Register

2011 Tour de France Stage 18 - Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 200.5km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Jul 2011 12:27

Contador agrees Angel is the most difficult climb of the Tour.

He looks very relaxed and seems ready for both tomorow and Friday saying "19 will be survival of the fittest".

The Great One is ready to bring it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

20 Jul 2011 13:05

Looks like no Galibier:(

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:btw, this is the Galibiier at the moment

http://ow.ly/i/eBkb

:eek:
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

20 Jul 2011 13:07

The Hitch wrote:Looks like no Galibier:(

that would really really suck :(
[SIZE="2"]______________
sempre con noi[/SIZE]
User avatar thirteen

20 Jul 2011 13:11

thirteen wrote:that would really really suck :(

But now (or rather 10 minutes ago) ES said sun is back out so looks like the gods arent 100% behind Cuddles yet

User avatar The Hitch

20 Jul 2011 13:12

portuguese commentators said its almost confirmed that there will be the galibier

will have snow on the road side but the weather is similar to the one on today's stage.

think of it as a wannabe gavia stage.
User avatar Parrulo

20 Jul 2011 13:16

Parrulo wrote:portuguese commentators said its almost confirmed that there will be the galibier

will have snow on the road side but the weather is similar to the one on today's stage.

think of it as a wannabe gavia stage.

That would make things only more epic.
I really really hope they will go up the Galibier tomorrow and that the other 2 mountains are safe to ride up and down.
How is the weather on the Angel for example? It's higher then the Galibier afterall.
User avatar Kwibus

20 Jul 2011 13:17

Climber posted this forecast on the stage 17 thread

Not looking so good -http://www.meteonews.fr/index.php?page=wetter_pas&lang=en&wetter_pas=07000013
Alexi Grewal to Hinault stage 14 into Superbagnéres 1986 ´You blew it, Bernie. You f*cked up.´
User avatar just some guy

20 Jul 2011 13:24

They'd be better off finishing on the Izoard than finishing half way up the Galibier, if it comes to it.
Waterloo Sunrise

20 Jul 2011 13:28

Prudhomme has said numerous times that there will be no way the Galibier will be cut.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Jul 2011 13:45

El Pistolero wrote:Prudhomme has said numerous times that there will be no way the Galibier will be cut.

It's uphill so it doesn't get very dangerous. Aslong as the descents of the previous 2 mountains are safe it should be good.
User avatar Kwibus

20 Jul 2011 15:35

I hope they don't neuter the stage.
Basso will be the guy who makes the race tomorrow. Szmyd to make Agnel a real torture.
Evans will lose time (amount depending on where the attacks start), probably not huge.
Tommy V. loses yellow and drops out of top 5 probably.
User avatar Zoncolan

20 Jul 2011 15:36

This is gonna be good!!! Andy and Contador harkening back to yesteryear.
Hopefully the Galibier is on, and we'll get an epic snowy ride!!
User avatar jobiwan

20 Jul 2011 15:39

Zoncolan wrote:I hope they don't neuter the stage.
Basso will be the guy who makes the race tomorrow. Szmyd to make Agnel a real torture.
Evans will lose time (amount depending on where the attacks start), probably not huge.
Tommy V. loses yellow and drops out of top 5 probably.

This stage will determine where Tommy finishes. If they chop off any part of this stage, then that helps Tommy.

I think Alp D'Huez with it being a short stage he will be alright, not a several minuute loss. If he can somehow keep within striking distance, then I think he has a possibility of a podium or Top 5. I think winning is not possible, not with 1:20 gap. Now if he didn't lose the 27 seconds today, then I might have give him a 2-5 chance of winning, especially if they take out any part of tomorrow stage. Still an excellent Tour for him.
Carl0880

20 Jul 2011 15:49

OK this is how I think/hope the GC top 6 will finish:
AC
AS +20"
SS +20"
FS +31"
CE +1'06"
TV +2'37"

Although I'd rather see Cadel and Samu finish higher than Andy, this would be better for my favorite.
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Jul 2011 15:51

Meteo

Stage 18 between Pinerolo and Galibier Serre-Chevalier. Sun and hot from the start in Pinerolo and the weather will the sun via the Col Agnel and Izoard. Next big lift from Briançon to the top of Galibier always in the sun. But we get to the Col du Galibier, where the clouds are just above the finish Winds : Departure to the "Sprint" no wind. Col Agnel: unfavorable northwest 30 km/h. Col d’Izoard: unfavorable northwest 30 km/h. Briançon to Lautaret: unfavorable 20 km/h. Col du Galibier: North 40 km/h.

Temperatures : Pinerolo: 25° Sprint Verzuolo: 28° Col Agnel: 5° (colder with the wind) Château-Ville-Vielle 20° Col d’Izoard: 10° Monetier-les-bains: 20° Col du Galibier: 6° (colder with the wind)
User avatar LukeSchmid

20 Jul 2011 15:51

LaFlorecita wrote:OK this is how I think/hope the GC top 6 will finish:
AC
AS +20"
SS +20"
FS +31"
CE +1'06"
TV +2'37"

Although I'd rather see Cadel and Samu finish higher than Andy, this would be better for my favorite.

Basso? Tomorrow really suits his grinding style.
User avatar ericthesportsman6

20 Jul 2011 16:04

Tomorrow might be an all out alliance against Cadel Evans.

The early domestiques for Saxo, Leopard, Liqui, set a solid pace on the Agnel, early Izoard, then Fuglsang, Monfort, and CAS set a high tempo on the upper slopes of the Izoard.

Then come the bottom of the Galibier, Szmyd and Navarro go all out to whittle it down to just Evans, then Basso starts with his tempo.

With about 10 kms to go, Frank will attack.
Sanchador and Andy will follow.
Basso stops making tempo, and Evans kills himself to get back to the leaders.

Once Evans gets back, Andy will go, Sanchador follows.
Frank stays behind Evans, forcing him to relive Alpe d'Huez a day earlier than expected.

Andy and Sanchador decide to work together, and wait to settle the win on the Alpe.

Sanchez will have to let go with 2-3 kms left, but he'll be a very solid 3rd and in a position to podium.

Then either:

Contador will get restless near the end, and mock Andy's Plateau de Beille efforts, getting 2 seconds and the stage win. Andy complains about something, probably the snow on the edge of the roads.

OR

Andy and Contador ride up to the finish together, and Alberto thinks he has the win a la Mur de Bretagne, but Andy somehow hangs on. Andy goes crazy again, becomes a fist pumping fool, then Alberto will give him a gentle slap on the face to remind him of what he could have done.

Frank eventually drops Evans and rides to 4th.
Basso also grinds past Evans for 5th place.

AS/AC with 1-2 seconds between
Samu +20"
Frank +1'10"
Basso +1'25"
Evans +1'50"
Cunego, Tommy D, Uran +2'30"

Tommy V +3'30", but with a smile.

And in my calculations, that would put Frank in yellow by a smidge.
User avatar jobiwan

20 Jul 2011 16:12

Contador for the win, Cadel for Yellow.
Jux1893

20 Jul 2011 16:13

ericthesportsman6 wrote:Basso? Tomorrow really suits his grinding style.

Mmm, I said Top 6 of GC
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Jul 2011 16:18

If things blow on the Izoard (which I feel they may due to Basso) then I think we could be left with Contador, Andy and Fraenk together like 09 and Colombiere/Romme. But with the finish uphill, those 3 split again.
Tbh, what the heck, I'd like Andy to win, and I'm completely biased, but I just want to see GC man vs man from 60km to go and have some good old fashioned racing!
User avatar il_pirata

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing