only went for 3 minutes or so. I swear he could speak for 15 minutes without a breath, a change in tempo, a change in pitch or hint of punctuation back in the good old days!

But he does know what he is talking about.
winkybiker

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing