Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Aug 2013 09:08

darwin553 wrote:Bit harsh by Wiggins to bring in the kids angle to explain why Sky are favouring Froome. Also, it may be seen to be an excuse as to why Wiggins doesn't want to put in the hard yards anymore for the grand tours.

Surely it's not an excuse, but a reason he's accepting he's not going to ride for GC anymore? I don't think he's bringing his kids in to portray himself as a victim - he's saying Sky are rightly going to favour Froome because Froome is more willing than Wiggins is to hole himself up on a volcano for months on end and do the hard yards in training. Seems a fair enough decision whichever way you look at it from.
RownhamHill

20 Aug 2013 09:23

I think Wiggins is a true champion, he rose to the top and another competitior is challenging him and like all true champions he is admitting he can't beat him and is backing down, chapeau.
karlboss

20 Aug 2013 14:16

darwin553 wrote:Bit harsh by Wiggins to bring in the kids angle to explain why Sky are favouring Froome. Also, it may be seen to be an excuse as to why Wiggins doesn't want to put in the hard yards anymore for the grand tours.

The kids angle is a reason, in his opinion, that Froome will be able to train to maintain the levels that they both exhibited, Wiggins in 2012 and Froome in 2013. What I don't completely understand is his flip-flopping on wanting to pursue new goals after winning the Tour. He implied last year that the Giro was a goal, that is until it appeared the team was going to give complete support to Froome at the Tour. He then altered his stance to include the Giro/Tour double as his objective. It's rather difficult to figure what he'll say next in terms of his future goals in the sport.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

20 Aug 2013 15:24

Angliru wrote:The kids angle is a reason, in his opinion, that Froome will be able to train to maintain the levels that they both exhibited, Wiggins in 2012 and Froome in 2013. What I don't completely understand is his flip-flopping on wanting to pursue new goals after winning the Tour. He implied last year that the Giro was a goal, that is until it appeared the team was going to give complete support to Froome at the Tour. He then altered his stance to include the Giro/Tour double as his objective. It's rather difficult to figure what he'll say next in terms of his future goals in the sport.

I suspect that the Giro was indeed a goal, but that having adopted it as such, he wasn't able to find the necessary motivation and knows now that he won't be able to do so again. It's probably been a bit of a learning process, finding out what he is and isn't able to voluntarily put himself through now that the biggest win is behind him and isn't going to be repeated.
Zinoviev Letter

30 Aug 2013 17:18

[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

30 Aug 2013 18:13

Pricey_sky wrote:Wiggins may attempt the world hour record at some point next year:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15355/Wiggins-says-he-may-aim-for-world-hour-record.aspx#post-comments

He should. I don't see why he can't devote his entire year preparing for it
User avatar Dedelou

30 Aug 2013 22:56

Pricey_sky wrote:Wiggins may attempt the world hour record at some point next year:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15355/Wiggins-says-he-may-aim-for-world-hour-record.aspx#post-comments

It was about time some big name started to think about it seriously.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

31 Aug 2013 06:00

Well, Wiggo is not the only having stated that recently. Cancellara has stated wanting to do that either this winter or after Paris - Roubaix next year.
For both of them to give it a go would be very interesting.
User avatar The Blues

31 Aug 2013 06:24

The Blues wrote:Well, Wiggo is not the only having stated that recently. Cancellara has stated wanting to do that either this winter or after Paris - Roubaix next year.
For both of them to give it a go would be very interesting.

There would be one missing, but Tony must be going for the four hour record. :D
phanatic

31 Aug 2013 07:29

anyone who attempts the hour record has my infinite respect
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

31 Aug 2013 15:46

good for him. At least he doesn't have to worry about leadership, or being super domestique to froome or worry about better climber opponents on in another word .. "less pressure", since he just need to conquer himself :D
User avatar Jelantik

01 Sep 2013 02:02

Does not seem to be the big deal it used to be but he could probably do it successfully.
movingtarget

01 Sep 2013 12:01

Jelantik wrote:good for him. At least he doesn't have to worry about leadership, or being super domestique to froome or worry about better climber opponents on in another word .. "less pressure", since he just need to conquer himself :D

I still think he will want to do the Tour next year as it starts over here. He won't have many targets next year so he can easily fit in both. A possible classics campaign as well perhaps?

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

01 Sep 2013 18:31

Pricey_sky wrote:I still think he will want to do the Tour next year as it starts over here. He won't have many targets next year so he can easily fit in both. A possible classics campaign as well perhaps?

if he is doing classic, isn't he at least have to beef up his himself? then he'll have to ride as a domestique then if he wants to ride the tour. I'm assuming it will be really hard to drop down his weight back to the anorexic weight that he got at TDF 2012.
User avatar Jelantik

02 Sep 2013 08:27

Jelantik wrote:if he is doing classic, isn't he at least have to beef up his himself? then he'll have to ride as a domestique then if he wants to ride the tour. I'm assuming it will be really hard to drop down his weight back to the anorexic weight that he got at TDF 2012.

I thiink when he talks about the tour he means as a domestique.
del1962

03 Sep 2013 01:44

del1962 wrote:I thiink when he talks about the tour he means as a domestique.

Exactly, Wiggins had admitted he wont be winning the Tour with Froome in such form but he said he would like to ride it 1 more time before switching back to the track. He will never put the kind of work in to prepare for a Tour like 2012 but he can be a very useful domestique. Sky could have done with him this year.

User avatar Pricey_sky

20 Sep 2013 23:30

Interesting interview with Wiggins:

It is also possible to still sense more than a hint of Wiggins’s indignation that he perhaps did not get the backing to defend his Tour title that he felt he deserved, as Team Sky plumped for Froome.

“I always felt from the minute that I won the Tour it was 'thanks for coming’, that I was never going to get a chance. The minute I stated I’d love to try and win another, I got crunched down.”

As for the future, who knows? Even Wiggins himself would admit to being a changeable soul. He had said he would not do another grand tour but now does not rule out one more shot at the Tour, perhaps acting as a super-domestique for Froome.

“I’ll have a holiday after this and really reassess what I want to do next year,” he says.

Why has his career been so topsy-turvy of late? “I like to think it’s because I’m only human,” he shrugs. “I have off days like everybody. But my bad days at work are all in public, I can’t have a bad day in private.” True, but his good days on a bike are all made public too and Wiggo has been reminded this week that they can still make Britain fall for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10324056/Tour-of-Britain-2013-Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-is-back-with-a-smile-on-his-face.html
JRanton

21 Sep 2013 05:23

Wiggins to win both the ITT and RR crown at the Worlds. You heard it here first.

:cool: :D
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

21 Sep 2013 08:01

We (Brits) love Wiggo in a way we will never love Froome

I'm taking my 9 yr old daughter to Barhatch Lane to see Sir Wiggo today - she would never do that for any other cyclist

Wiggo is cool, fragile, infuriating - a human being you can relate to...

If he can pull off Worlds TT that would be an amazing final achievement
Winterfold

21 Sep 2013 08:10

Wiggins needs to get over himself. The only way he was going to win the 2013 Tour with Froome on the team was through yet more team orders.
User avatar roundabout

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing