Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

27 Jun 2013 15:26

The Hitch wrote:You'll never be able to take away wiggos accomplishments, which he won far more impressively than you give him credit for. He won golds in 3 different Olympics at different events + a tour in one of the most convincing fashions in recent tdf history. I know it's easier to believe it was all a fluke, but when someone wins that much chances are it isn't.

Mr. Wiggins record of seven Olympic medals in four disciplines
at four different Games shows his amazing versatility as well
as astonishing longevity on the biggest, most competitive
and pressure-packed sporting stage there is, the Olympic
Games. If he were to continue and qualify for the 2016 Rio
Olympics and once there, win another medal of any colour,
Mr. Wiggins would achieve undisputed sporting legend status.
Of course, qualifying for the Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Olympic cycling team is extremely difficult and I have no idea
if he has the desire to subject himself and his family to that
arduous process one more time. Best of luck to him whatever
path he chooses for the rest of his career.
User avatar oldcrank

27 Jun 2013 15:50

BroDeal wrote:Not just Cancellara. Dozens of road riders. They all went to where the money, where they could compete against the best in the world. Being a big fish in a very small pond is just not worth much acclaim. It is worth so little that the best in the world did not even think it was worth their time to temporarily switch disciplines.

Not sure if you noticed or not, but Mr. Wiggins went to where
the big money was and beat all the big fish in the big pond
and did so very consistently and convincingly for a whole
season. Too bad the injuries he suffered when being knocked
off his bike by a reckless driver turned out to be more serious
than originally thought/reported or he may have dominated the
big pond in a fashion never seen before for another year.
User avatar oldcrank

27 Jun 2013 15:57

oldcrank wrote:Not sure if you noticed or not, but Mr. Wiggins went to where
the big money was and beat all the big fish in the big pond
and did so very consistently and convincingly for a whole
season. Too bad the injuries he suffered when being knocked
off his bike by a reckless driver turned out to be more serious
than originally thought/reported or he may have dominated the
big pond in a fashion never seen before for another year.

It's my understanding that the reason for Wiggins' inability to recreate the success of 2012 was him not being willing to make the sacrifices in his life that he made in 2012 that allowed him to dedicate the necessary time and effort to his training. He's admitted that it's not likely that he will ever be able to reach that level again because he's not willing to make those types of sacrifices again.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

27 Jun 2013 16:16

Angliru wrote:It's my understanding that the reason for Wiggins' inability to recreate the success of 2012 was him not being willing to make the sacrifices in his life that he made in 2012 that allowed him to dedicate the necessary time and effort to his training. He's admitted that it's not likely that he will ever be able to reach that level again because he's not willing to make those types of sacrifices again.

Yes I believe this is the main reason. It took a huge effort not just last season but also the season before when he was unfortunate to crash and break his collar bone. He just didn't have the motivation to do all that again this season especially as he needed to start earlier and harder due to the Giro.

As hitch pointed out in his very reasoned post above you cannot slate Wiggins' strengths. Especially when most things he has achieved in cycling he has done so with a great deal of class, certainly on the bike anyway if not so much off it.

I believe others had tried to turn to the track in Olympic years to win what they presumed would be an 'easy' medal. They quickly found out how far riders like Wiggins were ahead of them and chose to keep focus on the road.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Jul 2013 12:22

Yates said on eurosport that if froome had been allowed to ride against Wiggins last year he thinks froome would have won.

Also says that the deal was Wiggins would win last year and froome would get this year. If true it puts Wiggins comments on wanting to win the tour this year in a different context
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

06 Jul 2013 12:57

I've done the maths, and even taking into account the mechanical Froome had in Stage 1 and if he had dropped Wiggins on Stage 11 and 17, Froome would still have lost the GC to Wiggins....

...unless he had remembered to remove the cotton buds from his nose for the prologue.
User avatar wwabbit

06 Jul 2013 13:02

have you also accounted for the fact that froomey riding for himself would've meant froomey not allowing bradley to sit in his wheels 24/7?
User avatar SeriousSam

06 Jul 2013 13:13

2012 Wiggins probably wouldn't have won anything prior to the Giro with the set of TTless races he was given by Sky. Certainly not if he got the same mechanical that Wiggins got at Trentino.
William H

06 Jul 2013 13:31

SeriousSam wrote:have you also accounted for the fact that froomey riding for himself would've meant froomey not allowing bradley to sit in his wheels 24/7?

Yes, I've accounted for everything except for those cotton buds.

(You know I was joking, right?)
User avatar wwabbit

06 Jul 2013 22:58

As soon as a rider mentiones something about not wanting to make the sacrifices necessary to perform at a top level and talks about wanting to spend more time with his family and play with his kids, it's close to a retirement announcement.

If he retires, I wish him the best. What an incredible career he's had complete with Olympic medals on the road and the track, world championships, and a TdF victory. AND, he was knighted, which is pretty cool even though the concept of it is confusing to me as an American.

I'll miss him calling his detractors "****ing ****ers" and his other less-than-printable but brutally honest remarks to the media.

I hope he's kicking back with his family and enjoying himself while watching his protege this July.
TheBean

06 Jul 2013 23:02

Any more on his schedule for the rest of the season?
Cyivel

06 Jul 2013 23:05

Cyivel wrote:Any more on his schedule for the rest of the season?

Poland, Colorado, Britain, Worlds TT.
JRanton

06 Jul 2013 23:07

Thanks [color="White"][SIZE="1"]...[/SIZE][/color]
Cyivel

07 Jul 2013 01:10

If Wiggins was in the race and had the same race fitness and health as this time last year, he would have finished with Contador IMO.
User avatar darwin553

07 Jul 2013 03:02

Wiggins made a good move in not coming to the Tour. Had Froome dropped him he would have been quite embarrassed and may have thrown a hissy fit. Wiggins owed Froome a tour though. Froome was way too nice to him by helping him out twice.
rzombie1988

08 Jul 2013 04:05

Froome paid his dues and is now reaping the rewards.

Other than those who suspect he is juiced, has anyone heard a negative word spoken about him?
TheBean

08 Jul 2013 04:48

TheBean wrote:Froome paid his dues and is now reaping the rewards.

Other than those who suspect he is juiced, has anyone heard a negative word spoken about him?

Plenty of negative words have been spoken about him. Just read through the Froome thread or any thread that was discussing him and you'll find plenty that dislike him for more then just clinic reasons.
User avatar Afrank

10 Jul 2013 23:31

According to kimmage a couple years ago Wiggins promised a photographer that he could get a photo of Wiggins. The photographer stayed for 3 days waiting. But Wiggins then refused.

gooner wrote:Kimmage again expresses his suspicions about Froome.

Starts 27 mins 25 secs in.

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/2493/10th_July_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_1
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

07 Aug 2013 14:48

Great to see Wiggo's ITT ride in Poland. Hopefully the
concussion or 'concussion-like' symptoms he has been
suffering from since being knocked off his bike by that
woman driver last year will no longer bother him as
he prepares for the World Championships.
User avatar oldcrank

07 Aug 2013 21:40

Yep, a smashing performance in Poland, looks like he's going to be hard to beat at the World's !
webvan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing