Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Apr 2014 16:01

He crashed and as a result was a DNF. Understandable IMO. Hopefully he's not too badly injured for LBL.

Frank was 24th. Not too bad.
User avatar Afrank

21 Apr 2014 00:23

Was the crash bad or did Andy just give up and not get back on his bike?
Never wait

21 Apr 2014 02:03

Never wait wrote:Was the crash bad or did Andy just give up and not get back on his bike?

I read on the CN live feed or somewhere else that he made it back to the peloton then stopped because of the pain.
User avatar Unkown

21 Apr 2014 02:33

Jelantik wrote:For someone like andy, we expects more. He was the best elite climber in the world with Contador. Valverde didn't ride for 2 years due to his ban, now he is back in the top with 7 winnings already. Contador didn't ride for 6 months, got his a-ss kicked by young climbers last a year, but managed to get Vuelta win, and now top 1 and 2 and stage win in his first season. Hey even Wout Poehls got injured in accident few months back, back to win a stage and even matched up Contador and valverde today.

Yes andy was injured. But that was like 2011?? now it's 2014, don't you think a caliber talented rider like Andy should have already showed up by now? Dunno, to me just shows andy's mentality and focus is not as strong as his talent. (I hope I'm wrong). Or maybe he should get back to Bjarne team and be a super domestique deluxe for alberto. :D Ow wait. Bjarne probably relief that he doesn't have to deal with andy anymore.

That kid Jungels? for godshake he is only 21 years, and has already out-climbed andy, and he descends like demon. Can andy draw an inspiration from him? Or maybe seeing that blows up his confidence all together :D

Maybe Andy got scared straight and this is his true level ... certainly his brother getting busted could have done it.
woodburn

21 Apr 2014 03:00

I'm speechless that there are 543 pages and counting devoted to this character. Horner will have grandkids by the time some give up pining for the Andy they remember.
chiocciolis_calves

21 Apr 2014 05:37

Never wait wrote:Was the crash bad or did Andy just give up and not get back on his bike?

The only picture I found
User avatar VanBsr

21 Apr 2014 07:38

Do you think that having kids has torn Andy's focus from cycling?
fungusbear

21 Apr 2014 07:52

fungusbear wrote:Do you think that having kids has torn Andy's focus from cycling?

I feel like he never had much focus to begin with.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

21 Apr 2014 15:35

LaFlorecita wrote:I feel like he never had much focus to begin with.

this:(

In comparison with Frank who trains hard this season its pretty obvious.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

21 Apr 2014 15:54

LaFlorecita wrote:I feel like he never had much focus to begin with.

+1. Well said. Everything used to be so easy for him. Now, it's not and we starts seeing who he really is. Just too bad.
User avatar Jelantik

21 Apr 2014 15:56

As a former GT and classics winner who is now a shadow of his former self (:rolleyes:), why isnt there a 500 page thread about the fortunes of damiano Cunego?
willbick

21 Apr 2014 23:07

Calling Christian.

Any update on Andy?
User avatar ferryman

22 Apr 2014 00:54

willbick wrote:As a former GT and classics winner who is now a shadow of his former self (:rolleyes:), why isnt there a 500 page thread about the fortunes of damiano Cunego?

Yeah, I thought about asking the same question in my first post, given that Cunego has more impressive palmares than Schleck. Then again, I don't know that Damiano is as dreamy as Andy. There's an explanation in here somewhere for this Andy-love, but I'm not sure it's been identified yet.
chiocciolis_calves

22 Apr 2014 05:45

chiocciolis_calves wrote:Yeah, I thought about asking the same question in my first post, given that Cunego has more impressive palmares than Schleck. Then again, I don't know that Damiano is as dreamy as Andy. There's an explanation in here somewhere for this Andy-love, but I'm not sure it's been identified yet.

Maybe because Cunego only produced a really strong result in that one GT, Baby Schleck did aftall do well in one GT a' year from 2007-2011, missing a podium only once, but was teammate with the winner and won the white jersey. Cunego was never the only one to challenge an in form Contador in the mountains.
Peter von

22 Apr 2014 06:03

Andy crashed. Was back up on the bike and even made it back to the Peleton. His knee was hurting and hence he abandoned. Even said post race he is not sure about how Fleche and LBL will go.

Perhaps giving up even before it started :(
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

22 Apr 2014 06:30

chiocciolis_calves wrote:Yeah, I thought about asking the same question in my first post, given that Cunego has more impressive palmares than Schleck. Then again, I don't know that Damiano is as dreamy as Andy. There's an explanation in here somewhere for this Andy-love, but I'm not sure it's been identified yet.

Cunego is what is, Andy is what could have been.

Dream with us :P
User avatar T-Nielsen

22 Apr 2014 09:31

At his worst (last year), Cunego is still a decent rider who even wins a race here and there. He scored 381 CQ points in 2013, his worst season by far in 10 years.

Andy hasn't scored above 100 points since 2011.
User avatar hrotha

22 Apr 2014 09:45

ferryman wrote:Calling Christian.

Any update on Andy?

No decision made public yet as to participation in Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège. Personally I think he shouldn't start FW, but he might well try just to see how the knee holds up. After this week, he is supposed to start in Romandie, so if there is a chance to fully recover until then, I'd opt not to start in FW or Liège.

He did not do x-rays, but preliminary diagnoses included something wrong with the synovial bursa or osteochondral damage. The team tries to treat the knee with acupuncture.

In post-race TV interviews, Andy seemed quite depressed. "I almost cried on the bike, not from pain but from disappointment", he said. At the same time, he tries to see the positive, saying that if the crash had happened at 10-15km/h higher speed, the damage could have been far greater.

He says his form is good, and that he is the lightest he has ever been. He is also satisfied with the number of race days he got under his belt so far.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

22 Apr 2014 11:31

Christian wrote:No decision made public yet as to participation in Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège. Personally I think he shouldn't start FW, but he might well try just to see how the knee holds up. After this week, he is supposed to start in Romandie, so if there is a chance to fully recover until then, I'd opt not to start in FW or Liège.

He did not do x-rays, but preliminary diagnoses included something wrong with the synovial bursa or osteochondral damage. The team tries to treat the knee with acupuncture.

In post-race TV interviews, Andy seemed quite depressed. "I almost cried on the bike, not from pain but from disappointment", he said. At the same time, he tries to see the positive, saying that if the crash had happened at 10-15km/h higher speed, the damage could have been far greater.

He says his form is good, and that he is the lightest he has ever been. He is also satisfied with the number of race days he got under his belt so far.

Andy needs to be 100%+ to do anything in FW but he could do well in LBL with less. So in that sence it would make sence to stay out of FW but maybe it would be better mentaly to race.
User avatar T-Nielsen

22 Apr 2014 11:40

Andy it seems to me, became the champion of many of the Armstrong fans and many of those that couldn't find it within themselves to root for Contador. He was the anti-Contador. The fact that primarily because of Contador he was never able to get that grand tour victory (on the road at least) only seemed to draw the battle lines even broader. Cunego had no steady rival after Simoni retired and really had no controversial moments in his career other than the Giro drama of 2004, that would've made cycling fans choose sides. The fact that he's essentially been a non-factor in the most recent years and a shadow of his former self with little attention drawn to himself makes him less of an interest to the media. Andy is in the news lately for his failures and his struggles to return to his previous level. Additionally he and Frank make a an attractive pair for the media to discuss with their supposedly boys-next-door-looks and reported charming personalities.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing