Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

11 Mar 2014 23:57

Jelantik wrote:this is why TA is fascinating!! A lot of speculation about who's winning it. with no Froome around, and this is italian road. So controlling the pace is a lot more difficult for sky. Especially with a lot of explosive climber like contador, quintana, kwiat, horner. Sky can have wiggins and porte as the last men. But if those explosive climbers start attacking each other, it would be hard for wiggins to follow violently changed of tempo. We all know that wiggins is not a bad climber but he prefers a steady tempo. That's why the suspense now. He know that he can smooke everyone in ITT, (with TTT he will for sure have some cushion already), so if he can hang in the mountain, he can have a chance. I'm sure he is thinking, if he can match richie in the mountain, he might have a chance ..(to be sky leader again..:D)

Wont Nieve be the last man for Porte?
del1962

11 Mar 2014 23:59

Grupetto1 wrote:Yeah Im not saying that they're all gonna be up their at the end of the race. Just that there's been talk particularly in the british media that wiggins might use froomes absence in this race to show that he can still be a force in world tour stage races. But based on his climbing in andalucia he's gonna be well down in the teams hierarchy

there's no doubt of that. This year, He can't say it or did what he did at the start of 2013, where he could just publicly challenged the leadership at sky. Fast forward 2014, he got nothing to back it up. So this kind of opportunity happens to show up and he doesn't need to publicly say anything about his intention.
User avatar Jelantik

13 Mar 2014 08:33

If Froome's injury is more serious than Sky are saying, they could be moving BW back towards being either a GC contender or main domestique for Porte at the Tour. That could explain him dropping Strade Bianchi for TA, even if TA is mainly for training purposes.
Morbius

13 Mar 2014 09:21

Morbius wrote:If Froome's injury is more serious than Sky are saying, they could be moving BW back towards being either a GC contender or main domestique for Porte at the Tour. That could explain him dropping Strade Bianchi for TA, even if TA is mainly for training purposes.

Just wait for the mountains.You'll see that he is not even valuable domestique anymore.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

13 Mar 2014 09:37

I think Wiggins is more finished than Andy Schleck. He simply can't be bothered anymore.

2nd place at WC ITT 2013 is the last good result of his career.
EnacheV

13 Mar 2014 09:43

EnacheV wrote:I think Wiggins is more finished than Andy Schleck. He simply can't be bothered anymore.

2nd place at WC ITT 2013 is the last good result of his career.

You do realise that is only a few months back? And given the break in the cycling season is really not that long ago.
I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

13 Mar 2014 19:32

Just wait for the mountains.You'll see that he is not even valuable domestique anymore.

Right now you are probably right. The point is he may be doing this for training to try to get ready for GCs now that Froome is injured. I can't see any other good reason to drop the Strada Bianchi
Morbius

13 Mar 2014 19:34

How long is his current contract with Sky?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

13 Mar 2014 19:39

Ends this year.
Gloin22

13 Mar 2014 19:40

He had some nice years but the look on his face says a lot to me. He doesn't give a fk. He is forced to ride to get the paycheck.

Imagine how scary Sky will be when they can use 3+mil E per year (Wiggo paycheck) for new riders.
EnacheV

13 Mar 2014 19:42

Gloin22 wrote:Ends this year.

Might win the Vuelta then.

Anyway unless he performs a bit this year, there seems little reason to have him hanging around.
Dazed and Confused

13 Mar 2014 19:43

Dazed and Confused wrote:Might win the Vuelta then.

Anyway unless he performs a bit this year, there seems little reason to have him hanging around.

Wiggo is possibly worth more to Sky just being on the squad than his contract costs them, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension.
User avatar King Boonen

13 Mar 2014 19:49

King Boonen wrote:Wiggo is possibly worth more to Sky just being on the squad than his contract costs them, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension.

Possible, but the team needs to function as well. Its a tricky balance imo.
Dazed and Confused

13 Mar 2014 19:54

Dazed and Confused wrote:Possible, but the team needs to function as well. Its a tricky balance imo.

It is, but he'll always be useful on the flat. We saw what happened last year in the tour when the breaks occurred on a nothing stage, Being able to burn Wiggins in that situation if needed is very useful.

I think they'll keep him on for a year or two then he'll be farmed out to Sky TV Cycling commentary when they buy the rights to the tour...
User avatar King Boonen

13 Mar 2014 19:57

Wiggins is nothing unless he has specific goals that are attainable. He will not and never has raced just for the love of it. He has never been interested in being a roadie that loves to just race his bike. This goes back to when he was 15 not just now. Having competed during those same early years as him, I can tell you that he was never ever a regular on the weekly road scene. I would rather watch riders like Valverde over Wiggins any day of the week. Great Athlete !, ****e at RACING ! a bike though.
arvc40

13 Mar 2014 20:09

King Boonen wrote:It is, but he'll always be useful on the flat. We saw what happened last year in the tour when the breaks occurred on a nothing stage, Being able to burn Wiggins in that situation if needed is very useful.

I think they'll keep him on for a year or two then he'll be farmed out to Sky TV Cycling commentary when they buy the rights to the tour...

Understand, but there is a bit more to it on a cycling team. All the evenings, nights etc.

Anyway my only wish is a serious P-R campaign for a couple of season if he stays on the team.

The bottle service I can do without to be honest.
Dazed and Confused

13 Mar 2014 20:59

Seeing him in the back of the peloton today was certainly not very impressive...I missed the TTT yesterday, was he putting in a lot of work?
webvan

14 Mar 2014 03:28

Dazed and Confused wrote:Understand, but there is a bit more to it on a cycling team. All the evenings, nights etc.

Anyway my only wish is a serious P-R campaign for a couple of season if he stays on the team.

The bottle service I can do without to be honest.

he is too expensive for bottle service. Besides he is 'englishman', in a 'british team'. And he won't be survive going to other team. Garmin anyone? :D:D What is he going to do? GT contender? naaah... he doesn't seem to want to sacrifice like he did before.. Classic? ffffhhhh... it took boonen, cancelara, gilbert all their career years to be on the top.
User avatar Jelantik

14 Mar 2014 03:40

I have never seen a rider with so much talent be so lazy about it.
User avatar TourOfTexas

14 Mar 2014 06:57

TourOfTexas wrote:I have never seen a rider with so much talent be so lazy about it.

He worked 1 year and did all the things , all the sacrifices, not anymore.

I know football is bad analogy but it's full of examples like Wiggins, when you can't even be bothered it's all over.
EnacheV

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing