Register

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

10 Oct 2014 12:39

Echoes wrote:I didn't say they hate, I said they don't give it a crap... How can you hate something you don't care about?

Hushovd, Gilbert and Wiggins are not riders I particularly care about and yet they know what Paris-Roubaix is.

Caricaturing won't help you, dude.

Fine, no one here cares about the classics. :rolleyes:

Btw, you're right. You don't need any help from me. You've made yourself into a caricature.
User avatar jaylew

10 Oct 2014 15:16

Still find it very sad how his career ended when looking back. It seemed after his great Giro in 07 that he had the cycling world at his feet. Incredible wins at LBL 09 and up the Galibier in 2011 showed us how great he really could be when at his best.

Unfortunately that was as far as he could go, the records will always show he is a Tour winner but im sure even he will admit that it's a hollow win when he didn't step up on top in Paris with the yellow jersey. Nevertheless to podium in 4 GT's is a very fine achievement. It must have been shattering for him to get keep picking himself up after each setback including his bad fall in the Tour this season.

I hope he finds happiness in whatever he chooses next, he sure gave a lot of his fans (me included) some great days over the years.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

11 Oct 2014 02:03

Bye Bye Baby.

It's a shame he didn't live up to the expectations and wasted his talent.

But he still gave us some wonderful moments include the stages to Galibier and Alpe De Huez and ofc his battles with Bertie in the 2010 Tour.

And unlike most other Eternal Bridesmaids he had the good fortune to get rewarded due to Bertie's misfortune.

Ultimately he will be regarded as a rider with a **** weak mentality who wasted his talent,, who could have built up a better plamares if not for his obsession with then Tour and of course a lucky Tour winner
User avatar the asian

11 Oct 2014 02:26

The good:
His Giro podium
His LBL win
His battles with Contador in the mountains of the Tour
Galibier

The bad:
His incessant whining
The Anglo media's force feeding of him & Frank as cycling's favorite boys next door
Late April and July were the only times we would see him at his best with the exception Olympics (Samu's win) and his Giro win

And the Ugly:
He and Stuey's bar-hopping in Spain when they were supposed to be resting to ride in support of loving brother Frank
Chaingate and the "Belly full of anger"
He and Frank's perfect leadout for Philip Gilbert's LBL win
His knock-kneed, knees rubbing against his top tube, hideous riding style
His legendary dislike for training (he'd rather be fishing!)

I wish him luck and happiness in his after cycling life.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

11 Oct 2014 03:18

Well that saves a perrenial cq spot on my team.

Its sad though.

Looking back the years Schleck was good were golden years compared to what cycling is now. Well the 2009 Tour sucked real bad, but the other 4 he competed in + that Giro were better than the gts weve been getting recently.

And the attack on stage 18 2011, 60km out, made up for all his lack of attacking pretty much the rest of his career, it was that good, and only Contador from the recent era has done anything remotely similar.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Oct 2014 05:04

The Hitch wrote:Well that saves a perrenial cq spot on my team.

Its sad though.

Looking back the years Schleck was good were golden years compared to what cycling is now. Well the 2009 Tour sucked real bad, but the other 4 he competed in + that Giro were better than the gts weve been getting recently.

And the attack on stage 18 2011, 60km out, made up for all his lack of attacking pretty much the rest of his career, it was that good, and only Contador from the recent era has done anything remotely similar.

Harmon seemed to be the only one not impressed with that attack and referred to it in the following year's Dauphine commentary. Also had a dig at his brother saying that neither of them had the fire in the belly. Brian Smith seemed to agree with that statement and said that Andy did not try often enough, at that point of the Dauphine he had been dropped on a minor stage and was riding with sprinters and chatting with Vino in the pack. Smith said he was not trying and it certainly looked that way, he also said that the fans of Schleck and the team deserved better. This is why Andy never had the passionate fanbase other riders had. He was popular but for other reasons.

I enjoyed his attack on the Galibier but it was like his team and Schleck himself just woke up to the danger of Evans on GC with only two mountain stages to go which I found very odd and both Schlecks had made it easy for Evans up till then. I think they expected Contador who was not at his best to do more attacking and they only seemed to worry about him. All the time Evans was sitting just off the top of GC in a very good position especially with the final TT to come.

I liked watching Andy when he performed re the Galibier stage and his Liege win but for me and many others, the performances were too few and I don't mean the periods when he was recovering from crashes or injuries. Still I wish him luck with his future.
movingtarget

11 Oct 2014 07:14

Angliru wrote:The good:
His Giro podium
His LBL win
His battles with Contador in the mountains of the Tour
Galibier

The bad:
His incessant whining
The Anglo media's force feeding of him & Frank as cycling's favorite boys next door
Late April and July were the only times we would see him at his best with the exception Olympics (Samu's win) and his Giro win

And the Ugly:
He and Stuey's bar-hopping in Spain when they were supposed to be resting to ride in support of loving brother Frank
Chaingate and the "Belly full of anger"
He and Frank's perfect leadout for Philip Gilbert's LBL win
His knock-kneed, knees rubbing against his top tube, hideous riding style
His legendary dislike for training (he'd rather be fishing!)

I wish him luck and happiness in his after cycling life.

Don't agree, I liked his style
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

11 Oct 2014 07:19

Can't we just abandandy this thread now
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

11 Oct 2014 14:44

Cipo: "Now, look at Schleck, look at Contador. They’re extraordinary athletes, but come on. They’re small, skinny, light, like a pair of show ponies.”

From a pretty good article on CN: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mario-cipollini-the-wounded-lion-king
Dazed and Confused

11 Oct 2014 15:00

Dazed and Confused wrote:Cipo: "Now, look at Schleck, look at Contador. They’re extraordinary athletes, but come on. They’re small, skinny, light, like a pair of show ponies.”

From a pretty good article on CN: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mario-cipollini-the-wounded-lion-king

yeah, I'm sure small, skinny climbers didn't exist before the year 2000.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

11 Oct 2014 16:32

Never really was a fan but I do miss the Andy that would animate the Ardennes.
User avatar jaylew

12 Oct 2014 00:45

Dazed and Confused wrote:Cipo: "Now, look at Schleck, look at Contador. They’re extraordinary athletes, but come on. They’re small, skinny, light, like a pair of show ponies.”

Cipo: Calls Contador/Schleck a pair of gays - speaks himself about "handsome men"

:rolleyes:
People who don't understand cycling must think Contador is a pretty violent person, when all they hear is Contador ATTACKS, ATTACKS ,ATTACKS

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
User avatar No_Balls

14 Oct 2014 08:56

No_Balls wrote:Cipo: Calls Contador/Schleck a pair of gays - speaks himself about "handsome men"

:rolleyes:

Reading that article merely confirmed what I'd always thought; Cipo was an egomaniac tool.

It's sad to see just how many of these Great White Hopes ended up as nearly men. Was Andy oversold or just under=performed?
Electress

14 Oct 2014 09:22

I willl miss him...i was praying for him to win against evens in that 2011 tt.....
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

14 Oct 2014 10:34

Electress wrote:
Was Andy oversold or just under=performed?

Both, but mostly under performed IMO.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

15 Oct 2014 18:01

I'm just rewatching stage 9 of the 2010 Tour and I don't know if I should be happy about the memories Andy left, or get depressed because he could've done so much more.
User avatar Marco Pantani

15 Oct 2014 20:36

Marco Pantani wrote:I'm just rewatching stage 9 of the 2010 Tour and I don't know if I should be happy about the memories Andy left, or get depressed because he could've done so much more.

Be happy, no point in wondering what could have been. The past is gone and over, and it shouldn't be dwelled on. Just look back fondly and remember the memories Andy gave us while he was active in the sport. :)
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

15 Oct 2014 22:41

I had the good fortune to actually meet Andy. When he was injured and out of the tour. I was on Alpe D'Huez and stumbled upon a promo appearance he was doing. He was with his now wife. He asked where I was from (accent). He and the Mrs. could not have been nicer. We had a cool conversation. And I really wanted him to come back to the top form. Sadly it was not to be. I look back on his career and just appreciate it more now. The guy was a beast climber. Peaked to early. Great admiration for what he accomplished. Guy was a class act!
thehook

22 Oct 2014 16:40

Would love to have seen a top form Andy tackle the 2015 Tour. If ever there was a route that favoured him...

Top form Andy on this course > top form Cadel, Wiggins, Alberto, Froome, Nairn IMO of course
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

22 Oct 2014 16:45

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Would love to have seen a top form Andy tackle the 2015 Tour. If ever there was a route that favoured him...

Top form Andy on this course > top form Cadel, Wiggins, Alberto, Froome, Nairn IMO of course

Was 2010 top form Andy? If so Contador would then take time on the three hill finishes and the ITT, and would only have to mark him from then on. We saw how Andy couldn't drop him on Tourmalet, so I don't really see how you can have him ahead of Contador.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing