Log in:  

Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Feb 2014 15:41

Yesterday with Devolder, today with Cancellara... preparing for the cobbles, obviously.
straightjacker
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 18 Feb 2014 22:54

24 Feb 2014 09:38

I hope all the people who are saying that this is nothing to worry about right. Would be sad to see another year of no performances.

Froome, Contador, Quintana, Valverde have all started their seasons well. Should be a good 2014
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 10:03
Location: Mumbai, India

24 Feb 2014 17:00

saneguy wrote:I hope all the people who are saying that this is nothing to worry about right. Would be sad to see another year of no performances.

Froome, Contador, Quintana, Valverde have all started their seasons well. Should be a good 2014


+1. It's going to be hard for Andy to come back at top level. 2 years after he was one of the dominating climber in the world, the cycling world has changed dramatically. Riders are taking different approach to their training and the mentality of early season race has drastically changed. Everyone is already getting their good form early and either keep it all season or win then slow down to peak on the second half. Even at Oman, Froome, Purito, TJ are way up there already. Andy has a lot of work cut out for him His brother is actually a little better than him. Maybe Frank will have more chance to get back close to his best this year. Andy might be another year .. *hopefully not that long, he is not getting younger*
User avatar Jelantik
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,538
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 18:30

24 Feb 2014 17:04

Andy will be fine in LBL and the Tour. Still don't understand why people expect him to perform in other races.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,161
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

24 Feb 2014 18:09

Dazed and Confused wrote:Andy will be fine in LBL and the Tour. Still don't understand why people expect him to perform in other races.


When other cyclists are saying that Andy is looking strong, I'll believe it.
phanatic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: 16 Apr 2011 18:39

24 Feb 2014 18:42

Dazed and Confused wrote:Andy will be fine in LBL and the Tour. Still don't understand why people expect him to perform in other races.

Wanna bet whether he top-10 either?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,075
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

24 Feb 2014 18:48

Netserk wrote:Wanna bet whether he top-10 either?


Not a betting man, but you are welcome to kick me around if he doesn't deliver. Won't back him again if he can't this time.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,161
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

24 Feb 2014 21:07

Netserk wrote:Wanna bet whether he top-10 either?


It would not be a very risky bet IMO. Last year he got 20th, after practically not racing for an entire season, starting out from absolute zero, getting dropped in TDU flat stages, and without paying real attention to his GC placing.

So barring crashes and injury, Top-10 seems realistic this year
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,868
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

24 Feb 2014 21:10

Christian wrote:It would not be a very risky bet IMO. Last year he got 20th, after practically not racing for an entire season, starting out from absolute zero, getting dropped in TDU flat stages, and without paying real attention to his GC placing.

So barring crashes and injury, Top-10 seems realistic this year

So you're on it?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,075
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2014 16:20

For all you Andy fans, why can't he get his form back? is it all in his head or is it that since FS's enhancement bust he is afraid to enhance himself? or is he in effect done as a contender? or is it all of the above??
I not a fan of his, but he sure has fallen off the cliff so to speak, his tour of Oman results did not shine as it were.
Never wait
Junior Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 20 Jul 2011 12:17

25 Feb 2014 16:54

Andy was this time again 34 in green Mountain, but in 2011 he was more than 4 minutes of the winner Nibali, and this time less than 3 minutes from a very strong Froome, and just 1 minute from the same Nibali, so it is a better performance and a good start of the season for him. I would be more worried for his brother, he was some seconds better than Andy, and he used to be in the front in this races...

I spected more froom Andy acording to his words, that is true, but we will see in Pais Vasco if he is ready to fight for Liege and the Tour this year or not, and maybe before that.
User avatar Taxus4a
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,881
Joined: 12 Aug 2012 18:48
Location: Castilla

25 Feb 2014 18:02

Never wait wrote:For all you Andy fans, why can't he get his form back? is it all in his head or is it that since FS's enhancement bust he is afraid to enhance himself? or is he in effect done as a contender? or is it all of the above??
I not a fan of his, but he sure has fallen off the cliff so to speak, his tour of Oman results did not shine as it were.


Simple.
To come back from a bad injury you must be very determined and hard working.
According to nearly every coach he's ever had, he's a shining example of laziness
User avatar GuyIncognito
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,666
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

25 Feb 2014 18:08

Taxus4a wrote:Andy was this time again 34 in green Mountain, but in 2011 he was more than 4 minutes of the winner Nibali, and this time less than 3 minutes from a very strong Froome, and just 1 minute from the same Nibali, so it is a better performance and a good start of the season for him. I would be more worried for his brother, he was some seconds better than Andy, and he used to be in the front in this races...

I spected more froom Andy acording to his words, that is true, but we will see in Pais Vasco if he is ready to fight for Liege and the Tour this year or not, and maybe before that.

Frank punctured at the start of the climb so he lost some time there.
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,383
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

25 Feb 2014 20:40

trevim wrote:Frank punctured at the start of the climb so he lost some time there.



Maybe Cancellara and Andy helped him that way...Andy use to hep his brother in most of the races he race along the year...If that is the case, a good performance by Andy, maybe among the top ten strongest in climb he waited for, and at the end go easy with Cancellara.

Or maybe not...:p
User avatar Taxus4a
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,881
Joined: 12 Aug 2012 18:48
Location: Castilla

25 Feb 2014 21:07

Netserk wrote:So you're on it?


As a rule, I never bet with danes
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,868
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

25 Feb 2014 21:09

Christian wrote:As a rule, I never bet with danes

Don't worry, there's no hook to it :p
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,075
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

26 Feb 2014 01:37

Never wait wrote:For all you Andy fans, why can't he get his form back? is it all in his head or is it that since FS's enhancement bust he is afraid to enhance himself? or is he in effect done as a contender? or is it all of the above??
I not a fan of his, but he sure has fallen off the cliff so to speak, his tour of Oman results did not shine as it were.


The answer will vary according to who you ask. One large factor that probably contributed to the first half of his anonymous 2012 was laziness, Then came his crash and injury and it was a big struggle for him to come back from that. I think it was probably a struggle for him both physically and mentally. In early 2013 when he fell into a pattern of dnf'ing every race a large part of that was a lack of confidence IMO.

So in short, this past couple years he's gone through a very rough time physically and mentally; and now as he tries to come out of it new contenders have emerged like Froome and Quintana for example. And the racing hasn't slowed down in that time either. The good news though is that I think he finally does have his confidence back, now hopefully he has the motivation to push himself to return to his previous levels. Because this year is definitely make or break for him.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

26 Feb 2014 02:14

Afrank wrote:The answer will vary according to who you ask. One large factor that probably contributed to the first half of his anonymous 2012 was laziness, Then came his crash and injury and it was a big struggle for him to come back from that. I think it was probably a struggle for him both physically and mentally. In early 2013 when he fell into a pattern of dnf'ing every race a large part of that was a lack of confidence IMO.

So in short, this past couple years he's gone through a very rough time physically and mentally; and now as he tries to come out of it new contenders have emerged like Froome and Quintana for example. And the racing hasn't slowed down in that time either. The good news though is that I think he finally does have his confidence back, now hopefully he has the motivation to push himself to return to his previous levels. Because this year is definitely make or break for him.


The old Schleck and Contador are gone for good I think. If I am proved wrong so be it. I don't see either of them hitting the podium in a grand tour this year but I would like to see Schleck up there battling with the best riders whether he is successful or not. I have always had the feeling with Schleck that it is the mental strength that is lacking. He really needs to show something this year otherwise it's another season lost and for athletes at the elite level, it's a short career at their peak. The opportunities are not limitless and the next generation of talent is already making themselves known.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,738
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

26 Feb 2014 03:53

movingtarget wrote:The old Schleck and Contador are gone for good I think. If I am proved wrong so be it. I don't see either of them hitting the podium in a grand tour this year but I would like to see Schleck up there battling with the best riders whether he is successful or not. I have always had the feeling with Schleck that it is the mental strength that is lacking. He really needs to show something this year otherwise it's another season lost and for athletes at the elite level, it's a short career at their peak. The opportunities are not limitless and the next generation of talent is already making themselves known.


+1. You were right for the schleck (andy). His mental state is so fragile. I think, it would be hard to see him on the podium again. He was targeting top 10 in Oman, and finished 17 minutes down on the stage that's not even a queen stage. So he got a lot of work to do. Does he has his fire on his belly to transform this year? So far it's hard to tell. But his bro is doing better than him though. Maybe Frank can turn around his year, but to podium in GT, probably not.

On the other hand, Contador, I won't discount him that easy. He is tough mentally, focus and hard working guy. Just for that quality, I believe he can still be in the podium of any GT than Schleck. If he doesn't have mentality of winning or nothing, he probably would have kept his podium spot last year *but that's just a speculation since it didn't end up that way*. Unfortunately, he isn't valverde, "the podium chaser". (nothing wrong with that either). But to say that Contador won't be in the podium, hmm .. i won't be so fast to count him out. At least 'not yet'
User avatar Jelantik
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,538
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 18:30

26 Feb 2014 04:15

Jelantik wrote:+1. You were right for the schleck (andy). His mental state is so fragile. I think, it would be hard to see him on the podium again. He was targeting top 10 in Oman, and finished 17 minutes down on the stage that's not even a queen stage. So he got a lot of work to do. Does he has his fire on his belly to transform this year? So far it's hard to tell. But his bro is doing better than him though. Maybe Frank can turn around his year, but to podium in GT, probably not.

On the other hand, Contador, I won't discount him that easy. He is tough mentally, focus and hard working guy. Just for that quality, I believe he can still be in the podium of any GT than Schleck. If he doesn't have mentality of winning or nothing, he probably would have kept his podium spot last year *but that's just a speculation since it didn't end up that way*. Unfortunately, he isn't valverde, "the podium chaser". (nothing wrong with that either). But to say that Contador won't be in the podium, hmm .. i won't be so fast to count him out. At least 'not yet'


Yes I forgot that most of Froome's rivals apart from Contador are doing the Giro this year. But still Contador has to do better than last year. Of course it would be more interesting if both Schleck and Contador hit good form in July. I think the Giro will be the better race of the two this year. Rodriguez, Porte, Uran and Quintana will be going all out to win their first grand tour plus there are many other good riders taking part.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,738
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 46&twoWheels, Asero831, b.broadhurst, blackmamba, Carstenbf, Der Effe, Eyeballs Out, Googolplex, Hugo Koblet, kanari, Marco Pantani, No_Balls, old.edu, orejas, Ryo Hazuki, Stelvio and 60 guests

Back to top