Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

29 Aug 2011 02:58

Moose McKnuckles wrote:We will miss your acumen. Really.

exactly the sort of comment that makes it not worthwhile coming here.

congratulations i am sure you feel very proud of yourself
User avatar daveinzambia

29 Aug 2011 03:01

Wiggins goes ok, I may even start supporting him if he ever wins a road stage (the Nats only half counts).
Ferminal

29 Aug 2011 03:19

Moose McKnuckles wrote:Image

what the friggin h3ll does this mean? :)
Cricket = Paolo Bettini
Grasshoppa = some guy named David Carradine on 'Kung Fu'?
Just curious.

But while at it, I'll throw a litte love Wiggins way. Crap, I was disappointed he had to bail the Tour. Would have been nice to see what he would have done there. And as some others said already, he rode with balls today. Gotta love that.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

29 Aug 2011 03:44

I think that some of the Wiggins dislike comes from his apparent luck at finishing so high at a 'weak' Tour. The thing is though, is that Wiggins didn't really get his 4th place because of time trialling. Rather, he climbed very well on Verbier (which is not exactly Zoncolan, but tough enough to sort the GC out) and wasn't turn far behind on the Queen stage 17. If Bradley makes it onto the podium this Vuelta then he has proven his pedigree as a decent GT climber.
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack :)

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1 :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

29 Aug 2011 03:54

He's actually surprising me so far. I would have expected him to be over 10 minutes down. I was one of those that thought his 4th place at the Tour was a fluke, but I'm beginning to doubt that. The Vuelta's still far from over, so I'll be 50/50 on that. With the TT tomorrow, he has a good chance to move further up on GC.
User avatar Eric8-A

29 Aug 2011 04:14

gregrowlerson wrote:I think that some of the Wiggins dislike comes from his apparent luck at finishing so high at a 'weak' Tour. The thing is though, is that Wiggins didn't really get his 4th place because of time trialling. Rather, he climbed very well on Verbier (which is not exactly Zoncolan, but tough enough to sort the GC out) and wasn't turn far behind on the Queen stage 17. If Bradley makes it onto the podium this Vuelta then he has proven his pedigree as a decent GT climber.

Just do not get it.

I am a Wiggins fan. yes that may blinker my view slightly but do not understand why that should upset other people. I do not feel the need to hate Nibali because he may win.

The only reason for people to post negative comments on this thread is because they either cannot stand to watch people enjoy, what I consider, a great moment by a rider I like or they post comments to wind people up. Either way a very strange outlook on life.

seems to be how this forum works though. guess I am just not compatible
User avatar daveinzambia

29 Aug 2011 04:28

This forum would be so much better if people only posted positive thoughts and everyone stood around backslapping each other for the performances of their favorite riders. We could rename the forum to the Cycling News Glee Club. Periodically we could hold video conferences where we could all sing inspirational songs. That would be swell, Beav.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
User avatar Damiano Machiavelli

29 Aug 2011 04:36

daveinzambia wrote:Just do not get it.

I am a Wiggins fan. yes that may blinker my view slightly but do not understand why that should upset other people. I do not feel the need to hate Nibali because he may win.

The only reason for people to post negative comments on this thread is because they either cannot stand to watch people enjoy, what I consider, a great moment by a rider I like or they post comments to wind people up. Either way a very strange outlook on life.

seems to be how this forum works though. guess I am just not compatible

You can like Wiggins all you want. Not everyone shares your opinion.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles

29 Aug 2011 05:10

Moose McKnuckles wrote:I'm with Damiano on this one.

Wiggins "morphed" from a track rider to a GC contender?

Yeah. He morphed all right. The British Bottle is the best and most apt moniker I have heard for Wiggins.

there is also the one that was in my sig....

Wiggins - The shit British version of Christophe Moreau
The computer is smarter than me Bjarne, I no need to understand computer it need understand me - Carlos Sastre in Overcoming
RIP - Swordsman
RIP - Craig1985

Wallace wrote:In Lance's prime, you could take all the drugs you wanted, whenever you wanted. Ah, those were the days... If you put Contador on the program Lance was on in his prime, it would be like watching a bicycle duct-taped to the space shuttle go up the alps. You have to factor all that in when figuring out which one is the most talented
User avatar El Imbatido

29 Aug 2011 05:14

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:This forum would be so much better if people only posted positive thoughts and everyone stood around backslapping each other for the performances of their favorite riders. We could rename the forum to the Cycling News Glee Club. Periodically we could hold video conferences where we could all sing inspirational songs. That would be swell, Beav.

very big gap between that and where this forum is at. but hey dis me as much as you like that is what this place does best.
User avatar daveinzambia

29 Aug 2011 05:28

Moose McKnuckles wrote:You can like Wiggins all you want. Not everyone shares your opinion.

not saying you have to like him just do not understand why you feel the need to come on this particular thread and slag him off
User avatar daveinzambia

29 Aug 2011 06:47

I was one of those downplaying Wiggins chances before this Vuelta but I'll have to eat these words now.

Respect to Wiggins. He did really well yesterday and has been looking great. I actually think he has a very good chance of winning this now.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

29 Aug 2011 06:55

Let it go Dave... the haterz are gunna hate. People like the Machiavellian one and the Moose hate everyone equally!

I like Wiggins and despair that every time a rider achieves anything notable, the clinic explodes with allegations from interweb cowboys.

If you have a modicum of faith in the system, then Wiggins is someone who has harnessed their natural ability to succeed at a different discipline (track to road), until I'm convinced otherwise, I will view his results as obtained by maximising his natural abilities.
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

29 Aug 2011 07:15

Wiggins rode well yesterday and is now legitimately a contender for the Vuelta.

A few of the comments here are going a little over the top though: His ride still essentially consisted of following a wheel, at a pace set specifically for his benefit, until things started to flatten out. Froome deserves at least as much of the credit. However, it is impressive to be able to follow a wheel at that pace while all around you are cracking and it is even more impressive to be able to take over at the front and keep pouring the pressure on at the end. So chapeau to Wiggins.

He's still not the favourite, but he has shown better climbing chops than anyone expected (including Wiggins himself if you read his comments about yesterday). He should get himself a bit of a cushion today, but it will be very impressive if he manages to hold on to that cushion over all the mountains to come.
Zinoviev Letter

29 Aug 2011 07:20

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:Nobody cares about track but a few brits and aussies. You might as well bring up his record playing croquet. As it is Wiggins has one stage race win, and that race had a crappy route.

The route must have been crappy because Wiggo won:rolleyes: Everyone was moaning about the surfeit of flat finishes.

Yes, I prefer watching Contador attacking in the mountains, but Wiggo was aggressive (in his own way) and showed that 4th in the tour was not a fluke.
User avatar Tank Engine

29 Aug 2011 07:29

I'm Italian, but I like Wiggins! If Nibali will lose because of him I will be happy anyway.

He's a serious guy that works a lot and doesn't speak too much!

On the climbs he's really consistent, seldom goes in the red....

on the TT he's top3 worldwide.
User avatar TeoSheva

29 Aug 2011 07:44

Ferminal wrote:Wiggins goes ok, I may even start supporting him if he ever wins a road stage (the Nats only half counts).

Let me guess, you support Man Utd but used to support Chelsea for a few years?
King Of The Wolds

29 Aug 2011 07:45

daveinzambia wrote:not saying you have to like him just do not understand why you feel the need to come on this particular thread and slag him off

I've only just started posting and I already have to ignore alot of the posters. I agree with you Dave, I can't understand how some people on here manage to watch cycling, they must be foaming at the mouth with every stage as it seems that anyone who rides reasonably well is full of dope.

The clinic is ridiculous, I came looking for intelligent discussion on a subject that I find very interesting and have a fair bit of knowledge about. Instead it's baseless accusations and random insults.

Got to say I'm a big Wiggins fan, I like riders who can get on the front and put the hurt on like that, mainly because I think that's the kind of rider I would have been if I'd ever taken up cycling.

Brad gets a lot of stick, even for things that are nothing to do with cycling on here, and I'd love to see him do well, I just hope he's measured his effort well enough to have something in the tank for the TT.

Remember people thought Evans would struggle in the TT at the Tour, I wonder if we are going to see a similar ride from Wiggins today?
patterson_hood

29 Aug 2011 07:46

Tank Engine wrote:The route must have been crappy because Wiggo won:rolleyes:

The route wasn't crappy. The Dauphine was the biggest thing Wiggins has ever won by some distance and he deserves credit for doing so.

However, while the route wasn't crappy it also also wasn't enormously challenging to a power climbing TTer and, perhaps more importantly, an ability to win one of the Tour warm up races is a very different thing to being able to be competitive on GC at a GT. Wiggins showed more yesterday in terms of proving that his Tour 4th wasn't a fluke than he did over the whole Dauphine.

And he's right that nobody cares about track. It's a backwater of the sport, ranking somewhere below cyclocross as a regionally popular hobby.
Zinoviev Letter

29 Aug 2011 07:49

Siriuscat wrote:Does anyone outside the US like Bottle or Pharmstrong???

Brad surprised the hell out of me today, I really didn't think he'd have the ability to tackle the top of Covatilla like that but all credit too him, he has established himself as a very very good stage racer over the last two years, learnt from his mistakes and gotten better. Tomorrow is key for him, if he can take sufficient time out of Nibs he becomes a strong strong contender. I think J Rod is out of it, he'll lose three minutes plus tomorrow to the good TT riders, Chapeau wiggo!!

A lot of people do.

Can't say I really like brad though he's doing well. Farrapona, Angliru and Pena Carbarga will sort him out. Wiggins will need to take some big time out of Nibali though. What is a disadvantage for Nibali is that there are no down hill finishes that e can go craz and take some big time out of his rivals in the Vuelta edition.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing