Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Feb 2014 15:12

Afrank wrote:For me personally, it would bring endless amounts of enjoyment and amusement to get to see Froome and Wiggins fighting it out for leadership of Sky all across France. And while they are consumed with fighting it out with each other, see Nibali take advantage of that and ride away and into yellow. That would be just perfect! :D

In that case I'd enjoy seeing Horner kick Nibali's *** AGAIN. :D
Vino love the rain. Vino love the cold. Vino love the hot. Vino not feel the difference.
User avatar happychappy

07 Feb 2014 10:49

Afrank wrote:For me personally, it would bring endless amounts of enjoyment and amusement to get to see Froome and Wiggins fighting it out for leadership of Sky all across France. And while they are consumed with fighting it out with each other, see Nibali take advantage of that and ride away and into yellow. That would be just perfect! :D

Unfortunately even Froome bickering with Wiggins would still have enough to hold off Nibali on this years route. He only has to follow Nibali up the mountains knowing he has that long, flat TT at the end where he will blow all his GC rivals away. If Contador returns to his previous form then we would have a great race, its a big if at the moment though.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

07 Feb 2014 11:02

theyoungest wrote:There's a stage finish at 7000 feet in the Tour of Cali... I don't know much about the actual climb, but a few kilos extra are probably gonna hurt.

Yeah but its Wiggins, his extremely light weight is probably 15kg or so off his old track weight, so I'm sure he'll be fine, little ring grovelling up it.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

07 Feb 2014 17:36

Pricey_sky wrote:Unfortunately even Froome bickering with Wiggins would still have enough to hold off Nibali on this years route. He only has to follow Nibali up the mountains knowing he has that long, flat TT at the end where he will blow all his GC rivals away. If Contador returns to his previous form then we would have a great race, its a big if at the moment though.

Nibali excels in a bit of chaos, he can create that chaos just as easily as take advantage of it. Give him a hilly stage, cobbles, and the usual mountains as opportunities to create a little chaos with an angry Froome and Wiggins trying to assert their own leadership rights over the other, and after a while Nibali's built up enough of a lead to hold yellow through the time trial and into Paris.

Of course, I'm probably being a bit of an irrational Nibali fanboy with this. ;) But creating some chaos and taking advantage of it could definitely be Nibali's best chance of taking yellow. And a 2012 Wiggins vs. Froome could only add to the possibility of chaos. Realistically I don't really expect to see a 2012 Wiggins though.
User avatar Afrank

07 Feb 2014 20:55

Grupetto1 wrote:I really hope so. The dream is Froome has a minor crash or mechanical and wiggins finds himself in the front group but doesn't know to wait as his "earpiece wasn't working"

So you mean the hierarchy for the Tour would be

Froome
Porte
Wiggo
?

Porte is already going for the Giro, so I'd put Wiggo behind Froome for the Tour.
if Wiggo is in the front group, Knees, EBH, Sivtsov, Kiry, Kennaugh will WAIT for Froome if he crashes or has a flat, not Wiggins
pastronef

09 Feb 2014 15:51

User avatar gooner

09 Feb 2014 16:06

It would be lovely if BMW were to win the World ITT this year,
but even if he doesn't, the wonderfully diverse lists of World
Championships, Olympic medals, time-trial wins, stage-race
wins, and Grand Tour results that make up his palmares have
already assured him of legendary status in the sport of cycling.
User avatar oldcrank

09 Feb 2014 16:25

I thought Wiggins wouldn't go for GC anymore?
User avatar Bavarianrider

09 Feb 2014 16:29

Typical British press report making it sound as though having to give up the chance to defend his TOB title is important! Doh which would you like on your palmares TOB or La Vuelta? Anyway I really don't think that Bradley has a hope of winning La Vuelta.
User avatar mariposa

09 Feb 2014 16:46

mariposa wrote:Typical British press report making it sound as though having to give up the chance to defend his TOB title is important! Doh which would you like on your palmares TOB or La Vuelta? Anyway I really don't think that Bradley has a hope of winning La Vuelta.

Won't be long until the ToB will be a WT race. Cookson's already increased it's ranking.
"If you're a cheat, you're a cheat, you're not half a cheat. You wouldn't say, 'I'll cheat here but I'm not going to cheat over there; I'll cheat on a Monday but not on a Tuesday." Dave Brailsford

Doping in cycling didn't start with Armstrong and end when he got busted.
User avatar BYOP88

09 Feb 2014 16:50

Bavarianrider wrote:I thought Wiggins wouldn't go for GC anymore?

It will be more a issue of whether he can go for GC IMO. I'm not convinced Wiggins will get back to his 2012 levels, or even his levels before that.
User avatar Afrank

09 Feb 2014 17:16

BYOP88 wrote:Won't be long until the ToB will be a WT race. Cookson's already increased it's ranking.

World Tour or not the TOB has a long way to go to be on par with La Vuelta.
User avatar mariposa

09 Feb 2014 18:19

Where does it say that in the article? If anything he says he won't be riding for GC as he'll be looking to emulate Tony's Tour/Vuelta prep for the Worlds, which as you know better than anyone means finishing well down on GC ;)
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

09 Feb 2014 19:02

Afrank wrote:It will be more a issue of whether he can go for GC IMO. I'm not convinced Wiggins will get back to his 2012 levels, or even his levels before that.

+1. I always thought that he got all the stars line up for him on 2012. Repeating the same performance, I see as quite a big challenge for him. However, with purito, evan, richie, quintana, horner goes for giro, TDF podium seems to open up. Besides nibali, contador, valverde who it think got a great chance, the rest of the TDF cast he might be able to hang with them (molema, VDB, hesjedal, tejay, Costa). Especially at the end, there is a long ITT. If he can hang in the mountain, he could possibly smooke everyone in the ITT.

He out smarted nibali with constant hard riding in 2012 (even though it doesn't mean he can achieve the same effect this year). Valverde seems to be a tad below nibali or the same. And Contador this year is still a question mark. If he shows up like last year, wiggins can be 'Porte' like last year. But that's a big "IF".
User avatar Jelantik

09 Feb 2014 21:00

https://twitter.com/bigbodge9/status/432247942205153280/photo/1
I do hope all SKY fans will join Sir Bradley Marc Wiggins CBE
and support Cpl. Josh Boggi and other disabled veterans by
making a donation at http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk or to similar
organisations in your country such as http://www.soldieron.org.au
User avatar oldcrank

09 Feb 2014 23:23

guys there is no way Wiggo will go to le tour 2014 as a GC contender - he simply wont be in the same super skinny climbing shape he was in 2012. He is keen to be on the SKy team for le tour because he knows it'll probably be his last chance to ride a TdF and there is the added attraction of it starting in england, but he will go as a rouleur domestique and obviously try to win the ITT.

For what its worth I would guess that Kennaugh will be playing the Porte role this year in the TdF.
willbick

10 Feb 2014 09:09

willbick wrote:guys there is no way Wiggo will go to le tour 2014 as a GC contender - he simply wont be in the same super skinny climbing shape he was in 2012. He is keen to be on the SKy team for le tour because he knows it'll probably be his last chance to ride a TdF and there is the added attraction of it starting in england, but he will go as a rouleur domestique and obviously try to win the ITT.

For what its worth I would guess that Kennaugh will be playing the Porte role this year in the TdF.

so the mountain train will be

Froome
Kennaugh
Porte
Nieve
pastronef

10 Feb 2014 09:14

Isn't Henao going to the tour?
Grupetto1

10 Feb 2014 09:27

Grupetto1 wrote:Isn't Henao going to the tour?

I think so. I was looking for a link for the pre-selection of the Tour team, but I don't remember where I read it
pastronef

10 Feb 2014 10:02

even if he still was in that anorexic body he'd have no chance. the tour 2012 win was a laughable result on a horrible course against horrible competition and he wasn't even the best then
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing