Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

23 Jun 2014 17:07

Red Rick wrote:No he shouldn't. GT's are the races that feature the most climbing in high mountains, which are his great quality.

Imo he should go for stages in shorter stage races, except for races like Catalunya, where he could actually win if he was back in shape and if the weather didn't suck so bad

well a week race is also features good long mountain. I mean, he needs to learn how to win again. At least he can train his body to perform well in 1 week, before going to 3 weeks. He needs to go back to winning again. If a kid like chavez, who didn't even in breakaway can steal a win in Galibier at TdS, as a former best climber in the world, Andy is certainly can. If he is still good and show some sparks, he should have been finished at least top 10, not top 30? He got out climbed by young kid, that must have been devastating for him.
User avatar Jelantik

23 Jun 2014 19:59

hfer07 wrote:so is confirmed officially that Andy won't go to the Tour.....yet?

Nothing is confirmed. Trek's general manager Guercilena says they will decide the tour team tomorrow morning. They will list their 9 riders and 4 reserve riders.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/clock-ticking-on-tour-de-france-selection-for-schleck
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0

23 Jun 2014 20:57

yespatterns wrote:I seriously can't determine.if you guys are.epic trolls or just in love with a mentally broken has been/never was. The guy just needs to get off his bike, cuddle his brother and call it good. Celebrating someone's top 30 is just sad.

lol

Funny, yet true. Andy Schleck now can't even climb as good as Tony Martin. Send him to the glue factory already.
offbyone

23 Jun 2014 21:24

Jelantik wrote:well a week race is also features good long mountain. I mean, he needs to learn how to win again. At least he can train his body to perform well in 1 week, before going to 3 weeks. He needs to go back to winning again. If a kid like chavez, who didn't even in breakaway can steal a win in Galibier at TdS, as a former best climber in the world, Andy is certainly can. If he is still good and show some sparks, he should have been finished at least top 10, not top 30? He got out climbed by young kid, that must have been devastating for him.

Lol ! Wow propose already
senatorrick

23 Jun 2014 21:50

offbyone wrote:lol

Funny, yet true. Andy Schleck now can't even climb as good as Tony Martin. Send him to the glue factory already.

Yeah. Schleck is just embarassing. I hope he doesn't get picked for the Tour.
User avatar SeriousSam

23 Jun 2014 22:34

phanatic wrote:Yep. Keep it classy.

Sorry, it's pretty well accepted that the guy has had some sort of mental lapse. This is the internet where opinions, predictions, criticisms, etc. fly like the wind. Unlike Andy. What's not 'classy' is a guy who needs some sort of intervention, and a flash drive with all of the Cure and Smith's greatest hits, pretending like he's a contender. Get over it: The guy is done. The best we as fans can hope for is that he gets his head straight. Short of going clinical, that's about all i have to say about him and his departure from success.
User avatar yespatterns

24 Jun 2014 05:19

yespatterns wrote:Sorry, it's pretty well accepted that the guy has had some sort of mental lapse. This is the internet where opinions, predictions, criticisms, etc. fly like the wind. Unlike Andy. What's not 'classy' is a guy who needs some sort of intervention, and a flash drive with all of the Cure and Smith's greatest hits, pretending like he's a contender. Get over it: The guy is done. The best we as fans can hope for is that he gets his head straight. Short of going clinical, that's about all i have to say about him and his departure from success.

Fair enough.
phanatic

24 Jun 2014 06:25

Sorry, that was overly harsh on my part. My main point was he should look after himself and not go down the same road as Ricco, et als, in the respect maybe he'd be healthier and happier away from pro cycling.
User avatar yespatterns

24 Jun 2014 11:47

yespatterns wrote:Sorry, that was overly harsh on my part. My main point was he should look after himself and not go down the same road as Ricco, et als, in the respect maybe he'd be healthier and happier away from pro cycling.

Andy and Ricco seem like polar opposites to me. But either way, I really didn't expect Andy to recover at all from his injury in the 2012 Dauphine. It's beginning to look like his top 20 at the TDF last year was an anomaly, but as far as I'm concerned Andy should be allowed to ride in with the bus every day until he feels strong enough to compete again. Because when that day comes:
cycling is never more beautiful.
phanatic

24 Jun 2014 12:12

phanatic wrote:Andy and Ricco seem like polar opposites to me. But either way, I really didn't expect Andy to recover at all from his injury in the 2012 Dauphine. It's beginning to look like his top 20 at the TDF last year was an anomaly, but as far as I'm concerned Andy should be allowed to ride in with the bus every day until he feels strong enough to compete again. Because when that day comes:

Why didn't you expect him to recover from his injury?
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

24 Jun 2014 12:30

Angliru wrote:Why didn't you expect him to recover from his injury?

From what I gather it was much more serious than many thought at first, rushing him back to racing I doubt helped at all
peloton

24 Jun 2014 13:43

Angliru wrote:Why didn't you expect him to recover from his injury?

The hip injuries I'd heard about previously have been pretty debilitating. So no real reason, just an uninformed prejudice.
phanatic

24 Jun 2014 13:51

phanatic wrote:The hip injuries I'd heard about previously have been pretty debilitating. So no real reason, just an uninformed prejudice.

Good riders have come back from worse injuries than that and still performed well. I don't think it's just physical. It's hunger, motivation also and god knows what else. This thread should be closed for maintenance it's such a downer.
movingtarget

24 Jun 2014 14:37

Before his Dauphine 12 crash, he was as crap as today. Remember Bruyneel hitting out the Schlecks.
User avatar Forunculo

24 Jun 2014 15:41

Forunculo wrote:Before his Dauphine 12 crash, he was as crap as today. Remember Bruyneel hitting out the Schlecks.

I blame Bruyneel. The whole team was rotten that year, and Bruyneel did nothing to help. Not even Horner could win anything. The Schlecks had shared the podium at LBL and the TDF in 2011, so Bruyneel decides a shake-up was needed with their prep and race program. And that was the last that was heard of them.
phanatic

24 Jun 2014 16:56

This is at the end of one of the queen stages of past Tour, a hard stage that knocked SKY, Andy followed by Froome, Contador and Quintana...last year he finished TdS 40th and later he coudnt finish Lux championship. This year he finished TdS 29th. If he is lucky the first week, he is expected to be better this year in the mountains...Why must he be out of the Tour? Who is goint to be stronger in Trek?
He needed just to do some hard competition in Suisse.
If he is supposed to be as good as he is, he is a dissappointing man almost all the year, but if you talk to be top 15 in TdF or win a stage...there is nothing still to think he cant do it that this year.
User avatar Taxus4a

24 Jun 2014 16:58

phanatic wrote:Andy and Ricco seem like polar opposites to me. But either way, I really didn't expect Andy to recover at all from his injury in the 2012 Dauphine. It's beginning to look like his top 20 at the TDF last year was an anomaly, but as far as I'm concerned Andy should be allowed to ride in with the bus every day until he feels strong enough to compete again. Because when that day comes:

Im glad u dont have to pay his salary
willbick

24 Jun 2014 17:08

Taxus4a wrote:Image

This is at the end of one of the queen stages of past Tour, a hard stage that knocked SKY, Andy followed by Froome, Contador and Quintana...last year he finished TdS 40th and later he coudnt finish Lux championship. This year he finished TdS 29th. If he is lucky the first week, he is expected to be better this year in the mountains...Why must he be out of the Tour? Who is goint to be stronger in Trek?
He needed just to do some hard competition in Suisse.
If he is supposed to be as good as he is, he is a dissappointing man almost all the year, but if you talk to be top 15 in TdF or win a stage...there is nothing still to think he cant do it that this year.

Who knows who they take, but I imagine these guys could all get a better overall result and climb better than him: Busche, Kiserlovski, Arrendondo, Popovych, Zubeldia

I guess it is all philosophy. Personally if I was the DS I wouldn't reward him for his crap performances by wasting a tour team spot on him. On the other hand, his contract is immense and he has a large fan base, so maybe management pressures them to put him in just for the marketing. But you can't possibly think he deserves a spot.
offbyone

24 Jun 2014 17:43

Has Andy 'earned' a spot on the Trek TDF squad based on results? Probably not.

Would I put him on on the squad? Absolutely.

If last year is any guide (and it may not be), his form will pick up over the next few weeks. But, I think trying to target a top 15 is a waste of his ability. Let Frank look after the GC and Andy can freewheel home on the cobbled stage or one of the rolling UK stages and take himself off the radar of the favorites. Then he can go for stage victories and/ or KOM points. Rui Costa (2013) and Tomas Voeckler (2012) would be examples of this type of strategy paying off.
djpbaltimore

24 Jun 2014 17:46

offbyone wrote:Who knows who they take, but I imagine these guys could all get a better overall result and climb better than him: Busche, Kiserlovski, Arrendondo, Popovych, Zubeldia

I guess it is all philosophy. Personally if I was the DS I wouldn't reward him for his crap performances by wasting a tour team spot on him. On the other hand, his contract is immense and he has a large fan base, so maybe management pressures them to put him in just for the marketing. But you can't possibly think he deserves a spot.

Kiserlovski and Arredondo just finished the Giro, they need a break. It would be stupid to send them to do the Tour now.

Busche DNFed in Suisse (his placings-122, 137, 72, 48, 60, 37). Placings not that much better then Andy, and at least Andy finished.
Popovych's placings in Dauphine- 105, 114, 95, 118, 111, 97, 72, 144, 147. Not really that much better then Andy in Suisse, eh.
Zubeldia, sure he's been decent enough and will likely get a spot. But Andy's inclusion isn't going to be kicking him out or anything.

Edit, to give more info on some of these guys, Christians post 4 days ago-
Christian wrote:Dauphiné:
Zubeldia 28th at 30 minutes
Devolder DNF with illness
Roulston DNF with injury IIRC

Suisse:
Fränk DNF with concussion and hip injuries
Busche DNF with tendonitis

If they truly select the riders by form and recent results, Andy has to be there. He looks the best in shape right now out of all the possible Tour participants from Trek.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing