Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

31 Mar 2014 21:25

anybody knows why he abandoned at CI sunday?
User avatar Lexman

31 Mar 2014 21:34

Lexman wrote:anybody knows why he abandoned at CI sunday?

???? he abandoned?.. sigh. I didn't see that. I saw Frank.. was awesome.
User avatar Jelantik

31 Mar 2014 22:02

I think if you were dropped on the 5th climb, like he was, you had no chance of finishing anymore. Only 57 riders finished, 18 more were HD. I don't know how long he kept going after he was dropped but I suppose after a while it must have gotten apparent to all these riders that they wouldn't be able to finish.

He was working for his team though:

Don't know how hard he was working though. On the team website, they said "Andy [Schleck] did a very good pull on a climb early on, to break things up. Everyone did the job they should today.” That might also be BS though, you never know with this team propaganda.

In any case I don't think he will be able to do anything special for the Ardennes. He has one week to prepare for País Vasco, then one week racing, then another week to prepare for Amstel. I highly doubt he can make up enough to reach a high level. But apparently he will do Romandy after Liège, so that might be interesting.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

31 Mar 2014 22:42

Christian wrote:I think if you were dropped on the 5th climb, like he was, you had no chance of finishing anymore. Only 57 riders finished, 18 more were HD. I don't know how long he kept going after he was dropped but I suppose after a while it must have gotten apparent to all these riders that they wouldn't be able to finish.

He was working for his team though:

Don't know how hard he was working though. On the team website, they said "Andy [Schleck] did a very good pull on a climb early on, to break things up. Everyone did the job they should today.” That might also be BS though, you never know with this team propaganda.

In any case I don't think he will be able to do anything special for the Ardennes. He has one week to prepare for País Vasco, then one week racing, then another week to prepare for Amstel. I highly doubt he can make up enough to reach a high level. But apparently he will do Romandy after Liège, so that might be interesting.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming please.

He is certainly looking the thinnest I've ever seen him, so maybe it is just slowly coming together. Not holding my breath though...
User avatar ferryman

01 Apr 2014 03:47

Here's some info on A. Schleck, last top 10 finish July-21-2011. Put a fork in him, he's done!
User avatar RiccoDinko

01 Apr 2014 06:12

ferryman wrote:Thanks for the info. Keep it coming please.

He is certainly looking the thinnest I've ever seen him, so maybe it is just slowly coming together. Not holding my breath though...

I think he has been skinnier judging by his legs. Either that or he had bigger muscles.
User avatar T-Nielsen

01 Apr 2014 06:17

He was at least as skinny in the Giro

Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

01 Apr 2014 06:32

I definitely liked what I saw at CI. Frank was in top form and personally I thought he was the strongest in the group ahead. The climb to me wasnt tough enough to drop the others. The only guy that followed him comfortably was Maijka. And Frank attacked relentlessly - that says a lot. These guys definitely train together and at least after seeing Frank at CI I believe Andy will show up sooner or later this season.

Not expecting anything big for now but I feel he will do much better than he did in 2013. Frank's form should indeed have a rub off on Andy.
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

01 Apr 2014 10:27

i just dont know what to say anymore about andy , i was such a big fan 3-4 years ago when he was at his peak , i think its pretty normal for us all to have our favorite rider that we follow more than any other . before all the **** storm i was a massive armstrong fan as im sure many were , but we will say no more about that other than when he disappeared i needed a new hero , it was not long before i found him , his name was andy schleck, watching him go head to head with a pretty awesome contador it was magical to watch , the stage that will stick out to me more than any other was 17 of the 2010 TDF when the two went head to head up the tourmalet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8dkc3rgl4

even though andy could not break contador it really did show the class difference the two of them had over the rest of the field at that time . the following year we saw his solo attack from 60km out up the galibier , it was a performance only champion riders are capable of .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJftXtmlyfc

i just find it very sad that we are highly unlikely to ever see him hit these heights again , i think its possible the injury he sustained in 2012 has had major effects long term , what we have seen over the last year is not the real andy schleck , i still hold some small hope he can return to past glories but its highly likely we have seen the best of him , he could of gone down in the books as one of the greatest attacking cyclists of modern times but its more likely to be a story of a rider who never achieved what he should of achieved .
User avatar shades1

01 Apr 2014 11:32

Andy needs to see both these stages again and again to really know what he is capable of.
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

01 Apr 2014 12:57

saneguy wrote:Andy needs to see both these stages again and again to really know what he is capable of.

The Galibier stage was successful mostly because no one had to chase immediately, the actual contenders only needed to limit the time difference, knowing all a long that the ITT was coming up and Andy had no chance in that discipline, as those results showed. A nice victory for Andy, but a bit hollow in all reality. Tactics employed by the overall contenders ruled the outcome of that day and the overall results.
Never wait

01 Apr 2014 15:35

Is he still racing?
User avatar Escarabajo

01 Apr 2014 15:47

My hope to see the old Andy has waned considerably. I'll still wait for Ardennes and Tour (mostly Tour) like I said I would before declaring anything final on him. But honestly I don't have a ton of confidence we'll be seeing much from him any time soon.

But maybe having low expectations will just make any performance he does achieve all the sweeter.
User avatar Afrank

01 Apr 2014 16:17

andy will be back on arrate in a week's time no problemo
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

02 Apr 2014 00:36

At least one Schleck is doing something. Good to see Frank mixing it up at Paris Nice and Criterium International. I have lost interest in Andy. It's like following a domestique. When he does something I might get interested again.
movingtarget

02 Apr 2014 04:01

I've heard the new black for WT climbers is to go training in Colombia.
He should give it a try.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

02 Apr 2014 05:53

movingtarget wrote:At least one Schleck is doing something. Good to see Frank mixing it up at Paris Nice and Criterium International. I have lost interest in Andy. It's like following a domestique. When he does something I might get interested again.

If only. :cool:
phanatic

02 Apr 2014 17:47

I donot think this to be related to desire. If Frank is ok after 1 year ban, Andy should be mixing it too having greater potential. But most likely pain or something else is preventing him from getting to full power. It is just that they are not revealing the real reason.
IndianCyclist

03 Apr 2014 11:31

phanatic wrote:If only. :cool:

True. Domestiques show more spirit.
movingtarget

03 Apr 2014 11:33

I gave him a lot of time.I had a faith in him.But now.Its over.Good Bye to Andy Schleck "the cyclist".

Good luck to Frank tho:)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing