Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Mar 2014 16:12

Netserk wrote:@Hitch

Wanna avatar bet who finishes highest of Alberto and Roman? ;)

No because I don't think he will. the key part of the sentence I was focusing on was the - "if last year is anything to go by" where Flo was commenting on riders' forms last year.

This year is not last. Contador will be stronger this year I think. For Kreuziger I don't know if thats even possible.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

04 Mar 2014 16:16

del1962 wrote:Difficult as Trek were not at those races

the way people talk on here I would expect him to show up anyways. He really is a pathetic failure for not riding on more than one team so he can win more races. the expectation is that he should peak from now until i get bored and move on to some other insane ideas about cycling.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

04 Mar 2014 17:21

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:the way people talk on here I would expect him to show up anyways. He really is a pathetic failure for not riding on more than one team so he can win more races. the expectation is that he should peak from now until i get bored and move on to some other insane ideas about cycling.

Disgrace for cycling!
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

10 Mar 2014 06:26

Well another bad day at the office for Andy. Crashed and lost time :(
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

11 Mar 2014 13:31

Two stages and he is down over eight minutes, this says a few things about Andy:1, he did not train properly during the off season(lazy) 2, he does not have the mentality/aggressive capacity needed to excel as a bike racer, 3, he is not the same rider without enhancement, 4, all of the above.

We shall see won't we...
Never wait

11 Mar 2014 18:21

Never wait wrote:Two stages and he is down over eight minutes, this says a few things about Andy:1, he did not train properly during the off season(lazy) 2, he does not have the mentality/aggressive capacity needed to excel as a bike racer, 3, he is not the same rider without enhancement, 4, all of the above.

We shall see won't we...

Partly true. He was 22nd on the Green Mountain in Oman, so 8 minutes down after 3 flat stages is not the real representation of his current form.

However, i agree he already quit cycling 2 years ago, only Trek and Andy don't know it yet.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

11 Mar 2014 19:09

Andy did finish with the same time as the front group, but well back one-hundred plus positions behind.
I do wonder what the hell Trek was thinking when they signed him and his shepherd Frank. One is a convicted user, and the other has no ... well... anything...
Never wait

11 Mar 2014 19:22

Never wait wrote:Andy did finish with the same time as the front group, but well back one-hundred plus positions behind.
I do wonder what the hell Trek was thinking when they signed him and his shepherd Frank. One is a convicted user, and the other has no ... well... anything...

And they let go Horner...
User avatar Rollthedice

11 Mar 2014 19:54

Its probably because they are still worth something as well-known riders (andy is a tour winner after all), whereas Horner is never gonna be a super marketable rider aged 40something. Obviously on the road they are basically useless nowadays
willbick

11 Mar 2014 20:37

Well they took a large pay cut apparently. Plus Trek reorganized the team towards youth and classics, sprints and stage hunting. GC is much less important. So I think it was convenient for them to keep the Schleck brothers, because they could surprise and reach their old level, and if not it's not that big of a deal because the team does not rely on them.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

11 Mar 2014 23:39

I'm still patiently waiting for andy to show up. And still patiently waiting of his so called: "slow build up" for LBL and TDF. I don't know if that's still valid in this new era of cycling? But I'm willing to patiently wait... P-N, a race that's more like a classic parcours than GT. Maybe close to LBL, but the first 3 days, don't look so promising.

but.. still waiting..... (patiently)
User avatar Jelantik

11 Mar 2014 23:57

Jelantik wrote:I'm still patiently waiting for andy to show up. And still patiently waiting of his so called: "slow build up" for LBL and TDF. I don't know if that's still valid in this new era of cycling? But I'm willing to patiently wait... P-N, a race that's more like a classic parcours than GT. Maybe close to LBL, but the first 3 days, don't look so promising.

Keep waiting, a quick flick through even Andy's best years, will show you his best results pre classics are Pais Vasco barely cracking the top 20. In 2011 when he should have won the Tour he finished TA 14 minutes down, in 2010 when he did win the Tour he finished the same event 47 minutes down. So even on a good year we'd have seen no signs of life out of Andy thus far. Personally I think it is of greater concern that we haven't yet seen anything from Frank.
karlboss

12 Mar 2014 00:34

Never wait wrote:Andy did finish with the same time as the front group, but well back one-hundred plus positions behind.

Just a wee reminder that doping talk is a no no in the PRR thread. I know this reference is trivial on that front but your previous post also referred. As I said a wee reminder is all. Take your dislike of the Schlecks to the Clinic if you really want to get it off your chest.
User avatar ferryman

12 Mar 2014 02:13

Jelantik wrote:I'm still patiently waiting for andy to show up. And still patiently waiting of his so called: "slow build up" for LBL and TDF. I don't know if that's still valid in this new era of cycling? But I'm willing to patiently wait... P-N, a race that's more like a classic parcours than GT. Maybe close to LBL, but the first 3 days, don't look so promising.

He is doing his job so far without problems. He will be a caracther one day of this P-N, no doubt. It is just a race to built up and help the team, but he will show himself.
User avatar Taxus4a

12 Mar 2014 03:58

karlboss wrote:Keep waiting, a quick flick through even Andy's best years, will show you his best results pre classics are Pais Vasco barely cracking the top 20. In 2011 when he should have won the Tour he finished TA 14 minutes down, in 2010 when he did win the Tour he finished the same event 47 minutes down. So even on a good year we'd have seen no signs of life out of Andy thus far. Personally I think it is of greater concern that we haven't yet seen anything from Frank.

Unfortunately this isn't 2010 and before, when everyone comes to a race for training. In the past two years not only we see a higher level of competition, but also since sky has transformed the meaning of (winter) training, every rider who has won some races in their early season, "most likely" win their GT. So I'm not sure if Andy methods will work in this era of cycling. That's why I'm saying.. I'm waiting if he plans to do things a little different than he used to be. It's been 2 years since he hasn't been competitive. He has wasted 2 years of his youth. If he doesn't show up really soon, the next thing he knows, he'll be 31.

I found it's interesting that everyone immediately counts out Contador as not being able to be a contender. Even though he was on the podium on some of the races he was in and finished 4th at TDF last year. He was rubbing shoulder with the best or the best, still.. some people say he is done. On the other hand, Andy, what he got was a string of DNF, and interestingly enough everyone still believes that he is going to be back to his glory days. He doesn't have the same work ethic and mentality as Contador, how can we think that he'll have more successful come back than Contador? that's why .. I'm waiting patiently.
User avatar Jelantik

12 Mar 2014 04:23

I am being patient as well. But I am hoping he puts in some fight. Right now it seems he is simply riding for the heck of it.
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

12 Mar 2014 05:13

Jelantik wrote:Unfortunately this isn't 2010 and before, when everyone comes to a race for training. In the past two years not only we see a higher level of competition, but also since sky has transformed the meaning of (winter) training, every rider who has won some races in their early season, "most likely" win their GT. So I'm not sure if Andy methods will work in this era of cycling. That's why I'm saying.. I'm waiting if he plans to do things a little different than he used to be. It's been 2 years since he hasn't been competitive. He has wasted 2 years of his youth. If he doesn't show up really soon, the next thing he knows, he'll be 31.

I found it's interesting that everyone immediately counts out Contador as not being able to be a contender. Even though he was on the podium on some of the races he was in and finished 4th at TDF last year. He was rubbing shoulder with the best or the best, still.. some people say he is done. On the other hand, Andy, what he got was a string of DNF, and interestingly enough everyone still believes that he is going to be back to his glory days. He doesn't have the same work ethic and mentality as Contador, how can we think that he'll have more successful come back than Contador? that's why .. I'm waiting patiently.

We are in a new era since 2010, based on what exactly? Andy performed in 2011 after only a podium at Liege. So the new era must be 2012 and 2013, but Hesjedal won the Giro in 2012 off what exactly? So that gives us 2012 Tour and onwards, well apart from the 2012 Vuelta which was won by Contador off barely racing, certainly no winning, then we jump forward to 2013 and Horner winning the Vuelta off virtually no racing. So in the past 2 years 3 out of 6 GTS have been won by someone in great form for the year and 3 have been won by men who've not done much if anything before winning a GT. New era indeed.
I don't think there is anything Andy could do to challenge Froome, but i think he could reach the level of the next best riders. Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Valverde etc. I don't think racing for a result early in the season is part of it.
karlboss

12 Mar 2014 11:14

karlboss wrote: I don't think there is anything Andy could do to challenge Froome, but i think he could reach the level of the next best riders. Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Valverde etc. I don't think racing for a result early in the season is part of it.

Erm......nah
willbick

12 Mar 2014 11:22

willbick wrote:Erm......nah

Could vs will ;)
karlboss

12 Mar 2014 15:57

Jelantik wrote:
I found it's interesting that everyone immediately counts out Contador

just... wow... also how dare andy waste his youth being injured? such a shame he chose to go down that path what scum.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing