Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

17 Feb 2014 04:10

Jancouver wrote:Bingo! Plus he was 25lb heavier back then and his body was more of track rider than skinny GC time trial specialist.

Cancellara is already laughing at him now ... http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/from-pave-to-paris-gc-riders-will-be-rocking-roubaix_317266



Hang on a second, Wiggins lost 25 pounds in 2 and half months. Impressive.
So when choosing what is more likely Wiggins was preparing as a GC rider/all around domestique and claiming he was only looking for a good prologue or preparing as a prologue rider and came 4th on GC you guys are thinking it's the 2nd option that is more likely. Weird.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

17 Feb 2014 04:21

karlboss wrote:Hang on a second, Wiggins lost 25 pounds in 2 and half months. Impressive.
So when choosing what is more likely Wiggins was preparing as a GC rider/all around domestique and claiming he was only looking for a good prologue or preparing as a prologue rider and came 4th on GC you guys are thinking it's the 2nd option that is more likely. Weird.


"Wiggins finished Paris Roubaix 25th in 2009" ... you got to read the whole thread, not just the last post :D
User avatar Jancouver
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,557
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

17 Feb 2014 04:32

Jancouver wrote:"Wiggins finished Paris Roubaix 25th in 2009" ... you got to read the whole thread, not just the last post :D


Wiggins 25th roubaix, 2009 4th tour de france 2009. So either he was GC weight for roubaix as the first poster pointed out, or he came 4th in the tour at 25 lbs heavier?
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

17 Feb 2014 04:52

Jon Vaughters weighed in on Wiggo's chances at Paris-Roubaix in Cycle Sport. Not a slam-dunk, but by no means a stretch. And when Wiggins has a goal, he prepares for it. Jon Vaughters is a perspicacious guy.

And Sky needs a classics leader.
User avatar ustabe
Junior Member
 
Posts: 465
Joined: 13 Jan 2010 15:24

17 Feb 2014 05:14

karlboss wrote:Wiggins 25th roubaix, 2009 4th tour de france 2009. So either he was GC weight for roubaix as the first poster pointed out, or he came 4th in the tour at 25 lbs heavier?

Wigans was already rail thin by '09 Roubaix to be fair. There was a picture of him after finishing where he looks as skeletal as ever:


Image
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,647
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

17 Feb 2014 05:15

I have no doubt that Wiggins can put on the weight necessary and have sustainable power good enough to win Roubaix. I have serious doubts about his general one day riding skills especially when cobbles are thrown in. Have a quick flick through his record and you'll not he's not had one significant result in any one day race ever, in fact that 25th in 2009 may be his best ever. It's the same concern I'd have if Froome states he's going to target Liege, or the worlds and even to a lesser extent if Contador was to have a go. One day racing requires more experience and skill than does stage racing and Wiggins doesn't have it. If he rode a full cobbled program this year then maybe next year he may be in the mix, but this year will be a tall order indeed.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

17 Feb 2014 05:25

Agreed, Sky's chances of ever winning a monument went out the door along with DS's like Yates, Julich and Sunderland. The way they race will only win difficult stage races unless someone throws away their radio and races off instinct for once.

Contador is 1000x more likely to win a big classic than Froome and Wigans combined for this reason.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,647
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

17 Feb 2014 05:26

42x16ss wrote:Wigans was already rail thin by '09 Roubaix to be fair. There was a picture of him after finishing where he looks as skeletal as ever:




It's awesome to some folk he is still "Wigans".

I didn't claim he was heavy in 2009. I was just saying you can't claim he was heavy in 2009 roubaix and not 2009 tour. He was heavy in both, or light in both.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

17 Feb 2014 05:30

Jancouver wrote:Bingo! Plus he was 25lb heavier back then and his body was more of track rider than skinny GC time trial specialist.


Uh-oh. The picture tells no lies!
nepetalactone
Junior Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 11 Apr 2010 03:03
Location: West Coast, USA

17 Feb 2014 06:01

karlboss wrote:It's awesome to some folk he is still "Wigans".

I didn't claim he was heavy in 2009. I was just saying you can't claim he was heavy in 2009 roubaix and not 2009 tour. He was heavy in both, or light in both.

I didn't think so :)

Wigans was definitely light in both. I also remember everyone's reaction when that Roubaix photo first came out and it certainly wasn't "Wow, Wiggins has made a great choice! He's going to smash the TdF this year."

As soon as the 08 Worlds were over Wigans started slimming down so that he'd be fresher for GT ITT's and hopefully win one. GC wasn't even in the picture.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,647
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

17 Feb 2014 08:56

Wiggins' was primarily just a domestique TT results getter up until 2009 like Boardman was. Then a drop in weight and a change of training focus suggested by Vaughters changed things for Wiggins. To suggest the lack of past one day results means he is not a good one day racer is like saying he never had any GC results as a TT rider.

No doubt it would be very impressive for a rider to go from Track to GC to Classics and win at all three. He has his eyes on the Worlds too I believe.
samhocking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

17 Feb 2014 09:05

Wiggins would be very lucky to top 20 in Paris - Roubaix. He has never showed an aptitude and has little experience in the cobbled classics.

He was just making positive noises in response to an interviewer's question which was almost a prompt. His reply has been completely misconstrued.

Paris-Roubaix? Forget the Wigmeister.
User avatar wirral
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,040
Joined: 28 Mar 2011 06:05

17 Feb 2014 09:27

No domestique ever shows aptitude for the classics or one days. If they do, they screwed up as clearly didn't work for the leader. I doubt very much Wiggins was even chosen as a plan B option for Classics either!
samhocking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

17 Feb 2014 09:33

trevim wrote:Paris Roubaix is always a bit of a gamble. Realistically we could make a case for every guy who has finished in the top30 in the past years. I hope he doesn't constest it because I'm always afraid of what Sky might achieve. It's bad enough for me to see them bossing GT's around, I wouldn't like to see them winning classics, specially not Roubaix.
About Wiggins, he has the engine, he has some experience, I doubt his technical skills a bit (Giro was shocking although that wasn't his level clearly), let's see what happens anyway. I just hope they don't use Stannard as a dom. I don't like him either but he deserves at least a free role there.


I disagree. Rarely do we see complete outsiders winning P-R, unless there is a tactical play involved.

Its almost always one of the strongest guys who wins.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,345
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

17 Feb 2014 09:36

samhocking wrote:No domestique ever shows aptitude for the classics or one days. If they do, they screwed up as clearly didn't work for the leader. I doubt very much Wiggins was even chosen as a plan B option for Classics either!

Do you think Terpstra 'screwed up' as a domestique in 2012?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

17 Feb 2014 09:43

Dazed and Confused wrote:I disagree. Rarely do we see complete outsiders winning P-R, unless there is a tactical play involved.

Its almost always one of the strongest guys who wins.


Frederic Guesdon says hello
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,517
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

17 Feb 2014 09:44

pastronef wrote:Frederic Guesdon says hello

Note the first word you bolded ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

17 Feb 2014 09:56

Netserk wrote:Note the first word you bolded ;)


did not know where, but I knew I did something wrong. It always happens, here, when I'm trying to defend Wiggo :p
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,517
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

17 Feb 2014 09:56

pastronef wrote:Frederic Guesdon says hello


Like I said, its rare.
And note Guesdon was very focused on PR. His track record in the monument:

1995 : 86e
1996 : 14e
1997 : vainqueur (meilleur français)
1998 : abandon
2000 : 17e (meilleur français)
2001 : 26e
2002 : abandon
2003 : 12e (meilleur français)
2004 : 18e (meilleur français)
2005 : 11e
2006 : 7e (meilleur français)
2007 : 25e
2008 : 11e (meilleur français)
2009 : 13e
2010 : 19e
2011 : 11e (meilleur français)
2012 : 88e (hors des délais)
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,345
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

17 Feb 2014 11:58

You can forget Paris - Roubaix and Wiggins. This will all be forgotten by the next Wiggins interview. Just meaningless niceties.
User avatar wirral
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,040
Joined: 28 Mar 2011 06:05

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexNYC, Asero831, Bing [Bot], BrentonOfTheNorth, Google [Bot], Squirbos_19, togo95 and 24 guests

Back to top
cron