Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Apr 2014 23:06

hatcher wrote:It's like people didn't even watch the race.

He was with Thomas the entire way round, sheltering him, getting him to the front at the important times, and doing a great team job. After the big crash he did a lot of riding on the front getting Thomas back to the front group.

I watched the coverage start to finish, and you're definitely overstating it. Wiggins and Thomas are easy to spot with the union flags on their sleeves and were often not together. The one time he may have really helped was after the big crash there was a lone sky rider aiding the chase to bring the favourites back, but I couldn't tell you if it was Wiggins or not because we didn't get a close up. I'd assume it was.
karlboss

06 Apr 2014 23:17

No Win today. No Win next Week. End
arvc40

07 Apr 2014 00:19

pastronef wrote::rolleyes:
sorry wise man, I should've said Bergs, Flandrian cobbled 18% bergs. I beg your pardon.
I don't know if you re-read your posts, but ANY sentence not including something negative about Wiggo, is immediately replied to and corrected.

People say Wiggins can't climb. Their being negative
I say he can climb, I'm being negative.

Make up your ****ing mind. :cool:

You've clearly paid no attention to what I actually wrote and are attacking me purely for comments I made about Wiggins in other non related threads. If I was on the opposite side of the discussion and saying that Wiggins can't climb you would make the exact same accusations at me.

You may notice that this - the Wiggins appreciation thread, was started by none others than me - the hitch, so no I do not have any pre bias against Wiggins, I have merely over the years been repulsed by some of his bullying and otherwise disgusting behavior, like insulting Garmin, not giving froome his prize money, making offensive jokes at a charity event etc.

None of which I mentioned in my post. I commented on the discussion pointed out that Wiggins was a world class climber. He came top 5 on Angliru afterall.

To get back to the discussion instead of the personal stuff you sidetracked it with, you say cobbled climbs are not the same as mountains, no they aren't. But neither are the flat cobbles of Paris roubaix. Why should the cobbles of roubaix suit him more is what I was getting at. :confused: your first post suggested that they would. The point I was trying to make is that Wiggins in the flandrian classics is going up against 80kg sprinters and flat domestiques. No, the 18% gradients might not be ideal for him. But they sure as hell suit him more relative to flat cobbles than the likes of Degenkolb or van summeren.

Who do you think is going to be more relieved that the cobbles are on flat roads now? The guys who''ve never in their lives finished in the lead group of a race with so much as a categorized climb in it, or a guy who outclimbed Nibali in 2 successive gts?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

07 Apr 2014 00:42

Nuash65 wrote:Are you mates with G to have this insight?

Elsewhere I've read (Sam Hocking http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-frustrated-with-performance-at-tour-of-flanders ) "Top ride by Wiggins apparently who did a lot of work to get Thomas back to the Cancellera group after Thomas smashed into the central reservation" but you obviously have confirmation that this wasn't the case ...

Or did you base your post on nothing more than your prior prejudice against him?

Brad Wiggins, Tour de France champion, one of the best TT riders in the world, rides himself to 32nd, and he dragged Thomas up after an early crash, when the break was established and the convey was infront of him? You never know, it was before coverage, so maybe the cars all got off the road, not helping at all, and Wiggins really did have to shield him from the wind to pull back the minutes that were lost, but as near as i can tell there his contribution ended. When he really would have been needed, after Thomas fell back on the Taainberg where was Wiggins? I'm sure he would have helped if he were there, but it was the fact he looked comfortable on the final climbs and wasn't there that lead to my comment. Well that coupled with his early racing efforts in 2014.

Edit: so yes it is my prejudice that influenced my comment ;)
karlboss

07 Apr 2014 01:20

I admit, I'm not a fan of the guy but I thought it was a good ride and I give him props.
User avatar jaylew

07 Apr 2014 03:51

karlboss wrote:I watched the coverage start to finish, and you're definitely overstating it. Wiggins and Thomas are easy to spot with the union flags on their sleeves and were often not together. The one time he may have really helped was after the big crash there was a lone sky rider aiding the chase to bring the favourites back, but I couldn't tell you if it was Wiggins or not because we didn't get a close up. I'd assume it was.

Bingo. One big notable pull for a teammate. Better than absolutely nothing. But given the palmares, not really impressive in the least.

For all the others that think this was a good showing and that Wiggo is OK for the cobbles, let's just hope for his sake it stays dry for next weekend.
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

07 Apr 2014 04:20

Ripper wrote:Bingo. One big notable pull for a teammate. Better than absolutely nothing. But given the palmares, not really impressive in the least.

For all the others that think this was a good showing and that Wiggo is OK for the cobbles, let's just hope for his sake it stays dry for next weekend.

I was wrong, that was Thomas himself and Wiggins' pull occured after Thomas crash before coverage started.
karlboss

07 Apr 2014 05:48

Not a bad ride by Wiggo. Pretty encouraging.
movingtarget

07 Apr 2014 08:31

JRanton wrote:I see Sky will be riding for EBH at Roubaix:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-frustrated-with-performance-at-tour-of-flanders

That'll end well... :o

EBH rode quite well though :)
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

07 Apr 2014 12:51

greenedge wrote:EBH rode quite well though :)

Until 20km to go, like always.

EDIT - I'm not suggesting Sky has a better option, it's just that with EBH as your leader for Roubaix you might as well not bother to turn up.
JRanton

07 Apr 2014 12:55

movingtarget wrote:Not a bad ride by Wiggo. Pretty encouraging.

Encouraging towards what?
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

07 Apr 2014 12:55

hatcher wrote:You're missing the fact it's a Tour de France winner who based the front of his season around Paris-Roubaix. That is not a common occurrence, and this was the first test of his form. The fact that he was with the front group the final time up the Kwaremont is noteworthy. Especially as he was riding for someone else, and wasn't even in the team until a few days ago.

Shows how far he's fallen that's he's built the first half of his season around a race where he won't even be team leader.
JRanton

07 Apr 2014 14:11

movingtarget wrote:Not a bad ride by Wiggo. Pretty encouraging.

This makes me laugh. Its the sort of comment you would expect for a Junior rider from his Nan. We are talking about a Tdf winner, with millions in the bank and the support of one or the best Team in the world.

The other aspect of his and Sky's peformance is that if your tactic is to just follow the fella with Trek on his jersey all day, not take the initiative and use the likes of Wiggins to some affect on segments that suit him, then Wigg is just going to slip backwards bit by bit having done no job at all.
arvc40

07 Apr 2014 15:03

Just wtf with Sky's team selections though? Wiggins talks about Roubaix as a target but wouldn't even have started RVV if Stannard were fit; and didn't start Het N, E3, Dwars or G-W either. Because these northern classics are so straight forward to read you can just pitch up and have a go :rolleyes:
VO2 Max

07 Apr 2014 15:05

There's a vast difference between Belgian classics and Roubaix. And Wiggins rode Roubaix few times already to know it decently well.
Gloin22

08 Apr 2014 01:06

arvc40 wrote:This makes me laugh. Its the sort of comment you would expect for a Junior rider from his Nan. We are talking about a Tdf winner, with millions in the bank and the support of one or the best Team in the world.

The other aspect of his and Sky's peformance is that if your tactic is to just follow the fella with Trek on his jersey all day, not take the initiative and use the likes of Wiggins to some affect on segments that suit him, then Wigg is just going to slip backwards bit by bit having done no job at all.

How many recent Tour winners have done well at Flanders ? Most riders are just following as that's the best they can do. Cancellara does incredibly well in GTs. Since when does millions in the bank mean anything in a bike race. Andy Schleck, Gilbert ? I take it Wiggo is not on your Christmas card list. Geraint Thomas was the team leader not Wiggo. My nan is dead and she was a realist.
movingtarget

08 Apr 2014 03:54

is this for real? Wiggins will be one of the sky leaders for Paris-Roubaix and G will ride for him? how come? G has result already, and wiggins none as far as classic goes :confused:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/despite-flanders-showing-thomas-happy-to-ride-for-sky-teammates-at-paris-roubaix_323037
User avatar Jelantik

08 Apr 2014 04:30

Jelantik wrote:is this for real? Wiggins will be one of the sky leaders for Paris-Roubaix and G will ride for him? how come? G has result already, and wiggins none as far as classic goes :confused:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/despite-flanders-showing-thomas-happy-to-ride-for-sky-teammates-at-paris-roubaix_323037

It's April Fools every day at Sky ...
User avatar Ripper

08 Apr 2014 10:18

movingtarget wrote:How many recent Tour winners have done well at Flanders ? Most riders are just following as that's the best they can do. Cancellara does incredibly well in GTs. Since when does millions in the bank mean anything in a bike race. Andy Schleck, Gilbert ? I take it Wiggo is not on your Christmas card list. Geraint Thomas was the team leader not Wiggo. My nan is dead and she was a realist.

If by well you mean a performance similar to Wiggins', then it'd be Armstrong. Quite fitting, no? :)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

08 Apr 2014 10:57

Netserk wrote:If by well you mean a performance similar to Wiggins', then it'd be Armstrong. Quite fitting, no? :)

Well no as Armstrong basically has no results post the reasoned decision especially in Flanders and Roubaix. But that requires an understanding of cycling.

So why wouldn't the mgt of Team Sky try and motivate a rider who is going badly by making him a leader for a race that realistically they will do poorly in without Stannard. Boasson hasn't ever shown the goods while Thomas I would think is too light so what harm is done.

The good news for Team Sky is at least they are not Orica Greenedge!
timmers

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing