Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

21 Jun 2013 18:06

Afrank wrote:There are a lot of guys I can think of that could put Sky on the map in the classics. Wiggins doesn't make the top 100 of those guys.

yes, a hundred is a good round number.

Let him go to the gym, develop some more upper body mass and then send him to Arenberg. Could be another 4-6 tries left in the guy.
Dazed and Confused

21 Jun 2013 19:41

He did finish 25th at Robuaix. He could do similar, although never much better. However could be useful for Sky for sure.

Would be quite funny :D From Tour winner to cobbled classic mere domestique xd
Gloin22

21 Jun 2013 20:07

Let me be upfront here Wiggins is not my favourite but what the hell is wrong with all you haters out there? He has had a phenomenal record as a track rider and achieved brilliant results on the road last year. If he retired tomorrow he would still have his place in history.
User avatar mariposa

21 Jun 2013 20:14

Gloin22 wrote:He did finish 25th at Robuaix. He could do similar, although never much better. However could be useful for Sky for sure.

Would be quite funny :D From Tour winner to cobbled classic mere domestique xd

Just look at this picture:

Surely Wiggo wants to have another couple of tries.
Dazed and Confused

21 Jun 2013 20:22

Weak.
I would have understood if he retired after last season, but he certainly acted as if he was motivated this season. He delivered constant smack talking about his form, how he was climbing better than ever and then how he planned to win the GT double. But he can't even finish a race.

Wiggins pretends that he doesn't like the fame and such but all I see is a guy who is incredibly egotistical and can't handle if things don't go exactly his way. It seems to me that he loves his fame more than anything and now will only ride on his terms because he is so special. If I was Sky I would be ****ed. They have a reigning champ who draws huge attention to their team yet he won't even ride a race.

If he retires, I will remember him as a rider who won wholly on the backs of his teammates and then turned into a primadonna who refused to be a teammate to them.
offbyone

21 Jun 2013 20:39

I think Wiggins has done an awful lot for (British) cycling. He was a natural choice to be the first Brit to wear the maillot jaune. You cannot take away his achievements.

But he does appear to be going around trophy (or rather jersey) bagging. The Tour, the Giro, the Tour of Britain (I suspect the Vuelta a couple of years ago when Froome got in his way).

It makes his digs at Lance Armstrong seem rather cheap, Plus I feel slightly bitter when there are guys like J.Rodriguez going around winning classics, working hard(er) for the team and coming close in the GTs.

Froome will look to go back to the Tour again and again, Contador has done so also and I can't help but have a bit more respect for them for doing it.
MellowJohnny

21 Jun 2013 21:00

I, for one, loved the "I want to spend more time with my family" speech.

Who knows? Perhaps a career in politics beckons? As I recall, he was a big, big fan of New Labour and Gordon Brown. I'm sure that Sir Brad could fill the massive void their demise left......:rolleyes:
User avatar cycladianpirate

21 Jun 2013 21:12

mariposa wrote:what the hell is wrong with all you haters out there?
He's an arrogant pr1ck and a horrible ambassador for the sport. For starters...

MellowJohnny wrote:You cannot take away his achievements.

Why not? He should've been riding last years TdF in support of Froome, who should've been coming off a victory of his own at the previous Vuelta were it not for the pompous "Sir" Bradley.

But it wasn't enough for Wiggo to actually win the Tour. No, he still had to whine about the fact that Froome made him look bad in the process.

Not to mention, he has shown zero class by reversing his previously stated intent to help Froome this time around.

Bye bye Bradley!

You won't be missed. :rolleyes:
Banned by Berzin
User avatar Granville57

21 Jun 2013 21:32

Does anybody think Wiggins can actually win WC ITT?
User avatar b.broadhurst

21 Jun 2013 22:16

I don't know the course for the World ITT but I would back Tony Martin.

As for Wiggins's achievements, I think so. He has broken down a lot of barriers for the sport in Britain and has made cycling more accessible (whether that was just a by product maybe) - He did act well when in yellow also (the Evans puncture incident etc) and he was dedicated in 2012.

But I wonder of his motivation, I can't see him ever winning a classic. I'm not sure if its best for him to go for smaller stage tour wins.

I'm quite sure Sky will be ruthless with him though, they won't allow for passengers.
MellowJohnny

21 Jun 2013 22:26

Granville57 wrote:He's an arrogant pr1ck and a horrible ambassador for the sport. For starters...

Why not? He should've been riding last years TdF in support of Froome, who should've been coming off a victory of his own at the previous Vuelta were it not for the pompous "Sir" Bradley.

But it wasn't enough for Wiggo to actually win the Tour. No, he still had to whine about the fact that Froome made him look bad in the process.

Not to mention, he has shown zero class by reversing his previously stated intent to help Froome this time around.

Bye bye Bradley!

You won't be missed. :rolleyes:

The Vuelta decision was Sky's fault to be fair. And you can't be serious in saying that Froome should have led Sky at the Tour last year. Wiggins had ticked every box as Brailsford is fond of saying whilst Froome was hanging around in the grupetto at Romandie for instance.

And I'm not surprised that he's not helping Froome after his antics last year.
JRanton

21 Jun 2013 22:32

b.broadhurst wrote:Does anybody think Wiggins can actually win WC ITT?

Not if Tony turns up in good shape, no.

I'm sure I read that Froome wanted to ride the world TT this year so how do Wiggins, Froome and Dowsett fit into two places for GB?
JRanton

21 Jun 2013 22:36

JRanton wrote:Not if Tony turns up in good shape, no.

I'm sure I read that Froome wanted to ride the world TT this year so how do Wiggins, Froome and Dowsett fit into two places for GB?

If Froome gets beaten by some margin in the flat Tour TT (against Martin), I think the decision will be easier.
Dazed and Confused

21 Jun 2013 22:41

I suspect Dowsett could miss out, which would be a real shame considering how well he has done this year and how he managed a top 10 last year in his first attempt at the worlds TT.

I would much rather see no Wiggins there, and Froome and Dowsett get the spots. As he won't be going to the Vuelta for preparation and there is still the question of if he will even have the motivation to get in decent shape for worlds. I highly doubt he will have the motivation to do that.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

21 Jun 2013 22:45

Obviously what shape Wiggins will be in is key but Froome will have to put in a pretty stellar TT in the Tour to justify going over Wiggins if Brad is looking good, given there is a 35k TT in the Tour of Poland and a couple of short TT's in USA Pro Challenge and Tour of Britain I guess he needs a good showing in those, assuming that is his schedule.

I hope Dowsett doesn't miss out.
Cyivel

21 Jun 2013 22:52

I may be wrong here, but I thought he had an automatic place in the worlds as reigning Olympic champ until after Rio. That was the reason he gave for not refocussing for it last year anyway.
[Quote=Originally Tweeted by]

Michael Hutchinson ‏@Doctor_Hutch 10 Mar

Team Sky. A gang of time triallists taking over the world.[/Quote]
Wiggo Warrior

21 Jun 2013 22:54

Wiggo Warrior wrote:I may be wrong here, but I thought he had an automatic place in the worlds as reigning Olympic champ until after Rio. That was the reason he gave for not refocussing for it last year anyway.

I thought that rule only applied for 2012. Does anyone know for sure?
JRanton

21 Jun 2013 22:59

JRanton wrote:I thought that rule only applied for 2012. Does anyone know for sure?

This http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34598&LangId=1

Says

Cyivel

21 Jun 2013 23:03

Fair enough, so I guess he has to work for it.
[Quote=Originally Tweeted by]

Michael Hutchinson ‏@Doctor_Hutch 10 Mar

Team Sky. A gang of time triallists taking over the world.[/Quote]
Wiggo Warrior

21 Jun 2013 23:31

If Wiggo gets himself in to form (big if) then there is no way he misses out. It's like choosing who you would rather have on a MTF between Froome and Wiggo. Froome would win everytime. Brad would outperform Froome on the TT every time.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing