Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

12 Jan 2019 19:29

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Another good post.
The Hitch wrote:For the other games I would side with the Saints over the Eagles. I am wary of the Eagles - i remember when the Cardinals crushed GB in 2015 50-7 or some such, and then 4 weeks later in the playoffs it went to OT.

One could create a big list of games and seasons like that.

2003 Colts get whipped at home 31-17 by the Broncos in week 16, and it wasn't nearly as close as the score. Two weeks later they easily beat them in the playoffs, 41-10.

In 2010 the 14-2 Patriots just dismantled the Jets in December, 45-3. Come divisional playoff time? They gave probably the most lackluster performance in Belicheck's history against the same Jets (with Mark Sanchez!) losing 28-21.

And of course there's the 2007 season, where the perfect Patriots beat the Giants in the regular season, easily putting up 38 points, only to lose the SB to them, barely able to score 14 points, their lowest output all season.

As to teams looking unstoppable during the season, then folding in the playoffs, how about the 2011 Packers? 15-1, rest a slew of players after crusing, then lay an egg in the divisional round against the Giants. The defense giving up 37 points, the most they had all year.

As I said Rams over the Cowboys easy. And if they don't win this that should expose Mcvay totally.

I don't disagree, at least it would remove some shine, but Wade Philips would be canned. I think signing Fowler was also maybe a mistake, Suh likely as well. This reminds me of the old Eagles "dream team" which was just piling on free agents, not thinking who would play well together.
And ill take Indy as favourites for next year. Cos that is a damn strong team they are building.

Don't disagree there at all. I had concerns Luck's shoulder would have gone the way of Chad Pennington, but he looks like the QB we all thought he could be. This team is solid, has depth as well.

And while I'm at it, I don't think the Bears have that much to worry about. They are in a really good position. I also refuse to believe the Falcons will have another year like they did this season. That team is way too talented. A lot of people like the Browns, but they lack some depth, and still need help at a variety of positions. They could be a real wildcard contender next year though. I also have a little bit of faith that the Bills will improve a fair amount and surprise some people. We'll see there though.

Not as high as you on the Bears. Ill be honest, wasn't high this year and they proved me wrong.

But I doubt them for next year anyway, because 1 defensive teams don't last as long as offensive based teams. I feel like theres more variation in defensive rankings year to year. And this is especially true if the defensive team doesn't have a great qb. Look at the 2 championship round teams from last year - VIkings and especially Jags.

Also feel like their division underperformed. VIkings have way more talent than that. Green Bay had their worst season with Rodgers. Detroit were hot and cold under their first year coach.

I'm high on Falcons. They had lots of injuries. And they didn't end up that far from the playoffs. But may only have 1 or 2 good seasons left with Jones so need to take advantage next year.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 00:54

The Hitch wrote:
The Hitch wrote:For the other games I would side with the Saints over the Eagles. I am wary of the Eagles - i remember when the Cardinals crushed GB in 2015 50-7 or some such, and then 4 weeks later in the playoffs it went to OT.

2003 Colts get whipped at home 31-17 by the Broncos in week 16, and it wasn't nearly as close as the score. Two weeks later they easily beat them in the playoffs, 41-10.

In 2010 the 14-2 Patriots just dismantled the Jets in December, 45-3. Come divisional playoff time? They gave probably the most lackluster performance in Belicheck's history against the same Jets (with Mark Sanchez!) losing 28-21.

And of course there's the 2007 season, where the perfect Patriots beat the Giants in the regular season, easily putting up 38 points, only to lose the SB to them, barely able to score 14 points, their lowest output all season.

As to teams looking unstoppable during the season, then folding in the playoffs, how about the 2011 Packers? 15-1, rest a slew of players after crusing, then lay an egg in the divisional round against the Giants. The defense giving up 37 points, the most they had all year.

As I said Rams over the Cowboys easy. And if they don't win this that should expose Mcvay totally.

I don't disagree, at least it would remove some shine, but Wade Philips would be canned. I think signing Fowler was also maybe a mistake, Suh likely as well. This reminds me of the old Eagles "dream team" which was just piling on free agents, not thinking who would play well together.
And ill take Indy as favourites for next year. Cos that is a damn strong team they are building.

Don't disagree there at all. I had concerns Luck's shoulder would have gone the way of Chad Pennington, but he looks like the QB we all thought he could be. This team is solid, has depth as well.

And while I'm at it, I don't think the Bears have that much to worry about. They are in a really good position. I also refuse to believe the Falcons will have another year like they did this season. That team is way too talented. A lot of people like the Browns, but they lack some depth, and still need help at a variety of positions. They could be a real wildcard contender next year though. I also have a little bit of faith that the Bills will improve a fair amount and surprise some people. We'll see there though.

Not as high as you on the Bears. Ill be honest, wasn't high this year and they proved me wrong.

But I doubt them for next year anyway, because 1 defensive teams don't last as long as offensive based teams. I feel like theres more variation in defensive rankings year to year. And this is especially true if the defensive team doesn't have a great qb. Look at the 2 championship round teams from last year - VIkings and especially Jags.

Also feel like their division underperformed. VIkings have way more talent than that. Green Bay had their worst season with Rodgers. Detroit were hot and cold under their first year coach.

I'm high on Falcons. They had lots of injuries. And they didn't end up that far from the playoffs. But may only have 1 or 2 good seasons left with Jones so need to take advantage next year.

I think the window is closing for the Panthers and Falcons. Neither team has looked good since their respective Super Bowl losses and I think the Falcons miss Shanahan's scheming. Plenty of teams have been decimated by injuries but of course without the depth on squads, it's worse for some teams.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 01:02

Well that was disappointing. It took the Colts almost an entire half to make a first down. Their run defense was awful..........just as well Kareem Hunt didn't play ! Stupid offside penalties and their first good drive of the game ended with a missed kick. Mahomes looked like the veteran not the rookie and the Colts offense looked a lot like the Bears from last week. Needless to say the Chiefs defense was surprisingly good. Really the game already looked over in the second quarter.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 10:59

movingtarget wrote:
The Hitch wrote:

I think the window is closing for the Panthers and Falcons. Neither team has looked good since their respective Super Bowl losses and I think the Falcons miss Shanahan's scheming. Plenty of teams have been decimated by injuries but of course without the depth on squads, it's worse for some teams.

Falcons looked very good last year. They went into La and beat the rams, - what the cowboys never looked close to doing yesterday. And then they were 1 drop away from beating the Eagles in phily. They were the closest to stop the Eagles actually, and this as a 6th seed.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 13:00

The Hitch wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
The Hitch wrote:

Falcons looked very good last year. They went into La and beat the rams, - what the cowboys never looked close to doing yesterday. And then they were 1 drop away from beating the Eagles in phily. They were the closest to stop the Eagles actually, and this as a 6th seed.

Yes they looked good but not 2016 good. I just think that like most sports unless the team has a winning team over a long period like the Patriots the window of opportunity for winning the trophy is fairly narrow. That's why some people are saying that the Rams are in that period of opportunity now. Seattle seemed to have passed it even though they made the playoffs but soon they will need a rebuild, not a full one like the 49ers or the Cardinals maybe but they still need some changes. I was never convinced this year that the Cowboys or Seattle were going to make the Super Bowl even though there form has been good. Same with the Bears who still have room for improvement. The next season or two will probably see the emergence of a few new playoff teams. Possibly the Browns, and the 49ers who now find themselves in a very competitive NFC West. Remains to be seen whether the Patriots start to drop off but the signs are there and soon they will at least need a new QB. The Steelers are another team that look like trending down. They will need a new QB soon and look like losing Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell. Their coach will probably be gone soon as well especially if they fail to make the playoffs again. The Jags were probably the biggest drop off this season after making the playoffs last year. Disastrous season for them.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 16:10

LAR vs DAL- DAL can't expect to win if they don't get EE going (47 yards?! WTH?!) AND don't stop the other team from running free (290 yards?!). If LAR can keep that ground game moving forward and heat up their pass game again, they will be the champs.

KC vs. IND- I picked KC but not because I thought that IND would play the first half like a scabbed together middle school rec league team. I enjoy watching Mahomes, and how about Williams "Kareem who?".
jmdirt

Re:

13 Jan 2019 18:40

jmdirt wrote:LAR vs DAL- DAL can't expect to win if they don't get EE going (47 yards?! WTH?!) AND don't stop the other team from running free (290 yards?!). If LAR can keep that ground game moving forward and heat up their pass game again, they will be the champs.

KC vs. IND- I picked KC but not because I thought that IND would play the first half like a scabbed together middle school rec league team. I enjoy watching Mahomes, and how about Williams "Kareem who?".

The Rams/KC would be a crazy Super Bowl if that happens.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jan 2019 18:52

The Patriots couldn't rush anybody..and now they are getting to Rivers? Come on Chargers!!!!
Unchained

Re: National Football League

13 Jan 2019 19:00

Not shocked to see the Patriots winning, it's the way they are winning that's surprising. Is this the same Chargers offense we saw during the regular season? They seem completely scared.
BullsFan22

13 Jan 2019 19:15

The NFL for some unknown reason wants NE to win even though the vast majority of fans don't and more and more turn off games that involve NE.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jan 2019 19:57

The NFL is working on an emergency rule change that will subtract the Chargers points due to their team shutdown..
Unchained

Re:

13 Jan 2019 20:43

Koronin wrote:The NFL for some unknown reason wants NE to win even though the vast majority of fans don't and more and more turn off games that involve NE.

Goodell has shown the Pateiots zero love. There is always missed calls that can go either way. Chargers never showed up and stayed in LA.
User avatar SHAD0W93

13 Jan 2019 21:16

Thought the Rams had the game won quite a way out even the final margin wasn't big. As others predicted, they had too many offensive options, and their number two RB was the best player on the field. Rams defense also looked very good. Wonder if the Cowboys will be prompted to make a coaching change ? Next year he will have to improve I would say even though Jerry is supposed to be supportive of him.

Patriots currently putting SD to the sword but the real challenge for them was always going to be the final two games............
Last edited by movingtarget on 13 Jan 2019 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: National Football League

13 Jan 2019 21:17

Chargers are a joke. Wouldn't even have won in LA.

This was their chance at a run. They absolutely blew it. Hope they bomb next year so that another team in the AFC can have an easy division for once, and not just every year the Pats getting a free division while every other division has 2-3 contenders.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

14 Jan 2019 02:24

I was 1 for 4 this weekend...good thing I didn't bet any money!

I'll take LA and KC next weekend.

LAC was really bad today. I'm still processing the afternoon game. NOLA O, especially DB to MT was fantastic, but PHI hung around even though there was just something off?
jmdirt

Re:

14 Jan 2019 03:07

jmdirt wrote:I was 1 for 4 this weekend...good thing I didn't bet any money!

I'll take LA and KC next weekend.

LAC was really bad today. I'm still processing the afternoon game. NOLA O, especially DB to MT was fantastic, but PHI hung around even though there was just something off?

Well, I don't bet and I don't do the lottery. But I'm taking the opposites of you next week.

LAR @ NO: Home team. Plus you have a vet head coach (Peyton), vet QB (Brees) hosting a less experienced head coach (McVey, tho they do have DC Phillips) and less experienced QB (Goff - yep, got the name correct this time). Also, I think the Saints defense is playing better than the Rams.

NE @ KC: A tough call and KC at home will be tough especially having lost the week 6 matchup between these two in a close shootout that could have KC wanting revenge, but I'm betting the KC defense will not be able to stop the Pats offense. Next week's game could again be a shootout though. These two met head to head in week 6, with the NE winning at home 43-40, but none of that matters now. I do think NE is going to have to change up a few things from their first meeting in October to beat KC this time, which Belichick is a master of. In week 6 when they met, Mahomes threw for 352 yards and 4 TDs, but also threw 2 INTs. Brady on the other hand, threw for nearly as many yards (340), but only one TD and no INTs. Based on that, I think Belichick has a little more room to tweak things than does KC. Then if the game is a coin toss, I'll take Brady over the less experienced Mahomes.

As for today's games, I'm just glad it is the Pats at KC and NOT the Chargers at KC after the crappy game the Chargers put up today vs the Pats. That, even though the Chargers beat KC 29-28 in week 15. I don't think the Chargers would have stood a chance against KC this time. Hats off to the Eagles and Saints for playing their hearts out today in a close game that nearly came down to the wire, and might have had the Eagles WR caught the ball that the Saints intercepted to basically end the game.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

14 Jan 2019 03:28

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
LAR @ NO
NE @ KC

:arrow: Approved! Brady vs Brees
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

14 Jan 2019 04:44

cineteq wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:
LAR @ NO
NE @ KC

:arrow: Approved! Brady vs Brees

Be careful with your cut and manipulate because I did not type that. :eek:

Edited by King Boonen: Fixed the quotes.
jmdirt

14 Jan 2019 13:47

A mod should be able to fix that.

Historically when you get deep into the playoffs, veteran coaches, and veteran QBs are more likely to win. Granted, the Eagles bucked that last season, but look back at history and you'll find it's true. I'm also, at least right now, going with both the Saints and Patriots next weekend. I will give the Chiefs a chance, Reid is one of the top coaches, and Mahomes and their offense have real firepower, but in the NFC I'll be really surprised if the Rams beat the Saints, I just don't see it. Once the Saints got that little bit of rust off yesterday, they look for real. Big props to the Eagles though, they were the one losing team yesterday that truly came to fight. Champions to the end.

I too couldn't believe how little effort the Chargers seemed to have, right from the first play. Especially on defense. They never seemed to try to get after the ball, didn't really pressure Brady, didn't blitz well, didn't run any kind of press M2M coverage that can give Brady trouble (granted, you need the personnel to do it, and Tom has beaten that too), but they were amazingly flat. They also didn't seem in any sense of hurry or urgency on offense, even when way behind. Rivers seemed to be up for the game, but he was about it.

I couldn't believe how flat the Colts played either. Granted, they really were outmatched, but on offense they seemed lackadaisical, like it was a practice day, even Luck. And on defense, how many times can a team really jump offside? It was as if once they beat Houston, they knew their season was over, and they were set up to be good next year, which may be true in a sense.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2019 17:26

Alpe d'Huez wrote:A mod should be able to fix that.

Historically when you get deep into the playoffs, veteran coaches, and veteran QBs are more likely to win. Granted, the Eagles bucked that last season, but look back at history and you'll find it's true. I'm also, at least right now, going with both the Saints and Patriots next weekend. I will give the Chiefs a chance, Reid is one of the top coaches, and Mahomes and their offense have real firepower, but in the NFC I'll be really surprised if the Rams beat the Saints, I just don't see it. Once the Saints got that little bit of rust off yesterday, they look for real. Big props to the Eagles though, they were the one losing team yesterday that truly came to fight. Champions to the end.

I too couldn't believe how little effort the Chargers seemed to have, right from the first play. Especially on defense. They never seemed to try to get after the ball, didn't really pressure Brady, didn't blitz well, didn't run any kind of press M2M coverage that can give Brady trouble (granted, you need the personnel to do it, and Tom has beaten that too), but they were amazingly flat. They also didn't seem in any sense of hurry or urgency on offense, even when way behind. Rivers seemed to be up for the game, but he was about it.

I couldn't believe how flat the Colts played either. Granted, they really were outmatched, but on offense they seemed lackadaisical, like it was a practice day, even Luck. And on defense, how many times can a team really jump offside? It was as if once they beat Houston, they knew their season was over, and they were set up to be good next year, which may be true in a sense.

I was disappointed to see Bosa joking with TB early in the 3rd. Even TB had a surprised look on his face.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General