Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Feb 2014 18:21

saneguy wrote:Somehow I still feel Oman will be a blank - Green Mountain or no Green Mountain. One thing is obviously is he has no race legs yet this year. This year another thing that will clearly be visible is the impact Frank has on Andy. See if that actually translates to any results. Last year in California he tried real hard. Couple of breakaways as well but nothing special.

World of cycling has changed significantly between Andy's peak (2011) and now. Froome, Quintana, Nibali have taken climbing to another level. Andy needs stage / race wins to get the confidence to get away in the Tour.

Long shot! But as a fan I can only look at the positive side :)

Nah...
Not another level, just another field.
Little Fane

09 Feb 2014 18:38

Think Froome was only 7 seconds faster than Schleck's best effort up Ventoux. And I think Schleck was messing about with Contador as he did it.

There is hope:D:D
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

09 Feb 2014 19:37

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:This is true. Think Froome was only 7 seconds faster than Schleck's best effort up Ventoux. And I think Schleck was messing about with Contador as he did it.

There is hope:D:D

saneguy wrote:World of cycling has changed significantly between Andy's peak (2011) and now. Froome, Quintana, Nibali have taken climbing to another level. Andy needs stage / race wins to get the confidence to get away in the Tour.

ah andy, andy. Reminiscing about the old days.. It doesn't matter froome is faster only 7 seconds. The fact is froome is riding 'NOW'. And he was riding 3 years ago. As saneguy said world of cycling is drastically changing. He needs to step it up even higher than what he used to be. 3 years ago rides won't mean anything. Look at Contador, how many GT has he won? It means nothing either. Froome, Quintana are the top dog of the current generation. Look at around cycling now. Cavendish used to be the fastest man, now Kittel is raising as the fastest man. Contador who used to keep beating andy, now is struggling or still trying to get to his level (or maybe that's his level) and didn't share the same level of form with Froome or Quintana last year. Nibali is totally different rider that he was when Andy rode mt. ventoux 7 seconds slower than froome.

The point is he needs to look his training differently. He can't do the same typical style of preparation that he does like he used to be. He is way too behind now. Frank on the other hand, has the fire and the motivation to get up there. Andy to me, seems to fragile psychologically. Now that he is on the team that aren't solely build around him, it's probably a wake up call for him.. well, I hope.
User avatar Jelantik

09 Feb 2014 22:35

Jelantik wrote:ah andy, andy. Reminiscing about the old days.. It doesn't matter froome is faster only 7 seconds. The fact is froome is riding 'NOW'. And he was riding 3 years ago. As saneguy said world of cycling is drastically changing. He needs to step it up even higher than what he used to be. 3 years ago rides won't mean anything. Look at Contador, how many GT has he won? It means nothing either. Froome, Quintana are the top dog of the current generation. Look at around cycling now. Cavendish used to be the fastest man, now Kittel is raising as the fastest man. Contador who used to keep beating andy, now is struggling or still trying to get to his level (or maybe that's his level) and didn't share the same level of form with Froome or Quintana last year. Nibali is totally different rider that he was when Andy rode mt. ventoux 7 seconds slower than froome.

For guys like Cavendish and Contador I think (and hope to a degree) that the 2013 Tour was more a case of an off year/race then it is a case of their time has past. And I'm not sure that the level is now higher with guys like Kittel, Froome, Quintana etc. as much as it is just a case of new riders emerging. And other riders like Nibali have just followed a steady path of progression and improvement.

I would agree the results guys like Andy and Contador achieved 3 years ago doesn't mean they'll be able to compete with Froome and others this year. But if Andy can get back to his 2010/11 levels, then I think he will be able to climb with at least the top 10 riders at the Tour.
User avatar Afrank

09 Feb 2014 22:45

Afrank wrote:For guys like Cavendish and Contador I think (and hope to a degree) that the 2013 Tour was more a case of an off year/race then it is a case of their time has past. And I'm not sure that the level is now higher with guys like Kittel, Froome, Quintana etc. as much as it is just a case of new riders emerging. And other riders like Nibali have just followed a steady path of progression and improvement.

I would agree the results guys like Andy and Contador achieved 3 years ago doesn't mean they'll be able to compete with Froome and others this year. But if Andy can get back to his 2010/11 levels, then I think he will be able to climb with at least the top 10 riders at the Tour.

IF we are to believe Andy and he has got his head on, there is no reason why he should not be back at his best this year. Where that leaves him Vs Froome waits to be seen. I'm also one of the few lone voices that is happy he is back with Frank. The Ardennes should tell us what we can expect in July.
User avatar ferryman

17 Feb 2014 22:19

Will Frank or Andy show anything on green mountain?

I think they will both perform well this year. Frank is aging and they must realise they have limited years to perform competitively together

17 Feb 2014 22:28

They are looking sharp at least.... as always
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

17 Feb 2014 22:30

Yeah, not a lot of fat on either of them :)

Can't wait to see Andy drop froome :D

17 Feb 2014 22:38

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Can't wait to see Andy drop froome :D

Off a cliff? You and a lot of people
User avatar GuyIncognito

17 Feb 2014 23:22

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Will Frank or Andy show anything on green mountain?

I think they will both perform well this year. Frank is aging and they must realise they have limited years to perform competitively together

I don't expect to see anything yet, too early. Got to give them time to get into form.
User avatar Afrank

18 Feb 2014 01:32

Afrank wrote:I don't expect to see anything yet, too early. Got to give them time to get into form.

He's only had since July 2011 to be competitive again.
movingtarget

18 Feb 2014 02:18

Afrank wrote:I don't expect to see anything yet, too early. Got to give them time to get into form.

Too early? I think it is too late for Andy ...
User avatar Jancouver

18 Feb 2014 02:46

movingtarget wrote:He's only had since July 2011 to be competitive again.

So every rider starts each new season already in form?

He's improved much from his problems throughout last season. I don't know what he'll do this season, but if he does end up showing us any signs of his old self he'll first need a couple races to get in form like every other rider does.
User avatar Afrank

18 Feb 2014 07:35

For Andy it will be LBL and the Tour again. Grupetto in other races.
Maybe Frank can show something in Oman.
Dazed and Confused

18 Feb 2014 09:36

GuyIncognito wrote:Off a cliff? You and a lot of people

lol nice one :D
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

18 Feb 2014 10:00

Dazed and Confused wrote:For Andy it will be LBL and the Tour again. Grupetto in other races.
Maybe Frank can show something in Oman.

Probably right, but there were small signs last year that Andy was willing to do something in smaller events, going in the early break a few times, it's not much, but it shows some willingness on his part to work on getting better again and it was a regular quantum leap from 2012.

Back in the days when he was only riding really well in LBL and the Tour he did show some strength once in a while he would ride a climb really hard and then sit back, so he didn't always finish races as easy as possible even though the results would some times suggest just that.
Peter von

18 Feb 2014 12:27

Ready to race!
del1962

18 Feb 2014 13:37

To abandon you mean
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

18 Feb 2014 13:37

Andy doesnt do S&%t small races get over it
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

18 Feb 2014 22:17

Andy says he wants a top 10 here. In a february race.

He's literally never done that before. And he's only ever had a top 10 in a March race one, years back at Eroica.
User avatar GuyIncognito

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing