Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Jun 2013 13:24

Oh man u talk a lotta rubbish. Wiggins didnt respond because he didnt have to. He was the team leader, in yellow. It was up to guys from other teamsmto respond to the attack, not him. Im not saying he wudda definitely kept up with froome exactly but to say he wudda lost chunks of time at the finish is just ludicrous speculation.
willbick

22 Jun 2013 13:26

When i said 'guys in his exact position' i meant in yellow jersey, team leader, team mate of froome. Not 'exact position on the road'
willbick

22 Jun 2013 13:40

yes I agree about the tour leadership always being froomes, but brad's grand ambitions backfired on him and chris froome put a stop to them. he's essentially been demoted to 3rd at sky and if uran podiums in the vuelta, it'll likely be fourth. As for wiggins not having to chase him down - froome was under two minutes down. He could have taken a large chunk of that out of brad if his attack was allowed so brad would've had to have followed or otherwise endangered his position in yellow. he had the most to lose if froome attacked. The others had a lot to gain as they could have risen up the gc if they followed a (potential) move like froome's.
nick101

22 Jun 2013 14:15

cineteq wrote:The end of the one-trick pony.

Three podiums in Grand Tours; numerous one week tour wins;
pursuit and team pursuit world championships, Olympic
Gold Medals and Olympic and world records; madison
world championship, Olympic medal, and six-day win
and podium; seven Olympic medals in four different
events on road and track.
User avatar oldcrank

22 Jun 2013 17:20

willbick wrote:I dont think froome wrestled the leadership from wiggins. It was a team sky decision from last year that froome would be the main GC leader for le tour. Obviously you cant set plans in stone because anything can happen, froome cudda got injured or ill or whatever, but this was clearly the long term plan. You are just trying to make it sound more interesting and 'personal' by saying froome 'wrestled' the leadership.

Agreed. Wiggins was targeting the Giro and Froome the Tour which made good sense based on the routes. The problem came up when Wiggins decided he wanted to double at the Tour too this year.

Clearly though the road decided the outcome because Froome has been consistently lighting it up this year and wiggins has been floundering.
offbyone

23 Jun 2013 17:43

cineteq wrote:The end of the one-trick pony.

Are you serious?

Madisons, Pursuits, Team Pursuits, Prolouges, TT's, team TTs, National Road Race champs, the most prestigious of week long stage races and finally three GT podiums culminating in a Tour where he was frankly in the top 4 or 5 climbers.

He's not by any stretch of the imagination among the very greatest cyclists who ever lived...no sane person would suggest otherwise. But what he most surely was, was the least one-trick, one trick pony imaginable.

Sweet lord, dislike the man all you like, god knows he's dislikable - but let's not just make out fantasies to please ourselves.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

23 Jun 2013 17:44

offbyone wrote:Agreed. Wiggins was targeting the Giro and Froome the Tour which made good sense based on the routes. The problem came up when Wiggins decided he wanted to double at the Tour too this year.

Clearly though the road decided the outcome because Froome has been consistently lighting it up this year and wiggins has been floundering.

In retrospect, knowing what we now know. do you think he really saw himself doing the double? Or was it just bullsh*t for the media to amuse himself?
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

23 Jun 2013 18:08

martinvickers wrote:Are you serious?

Madisons, Pursuits, Team Pursuits, Prolouges, TT's, team TTs, National Road Race champs, the most prestigious of week long stage races and finally three GT podiums culminating in a Tour where he was frankly in the top 4 or 5 climbers.

He's not by any stretch of the imagination among the very greatest cyclists who ever lived...no sane person would suggest otherwise. But what he most surely was, was the least one-trick, one trick pony imaginable.

Sweet lord, dislike the man all you like, god knows he's dislikable - but let's not just make out fantasies to please ourselves.

Ditto! Only two GT podiums though, Vuelta 2011 and TDF 2012? Ah youre counting the 2009 TDF maybe? Don't think they changed the rankings officially though.
webvan

23 Jun 2013 18:09

webvan wrote:Ditto! Only two GT podiums though, Vuelta 2011 and TDF 2012? Ah youre counting the 2009 TDF maybe? Don't think they changed the rankings officially though.

They did

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/29/bradley-wiggins-tour-de-france-2009
Cyivel

23 Jun 2013 18:20

Oh good, wonder if that's also shown on the TDF website...well the history page is offline now, so that will have to wait!
webvan

24 Jun 2013 03:14

martinvickers wrote:In retrospect, knowing what we now know. do you think he really saw himself doing the double? Or was it just bullsh*t for the media to amuse himself?

Well supposedly wiggins hates media attention so with that in mind, I can't imagine why would he stir up this mess unless he meant it. Also, it wasn't like it was a single comment, he made the point multiple times.
offbyone

24 Jun 2013 03:29

martinvickers wrote:In retrospect, knowing what we now know. do you think he really saw himself doing the double? Or was it just bullsh*t for the media to amuse himself?

I think he thought that he, on ego overload, would skate through the Giro, recover and then use his first-British-Tour-winner-on-British-team leverage to handcuff Froome at the Tour by getting in yellow early. The weather in Italy had other ideas as did his willingness to sacrifice as needed to meet his lofty ambitions. His lack of 2013 results and lack of the necessary intestinal fortitude to overcome adversity when things didn't follow the script is a further example, along with his admission that he considered pulling out of the Tour when, once again the script wasn't being followed (Froome's "attack). For a "musician" he has a real problem with improvisation.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

24 Jun 2013 03:54

oldcrank wrote:pursuit and team pursuit world championships, Olympic
Gold Medals and Olympic and world records; madison
world championship, Olympic medal, and six-day win
and podium; seven Olympic medals in four different
events on road and track.

LOL. I'm sorry to break this to you, but no one but Brits and a few Aussies give a damn about track. Does anyone really think that if Cancellara was not making big bucks on the road and chose to ride track instead that Wiggums would not be crying in his beer at the local pub with zero medals?
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

24 Jun 2013 04:39

BroDeal wrote:LOL. I'm sorry to break this to you, but no one but Brits and a few Aussies give a damn about track. Does anyone really think that if Cancellara was not making big bucks on the road and chose to ride track instead that Wiggums would not be crying in his beer at the local pub with zero medals?

Yes because Cancellara would have made a huge difference considering some of Wiggins medals were from team pursuit, where GB have had a super strong team for years. Plus even if Cancellara hadn't crashed in the RR a few days before the olympic TT there is no way he would have beaten Wiggins in the form he was in.

Im not a massive Wiggo fan but to say he was lucky that Fabian wasn't on the track is one of the most laughable post's I have read on here in months.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

25 Jun 2013 00:15

Pricey_sky wrote:Im not a massive Wiggo fan but to say he was lucky that Fabian wasn't on the track is one of the most laughable post's I have read on here in months.

Exactly, FabCan is in fact one of several road riders
that are known to have run tests before either the
2000, 2004 or 2008 Olympics with an eye to get an "easy
medal" in the pursuit...as we also know, none of them
followed through with an actual Olympic appearance.
On the other hand Ekimov and Wiggins, both former
pursuit champs, did win Olympic Gold time-trial medals.
User avatar oldcrank

25 Jun 2013 00:31

Pricey_sky wrote:Im not a massive Wiggo fan but to say he was lucky that Fabian wasn't on the track is one of the most laughable post's I have read on here in months.

Not just Cancellara. Dozens of road riders. They all went to where the money, where they could compete against the best in the world. Being a big fish in a very small pond is just not worth much acclaim. It is worth so little that the best in the world did not even think it was worth their time to temporarily switch disciplines.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

25 Jun 2013 00:54

will10 wrote:Froome lost the Vuelta on Manzeneda when he was told to work, whilst in the leader's jersey, when it simply wasn't necessary - there was no-one dangerous up the road and there were never going to be big gaps that day. 27s thrown away.

To say Froome couldn't have won a Vuelta that he finished in 2nd on GC @ 13", having spent the first two weeks hamstrung riding for a weaker teammate, is laughable.

You could point to several points had SKy not ridden such a horrendous TTT at the start Froome would of won.
MatParker117

25 Jun 2013 08:41

BroDeal wrote:LOL. I'm sorry to break this to you, but no one but Brits and a few Aussies give a damn about track. Does anyone really think that if Cancellara was not making big bucks on the road and chose to ride track instead that Wiggums would not be crying in his beer at the local pub with zero medals?

just because Wiggins is scum as a human being, who like lance gets kicks out of making other people feel small, does not mean he is a failure in every aspect of life. To mock his accomplishments is ridiculous if not pathetic. Competition on the track is not as weak as you make it out to be, and small as the pool may be he was still by far the best. That cancellara would have beaten Wiggins is at his event is far from certain considering recently it's Wiggins who is destroying cancellara at his. You'll never be able to take away wiggos accomplishments, which he won far more impressively than you give him credit for. He won golds in 3 different Olympics at different events + a tour in one of the most convincing fashions in recent tdf history. I know it's easier to believe it was all a fluke, but when someone wins that much chances are it isn't.

When someone has as many faults as Wiggins it probably isn't wise to constantly attack them over their biggest strenght. If your attacks on wggins continue to take the form of challenging his ability as a rider, then his fans will always be able to wind you up by pointing to his accomplishments.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

25 Jun 2013 09:15

BroDeal wrote:Not just Cancellara. Dozens of road riders. They all went to where the money, where they could compete against the best in the world. Being a big fish in a very small pond is just not worth much acclaim. It is worth so little that the best in the world did not even think it was worth their time to temporarily switch disciplines.

Did you even read the post above yours? I don't know if it's true but reading it first and then yours just makes you look silly.
User avatar King Boonen

25 Jun 2013 09:46

The Hitch wrote:just because Wiggins is scum as a human being, who like lance gets kicks out of making other people feel small, does not mean he is a failure in every aspect of life. To mock his accomplishments is ridiculous if not pathetic. Competition on the track is not as weak as you make it out to be, and small as the pool may be he was still by far the best. That cancellara would have beaten Wiggins is at his event is far from certain considering recently it's Wiggins who is destroying cancellara at his. You'll never be able to take away wiggos accomplishments, which he won far more impressively than you give him credit for. He won golds in 3 different Olympics at different events + a tour in one of the most convincing fashions in recent tdf history. I know it's easier to believe it was all a fluke, but when someone wins that much chances are it isn't.

When someone has as many faults as Wiggins it probably isn't wise to constantly attack them over their biggest strenght. If your attacks on wggins continue to take the form of challenging his ability as a rider, then his fans will always be able to wind you up by pointing to his accomplishments.

Your going to have to explain how you come to the conclusion he gets a kick out of making ppl small
del1962

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing