Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

09 Aug 2018 15:10

jmdirt wrote:I agree that the pre season doesn't always show us what WILL happen (for a lot of reasons), BUT, it does show us some things. For example: we will likely see if Andrew Luck is able to be an elite QB again (that doesn't mean that he will look elite in the preseason, but there will be signs). We saw that RGIII looked OK, etc. We saw that the new helmet rule is going to be messy.

Agree w/what you and Alpe say regarding pre-season games. But for me, this pre-season feels different (e.g. more exciting) primarily because we have so many young QB prospects who I'm dying to see how they work out. At this point we already have some idea, with probably the worst QB hot prospect being the Bills Josh Allen, who reportedly is struggling with the mental part of the game. So are the Bills the new Cleveland? Seeing as how the Bills (& others) passed on Josh Rosen, who reportedly is doing very very well and impressing everyone in Phoenix.

Speaking of Cleveland, and Baker Mayfield: Will Baker Mayfield showing up an hour and 15 later than Tyrod Taylor in the mornings be an indicator? Or will he respond to the HC's request to show up an hour earlier?

Closer to home for me, Seattle OL situation is intriguing under new OL coach Mike Solari. For starters, weeks ago newly retired DE Cliff Avril said RT Germain Ifedi (Sea top pick several years ago) is struggling because he has an entitlement based attitude problem. In the past week in scrimmages, Ifedi has committed too many (back to back) penalties, which prompted HC Pete Carroll to publicly criticize his play by calling it "really disappointing". This week Ifedi was benched and replaced by rookie 5th round pick Jamarco Jones (Buckeyes), who is a natural LT. The question will be, can he adjust to the right side?

Lots of preseason games starting today over the next 2 days:
THURSDAY, AUGUST 09TH
BROWNS@GIANTS
PANTHERS@BILLS
BEARS@BENGALS
STEELERS@EAGLES
SAINTS@JAGUARS
BUCCANEERS@DOLPHINS
REDSKINS@PATRIOTS
RAMS@RAVENS
TITANS@PACKERS
TEXANS@CHIEFS
COWBOYS@49ERS
COLTS@SEAHAWKS

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10TH
FALCONS@JETS
LIONS@RAIDERS

SATURDAY, AUGUST 11TH
VIKINGS@BRONCOS
CHARGERS@CARDINALS
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: National Football League

10 Aug 2018 10:29

A few mistakes but overall a pretty impressive debut for Baker Mayfield. Watch every one of his passes:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/watch/highlights-every-throw-from-baker-mayfields-debut/vi-BBLJshE
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

11 Aug 2018 14:17

A very limited sample, but Luck looked like he is on track.
Ones I didn't see, but: Mayfield/Taylor, Darnold/Bridgewater, Kesler, Weeden played well.
And not to only talk about QB, how about Shaq Griffin leading all tacklers (9)?!
jmdirt

Re:

11 Aug 2018 23:03

jmdirt wrote:A very limited sample, but Luck looked like he is on track.
Ones I didn't see, but: Mayfield/Taylor, Darnold/Bridgewater, Kesler, Weeden played well.
And not to only talk about QB, how about Shaq Griffin leading all tacklers (9)?!

Well, Shaquem Griffin showed he is a baller. Even if minus one hand. Quick, fast, instinctive, & explodes to the ball. He was all over the place, while still covering his responsibilities on plays. So fast, linemen have hard time getting to him.

Seattle OL looks much improved, tho too early to tell for sure.

Glad to see Luck back. Physically he looks fine.

I watched Taylor/Mayfield. Both played well. But Baker stood out. He has potential to be a stud. Really impressed how easily he moves around in the pocket, & keeping eyes downfield.

Also watched McCown/ Bridgewater/ Darnold. All 3 played well, but Darnold showed why people think he's a future star.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

14 Aug 2018 12:28

Agree on Mayfield. While it's hard to tell in preseason with all the 2nd and 3rd stringers, he made excellent decisions and some solid throws. It's only a matter of time before he's the starter. I'd say if they start 0-2, by week three against the Jets he should see time or even start. Same with Rosen, who is supposedly going to start on the bench. Not sure about Allen yet, who despite his incredible arm, needs work. I won't be surprised if Darnold starts week 1 in NY, which the Jets say he might.

Other QB's not thought of, Jackson in Baltimore looked solid. He was very mobile, but mostly kept his eyes down the field and looks like he could have a chance in the future to start. And Mr. Irrelevant, Chad Kelly, outplayed Paxton Lynch in Denver and has a reputation in camp by teammates of being an extremely hard worker, bumping up to #2 on their depth chart, giving the Broncos some surprising hope.

Saquon Barkley had one great run for the Giants, and made a couple rookie mistakes, but you could see his potential.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

14 Aug 2018 15:18

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Agree on Mayfield. While it's hard to tell in preseason with all the 2nd and 3rd stringers, he made excellent decisions and some solid throws. It's only a matter of time before he's the starter. I'd say if they start 0-2, by week three against the Jets he should see time or even start. Same with Rosen, who is supposedly going to start on the bench. Not sure about Allen yet, who despite his incredible arm, needs work. I won't be surprised if Darnold starts week 1 in NY, which the Jets say he might.

Other QB's not thought of, Jackson in Baltimore looked solid. He was very mobile, but mostly kept his eyes down the field and looks like he could have a chance in the future to start. And Mr. Irrelevant, Chad Kelly, outplayed Paxton Lynch in Denver and has a reputation in camp by teammates of being an extremely hard worker, bumping up to #2 on their depth chart, giving the Broncos some surprising hope.

Saquon Barkley had one great run for the Giants, and made a couple rookie mistakes, but you could see his potential.

Welcome back. Good points too. I think Bleacher Report called the Jets QB position as their most competitive position.

As for Lamar Jackson, solid yes, but raw at the same time. I actually thought RGIII looked more solid than Lamar. To stay healthy, Lamar needs to take less risks when he takes off running.

Paxton Lynch looked awful for Denver, so not surprised Chad Kelly has moved ahead of Paxton to #2 on the QB depth chart. Chad showed a lot of promise at Ole Miss before he was injured. And I'm sure uncle Jim has provided some helpful advice.

Saquon showed good patience on his first touch in an NFL game resulting in that big run.

Not many positives appear to be coming out of the Raiders camp. In fact, I'm hearing mostly negatives. It does not help that LT Penn has as Lisfranc fracture, so line coach Cable is trying rookie 1st rounder Kolton Miller ar LT. Fortunately they are calling Penn's Lisfranc a fracture and not torn ligaments, which could potentially require a much longer healing time than a fracture, and possibly surgery. But overall, I'm not sure if the negatives are from a bunch of Gruden naysayers or if there's actually some meat to it.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

15 Aug 2018 12:13

Yeah, pretty much the only thread I post in, or read much anymore.

I think Gruden drafted Miller thinking this may happen with Penn, but this also means the Raiders OL may be a work in progress, and we saw how well Cable did with a line in perpetual progress in Seattle. The Raiders bigger issue, as I see it, is they don't want to negotiate a longer contract with Mack, who is entering his prime. This is especially problematic as it finally looks like the Raiders may have a good front 7 in the years to come, with both Hurst and Hall showing real promise on the DL.

There's been talk that Arnold signing an extension with the Rams will open the door for the Raiders and Mack as it will give them a guide, so we'll see, but there's also been talk that the Raiders could actually trade Mack away for a few high draft picks and cash, which I think would be a huge mistake. Rarely does someone of his talent and drive come along.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

15 Aug 2018 13:01

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Agree on Mayfield. While it's hard to tell in preseason with all the 2nd and 3rd stringers, he made excellent decisions and some solid throws. It's only a matter of time before he's the starter. I'd say if they start 0-2, by week three against the Jets he should see time or even start. Same with Rosen, who is supposedly going to start on the bench. Not sure about Allen yet, who despite his incredible arm, needs work. I won't be surprised if Darnold starts week 1 in NY, which the Jets say he might.

The boss isn't giving Kelly much love, telling the media that they are looking for someone (around the league). He made a comment about not completely trusting Kelly to come in and win games.
jmdirt

15 Aug 2018 13:43

Just chiming in to say excitement for the season over here in Australia is high.

It's a great time of year, every fan's hopes and dreams for their team are still more or less alive - even the Browns.
User avatar leftover pie

15 Aug 2018 22:07

Take a glance at the Browns schedule and guess how many games you think they may win. Well, you did use the word "hope". :-)
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

16 Aug 2018 00:09

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Take a glance at the Browns schedule and guess how many games you think they may win. Well, you did use the word "hope". :-)

The Bengals could completely implode this year, there's 2 wins, same goes for the Ravens.... there's another 2, the Jets while full of potential are flaky at the best of times, now we're up to 5 wins... Chargers with a hot/cold Phillip Rivers - there's potential there - 6 wins..who knows which Buccaneers will show up this year, 7 wins, Texans late in the season by which time JJ Watt will be injured and they could be on to their 3rd QB, there's 8 wins, the Panthers might have checked out by then too - 9 wins.

They could be going to the playoffs !!!
User avatar leftover pie

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2018 04:04

leftover pie wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Take a glance at the Browns schedule and guess how many games you think they may win. Well, you did use the word "hope". :-)

The Bengals could completely implode this year, there's 2 wins, same goes for the Ravens.... there's another 2, the Jets while full of potential are flaky at the best of times, now we're up to 5 wins... Chargers with a hot/cold Phillip Rivers - there's potential there - 6 wins..who knows which Buccaneers will show up this year, 7 wins, Texans late in the season by which time JJ Watt will be injured and they could be on to their 3rd QB, there's 8 wins, the Panthers might have checked out by then too - 9 wins.

They could be going to the playoffs !!!

Well, I don't think that's impossible. Especially this year where seems to be more parity; the previously really good teams may not be quite as good, and the worst teams are not as bad and could be dangerous.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

16 Aug 2018 04:16

leftover pie wrote:Just chiming in to say excitement for the season over here in Australia is high.

It's a great time of year, every fan's hopes and dreams for their team are still more or less alive - even the Browns.

What do you think punter Michael Dickson's chances are of beating out reliable vet Jon Ryan in Seattle? I think it's pretty good. After 1 preseason game: 3 punts net yardage of 47.3, long of 61 yards.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2018 07:22

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
leftover pie wrote:Just chiming in to say excitement for the season over here in Australia is high.

What do you think punter Michael Dickson's chances are of beating out reliable vet Jon Ryan in Seattle? I think it's pretty good. After 1 preseason game: 3 punts net yardage of 47.3, long of 61 yards.

That's pretty good! I'd like to see him make it in because we always get the Seahawks games here.

I had a quick google and i see he uses the “bent-leg” technique - which gave me a chuckle that someone would give it a name.
User avatar leftover pie

16 Aug 2018 07:23

Not sure about his chances though, I know the Seahawks had trouble with their kicker last year, but Ryan has been pretty solid for them.

Perhaps Dickson should pack up and head to the Browns - he could be the difference maker!!
User avatar leftover pie

16 Aug 2018 12:34

Care to place a friendly wager on the Browns making the playoffs? ;)

According to Eliot Harrison of NFL.com, the Browns are 31 in power rankings, with only the Colts below them, due to a series of injuries, Luck's unknown, new coaches, and other issues there. I don't think they'll go 0-16, but I'll be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

JMDirt was right about Elway and their QB situation, who is now saying he may be looking to add a veteran QB to the roster. This can only mean Lynch is done there if it happens. I'm sure they'd love to trade him away, but he's basically an old maid, maybe even call him a bust at this point. But Elway talks like the Broncos are a playoff team now that they have Keenum in at QB. Really? Maybe because the division itself doesn't have a powerhouse team?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

16 Aug 2018 14:43

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Care to place a friendly wager on the Browns making the playoffs? ;)

According to Eliot Harrison of NFL.com, the Browns are 31 in power rankings, with only the Colts below them, due to a series of injuries, Luck's unknown, new coaches, and other issues there. I don't think they'll go 0-16, but I'll be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

JMDirt was right about Elway and their QB situation, who is now saying he may be looking to add a veteran QB to the roster. This can only mean Lynch is done there if it happens. I'm sure they'd love to trade him away, but he's basically an old maid, maybe even call him a bust at this point. But Elway talks like the Broncos are a playoff team now that they have Keenum in at QB. Really? Maybe because the division itself doesn't have a powerhouse team?

Lynch along with Goff and Wentz was expected to do well coming out of college. Goff really picked up when McVey arrived and Fisher departed but I'm surprised with the performances of Lynch. Wentz of course has done very well so all in all it wasn't a bad year for QBs that year. Like the look of the Browns QB so far.
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Aug 2018 00:29

Good article on Gruden and Chucky, in Oakland training camp.
Gruden's players reported to training camp last month and hit the practice field with passion and purpose.

"Everybody was full of piss and vinegar," Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson recalled Wednesday. "But then, on the third day, guys started feeling a little tired, and there was a bit of a lag. And that's when Chucky came out."

Ah, Chucky: Gruden's alter ego, named after a demonic doll from the "Child's Play" horror movie franchise and popularized during his first stint with the Raiders... Suffice it to say that most of the men on the practice fields behind the Napa Valley Marriott Hotel and Spa on Day 3 of training camp lacked first-hand experience with Chucky.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000948127/article/energized-jon-gruden-stresses-urgency-in-oakland
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

17 Aug 2018 07:29

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Care to place a friendly wager on the Browns making the playoffs? ;)

if they make the playoffs you have to grow a moustache and keep it for a year.

if they don't i'll shave mine off.
User avatar leftover pie

17 Aug 2018 11:48

I don't see the Browns in the playoff THIS YEAR.

Next year if they continue to improve is another matter, they do have a lot of good pieces to build upon
User avatar Catwhoorg

PreviousNext

Return to General