Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

19 Nov 2013 17:55

Predicting a Top 5 for Andy in 2014 TDF
IndianCyclist

19 Nov 2013 20:53

saneguy wrote:Unfortunately with Froome a "good" ITT would not be good enough. He still has a lot of catch up on Froome. I hope he is training for ITTs this off-season!

Forget TdF - I hope he at least does well in some of the classics - LBL?

Well, we must consider than in some forums over there, most of people consider Andy finished, even 2014 will be his last year, and so on....

I dont agry, he will shine in several races.

But the question is not if he can battle Froome, it is to be again at that level.

With that level I dont know if he can beat Froome, it is difficult, he will be a problem, for sure, more with just an ITT at the end, but I would like to see if he can beat Contador, and that is important for him.

The Tour is going to be a question of who survived untouached the first week. Later, the stronger. if he past untouched the first week and with a good level, he can win the Tour.
User avatar Taxus4a

19 Nov 2013 21:01

Why is it important for Andy to beat Contador? He'd better aim to improve his own fitness instead of comparing himself to others.
User avatar Pentacycle

20 Nov 2013 15:29

Pentacycle wrote:Why is it important for Andy to beat Contador? He'd better aim to improve his own fitness instead of comparing himself to others.

It is important becouse they have been rivals in the Tour several years, and we are supposed to be in a new era now, so, it would be interesting to know who is stronger in this new era.
User avatar Taxus4a

20 Nov 2013 15:36

Taxus4a wrote:It is important becouse they have been rivals in the Tour several years, and we are supposed to be in a new era now, so, it would be interesting to know who is stronger in this new era.

Such bull****
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 Nov 2013 17:14

Pentacycle wrote:Why is it important for Andy to beat Contador? He'd better aim to improve his own fitness instead of comparing himself to others.

I don't think he compared himself to others in his latest interview... lest I forget?
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

20 Nov 2013 17:18

Christian wrote:I don't think he compared himself to others in his latest interview... lest I forget?

I commented on Taxus' remark about Contador.
User avatar Pentacycle

20 Nov 2013 18:35

Taxus4a wrote:It is important becouse they have been rivals in the Tour several years, and we are supposed to be in a new era now, so, it would be interesting to know who is stronger in this new era.

That rivalry has already been decided...

Right now Schleck really needs to demonstrate that he can compete against the mediocre part of the peleton; not win against the top guys.
User avatar Opalius

20 Nov 2013 20:49

Opalius wrote:That rivalry has already been decided...

Right now Schleck really needs to demonstrate that he can compete against the mediocre part of the peleton; not win against the top guys.

Already? Andy had an injury, he couldnt recover yet this year, he has to reach his best level, I dont know if that level will be the same that before, better that contador, better than froome , or wich level is that....

Meybe he reached this year his best level in the new era with his top 20 in the Tour, but I dont think so... maybe it is not more than a top 10, that is not bad anyway, but far from his best results, maybe Contador didnt show his best level this year, but all the questions will be answered next year.
User avatar Taxus4a

20 Nov 2013 21:36

Taxus4a wrote:Meybe he reached this year his best level in the new era with his top 20 in the Tour, but I dont think so... maybe it is not more than a top 10, that is not bad anyway, but far from his best results, maybe Contador didnt show his best level this year, but all the questions will be answered next year.

A higher placing was possible but it wasn't his objective... just look at Navarro, who managed to finish 9th by using the breakaways intelligently.

If he is in top shape and nothing goes wrong, I think top-10 is realistic for next year and top-5 would be a great performance

User avatar Christian

20 Nov 2013 21:40

what exactly is this new era? when people like Froom starting to surpass previous climbing record time? LOL
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

20 Nov 2013 21:46

Taxus4a wrote:Already? Andy had an injury, he couldnt recover yet this year, he has to reach his best level, I dont know if that level will be the same that before, better that contador, better than froome , or wich level is that....

Meybe he reached this year his best level in the new era with his top 20 in the Tour, but I dont think so... maybe it is not more than a top 10, that is not bad anyway, but far from his best results, maybe Contador didnt show his best level this year, but all the questions will be answered next year.

true true. But if andy is still applying his way of getting fit by soft pedal every race that he enters, he might not be able to compete with this new plethora of new regime of training and peaking. Ask sky, they revolutionized the way everyone comes to the race on early season. You can peak all year long :-), win major races and still become a TDF champ. I know, I know.. everyone is different how to get their peak. Maybe andy is just type of relaxed guy who get fit by not not winning race. But my point is, this is a new era, so it's not about preparing with long soft pedal all year long. Even Mollema looks like a rockstar compare to andy at TDF (no disrespect to mollema. he is a talented rider. But in andy's old days, molema was andy's breakfast).:D
User avatar Jelantik

20 Nov 2013 22:05

I'm a bit confused about this new era stuff. Care to explain?
User avatar Rollthedice

20 Nov 2013 22:08

Rollthedice wrote:I'm a bit confused about this new era stuff. Care to explain?

To me it just means that when Andy was on top, there was no Froome and no Quintana yet, but now there are

User avatar Christian

20 Nov 2013 23:31

Jelantik wrote:true true. But if andy is still applying his way of getting fit by soft pedal every race that he enters, he might not be able to compete with this new plethora of new regime of training and peaking. Ask sky, they revolutionized the way everyone comes to the race on early season. You can peak all year long :-), win major races and still become a TDF champ. I know, I know.. everyone is different how to get their peak. Maybe andy is just type of relaxed guy who get fit by not not winning race. But my point is, this is a new era, so it's not about preparing with long soft pedal all year long. Even Mollema looks like a rockstar compare to andy at TDF (no disrespect to mollema. he is a talented rider. But in andy's old days, molema was andy's breakfast).:D

He must change that is true, but when you are in a race you dont soft pedal. it is not as easy as that.

He dont have tha capacity to be in a good level all the year as Valverde, Purito, Evans,.. that kind of riders. if he look for a peak in Liege, he cant be in February in a good level.

This year he didnt soft pedaling in any race. It was really hard for him.

Other years some races, but anyway if you are not in a good shape, it is not really soft pedaling even for finish 100th.
User avatar Taxus4a

20 Nov 2013 23:32

Christian wrote:To me it just means that when Andy was on top, there was no Froome and no Quintana yet, but now there are

Aye, maybe, but borderline clinic to others.
User avatar ferryman

20 Nov 2013 23:39

Rollthedice wrote:I'm a bit confused about this new era stuff. Care to explain?

Go to the clinic for that answer. We live in an era with more control, no more. This is not the place for that.

if you are not agree, ok, but I talked for me, and you read aboutr that everyday to everybody, for that I said, suposed new era. Andy was stronger in Tourmalet than Purito and Hesjedal, and they has been amongs the stronger later. Purito climb better than Froome in the Tour once he recover his crash in the first week.

We know that now Contador is not the man that put one minute to Purito in Tourmalet suckwheeling Andy, but I dont know if andy could be that man. I dont think so, but if he is close, he can beat Froome in the mountains.
User avatar Taxus4a

20 Nov 2013 23:44

Let's see how it will go... his first race will maybe be Tour of Oman? That's good because at least it's hot. My fear is that there will be snow and cold in Europe, so some races will get canceled, some he'll abandon and then he'll get the flu, so that he has 10 race days by the Amstel Gold Race

User avatar Christian

21 Nov 2013 00:41

Taxus4a wrote:Go to the clinic for that answer. We live in an era with more control, no more. This is not the place for that.

if you are not agree, ok, but I talked for me, and you read aboutr that everyday to everybody, for that I said, suposed new era. Andy was stronger in Tourmalet than Purito and Hesjedal, and they has been amongs the stronger later. Purito climb better than Froome in the Tour once he recover his crash in the first week.

We know that now Contador is not the man that put one minute to Purito in Tourmalet suckwheeling Andy, but I dont know if andy could be that man. I dont think so, but if he is close, he can beat Froome in the mountains.

Taxus, you understand enough that this is clinic talk. I alluded to this a few posts above. You didn't need to push your luck. Leave it at that here or really do take it tothe clinic.
User avatar ferryman

21 Nov 2013 01:32

This thread is a non-ending gift.

Thank you all those who still espouse that schlecklet has even one iota of natural talent.

This thread is arguably even more amusing than the contador thread.

Keep it up, please.
Big Doopie

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing