Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

23 Apr 2014 14:27

Christian wrote:Welcome to the forum. Might I suggest for the next time to try and read through a few pages in a thread before replying. Asking for "the fanboys to give it a rest" makes no sense. The only person that could qualify as a fanboy would be me, all the others have either left or been banned. The majority of the discussion lately can be summarized by

a) more or less neutral fans expressing their hope to see Andy return to his previous level, in order to have another rival for Froome
b) the discussion on whether or not this is plausible to happen
c) certain posters continuously expressing their disdain for Andy (seeing that you are new to the forum, I won't bother you with a history lesson, but long story short there used to be a pro- and an anti-Andy thread and this "discussion thread" now includes both)

So again, besides me there are no fanboys that could go away, and I ain't goin nowhere so get comfortable :p

Again, welcome to the forum :)

I've read this forum since its inception. That's the funny thing about the internet. Something like 97-98% of readers never post.

Part of the problem here is on me. I simply wasn't clear enough. Rather than devoting bandwidth and newsprint to riders who are relevant, we get these stories on Andy, as you see yet again today on this site if you go to the homepage. That is driven by the fact that these outlets perceive there are people, quite correctly, that find this soap opera interesting. I do not. Foloowing Frank Vandenbroucke years after he was winning anything was interesting, I suppose, in a morbid, train wreck sort of way. There's nothing like that here, just an also-ran who hasn't done anything in years who sits anonymously in the peloton when he doesn't tangle with gravity. When he was "at the top," I found him to be an annoying whiner, along with his brother. More than a bit precious. Some of you undoubtedly disliked Armstrong. You wished him and his fanboys to go away because he and his followers bled into stories that really didn't involve him and were distractions. That's how I feel when I read a thread or a news story about an upcoming race and find discussion of this character. Did you also scold those folks who wished Lance and the fanboys to just go away?:)
chiocciolis_calves

23 Apr 2014 14:29

happychappy wrote:This is a discussion forum, fortunately it's not limited to the things only you wish to discuss.

I'm marking you down as a "yes" in the offended category.
chiocciolis_calves

23 Apr 2014 15:50

andy seems to be running out time now. He seems to be desperate. I wish him well. Good luck for LBL and TDF. I hope he got his contract renew or he might as well getting a huge pay cut. dunno.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-not-ready-to-give-up-on-cycling
User avatar Jelantik

23 Apr 2014 17:04

DNF again today at Fleche. But I guess that was expected. He said post race that he will go for a MRI tomorrow. I hope it comes clean! Although I have my doubts.

Frank also lost out big time today in the Cunego crash. He didnt fall but lost contact with the front pack at that point. Sheer bad luck for these folks!

Am praying for some luck for these guys. Especially Andy! Lets wait for the update after the MRI. Hey Christian - please let us know as soon as you hear something on this. Definitely want to see Andy back in action and in form.
Andy Schleck - "Perhaps I will be the surprise of July"
saneguy

23 Apr 2014 18:23

The sad thruth may be, that it would be better for Fränk if Andy is not at LBL. No constant checking and worrying about his brother.
User avatar T-Nielsen

23 Apr 2014 18:31

I look forward to reading this thread when Andy is 93 and in an old people's home
willbick

23 Apr 2014 18:37

willbick wrote:I look forward to reading this thread when Andy is 93 and in an old people's home

He'll be your roommate then;)
User avatar Marco Pantani

23 Apr 2014 18:41

chiocciolis_calves wrote:I've read this forum since its inception. That's the funny thing about the internet. Something like 97-98% of readers never post.

Part of the problem here is on me. I simply wasn't clear enough. Rather than devoting bandwidth and newsprint to riders who are relevant, we get these stories on Andy, as you see yet again today on this site if you go to the homepage. That is driven by the fact that these outlets perceive there are people, quite correctly, that find this soap opera interesting. I do not. Foloowing Frank Vandenbroucke years after he was winning anything was interesting, I suppose, in a morbid, train wreck sort of way. There's nothing like that here, just an also-ran who hasn't done anything in years who sits anonymously in the peloton when he doesn't tangle with gravity. When he was "at the top," I found him to be an annoying whiner, along with his brother. More than a bit precious. Some of you undoubtedly disliked Armstrong. You wished him and his fanboys to go away because he and his followers bled into stories that really didn't involve him and were distractions. That's how I feel when I read a thread or a news story about an upcoming race and find discussion of this character. Did you also scold those folks who wished Lance and the fanboys to just go away?:)

Probably yes...cos us cycling fans are a fickle bunch. A lot of what you say is actually on the money and for many of us closer to the truth than we'd imagine.

Andy Schleck came to the sport as a serious talent therefore column inches were well spent on him. He now attracts column space for the all wrong reasons but it's still interesting to us because in the last few years he has been a "winner" as well as a "whiner". In sport anyone who makes as big a hit as he did stays in our interest because train wrecks interest us too and we stick with them till that wreck comes to a grinding halt ie Armstrong.

Personally, I'm not his biggest fan, I find the waste of that god given talent insulting to riders with less talent who would give anything to get the benefits from cycling he's had. Will he get back on it, I hope he does but I can't see it. If he does nothing the rest of the year he'll face a monster pay cut to get a contract with a team and i see that as even more demeaning to him, it will do his motivation no good. I think he's done but we'll keep watching the train wreck
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

23 Apr 2014 18:43

Marco Pantani wrote:He'll be your roommate then;)

Then he'd best be sure that if/when Andy drops his dentures, he waits for him and doesn't leave him behind before going down for din-din at 3:00 PM. I also hope the home makes sure the carpet on the stairs is not too thick, lest the descent become too dangerous.
chiocciolis_calves

23 Apr 2014 19:07

willbick wrote:I look forward to reading this thread when Andy is 93 and in an old people's home

I do too. It will be great to look back and read through the reactions and stories of how Andy inspired people by coming back from what looked like a downward spiral that he would not emerge from to win LBL, the Tour, the Vuelta, and worlds in 2014. And then to follow that up with 3 more Tours plus a couple Giro's.

His trials, struggles, and victories will be recounting for years and he will be remembered as one of the legends of cycling. :cool:

:D
User avatar Afrank

23 Apr 2014 19:44

Butterhead wrote:I´m wondering if Trek is actually paying him salary?
What he delivers is embarrassing.

That's what i find stupid, his salary is probably way to high considering the results, he should stop crying and try to race for once. Never liked Andy, but always liked Frank, i think if Andy is not in Liege, Frank will benefit from it result wise. And deliver a good result!
Vinokourov, Kashechkin, Lutsenko, Ricco and Aru fan, and i am proud of it!
User avatar markene2

23 Apr 2014 22:00

markene2 wrote:That's what i find stupid, his salary is probably way to high considering the results, he should stop crying and try to race for once. Never liked Andy, but always liked Frank, i think if Andy is not in Liege, Frank will benefit from it result wise. And deliver a good result!

The guy has had a lot of bad luck recently. He will return, only a matter of time. I appreciate he's not done anything for a couple of years but he will suddenly appear in a race and unexpectedly layeth the smackdown
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

24 Apr 2014 08:45

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:The guy has had a lot of bad luck recently. He will return, only a matter of time. I appreciate he's not done anything for a couple of years but he will suddenly appear in a race and unexpectedly layeth the smackdown

I´m a born optimist my self, but this? Noway mate, I don´t think he will ever return, unfortunately. From what I remember about Andy is that he never needed a long preparation time to get ready for the tour, 3 weeks, and he was up there where he should be, so this almost 2 years of cycling and still riding like a novice.... its not gonna happen, he wont be back.
User avatar Butterhead

24 Apr 2014 11:30

Butterhead wrote:I´m a born optimist my self, but this? Noway mate, I don´t think he will ever return, unfortunately. From what I remember about Andy is that he never needed a long preparation time to get ready for the tour, 3 weeks, and he was up there where he should be, so this almost 2 years of cycling and still riding like a novice.... its not gonna happen, he wont be back.

His prep time was all the racing and training prior to late April and that time leading to July. From January to late April he's supposedly building to his two targets points of the season. That to me is slow and long prep.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

24 Apr 2014 12:22

Angliru wrote:His prep time was all the racing and training prior to late April and that time leading to July. From January to late April he's supposedly building to his two targets points of the season. That to me is slow and long prep.

Not accordingly to Jensie and Canc, both said its amazing how little time he needs to get in shape, and the word from Jensie back in 2009 was it took him 3 weeks where the rest needed 8 weeks to be at same level.
And it actually ****ed Jens a bit, course everybody else had to work so hard for it, but not Andy, it came to easy for him he said.
I think you can find the interview on youtube.
User avatar Butterhead

24 Apr 2014 13:37

markene2 wrote:That's what i find stupid, his salary is probably way to high considering the results, he should stop crying and try to race for once. Never liked Andy, but always liked Frank, i think if Andy is not in Liege, Frank will benefit from it result wise. And deliver a good result!

Gotta remember, John Burke is a Bicycle manufacturing guy, not a Bike racing guy. Those that he put in charge of who to sign onto his team should be kicked in the backside for signing Andy to anything but an incentive based contract, anyone who has followed pro cycling for a while knows that after this much time the chances of Andy coming back is quite small to nil.
Never wait

24 Apr 2014 13:39

Butterhead wrote:Not accordingly to Jensie and Canc, both said its amazing how little time he needs to get in shape, and the word from Jensie back in 2009 was it took him 3 weeks where the rest needed 8 weeks to be at same level.
And it actually ****ed Jens a bit, course everybody else had to work so hard for it, but not Andy, it came to easy for him he said.
I think you can find the interview on youtube.

2009 is so long ago.
User avatar T-Nielsen

24 Apr 2014 14:46

T-Nielsen wrote:2009 is so long ago.

And this is the rub, Andy is older now, he needs more time to find his form, the problem is that he is quite unaccustomed to having to work extra hard to get to that point. And that is a problem compounded by his weak mental/emotional level, and yes 2009 was along time ago, his injury was a long time ago as well, and he has not come close to having his previous riding form since said injury. Will Andy turn it around and be more than an also ran? that remains to be seen. Imo he has around a ten percent chance to get back to where he was.
Never wait

24 Apr 2014 14:48

He should retire.
User avatar the asian

24 Apr 2014 14:56

the asian wrote:He should retire.

NO! Never! :eek: He can't retire. If he retired who would I talk up endlessly as the rider everyone has lost faith in that will inevitably prove everyone wrong and return to his former glory with one epic magnificent ride?
User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing