Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Mar 2014 09:39

TourOfTexas wrote:I have never seen a rider with so much talent be so lazy about it.

Matt Goss and Fabio Duarte are far ahead ;)
And Wiggins already won more than he could expect on the road. If Froome wouldn't come from nowhere Sir Brad would still be Sky's top man and his motivation would be totally different.
User avatar Wallenquist

14 Mar 2014 10:41

webvan wrote:I find it a bit extraordinary that a guy who couldn't (or barely) be dropped by the best climbers in the world in 2009, 2011 and 2012 (didn't do too bad in 2013 either before he quit the Giro, seemed to be at his 2012 level) couldn't do it all anymore to the point of not being a factor in T-A...

So there is the weight issue, but it seems we never got "real" numbers there as he most likely was not 71 kg in 2012, closer to 65 I'm sure and now he's supposed to be 77? Hardly overweight for a 1m90 frame, although admittedly it's going to be a bit of a handicap on long 10% climbs I suppose...

it's clearly all about motivation. he just can't be arsed anymore to do it and work so hard. he will soon retire I'm sure of and slip away into alcoholism just like his dad
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

14 Mar 2014 10:42

TourOfTexas wrote:I have never seen a rider with so much talent be so lazy about it.

meet fabio duarte. wigigns is far from the most talented. shown by how hard he had to work to be a tourcontender. super talents don't have to work that hard, but of course they do need to work some.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

14 Mar 2014 11:52

Wallenquist wrote:Matt Goss and Fabio Duarte are far ahead ;)
And Wiggins already won more than he could expect on the road. If Froome wouldn't come from nowhere Sir Brad would still be Sky's top man and his motivation would be totally different.

I don't think he's willing to put all else aside and dedicate his training and prep to stay at the level he attained in 2012. After winning he seemed to be the most miserable first time Tour winner that I can remember. He seemed to really shy away from the scrutiny and publicity over his win.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

14 Mar 2014 12:06

Ryo Hazuki wrote:meet fabio duarte. wigigns is far from the most talented. shown by how hard he had to work to be a tourcontender. super talents don't have to work that hard, but of course they do need to work some.

Fabio Duarte could win the Tour?

lol, seek help my friend. Seek help.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

14 Mar 2014 12:21

Well, we don't know for sure, but Hitch, I've heard some stories about Duarte's lazyness as well and it's epic. It makes Betancurt look like professional who trains a lot.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

14 Mar 2014 12:27

The Hitch wrote:Fabio Duarte could win the Tour?

lol, seek help my friend. Seek help.

like you know anything about cycling.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

14 Mar 2014 12:28

Ryo Hazuki wrote:like you know anything about cycling.

For someone who's so wrong so often, it's hilarious how often you retort with that line.
User avatar hrotha

14 Mar 2014 12:32

I doubt there's anyone that knows as much about cycling as I do.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

14 Mar 2014 12:52

Angliru wrote:I don't think he's willing to put all else aside and dedicate his training and prep to stay at the level he attained in 2012. After winning he seemed to be the most miserable first time Tour winner that I can remember. He seemed to really shy away from the scrutiny and publicity over his win.

Not to what i read and the amount of interview he gave. (because it got to a level of nausea if you compare to Froome's new this year). In my opinion, he seemed to enjoy his stardom. Even he plans to sneeze, the press reports that too :p. He got so over his head with his feud against Froome in the public last year, unfortunately he can't back it up with his performance. So that's kinda of bring him back to earth. This year, not much about him compare to last year. Similar to Evans, after years passed, he struggled to get back to his 2011 form.
User avatar Jelantik

14 Mar 2014 13:58

He's a guy that has peaked and then relaxed his efforts several times throughout his career, mainly in the Olympic cycle but most recently for 2011 and 2012 (he put in the effort across both years).
So it's not surprising he's repeated the cycle again. However he's now older and achieved almost everything in the sport at least once, so finding the same level of dedication must be difficult.
Morbius

Down your farm ...

20 Mar 2014 20:08

Olympic champion and Tour De France winner Bradley Wiggins will indeed be coming to Ambridge (BBC Radio 4 Agro/Soap) on Friday 21 March!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/posts/Bradley-Wiggins-to-appear-in-The-Archers
User avatar TourOfSardinia

20 Mar 2014 20:22

Morbius wrote:He's a guy that has peaked and then relaxed his efforts several times throughout his career, mainly in the Olympic cycle but most recently for 2011 and 2012 (he put in the effort across both years).
So it's not surprising he's repeated the cycle again. However he's now older and achieved almost everything in the sport at least once, so finding the same level of dedication must be difficult.

Not sure what all this **** is about achieving everything in the Sport !. Not even close to that !. One good year in handmade races and the rest riding round in circles. Id like him to to be the best rider in a grand Tour just once ! because he's not been that yet !.
arvc40

20 Mar 2014 20:26

arvc40 wrote:Not sure what all this **** is about achieving everything in the Sport !. Not even close to that !. One good year in handmade races and the rest riding round in circles. Id like him to to be the best rider in a grand Tour just once ! because he's not been that yet !.

Wiggins could not win a 1 day road race in the uk without a multi million pound investment behind him !. When sky ride Nationals they are up against people with day jobs.
arvc40

21 Mar 2014 00:22

[quote="arvc40"]Not sure what all this **** is about achieving everything in the Sport !. Not even close to that !. One good year in handmade races and the rest riding round in circles. Id like him to to be the best rider in a grand Tour just once ! because he's not been that yet !.[/QUOTE]

To be honest he was the best rider in that Tour, yes it was a route that was tailor made for him but no other rival took a single second out of him in the mountains and he blew everyone away in the 2 long iTT's. Even if Froome would have taken time in the mountains Wiggins had his measure in the TT's. He could have gone even quicker in the final TT but spent the last few k's of it realising he was about to make history.

Before you accuse me of being a Wiggins fanboy I'm firmly in the Froome camp but even I admit he would not have beaten Wiggins in that Tour.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

21 Mar 2014 03:13

Pricey_sky wrote:
arvc40 wrote:Not sure what all this **** is about achieving everything in the Sport !. Not even close to that !. One good year in handmade races and the rest riding round in circles. Id like him to to be the best rider in a grand Tour just once ! because he's not been that yet !.[/QUOTE]

To be honest he was the best rider in that Tour, yes it was a route that was tailor made for him but no other rival took a single second out of him in the mountains and he blew everyone away in the 2 long iTT's. Even if Froome would have taken time in the mountains Wiggins had his measure in the TT's. He could have gone even quicker in the final TT but spent the last few k's of it realising he was about to make history.

Before you accuse me of being a Wiggins fanboy I'm firmly in the Froome camp but even I admit he would not have beaten Wiggins in that Tour.

Of course we will never know because it's in the past. But....imo Froome could have beat Wiggins in 2012. Personally I think Froome could have put more than 3 minutes of time into Wiggins in the mountains. Also Froome was working his **** off for Wiggins, pacing him, riding in the wind, and he still was able to place second. That's just my opinion....not that it changes anything. :) I guess I'm just agreeing with arvc40, that he was never #1 in a grand tour.
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes - Rom 1:16"

21 Mar 2014 09:38

Pricey_sky wrote:
arvc40 wrote:Not sure what all this **** is about achieving everything in the Sport !. Not even close to that !. One good year in handmade races and the rest riding round in circles. Id like him to to be the best rider in a grand Tour just once ! because he's not been that yet !.[/QUOTE]

My opinion is that Froome could have destroyed Wiggins in 2012. TT advantage would have been a **** in the ocean. Money and promise to Froome from Sky is what gave him "his turn" to win in 2012. If Froome had applied pressure on him for the whole 3 weeks he would have been screwed.
arvc40

21 Mar 2014 09:41

arvc40 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:
My opinion is that Froome could have destroyed Wiggins in 2012. TT advantage would have been a **** in the ocean. Money and promise to Froome from Sky is what gave him "his turn" to win in 2012. If Froome had applied pressure on him for the whole 3 weeks he would have been screwed.

Why do you think he is so sore over the whole thing !. Wiggins Knows the truth.
arvc40

21 Mar 2014 09:48

arvc40 wrote:
arvc40 wrote:
Why do you think he is so sore over the whole thing !. Wiggins Knows the truth.

Froome. Rightful winner of 2 TDF and 1 Tour of Spain.
arvc40

21 Mar 2014 13:37

i love this guy! keep quoting himself! :D
User avatar Guybrush

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing