Register

The importance of crank length to the cyclist.

27 Oct 2012 22:25

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's more than just anecdotal. It's biased because the anecdote is woefully incomplete.

I'm OK with anecdotal reports, they have their place (and we rely on them at our peril), but people should at least provide all the other elements of the anecdote that are relevant.

You know, silly things like training history that would more than likely have a far greater influence on such outcomes than what cranks you are using.
I would agree that this anecdote is woefully incomplete as regards trying to draw any conclusions. Although, I am not so sure you are so "OK" with anecdotal reports when it relates to PowerCranks. I mean, have you ever heard of one you thought having any validity? Or, any of those anecdotal reports posted here related to crank length?
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
FrankDay

27 Oct 2012 23:18

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:How have you (or he) established this causal link?

I just repeated what he told me. It's anecdotal of course.
Sample size of one etc.
I just found it an interesting comment.
His running may have improved for other reasons. Who knows?
But his cycling hadn't improved at all. After 5 years.
Sorry if this was the wrong place to bring this up but I thought I had previously seen a lot of discussion about PC's on this thread.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity[/SIZE][/color]
User avatar Polyarmour

27 Oct 2012 23:26

Polyarmour wrote:I just repeated what he told me. It's anecdotal of course.… but I thought I had previously seen a lot of discussion about PC's on this thread.
Lots of users attribute benefits (be it cycling or running) to using the product. The problem is, of course, the naysayers (most of whom have zero experience with the product) just cannot believe that it is even possible that the reports are true or that these observers know what they are talking about. Thanks for participating. I appreciate the anecdote. Just another to add to a very long list.
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
FrankDay

29 Oct 2012 19:46

FrankDay wrote:Lots of users attribute benefits (be it cycling or running) to using the product. The problem is, of course, the naysayers (most of whom have zero experience with the product) just cannot believe that it is even possible that the reports are true or that these observers know what they are talking about. Thanks for participating. I appreciate the anecdote. Just another to add to a very long list.

Do people need experience with cigarettes to know they have negative health consequences? Could they not save time and money by looking at the research?

A very short list by comparison to the list of winners and people who improve at riding who don't worry about crank length, use a normal crank and a natural pedalling style.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie

29 Oct 2012 21:18

Forum Attrition Warfare at it's finest form here. :p
User avatar Zam_Olyas

07 Dec 2012 21:09

"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

08 Dec 2012 01:17

LOL www.petejacobs.com/uncategorized/power-cranks-training-racing/

And, of course, this post in a forum: http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=47691&st=50 scroll down to PeePee's post where you will find this:
The one person who has used my Powercranks most in the past 5 years is none other than a certain Pete Jacobs, who runs quite well now.
One might wonder what is really going on here. People train on the product for a substantial period they are PowerCrankers in my opinion. Fraudulent claims indeed. LOL
FrankDay

08 Dec 2012 02:09

Let's let him put it in his own words:

pete jacobs þ@petejjacobs
I do not use Power Cranks despite what has been advertised by them. #nothappy
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

08 Dec 2012 04:47

BroDeal wrote:Let's let him put it in his own words:

The fact that some companies that pay him big bucks to use their product have made him disavow "current use" of a product he used in the past (without needing to being paid anything) to improve his athletic performance says little about the respective value of the several non-competing products, wouldn't you say?
FrankDay

08 Dec 2012 22:10

FrankDay wrote:The fact that some companies that pay him big bucks to use their product have made him disavow "current use" of a product he used in the past (without needing to being paid anything) to improve his athletic performance says little about the respective value of the several non-competing products, wouldn't you say?

And I once used a crap jacket from Pearl Izumi. I would not expect PI to claim credit for my wins because years ago I tried their poorly designed clothing. It would be dishonest and slimy advertising.

Again, we should let Jacobs put it in his own words:

User avatar BroDeal

11 Dec 2012 17:21

BroDeal wrote:And I once used a crap jacket from Pearl Izumi. I would not expect PI to claim credit for my wins because years ago I tried their poorly designed clothing. It would be dishonest and slimy advertising.

Again, we should let Jacobs put it in his own words:

Ha ha nice.

More evidence of how desperate Frank is.

What evidence do you have that Gimmickcranks lead to an improvement in performance for Pete?
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

11 Dec 2012 18:17

CoachFergie wrote:Ha ha nice.

More evidence of how desperate Frank is.

What evidence do you have that Gimmickcranks lead to an improvement in performance for Pete?

Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.
coapman

12 Dec 2012 01:15

coapman wrote:Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.

Wasting valuable training time / detraining.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

12 Dec 2012 11:15

Yes time.

Training in a non specific way to how you perform.

Weight of the product.

Aerodynamics of the product.

No scientific support for the product.

Noel, you want to check out Graeme Orbree's new book on training. Looks like he his stealing your pedalling technique and has a very good way of explaining the technique. Better than anything we have heard from you. Pity there is no scientific support for the method even though the means to evaluate it have been around for at least 30 years.
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

15 Dec 2012 21:01

coapman wrote:Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.

Possibly increased risk of an overuse injury.
acoggan

24 Dec 2012 11:59

CoachFergie wrote:
Noel, you want to check out Graeme Orbree's new book on training. Looks like he his stealing your pedalling technique and has a very good way of explaining the technique. Better than anything we have heard from you. Pity there is no scientific support for the method even though the means to evaluate it have been around for at least 30 years.

If he has a better way of explaining it, how does his technique differ from the one you are using and where do the main advantages lie. You always believed technique does not matter.
coapman

24 Dec 2012 19:06

coapman wrote:You always believed technique does not matter.

Ha ha most of my coaching is technique.

It's your technique that doesn't matter.

The techniques I coach have a biomechanical and physiological basis to them.
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

24 Dec 2012 19:19

CoachFergie wrote:Ha ha most of my coaching is technique.

It's your technique that doesn't matter.

The techniques I coach have a biomechanical and physiological basis to them.

You never answer questions, instead you try to wriggle your way out with a vague reply. You say Obree explained it, how does it differ from natural pedaling.
coapman

24 Dec 2012 20:00

There is a 7.5mm difference between the cranks on my track bikes, and those on my race bikes.

I haven't noticed a huge difference, in all honesty. Probably would if I upped the length the same amount.
User avatar Joachim

24 Dec 2012 22:35

coapman wrote:You never answer questions, instead you try to wriggle your way out with a vague reply. You say Obree explained it, how does it differ from natural pedaling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Obree-Way-cyclists-ebook/dp/B0094382WC
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

PreviousNext

Return to General