Register

The Rapha hater thread

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

The Rapha hater thread

28 Jul 2011 22:32

I hate the stuff. It is more than lifestyle marketing taken to ludicrous levels. It is a brand that is barely half a decade old pretending that it is steeped in the history of the sport. The entire brand reeks of phoniness.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
User avatar Damiano Machiavelli

28 Jul 2011 23:06

well aren't you glad you got that off your chest. :D
mmmm. . . . leftover pie.
User avatar leftover pie

28 Jul 2011 23:39

leftover pie wrote:well aren't you glad you got that off your chest. :D

**** me, if your avatar doesn't give that comment an extra dimension!
User avatar Archibald

28 Jul 2011 23:44

leftover pie wrote:well aren't you glad you got that off your chest. :D

I did have to get it off my chest. Every time I see marketing material from Rapha, I roll my eyes and wonder who falls for that kind of con job.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

29 Jul 2011 00:17

While the marketing may have a little too much fromage for the sensitive palate, the simple colours, pump sleeve and security of a zip pocket do tick a few boxes for me when selecting jerseys…
KnockloftyNomad

29 Jul 2011 01:07

KnockloftyNomad wrote:While the marketing may have a little too much fromage for the sensitive palate, the simple colours, pump sleeve and security of a zip pocket do tick a few boxes for me when selecting jerseys…

So get a GBP15 red jersey from ProBikeKit

Have to agree with others that Rapha is for people with more money than sense.
User avatar Martin318is

29 Jul 2011 01:16

You hate the culture they front, I get it. I also own one of their jackets, best I've ridden since the old Castelli stuff from ten years ago.

Don't knock it if you've never tried it is a good rule of thumb to go by. Don't hate the player, hate the game. ;) You know what I mean.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 01:19

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:I hate the stuff. It is more than lifestyle marketing taken to ludicrous levels. It is a brand that is barely half a decade pretending that it is steeped in the history of the sport. The entire brand reeks of phoniness.

Is the product any good?
User avatar MarkvW

29 Jul 2011 01:28

I also rode Colnago for many years, soon to be back on it too and people immediately pigeonholed me into the dentist, lawyer, dr., cpa, bullcraploadof**** typical stereotyping based on brand association. It's a really weak position to take, no different with Rapha or any other high zoot brand. Ya ever think, hmmm maybe they make decent stuff for what they're charging?
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 01:51

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Ya ever think, hmmm maybe they make decent stuff for what they're charging?

If I want to pay Assos prices then I will buy Assos, a brand that actually has the history and tradition that Rapha can only pretend to have. And for the prices, their stuff is made in Europe instead of the cheapest far eastern sweatshop that Rapha can find.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------

29 Jul 2011 01:53

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:If I want to pay Assos prices then I will buy Assos, a brand that actually has the history and tradition that Rapha can only pretend to have. And for the prices, their stuff is made in Europe instead of the cheapest far eastern sweatshop that Rapha can find.

I also own Assos, many kits worth. You ever try Rapha gear, or are you just blowing steam off after work, picking targets?
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 02:12

One of the guys I ride with loves Rapha - he has 2 or 3 of the jerseys (the French, and Italian ones) and a couple of their knicks, and swears by them.
He also reckons the merino wool base layers are the ducks nuts, and I didn't give it a 2nd thought til he bought me a couple. They are awesome - hard to believe such a thin, lightweight under garment works so well.

As for the knicks - I will wait til my Sugoi and Pearl Izumi ones are worn out, then consider!
Marcuccio

29 Jul 2011 02:31

I'll just say one thing, fashion critics are nothing, wear what suits you, ride and be happy. :)
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 02:33

Martin318is wrote:So get a GBP15 red jersey from ProBikeKit

Have to agree with others that Rapha is for people with more money than sense.

Fair point, but by the same token Sora is perfectly acceptable for 99.86% of all training rides and a Kia Rio is a great automobile for a trip to the local shops. For the product itself Rapha isn’t all that expensive, in fact it’s more like the BMW 3 series of the cycling clothing world. ;)
KnockloftyNomad

29 Jul 2011 02:45

icebreaker wrote:Well, goodie for the OP. Stupidest thread in a long time.

I buy Rapha and wear it happily. It is the most stupidly comfortable stuff I've worn in 25 years.

I don't feel like a rolling billboard, the bibs and CX knicks are the most comfortable I've ever owned. bar none.

So to the OP, have at it. Couldn't care less. Blow your 15 year old brains out.

It sounds like somone fell prey to the poserwear marketing campaign and is now miffed that someone had the gall to point it out. Do not worry. I am sure that your rides will be at least 50% more epic while wearing Rapha. You can then lounge around the coffee shop while loudly swapping epic stories with the bros.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------

29 Jul 2011 03:01

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:It sounds like somone fell prey to the poserwear marketing campaign and is now miffed that someone had the gall to point it out. Do not worry. I am sure that your rides will be at least 50% more epic while wearing Rapha. You can then lounge around the coffee shop while loudly swapping epic stories with the bros.

Cool story
User avatar mulletCobra

29 Jul 2011 03:07

Have you ever tried any Rapha gear for the 3rd time? Prolly no. I see, just another fashion critic. :D
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 03:10

KnockloftyNomad wrote:Fair point, but by the same token Sora is perfectly acceptable for 99.86% of all training rides and a Kia Rio is a great automobile for a trip to the local shops. For the product itself Rapha isn’t all that expensive, in fact it’s more like the BMW 3 series of the cycling clothing world. ;)

To clarify - I have worn both and could not really see the GBP100+ difference in the two. Yes, the Rapha shirt was a bit nicer than the PBK one, but I did not find it any better than the Castelli or Nalini ones I own.

When I was in the UK I found the whole Rapha Tweedy riding a Brompton to work at the trading floor pretty cute to be honest.

The only issue I have with Rapha really - and to make use of your good analogy - is that to me, Rapha is an Audi A4 fighting with BMW 3 series, at Porsche prices...
User avatar Martin318is

29 Jul 2011 03:15

You know what would be funny as hell is if you started typing this thread while wearing painted on jeans, thrift store plad, smoking an American Spirit while adjusting your neon framed sunglasses and twirling your eurostach. Now that would be so 'ironical'.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

29 Jul 2011 03:21

Martin318is wrote:The only issue I have with Rapha really - and to make use of your good analogy - is that to me, Rapha is an Audi A4 fighting with BMW 3 series, at Porsche prices...

Have friends in the industry? Retail is for suckers Martin... ;)
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

Next

Return to General