Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Jun 2013 11:23

yeah he was waving his hands round for wiggins tho. pinot chased them down by the end also on that stage
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 11:27

Its quite incredible the epic and far-reaching conclusions that forum keyboard warriors draw from the evidence of a few seconds of cycling! Apparently Froome is a devious machivellean back-stabbing piece of **** for trying to grab a few seconds on the field near the end of a mountain stage to secure his high position on GC. And Wiggins is a mentally weak arrogant loser because his DS erred on the side of extreme caution in ordering Froome to stop the attack. Truly remarkable
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 11:32

willbick wrote:Its quite incredible the epic and far-reaching conclusions that forum keyboard warriors draw from the evidence of a few seconds of cycling! Apparently Froome is a devious machivellean back-stabbing piece of **** for trying to grab a few seconds on the field near the end of a mountain stage to secure his high position on GC. And Wiggins is a mentally weak arrogant loser because his DS erred on the side of extreme caution in ordering Froome to stop the attack. Truly remarkable


would've been a bit more than a few seconds mate. wiggins would've lost over a minute if froome had continued his attack
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 11:37

willbick wrote:Its quite incredible the epic and far-reaching conclusions that forum keyboard warriors draw from the evidence of a few seconds of cycling! Apparently Froome is a devious machivellean back-stabbing piece of **** for trying to grab a few seconds on the field near the end of a mountain stage to secure his high position on GC. And Wiggins is a mentally weak arrogant loser because his DS erred on the side of extreme caution in ordering Froome to stop the attack. Truly remarkable


Good post! Yes it makes for frustrating reading some times. Especially when these wild speculations take on a life of their own and become "facts".
User avatar ToreBear
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,343
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

22 Jun 2013 11:38

Fear not Wiggins will be given his swansong by Team Sky, the Tour of Britain where he will beat everyone in the TT in Liverpool by light years. Then to be babysat by his buddy Christian Knees.

Sorry I woke up a cynic today.

As for people attacking other people in the same team, its been going on for donkeys years. I noticed how TVG didn't get the same coverage and stigma for riding away from Evans last year.
MellowJohnny
Junior Member
 
Posts: 339
Joined: 24 Jul 2012 18:44
Location: Under the Moonlight

22 Jun 2013 11:52

nick101 wrote:cobo was just too good. he reeled in froomes best ever attack and then counter attacked. froome would've over reached and blown up trying to stay with cobo when he was riding away on previous stages. he had team mates up the road when he was doing so and they just would've worked against him and taken turns attacking him along with Taaramae. he couldn't hold his wheel on the angliru and nothing else suggests he would've done any better. if he had been trying to hold cobo's wheel, he would've blown up on the angliru and lost even more time. cobo was unlucky not to win by more

and about froome working for wiggins. he only worked on several stages for him. I only once saw him doing more than a few kms on the front on stage 11 of the vuelta


Froome only worked on two stages: Manzaneda and Farrapona (I'll ignore la Covatilla because it was before the ITT). It was enough to lose 27 seconds in the first one. He lost the Vuelta by 13 seconds. Now, there are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't. Which kind are you?
icefire
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 19:24

22 Jun 2013 11:54

nick101 wrote:would've been a bit more than a few seconds mate. wiggins would've lost over a minute if froome had continued his attack


Yr crystal ball is has a crack in it i think
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 12:06

icefire wrote:Froome only worked on two stages: Manzaneda and Farrapona (I'll ignore la Covatilla because it was before the ITT). It was enough to lose 27 seconds in the first one. He lost the Vuelta by 13 seconds. Now, there are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't. Which kind are you?


to me that indicates he would've lost even more time trying to stay with cobo. if he can't sit on the front for a few simple kms setting tempo (which should be easy for a climber of his pedigree right??) then clearly a bigger effort required to hold onto cobo's wheel on farrapona or angliru would've seen him blow up even more spectacularly. cobo didn't even look to be trying on either of those stages. the only time I really saw him put in an effort was on pena cabarga.

as for the tour wiggins was dropped as soon as the pace increased by a few km/h and lost 10 seconds in the first 100m of froomes acceleration. not very hopeful for losing only a few seconds. it was 4kms out or 12minutes from the finish of that stage btw
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 12:15

He lost 10 seconds in 100m!! Surely not
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 12:21

watch the stage. as I said in another thread more research needs to be done as your wild claims have no basis. froome accelerated to nearly double the speed, which created a sizeable time gap within 100m
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 12:30

nick101 wrote:cobo was just too good. he reeled in froomes best ever attack and then counter attacked. froome would've over reached and blown up trying to stay with cobo when he was riding away on previous stages. he had team mates up the road when he was doing so and they just would've worked against him and taken turns attacking him along with Taaramae. he couldn't hold his wheel on the angliru and nothing else suggests he would've done any better. if he had been trying to hold cobo's wheel, he would've blown up on the angliru and lost even more time. cobo was unlucky not to win by more

and about froome working for wiggins. he only worked on several stages for him. I only once saw him doing more than a few kms on the front on stage 11 of the vuelta


He didn't need to follow Cobo on Angliru to win the Vuelta. You're telling me he wouldn't have limited his losses to Cobo better if he hadn't had to ride looking over his shoulder trying not to drop Bradley? OK.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

22 Jun 2013 12:40

I never mentioned wiggins once. on the angliru, froome was given free reign as soon as brad dropped. froome never waited for wiggins on the angliru so I don't know what you're talking about. and if he'd chased cobo down on farrapona :o like you say he would've been out numbered 3:1 and gotten worked over by cobo and his team mate and taaremae who desperately wanted that stage
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 12:55

nick101 wrote:watch the stage. as I said in another thread more research needs to be done as your wild claims have no basis. froome accelerated to nearly double the speed, which created a sizeable time gap within 100m


How many times have you seen a rider attack off the front of the lead group going uphill? How many times have you seen them go what looks like a long way clear after just a few seconds? How many times have you seen the same rider get slowly reeled back by the group as the effort of his attack causes him to fatigue and slow? 500 times?! Maybe you have to see something happen 501 times before you understand...
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 13:01

Cyivel
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,888
Joined: 05 Aug 2012 22:46

22 Jun 2013 13:02

a serious attack like froome was about to make? usually only once a tour.... wiggins was flailing like a salmon after froome attacked. I said he made that gap only on wiggins and not pinot or the others. wiggins was immediately dropped



he was one of the key team sky staff that removed their support from wiggins and placed it on froome, which caused all the controversy. He's talking rubbish as he already knew that wiggins wasn't going to race another tdf, in fact he was part of the group that caused it to happen.
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 13:10

Wiggins was immediately dropped because, unlike Pinot, etc he made no effort to respond to the attack of his team mate. Any rider would've been dropped in the same position as wiggins at that moment.
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 13:13

I was at a cycling event in July 2012 when wiggins was leading the tour and shane sutton said that he thought wiggins probably wouldn't race the 2013 tour because he didnt think wiggins would be prepared to make the same sacrifices to train as hard again. So this has been on the cards for a long time actually
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

22 Jun 2013 13:14

willbick wrote:Wiggins was immediately dropped because, unlike Pinot, etc he made no effort to respond to the attack of his team mate. Any rider would've been dropped in the same position as wiggins at that moment.


Why didn't he respond? because he couldn't keep up as I already said :rolleyes:. he didn't know what on earth was going on when froome attacked and couldn't keep up. Guys in his exact position like pinot immediately responded and started trying to chase him down

willbick wrote:I was at a cycling event in July 2012 when wiggins was leading the tour and shane sutton said that he thought wiggins probably wouldn't race the 2013 tour because he didnt think wiggins would be prepared to make the same sacrifices to train as hard again. So this has been on the cards for a long time actually


yes the 2013 tour was always uncertain, especially given his participation at such a tough giro. But until froome wrestled the leadership from wiggins, it was a forgone conclusion that he was going to do at least one more tdf.
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 13:16

willbick wrote:I was at a cycling event in July 2012 when wiggins was leading the tour and shane sutton said that he thought wiggins probably wouldn't race the 2013 tour because he didnt think wiggins would be prepared to make the same sacrifices to train as hard again. So this has been on the cards for a long time actually


yes the 2013 tour was always uncertain, especially given the tough giro. But until froome wrestled the leadership from wiggins, he was always going to do at least one more tdf.
nick101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Jun 2013 01:28

22 Jun 2013 13:21

I dont think froome wrestled the leadership from wiggins. It was a team sky decision from last year that froome would be the main GC leader for le tour. Obviously you cant set plans in stone because anything can happen, froome cudda got injured or ill or whatever, but this was clearly the long term plan. You are just trying to make it sound more interesting and 'personal' by saying froome 'wrestled' the leadership.
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,367
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arredondo, BigMac, Billie, Bing [Bot], Boleyn, burning, Dadc1994, Escarabajo, Geraint Too Fast, Google Adsense [Bot], gunara, Hakkapelit, ice&fire, irondan, Jakob747, MatParker117, MrTea1976, therhodeo, veji11 and 72 guests

Back to top