Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 Feb 2014 22:30

Wiggins isn't going anywhere, he is happy at Sky and has a contract with Sky...it meant alot last time didn't it.
karlboss

19 Feb 2014 04:38

karlboss wrote:Wiggins isn't going anywhere, he is happy at Sky and has a contract with Sky...it meant alot last time didn't it.

I think wiggins is trying to find his new niches now. He knows Froome is sky's GC guy and Richie is on the rise to be the second GT leader. Since Giro or Vuelta is too difficult to win/control, why not targets the classics? especially when sky classics hasn't been as successful as their GT team. He was the first GC leader when sky was trying to put the first Briton TDF winner. The classics team is still in working progress. Everyone said he got a big engine. So, if he succeeds with classic team, he could be the sole leader on that team. Away from Froome or Porte, Henao. Everyone's happy.... except Thomas, Stannard, Eddy :D

I don't think he wants to be just a wing man. He was the man in the team when he won TDF. (even though Froome was stronger). But this year he has been toning down his tune since last year, and taking an approach just do wait and see kinda approach. Very different than last year. On side note: I was wondering what the rest of the classic team thinks about him and Roubaix? *another babysit scenario de javu?*
User avatar Jelantik

19 Feb 2014 19:29

trevim wrote: I just hope they don't use Stannard as a dom. I don't like him either but he deserves at least a free role there.

Diesels in general, or Stannard in particular? Can't see what Stannard's ever done for someone to 'dislike' him :confused:
postmanhat

19 Feb 2014 19:36

postmanhat wrote:Diesels in general, or Stannard in particular? Can't see what Stannard's ever done for someone to 'dislike' him :confused:

anti sky tunnel vision, a pretty common disease around here.
EnacheV

19 Feb 2014 19:48

Jelantik wrote:I think wiggins is trying to find his new niches now.

Aye. Even his detractors might admit that he had incredible focus, which of course, is tens times easier on the way up. It also gives you something to fight against, which I think was part of Wiggo's make-up on his way to success. A bit like Cavendish perhaps?

I hope he's goes back to the track for 2016. Any further success on the road would be a bonus. But I can't see it being anything other than few TT podiums
postmanhat

19 Feb 2014 22:12

EnacheV wrote:anti sky tunnel vision, a pretty common disease around here.

I have to admit that's half the truth; but I do like several Sky riders: EBH, Henao, Nieve, Kyri, Dombrowski, Kennaugh (potential rockstar this one :) ), Knees, Lopez, Sivtsov... and I think that's it :p

postmanhat wrote:Diesels in general, or Stannard in particular? Can't see what Stannard's ever done for someone to 'dislike' him :confused:

Stannard in particular. I don't like the way he's overhyped as a classics rider. He's good but there are some other lesser hyped riders that do a very good job too and deserve more credit. But yeah riding for Sky doesn't help either :p
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim

19 Feb 2014 22:40

trevim wrote:I have to admit that's half the truth; but I do like several Sky riders: EBH, Henao, Nieve, Kyri, Dombrowski, Kennaugh (potential rockstar this one :) ), Knees, Lopez, Sivtsov... and I think that's it :p

Stannard in particular. I don't like the way he's overhyped as a classics rider. He's good but there are some other lesser hyped riders that do a very good job too and deserve more credit. But yeah riding for Sky doesn't help either :p

agree with both. Kennaugh, if he keeps improving on the road as he is now, has a very good few years in front of him.
pastronef

19 Feb 2014 23:28

trevim wrote:I have to admit that's half the truth; but I do like several Sky riders: EBH, Henao, Nieve, Kyri, Dombrowski, Kennaugh (potential rockstar this one :) ), Knees, Lopez, Sivtsov... and I think that's it :p

Agree that riding for Sky hasn't helped Stannard:) Supporting Thomas and EBH last year can't have been much fun. Is he really over-hyped, by who? I'm a massive fan, but would be thrilled if he got a podium, even in a small classic this year.

Should be a good year for Kennaugh. But most looking forward to seeing what Josh Edmonson can do, as he should have a freer role
postmanhat

19 Feb 2014 23:30

pastronef wrote:agree with both. Kennaugh, if he keeps improving on the road as he is now, has a very good few years in front of him.

Agree too, Kennaugh had a great first TDF last year when Sky were under a lot of pressure going down to 7 riders early on. He put in a great turn on the Ax-3 stage to help Froome. He perhaps wasn't quite as useful after this having being pushed off the mountain the next day by Hesjedal but still did the job he was asked to do.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

20 Feb 2014 01:39

The issue is actually with 2-3 riders and some of the Directional Staff, not the entire squad. Drop the persecution complex and you'll find that Sky has several riders that are actually quite popular in the forum.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

20 Feb 2014 16:39

Is the plan to lose weight after the classics because if not, on this evidence there's no reason to take him to the Tour.
JRanton

20 Feb 2014 17:39

postmanhat wrote:Agree that riding for Sky hasn't helped Stannard:) Supporting Thomas and EBH last year can't have been much fun. Is he really over-hyped, by who? I'm a massive fan, but would be thrilled if he got a podium, even in a small classic this year.

Should be a good year for Kennaugh. But most looking forward to seeing what Josh Edmonson can do, as he should have a freer role

He already was on the podium in a minor classic back in Kuurne so that wouldn't be news. All he can do is pray for rain, snow and north sea storms. He'll be fine then :D
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim

22 Feb 2014 00:17

Wiggins announces he will do Catalonia (sp.) instead of Gent - Wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen.

Paris - Roubaix, my backside.
User avatar wirral

22 Feb 2014 02:14

wirral wrote:Wiggins announces he will do Catalonia (sp.) instead of Gent - Wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen.

Paris - Roubaix, my backside.

Froome and Porte will both be there in Catalunya too. The knight of the realm had better get used to carrying out servant duties.
JRanton

26 Feb 2014 13:03

Wiggins motivation for the Commonwealth Games time trial in Glasgow revealed.
http://spokeydokeyblog.com/2014/02/25/wiggo-comes-to-glasgow-again/
Blogging away on Scottish racing matters & some international stuff. http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/
Twittering @spokedoke
https://twitter.com/spokedoke
User avatar SpokeyDokeyBlog

27 Feb 2014 01:22

wirral wrote:Wiggins announces he will do Catalonia (sp.) instead of Gent - Wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen.

Coz he realized during Ruta Del Sol that he is an out of shape fat bassturd (with a beard admittedly) and will get his fess kicked if he don't get more miles quickly. Oh, so hard to stay at the top.
User avatar Kretch

27 Feb 2014 11:19

Kretch wrote:Coz he realized during Ruta Del Sol that he is an out of shape fat bassturd (with a beard admittedly) and will get his fess kicked if he don't get more miles quickly. Oh, so hard to stay at the top.

don't be harsh on him, this guy is a winner and still can kicks some asses
User avatar Guybrush

06 Mar 2014 01:06

User avatar gooner

06 Mar 2014 01:17

Thanks for the link, sounds pretty good, except maybe his comment on Horner? Not sure what he means? Finds it sad that Horner is still busting his a$$ at the ripe old age of 42? Can't be that looks decrepit surely ;-)
webvan

07 Mar 2014 17:59

Wiggins pulled from Strade to...assist Porte in TA, WTF ?!
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30283_9201346,00.html
webvan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing