Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Apr 2014 16:19

The Hitch wrote:Yeah cos post 2009 Wiggins really struggles with climbs doesn't he.

He doesnt have the big explosive power for short sharp Flanders type climbs. Long drags suit him much better
willbick

06 Apr 2014 17:02

The Hitch wrote:Yeah cos post 2009 Wiggins really struggles with climbs doesn't he.

didnt know Mount Ventoux was a 400 metres 25% climb..

Thx mate for letting us know ;)

:D
Gloin22

06 Apr 2014 17:34

Lanark wrote:Ok. I just don't see why. He's just a packfilling domesqique now. It's like discussing where Maarten Wynants finished.

It's just fun to see Wiggo up front on the climbs in Flanders, he seems totally out of place and yet he doesn't. And given his Giro antics last year, I'd have expected him to be too afraid to even finish this race.
theyoungest

06 Apr 2014 17:54

Gloin22 wrote:didnt know Mount Ventoux was a 400 metres 25% climb..

Thx mate for letting us know ;)

:D

Cuena las Cabres is 24 %
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

06 Apr 2014 17:59

Lanark wrote:Ok. I just don't see why. He's just a packfilling domesqique now. It's like discussing where Maarten Wynants finished.

Maarten Wynants actually finishes arround 10th place in PR quite often.....
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

06 Apr 2014 18:12

:rolleyes:
sorry wise man, I should've said Bergs, Flandrian cobbled 18% bergs. I beg your pardon.
I don't know if you re-read your posts, but ANY sentence not including something negative about Wiggo, is immediately replied to and corrected.
wow, amazing. :rolleyes:

by the way, Wiggo was 32nd, 18 sec behind Sagan, and in front of some good riders more suited for these kind of races like Paolini, Phinney (yes I know Taylor was tired after being in the break) Quinziato, Hushovd, Boom (yes I know Boom injured his elbow) Hayman, Trentin etc.
pastronef

06 Apr 2014 18:34

Well he does with these short, sharp cobbled climbs! Completely different to the gradual ascent he likes, or at least used to like.

Not bad from him today, I expected a DNF. Maybe it's possible he could actually top 10 in PR.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Apr 2014 18:54

I see Sky will be riding for EBH at Roubaix:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-frustrated-with-performance-at-tour-of-flanders

That'll end well... :o
JRanton

06 Apr 2014 21:57

pastronef wrote::rolleyes:
sorry wise man, I should've said Bergs, Flandrian cobbled 18% bergs. I beg your pardon.
I don't know if you re-read your posts, but ANY sentence not including something negative about Wiggo, is immediately replied to and corrected.
wow, amazing. :rolleyes:

by the way, Wiggo was 32nd, 18 sec behind Sagan, and in front of some good riders more suited for these kind of races like Paolini, Phinney (yes I know Taylor was tired after being in the break) Quinziato, Hushovd, Boom (yes I know Boom injured his elbow) Hayman, Trentin etc.

Wiggo was packfill, the others, for the most part, played a role in the actual race.
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

06 Apr 2014 22:00

JRanton wrote:I see Sky will be riding for EBH at Roubaix:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-frustrated-with-performance-at-tour-of-flanders

That'll end well... :o

It will end better than if they ride for Wiggs. :p
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

06 Apr 2014 22:23

wow. this is a lot of attn paid to a rider who finished in 32nd place.

am i missing something here? :confused:
User avatar spanky wanderlust

06 Apr 2014 22:39

spanky wanderlust wrote:wow. this is a lot of attn paid to a rider who finished in 32nd place.

Everyone wishes he would stop talking **** !. Win a race for once.
arvc40

06 Apr 2014 22:41

spanky wanderlust wrote:wow. this is a lot of attn paid to a rider who finished in 32nd place.

People (myself included) doubted his ability for PR based on an inability to handle the cobbles. Whilst 32nd place isn't amazing, he showed a decent ability on the cobbles that could mean a decent placing in PR, which suits his other characteristics much better.

I still don't expect him to win PR but a finish or a long spell out front with the leaders seems possible at least.
User avatar CycloAndy

06 Apr 2014 22:43

roundabout wrote:32nd place today. Good job.

Yes, good job. 32nd is a good effort. His Nan will be proud. No use for the Team at all today. Good luck next week Sir Wigg
arvc40

06 Apr 2014 22:51

Hilarious. What a perfectly Wiggins ride from Wiggins. Did nothing, showed nothing, ended nowhere. Rode like he has decent form just doesn't give a ****.
karlboss

06 Apr 2014 22:54

No, because you came to this thread so you wouldn't miss a chance to belittle Wiggo and fans.
Nuash65

06 Apr 2014 22:54

It's like people didn't even watch the race.

He was with Thomas the entire way round, sheltering him, getting him to the front at the important times, and doing a great team job. After the big crash he did a lot of riding on the front getting Thomas back to the front group.
hatcher

06 Apr 2014 22:57

You're missing the fact it's a Tour de France winner who based the front of his season around Paris-Roubaix. That is not a common occurrence, and this was the first test of his form. The fact that he was with the front group the final time up the Kwaremont is noteworthy. Especially as he was riding for someone else, and wasn't even in the team until a few days ago.
hatcher

06 Apr 2014 22:57

he finished between jan barta and some guy named andrey bakkazhakova, who i've never even heard of.

i'll have to google him because he is clearly now a favorite for pr. i mean, since he finished 33rd in flanders! :rolleyes:

(rushes off to post in the bakkazhakova appreciation thread. wait, what? where is it? did someone delete it?)

sorry. i'm being snarky. i'll stop. :D ;)

good ride wiggo!
User avatar spanky wanderlust

06 Apr 2014 23:02

karlboss wrote:Hilarious. What a perfectly Wiggins ride from Wiggins. Did nothing, showed nothing, ended nowhere. Rode like he has decent form just doesn't give a ****.

Are you mates with G to have this insight?

Elsewhere I've read (Sam Hocking http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-frustrated-with-performance-at-tour-of-flanders ) "Top ride by Wiggins apparently who did a lot of work to get Thomas back to the Cancellera group after Thomas smashed into the central reservation" but you obviously have confirmation that this wasn't the case ...

Or did you base your post on nothing more than your prior prejudice against him?
Nuash65

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing