Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Apr 2014 15:46

Last year Andy was 1.20 down on Dan Martin (Winner) at LBL. That, in a year when he struggled to finish races and the previous year with almost no racing at all speaks a lot for itself. At least to me. I expect him to do well at LBL and even at the tour.

Said it before and now saying it again - his ride on stage 17 at the tour last year was fantastic. That was a good indication of what he could and cannot do. And if you look at the result of that stage, those are the guys against whom he may struggle even this year. So imagining a top 10 in the tour isnt like a fairy tale as most people tend to think.
And we havent even counted the Frank factor yet into all this. With Frank by his side I truly feel this is achievable. And Frank is riding quite well.

I think Christian makes sense when he says a top 10 is indeed possible.

Go Andy Go!!
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

06 Apr 2014 16:49

My, how the mighty have fallen. From biggest talent in the peloton to maybe hoping for a top10 while multiple riders in his age group are now vastly better at every aspect of pro cycling.
User avatar SeriousSam

07 Apr 2014 22:10

After his today's performance, (10min down) I doubt he will ever make it back tot he top.
User avatar Jancouver

07 Apr 2014 22:42

Andy has got everyone where he wants them....ahead of him.
"If you're a cheat, you're a cheat, you're not half a cheat. You wouldn't say, 'I'll cheat here but I'm not going to cheat over there; I'll cheat on a Monday but not on a Tuesday." Dave Brailsford

Doping in cycling didn't start with Armstrong and end when he got busted.
User avatar BYOP88

07 Apr 2014 22:46

Jancouver wrote:After his today's performance, (10min down) I doubt he will ever make it back tot he top.

whoaahh... no wonder. I was looking for andy's name. I for sure know that he is in PV. But can't find his name on the top list. Apparently he finished 10 min down.:D Duh andy, not sure how he can turn his performance that quick by the time LBL comes around. The competition is really high already. He will always one step (if he is lucky) or few steps behind.
User avatar Jelantik

07 Apr 2014 23:28

Jancouver wrote:After his today's performance, (10min down) I doubt he will ever make it back tot he top.

What's your thinking? Do you mean this race or at all?
I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals
- Butch Cassidy
User avatar RobbieCanuck

07 Apr 2014 23:46

i take no enjoyment in saying this because he was my favorite rider a few years back , but i think its all over for him , 10 minutes down today is terrible , he may as well have DNF .

there is just no signs whatsoever of any improvement !!
User avatar shades1

08 Apr 2014 00:12

RobbieCanuck wrote:What's your thinking? Do you mean this race or at all?

I dont think he will ever again be able to ride with the best. He is done. Just look at his brother, he was out for two years and they trained all winter together. Frank is (almost) back, but Andy is just pathetic. He is missing something. Maybe what he is missing is a topic for the clinic :eek:
User avatar Jancouver

08 Apr 2014 00:34

Jancouver wrote:I dont think he will ever again be able to ride with the best. He is done. Just look at his brother, he was out for two years and they trained all winter together. Frank is (almost) back, but Andy is just pathetic. He is missing something. Maybe what he is missing is a topic for the clinic :eek:

Most bookmakers would say name your own odds re Schleck making the top 10 at the Tour even top 20. As for the clinic, yesterday's stage in Spain provides plenty of ammo but if you think too much about that side of things it takes all the enjoyment out of the racing. Let's just say there are no longer any surprises in the sport. Frank looks ok and will improve a lot with more racing. Top 10 might be a stretch for him too at this stage. Lots of hungry, younger riders out there now.
movingtarget

08 Apr 2014 08:37

Nope, decidedly not looking good... even basque fans can only muster up a pitiful smile, and they cheer on everyone!

http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/sites/default/files/styles/halfscreen/public/news/trek_4_3.jpg?itok=kXxHAIkC
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

08 Apr 2014 22:49

Christian wrote:Nope, decidedly not looking good... even basque fans can only muster up a pitiful smile, and they cheer on everyone!

http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/sites/default/files/styles/halfscreen/public/news/trek_4_3.jpg?itok=kXxHAIkC

When you have to use a search on the finish list to find out where he finished on a stage, that is bad. Unfortunately, I've had to more often than not these days. BUT, still not giving up on him just yet. Blind faith maybe, no probably:o
User avatar ferryman

09 Apr 2014 02:07

ferryman wrote:When you have to use a search on the finish list to find out where he finished on a stage, that is bad. Unfortunately, I've had to more often than not these days. BUT, still not giving up on him just yet. Blind faith maybe, no probably:o

After 2009 and 2010 many people completely wrote off Evans chances of winning the Tour and Wiggo winning the 2012 Tour would have been a long shot before the 2012 season started and then there is Horner and the Vuelta. Never say never but Schleck fans can't be too optimistic at the moment about him returning to his previous form.
movingtarget

09 Apr 2014 03:49

I think most Schleck fans would be delighted if he podium'd on any one day or stage race.

If he doesn't show something this year then this is the last year that I cheer Andy on as it is becoming depressing having to scroll all the way down to see where he finished each stage or race.
Savant12

09 Apr 2014 04:33

ferryman wrote:When you have to use a search on the finish list to find out where he finished on a stage, that is bad. Unfortunately, I've had to more often than not these days. BUT, still not giving up on him just yet. Blind faith maybe, no probably:o

That is spot on! I have almost always started to do a CTRL + F "Schleck" coz you know hes gonna be down there somewhere. But I still cant stop hoping for something.

The thing that stumps me is - how can you be so off after one bad season? 2012 was a washout coz of the injury. 2013 was a return to racing. Fine.

Its bloody 2014! And still he cant stay with the front group? Dont win just stay there in the front! Put in a fight at least. Right now he is simply peddling like one of those spectators that wear a Lemond T Shirt and pedal in parallel to the race guys. Thats the Andy as of now. Dont know when will he change tracks and race with the race guys lol...
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

09 Apr 2014 06:02

saneguy wrote:
Its bloody 2014! And still he cant stay with the front group? Dont win just stay there in the front! Put in a fight at least. Right now he is simply peddling like one of those spectators that wear a Lemond T Shirt and pedal in parallel to the race guys. Thats the Andy as of now. Dont know when will he change tracks and race with the race guys lol...

Or the the fat guy in the world champs jersey at Flanders last weekend trying to keep pace with the four leaders!

A Schleck 3-27 down in stage 2 at Pais Vasco, 30 secs behind F.
argyllflyer

09 Apr 2014 06:16

argyllflyer wrote:Or the the fat guy in the world champs jersey at Flanders last weekend trying to keep pace with the four leaders!

A Schleck 3-27 down in stage 2 at Pais Vasco, 30 secs behind F.

Frank punctured with 4k to go when he was in front group.
User avatar VanBsr

09 Apr 2014 07:06

I would really love to see both Contador and the Schlecklets back in top shape for july, but that wont happen with regards to Andy. Sadly. Frank seems to be coming along.
User avatar Cimber

09 Apr 2014 20:02

My gut feeling is telling me that he'll either feature in tomorrows break, or show himself with a nice ride up to Arrate.

Andys time is coming.
User avatar Marco Pantani

09 Apr 2014 20:30

movingtarget wrote:After 2009 and 2010 many people completely wrote off Evans chances of winning the Tour and Wiggo winning the 2012 Tour would have been a long shot before the 2012 season started and then there is Horner and the Vuelta. Never say never but Schleck fans can't be too optimistic at the moment about him returning to his previous form.

One thing we shouldn't forget, Evan and Wiggins are known for working hard and try to win race that they enters. Andy? we all know that he has his layback approach and only show up if the races are called LBL or TDF. So it's really hard to have a high hope for Andy. Just for how much he will commit compare to Evans and Wiggins. Saying that he will commit and actually doing it in and out in the race and training is another two completely different. I'm not surprise why we still skeptical. Right now, if he can make it to the top 10 climber in the world, then it's a triumph for him. But it's really hard to expect much from Andy, especially with a lot of young talent like TJ, Kwiat, Phinaut, Quintana start knocking the door. They even climb better than Andy currently. And sure enough they will improving over the years as Andy is trying to gain his form. Maybe by the time he gains it, these young talent has surpassed him already. If Andy wants to win the "real" TDF (not from the court), he got 2 big challenge. One, get back to be the top climber and two, be good at ITT. That's a tall order.

So far I see only Frank that has the passion, eagerness and the urgency to be back to the top. He said that he has been training hard. And he walked the walked and talked the talked. We all saw in PN and CI some sparks from him. For Frank, I can be optimistic that he'll be back to his level. Andy?... hmm.. dunno when he is going to surface...
User avatar Jelantik

10 Apr 2014 02:59

Jelantik wrote:One thing we shouldn't forget, Evan and Wiggins are known for working hard and try to win race that they enters. Andy? we all know that he has his layback approach and only show up if the races are called LBL or TDF. So it's really hard to have a high hope for Andy. Just for how much he will commit compare to Evans and Wiggins. Saying that he will commit and actually doing it in and out in the race and training is another two completely different. I'm not surprise why we still skeptical. Right now, if he can make it to the top 10 climber in the world, then it's a triumph for him. But it's really hard to expect much from Andy, especially with a lot of young talent like TJ, Kwiat, Phinaut, Quintana start knocking the door. They even climb better than Andy currently. And sure enough they will improving over the years as Andy is trying to gain his form. Maybe by the time he gains it, these young talent has surpassed him already. If Andy wants to win the "real" TDF (not from the court), he got 2 big challenge. One, get back to be the top climber and two, be good at ITT. That's a tall order.

So far I see only Frank that has the passion, eagerness and the urgency to be back to the top. He said that he has been training hard. And he walked the walked and talked the talked. We all saw in PN and CI some sparks from him. For Frank, I can be optimistic that he'll be back to his level. Andy?... hmm.. dunno when he is going to surface...

Yes it's a shame to see talent not being realized. But like you said many young hungry riders emerging now and it won't get any easier for the Schlecks even if they hit good form. Andy is not convincing anyone at the moment.
movingtarget

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing