Log in:  

Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

03 Feb 2014 20:41

this year he will bounce back big time. both him and frank. like in the not so old days

Image


did y;all miss this photo?
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,436
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

03 Feb 2014 20:45

I was going to fish up one of numerous quotes ITT that explain my point but I knew netserk would be along soon enough to create fresh original content.

You cannot correlate race results with CNF popularity especially among the trendy mafia. Horner is a pariah. Also see Chris Froome, Mark Cavendish, the list goes on... just wait until Porte reveals his true powerlevel.

If you even imply that Andy won le tour '10 and AC was relegated to last place you are considered a Chris Horner tier pariah yourself.

This trendy bandwagon is a result, in my mind, of a lack of anything to talk about. People have no interesting opinions to share so they participate in this groupthink exercise of picking on the unpopular kids.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours
Junior Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 23 Mar 2010 05:39

03 Feb 2014 21:45

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:This trendy bandwagon is a result, in my mind, of a lack of anything to talk about. People have no interesting opinions to share so they participate in this groupthink exercise of picking on the unpopular kids.


I think this is true... in the heyday of the "Depreciation" threads, there was zero content and 100% who is hotter, who has the better dog, have you seen this picture of Alberto, etc. Of course I must also take my responsibility for partaking in it..... even now
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

03 Feb 2014 23:04

hrotha wrote:That's BS of the highest order.
Most everybody liked Andy when he first showed up. He earned the contempt of the fans by himself, through years of unrelenting effort.


True. I was fan until he got booted from the Vuelta and his attitude hasn't improved much since then........
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,583
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

04 Feb 2014 00:42

Andy has always been an enigmatic performer. On his day as good as anyone like his win at Leige and his 2010 Tour performance. He has to forget the last two years and start again. There are no excuses for him this year. With riders like Quintana and Porte on the rise and Froome, Rodriguez and Nibali riding in the best form of their lives, if he can't make an impact this year or next it's hard say whether he will make an impact in the future. The fact that much older riders like Evans are continuing to get better results than Andy makes you wonder about Andy's motivation.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,853
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

04 Feb 2014 00:57

hrotha wrote:That's BS of the highest order.
Most everybody liked Andy when he first showed up. He earned the contempt of the fans by himself, through years of unrelenting effort.

Too right. I remember watching Andy at the '07 and loving him mixing it up with Di Luca and the rest. He was having the time of his life and rode a fantastic race. He had another brilliant race at the '08 TdF but I started losing a bit of respect when I saw Andy and Frank's reactions when yellow passed from Frank to Sastre. I lost interest in Andy when he got taken off the Vuelta instead of keeping his nose clean and helping out his own brother, who rode his guts out for him at the Tour.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,492
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

04 Feb 2014 03:41

42x16ss wrote:Too right. I remember watching Andy at the '07 and loving him mixing it up with Di Luca and the rest. He was having the time of his life and rode a fantastic race. He had another brilliant race at the '08 TdF but I started losing a bit of respect when I saw Andy and Frank's reactions when yellow passed from Frank to Sastre.
I lost interest in Andy when he got taken off the Vuelta instead of keeping his nose clean and helping out his own brother, who rode his guts out for him at the Tour.


Frank knocked himself out for Andy at the tour, right, and Andy goes on a bender in Spain. Very disappointing from Andy.

But that was then, this is now hoping for a Frandy revival!
User avatar contessador
Junior Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 04 May 2013 01:56

04 Feb 2014 20:24

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:I was going to fish up one of numerous quotes ITT that explain my point but I knew netserk would be along soon enough to create fresh original content.

You cannot correlate race results with CNF popularity especially among the trendy mafia. Horner is a pariah. Also see Chris Froome, Mark Cavendish, the list goes on... just wait until Porte reveals his true powerlevel.

If you even imply that Andy won le tour '10 and AC was relegated to last place you are considered a Chris Horner tier pariah yourself.

This trendy bandwagon is a result, in my mind, of a lack of anything to talk about. People have no interesting opinions to share so they participate in this groupthink exercise of picking on the unpopular kids.


Disagree... I'm an avid CN forum reader. I don't see much 'picking on the unpopular kids'. In Andy's case, the disappointment is commensurate with how much we all liked (and for some still like) him.

Don't blame anybody but Andy. Some have been disappointed by his selfish attitude at the Vuelta. Others regret Andy's lack of work ethics. In my case, I would have expected a different reaction (i.e. expressing anger) when Andy was declared the 2010 TdF winner: I was robbed of my parade in Paris, the podium, the jersey, the greatest feeling in cycling :( The reaction never happened. I suppose we can all imagine why...Add Frank's suspension, the whining, the team drama...ENOUGH!!!

Still, I was wishing him the best last year and was happy to see him hang in there with the best of them during tough stages. Because I used to like him. I think that most of us feel that way: disappointed.
User avatar Tonton
Junior Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

04 Feb 2014 21:11

Andy has received a great deal of support from many of the same folks (myself included) that were less than fans of his prior to his injury.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,990
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

04 Feb 2014 21:22

Angliru wrote:Andy has received a great deal of support from many of the same folks (myself included) that were less than fans of his prior to his injury.

This.
and myself too

edit:Andy advantage (fan wise)is low expectations from fans,he can only surprise us :-)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,989
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

06 Feb 2014 04:41

I think most of his fans (the few still left like me lol) cut him a lot of flack last year. But I think this year is make or break. Last year we all said he's making a comeback, cant reach your peak when you havent raced in 2012. But if he still cant show good results this year then thats just it! He's done!

And knowing him he will be selective this year as well. Dont expect anything from him at all in Oman. First real test would be LBL. If he flops there its fair to conclude - cycling has simply raced past Andy!
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 10:03
Location: Mumbai, India

06 Feb 2014 05:00

saneguy wrote:I think most of his fans (the few still left like me lol) cut him a lot of flack last year. But I think this year is make or break. Last year we all said he's making a comeback, cant reach your peak when you havent raced in 2012. But if he still cant show good results this year then thats just it! He's done!

And knowing him he will be selective this year as well. Dont expect anything from him at all in Oman. First real test would be LBL. If he flops there its fair to conclude - cycling has simply raced past Andy!


For someone like Andy whose reputation is in doubt - why he would wait so long until LBL to really "perform" properly?? I bet you anything If he sucks during the Ardeness, he'll come up with the excuse of "holding back to give everything at the Tour" BS-that's the main driver of all criticisms here ...
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,532
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

06 Feb 2014 12:40

hfer07 wrote:For someone like Andy whose reputation is in doubt - why he would wait so long until LBL to really "perform" properly??

Because it's still Andy, & he cares about 2 races a year.
forkboy84
Junior Member
 
Posts: 118
Joined: 13 Oct 2012 11:11

06 Feb 2014 12:51

saneguy wrote:I think most of his fans (the few still left like me lol) cut him a lot of flack last year. But I think this year is make or break. Last year we all said he's making a comeback, cant reach your peak when you havent raced in 2012. But if he still cant show good results this year then thats just it! He's done!

And knowing him he will be selective this year as well. Dont expect anything from him at all in Oman. First real test would be LBL. If he flops there its fair to conclude - cycling has simply raced past Andy!

I do expect something from him in Oman. Normal thing would be just do km in competition and help the team, but he did 32 in oman two years ago, so that is not the same of to be with problems to finish the race as last year after his hard injury. so, for me is not the same to be up there, working or getting a top 30, that to be losing a lot of time...of course he is not going to fight for the podium...it would be something new if happends, he could be in a breakaway as he did two in Andalucia once, or in California when was in January, etc...

But after this two years, and he is training well, with good feeling, Oman could give surprises from him...but it is difficult, he need some races in his legs to be on the top, he is not like other riders in that.
User avatar Taxus4a
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,100
Joined: 12 Aug 2012 18:48
Location: Castilla

06 Feb 2014 13:40

To be truthful, I wouldn't expect anything significant from him in Oman or any of his other first races he does this year. A top 30 is not really something to work towards or an accomplishment, it's just an anonymous placing you wind up in that no one will remember.

It's a little sad, but we most likely have to wait until the Ardennes and the Tour to see if Andy really has a return of form this year. He should be given until the Tour at least to show something IMO. Since that is the race that motivates him the most.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,239
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

06 Feb 2014 13:45

I haven't looked at the Oman profile yet, but doesn't the overall essentially come down to one stage, i.e. Green Mountain?
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

06 Feb 2014 14:00

Haven't looked at it yet either, last year I remember the favorites fought it out on a hilly stage as well as green mountain. I assume most of the GC will be decided on green mountain though.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,239
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

06 Feb 2014 14:05

Christian wrote:I haven't looked at the Oman profile yet, but doesn't the overall essentially come down to one stage, i.e. Green Mountain?


I could be enough motivation to him, a victory is a victory, and that always matter for someone like him with just a few victories, even when you have won the Tour or Liege... but.. for a climb like that, there are in this moment of the year better people, Andy need to race more to get the shape. But anyway, after last year, the mind of Andy have changed, so I dont put apart a surprise... a top 30 for some people, would be insignificant, for me would be very significant, anyway, not a surprise. I mean surprise another thing. But anyway Andy in this races use to help a mate with some optións, maybe this time to his brother.

The profile is similar to last year, green mountain and some stages with climbs that could split the race.

And of course, the wind.

Last year was an exciting race, with Froome, Contador, Evans, Nibali and Purito in the fight every day...
User avatar Taxus4a
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,100
Joined: 12 Aug 2012 18:48
Location: Castilla

06 Feb 2014 16:17

How will the Schlecks fare in 2014?

Rodrigo Beenkens (cycling commentator on RTBF): "It is nearly impossible to say. (...) Without a doubt, it would be good for cycling, if they returned to their old strength. We'll see clearer after Liège."

Kim Kirchen: "I hope they can do it. I think in their new team, the Schlecks have the support they need to make the most out of their great potential."

Jacky Durand: "One thing is for certain: they cannot lose any time. They have to regain their confidence through results and get used to the rhythm and the automatisms of races. I don't think that they can fight for the win in the Tour, but nothing is impossible."

Tom Flammang (former pro, now DS at Leopard CT): "I am not at all worried about Fränk. He knows how to get into shape quickly. Plus I know that he trained hard and did not let himself go. I think he can already compete with the best at Paris-Nice. Andy will start the season more slowly. What will he be able to do? I remain optimistic. The new team, and the fact that he will become a father soon, might give him an extra boost. Expectations are very high. We will know more after the Ardennes classics."


http://www.wort.lu/de/view/saison-2014-wozu-ist-das-schleck-duo-tatsaechlich-faehig-52e95e79e4b0227bec51c557
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

09 Feb 2014 17:39

Somehow I still feel Oman will be a blank - Green Mountain or no Green Mountain. One thing is obviously is he has no race legs yet this year. This year another thing that will clearly be visible is the impact Frank has on Andy. See if that actually translates to any results. Last year in California he tried real hard. Couple of breakaways as well but nothing special.

World of cycling has changed significantly between Andy's peak (2011) and now. Froome, Quintana, Nibali have taken climbing to another level. Andy needs stage / race wins to get the confidence to get away in the Tour.

Long shot! But as a fan I can only look at the positive side :)
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 10:03
Location: Mumbai, India

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: johnymax, Marco Pantani, OK93fin, Pentacycle, Pricey_sky, Ricco', Zinoviev Letter and 43 guests

Back to top