Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

National Football League

12 Aug 2011 04:17

The new (pre) season just started.

My Fav´s are the Packers if the OL stays healthy. They underachieved the last regular season thanks to timid play calling by McCarthy. But he eraned all my respect back with his great SB-Plan: Go out all passing since he knew Pitt had the best Run-Defense. Chapeau.

The Bears if the OL Problems are solved. I look forward to the mad prof Mike Martz. Will the Jekyll and Hide brothers (Martz/Cutler) have another rollercoaster season? Anyway, it´s fun to watch them, since you never know what you get. Go Bears.

The Saints with it´s efficient passing. Payton preaches balance, but we all know he´s gonna let´em throw. And that´s good news. 70´s Football is over, only the pundits still have not understood it.

AFC: As always; the Patriots. Gutsy Beli-Cheat at work... The Q is, will he (be allowed to) ever win another Playoff-Game?

The Chargers... ah no, they have Norv the Smurf. The worst (play calling) coach in the history of all pro sports. All the talent is wasted in San Diego since 2006. What a sad story.

And BTW, Defense does not win Championships:
http://community.advancednflstats.com/2011/02/defense-wins-championships.html

Enjoy the season, Cheers :)
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111

12 Aug 2011 04:31

Titans gonna win the whole thing!!! (In my Madden game, that is :o:p)
User avatar jobiwan

12 Aug 2011 04:59

My niners take the weak NFC west! They get over 500 in quite a few years! Will root against the Eagles! Will the Broncos play The Chosen one Tebow to either do well with him or get Andrew luck next year???
User avatar rides like a girl

12 Aug 2011 05:38

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:The new (pre) season just started.

My Fav´s are the Packers if the OL stays healthy. They underachieved the last regular season thanks to timid play calling by McCarthy. But he eraned all my respect back with his great SB-Plan: Go out all passing since he knew Pitt had the best Run-Defense. Chapeau.

The Bears if the OL Problems are solved. I look forward to the mad prof Mike Martz. Will the Jekyll and Hide brothers (Martz/Cutler) have another rollercoaster season? Anyway, it´s fun to watch them, since you never know what you get. Go Bears.

The Saints with it´s efficient passing. Payton preaches balance, but we all know he´s gonna let´em throw. And that´s good news. 70´s Football is over, only the pundits still have not understood it.

AFC: As always; the Patriots. Gutsy Beli-Cheat at work... The Q is, will he (be allowed to) ever win another Playoff-Game?

The Chargers... ah no, they have Norv the Smurf. The worst (play calling) coach in the history of all pro sports. All the talent is wasted in San Diego since 2006. What a sad story.

And BTW, Defense does not win Championships:
http://community.advancednflstats.com/2011/02/defense-wins-championships.html

Enjoy the season, Cheers :)

NFL, OL, SB, AFC, Q, BTW.... WTF? Have you just quoted a Billy Joel song???? :D
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

12 Aug 2011 09:50

What, no talk about the Jets? Steelers? Colts? These teams should still be quite good. Also think the Ravens could be very good.

Anyone watch the games? In Seattle Charlie Whitehurst clearly outplayed Tavaris Jackson, even though Jackson has been in that offensive scheme for five years and Whitehurst has only seen it for two weeks. In Oakland their QBs looked upside down as well. Campbell played okay, but Boller was better, and 3rd stringer Edwards looked sharpest.

Denver is going to have to play Tebow at some point this season. They took him in the 1st round, he's a big name. I think they are hoping Orton will play well, so they can trade him and then play Tebow. Bad idea.

As bad as Denver is, they aren't going to get Andrew Luck. Washington, Seattle, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Carolina should all be worse. The other QB in next year's draft is Matt Barkley out of USC and he too has big NFL potential.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

12 Aug 2011 09:59

so glad that we get a full season.

i want to see big hits (steelers ravens)
explosive backs CJ2K, AP

i'm not american so don't really support a team but like Pats (parents took me to boston when i was young) and ravens (ray lewis, ed reed)

i'd quite like to see less clinic activities or at least an acknowledgement that it is a problem.
lancaster

12 Aug 2011 10:16

For those of us who don't understand much about football, why was Tebow so good at college football but isn't really rated in the NFL?
patterson_hood

12 Aug 2011 13:15

patterson_hood wrote:For those of us who don't understand much about football, why was Tebow so good at college football but isn't really rated in the NFL?

The speed of the people he is playing against is completely different. In college, he was facing defenses where there might have been a few guys on the other side who were fast, but not everyone. That, and his team was superior to most college football teams, so they faced defenses that they were better than in most positions. I the pros, everyone starting was the fastest or strongest guy on their college team, so all of that scrambling around in the NFL will get you killed. He might have been fast in college, but in the pros, he is nothing special. That and his throwing motion is slow. In college, you can get away with that, but in the pros, that extra time allows a quick acting lineman to get his hands up, or that corner to get to him before he releases. In college, if there is one huge guy on the defensive line, you can throw to either side of him. In the pros, everyone is huge. And fast. Speed kills, and people like Tebow who like to scramble around to find a way to make a play work get killed in the pros because everyone has ridiculously fast closing speed. He just does not have the time in the pros to scramble around.
Thoughtforfood

12 Aug 2011 15:08

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:The Bears if the OL Problems are solved. I look forward to the mad prof Mike Martz. Will the Jekyll and Hide brothers (Martz/Cutler) have another rollercoaster season? Anyway, it´s fun to watch them, since you never know what you get. Go Bears.

Well, the Bears let ornry center Olin Kreutz go, who was picked up by the Saints. And the Bears signed ex-Seattle center Chris Spencer to replace him. Spencer did not start last night and is second in the depth chart at center. But maybe Spenc was signed as a backup anyway... he was not very good in Seattle. So maybe it'll work out for the Bears. But if they had intended Spenc to replace Olin....

Edit: excuse me... Bears did not play last night. Still, Spenc is 2nd in the depth chart.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Aug 2011 15:31

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone watch the games? In Seattle Charlie Whitehurst clearly outplayed Tavaris Jackson, even though Jackson has been in that offensive scheme for five years and Whitehurst has only seen it for two weeks. In Oakland their QBs looked upside down as well. Campbell played okay, but Boller was better, and 3rd stringer Edwards looked sharpest.

Denver is going to have to play Tebow at some point this season. They took him in the 1st round, he's a big name. I think they are hoping Orton will play well, so they can trade him and then play Tebow. Bad idea.

As bad as Denver is, they aren't going to get Andrew Luck. Washington, Seattle, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Carolina should all be worse. The other QB in next year's draft is Matt Barkley out of USC and he too has big NFL potential.

I watched most of Hawks vs Chargers. I too thought Whitehurst's passes looked sharper and more on target than TJax. But TJax showed that 'ohh-ahh' elusiveness that any Seattle QB I'm afraid is going to need at least to start the season with (if not all season). There's just too many new things that have been introduced in Seattle this offseason for them to be good out of the starting gates (especially in the short preseason)... new Offensive Coord, new line coach, new starting RG and RT. And heaven forbid they will be sunk if last year's 1st round pick LT Russell Okung, who reinjured his ankle last night, can't go all season and is replaced by Ty Polumbus. If Polumbus has to play the QB is going to need wheels and the running game better work. Even vet LG Gallery missed some assignments. But there's reason for hope with line coach Cable, and Seattle showed some good push up front on some run plays. But because Seattle has so many new things to deal with I think they will get better as the season progresses. Defensively, I hope their new 6'4" corner does well enough to unseat CB Jennings, and then move Jennings to nickle.

In the race for Andrew Luck... as you said before: 'Suck for Luck' :D
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Aug 2011 15:34

McNabb as a Viking will be interesting to watch. As a Vikes fan, I hope it goes better than Washington.
User avatar Bag_O_Wallet

12 Aug 2011 15:43

Bag_O_Wallet wrote:McNabb as a Viking will be interesting to watch. As a Vikes fan, I hope it goes better than Washington.

McNabb should be ok. Question is, how fast can he learn another system? That may be the determining factor. Do you know how similar the Redskins and Vikes offensive systems are? I'm not familiar with either of them.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Aug 2011 15:45

I just hope the Eagles don't win. They remind me too much of the Miami Heat!
User avatar jobiwan

12 Aug 2011 15:47

Shame for the haters that the Eagles will win. Years of cautious planning come home to roost and they're the only ones with any money to spend this free agency.

Add in a new scheme on both lines which appears to be working well already, and a damn weak schedule, they can spend the year preping for playoffs.
Waterloo Sunrise

12 Aug 2011 15:48

on3m@n@rmy wrote:McNabb should be ok. Question is, how fast can he learn another system? That may be the determining factor. Do you know how similar the Redskins and Vikes offensive systems are? I'm not familiar with either of them.

I think they're running a West Coast... which I think he's used to from Philly.... I think some of the guys on the NFL network were saying that's why it would be a good fit for him.
User avatar Bag_O_Wallet

12 Aug 2011 15:50

Bag_O_Wallet wrote:I think they're running a West Coast... which I think he's used to from Philly.... I think some of the guys on the NFL network were saying that's why it would be a good fit for him.

If so then that will work in his favor. If he has a great year it will make the 'Skins look pretty stupid.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Aug 2011 15:51

on3m@n@rmy wrote:If so then that will work in his favor. If he has a great year it will make the 'Skins look pretty stupid.

That's nothing new :p
User avatar jobiwan

12 Aug 2011 15:51

on3m@n@rmy wrote:If so then that will work in his favor. If he has a great year it will make the 'Skins look pretty stupid.

To be fair, more or less everything they've done in the last 15 years has made the 'Skins look pretty stupid.

I'm beginning to think they might actually be pretty stupid.
Waterloo Sunrise

12 Aug 2011 15:55

Bag_O_Wallet wrote:McNabb as a Viking will be interesting to watch. As a Vikes fan, I hope it goes better than Washington.

Glad to be rid of him again.

As if being a Hammer isn't bad enough, for my sins I'm also a Redskins fan.:mad: My 'other' team is the Ravens, purely because my girlfriend lives near Balmer. Of course, like everyone else, I hate the Cowboys.:D

And the Eagles, and the Pats.....:p

Sadly, neither of my teams will come anywhere near a sniff of the SB.
User avatar Amsterhammer

12 Aug 2011 15:56

jobiwan wrote:I just hope the Eagles don't win. They remind me too much of the Miami Heat!

Haha! If things go bad for my Seattle team, I was just thinking of making the Eagles my next fav team.

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Shame for the haters that the Eagles will win. Years of cautious planning come home to roost and they're the only ones with any money to spend this free agency.

Money to spend for sure, since they no longer have the big QB contracts like they did with McNabb. Instead they have (what I think must be) much smaller contracts with reborn QBs like Mike Vick and Vince Young.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Next

Return to General