Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Apr 2014 07:58

Great racing yesterday, however its laughable watching Twitter as it unfolds.

"Wiggins with his track experience will smash them in the velodrom"
"I bet Cancellara isnt laughing now about Wiggins riding Roubaix"
etc

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.

Track experience means knack all after the bashing they had. Spartacus will just go home and look at his other cobbles he has won and the recent RvV trophy, he will also look to see him finished well above Wiggins despite his lack of track experience.

One other thing that gets my goat. Its the Sir thing that the British media especially bang on about! They dont say Mr. Fabian Cancellara, or Mr Peter Sagan!

If Wiggins is going to do track next season. Will he have capacity to do P-R next season?
User avatar MartinGT
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,638
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48
Location: Leeds, UK

14 Apr 2014 08:07

memyselfandI wrote:If Sky had third man in that last mix yesterday they could have done same what Terpstra did but not with two men. Not enough sprint power for the line so same recipe only solution but not this time..


That rider should have been EBH.
Sir Wiggo was the "Stannard card"
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,360
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

14 Apr 2014 10:07

Ripper wrote:Well, perhaps we can forget to whole GT thing ever occurred. Somewhat like forgetting certain movies ever took place (Exorcist II anyone?)

The whole significant weight loss, improving on power/aerodynamics (for short and long TT performance), year long winning at a high level while, even though unnaturally thin for his body type, not getting sick or injured. I'd prefer to think of it like a bad dream.

I could see Wiggs as a classics guy. And with enough practice, even cobbles in the rain would not be a death knell. I'm pretty disappointed to hear G is now focusing on GTs.


You don't get in the final selection of a Roubaix, or pull back a Cancellara group in the final 20k without serious chops. I think very sensible questions can be asked about the GC years in "another place", but I think the decent last minute flanders, and then this, realistically has to put to bed the notion that Wiggins is just a donkey.

Still a t***er though.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.


Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,064
Joined: 15 Oct 2012 12:59
Location: Ireland

14 Apr 2014 10:11

MartinGT wrote:Great racing yesterday, however its laughable watching Twitter as it unfolds.

"Wiggins with his track experience will smash them in the velodrom"
"I bet Cancellara isnt laughing now about Wiggins riding Roubaix"
etc

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.

Track experience means knack all after the bashing they had. Spartacus will just go home and look at his other cobbles he has won and the recent RvV trophy, he will also look to see him finished well above Wiggins despite his lack of track experience.

One other thing that gets my goat. Its the Sir thing that the British media especially bang on about! They dont say Mr. Fabian Cancellara, or Mr Peter Sagan!

If Wiggins is going to do track next season. Will he have capacity to do P-R next season?


You can dislike the man as much as you like, many of us do - but, actually, I'd say its pretty cose to the truth that Cancellara wasn't laughing now - not only did wiggins make the final selection, more to the point he dragged a handful of other riders, swelling the numbers at the front uncomfortably.

Of course the idea of Wiggins winning some kind of track sprint was laughable.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.


Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,064
Joined: 15 Oct 2012 12:59
Location: Ireland

14 Apr 2014 10:24

Great ride from Wiggins and he was in the back all the time. Only until L'Arbre we didn't see him ride and he rode hard there!
If he starts to learn how to position himself he might actually become a contender.

I'm really glad that I was one of the few nonSky-fanboys who actually said that it wouldn't surprise me if he did well :D
User avatar Kwibus
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,269
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

14 Apr 2014 10:33

martinvickers wrote:You don't get in the final selection of a Roubaix, or pull back a Cancellara group in the final 20k without serious chops. I think very sensible questions can be asked about the GC years in "another place", but I think the decent last minute flanders, and then this, realistically has to put to bed the notion that Wiggins is just a donkey.

Still a t***er though.

Lol, Wiggo didn't 'pull back a Cancellara group in the final 20k'. That is so disingenuous.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

14 Apr 2014 10:37

MartinGT wrote:Great racing yesterday, however its laughable watching Twitter as it unfolds.

"Wiggins with his track experience will smash them in the velodrom"
"I bet Cancellara isnt laughing now about Wiggins riding Roubaix"
etc

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.

Track experience means knack all after the bashing they had. Spartacus will just go home and look at his other cobbles he has won and the recent RvV trophy, he will also look to see him finished well above Wiggins despite his lack of track experience.

One other thing that gets my goat. Its the Sir thing that the British media especially bang on about! They dont say Mr. Fabian Cancellara, or Mr Peter Sagan!

If Wiggins is going to do track next season. Will he have capacity to do P-R next season?


I think the whole sir thing is ridiculous, especially considering you're sort of expected to call him sir in Britain (certainly in public). Calling someone sir because they won a bike race is not even elitism, it's just stupidity.
User avatar Arnout
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,234
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 14:01
Location: Netherlands

14 Apr 2014 11:55

Arnout wrote:I think the whole sir thing is ridiculous, especially considering you're sort of expected to call him sir in Britain (certainly in public). Calling someone sir because they won a bike race is not even elitism, it's just stupidity.


Whole honours system is a ****ing joke. It will be Sir David Beckham and lady Victoria soon enough.

Kirby's commentary during the race was a cringe worthy, repeatedly calling Wiggins a night of the round table.

Just let me know when he wins a race as the strongest rider.
arvc40
Junior Member
 
Posts: 757
Joined: 01 Jul 2013 15:27

14 Apr 2014 12:23

Good to see credit where credit is due being offered by so many here.
Especially since the guy is not easy to appreciate.
Of course, for a small minority, even faint praise is a step too far.
A pity for those few, because it was a fine race, in which Wiggins played a key role in its outcome.
Mellow Velo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,592
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 09:48

14 Apr 2014 12:28

Mellow Velo wrote:Good to see credit where credit is due being offered by so many here.
Especially since the guy is not easy to appreciate.
Of course, for a small minority, even faint praise is a step too far.
A pity for those few, because it was a fine race, in which Wiggins played a key role in its outcome.


Wait, tell me about the key role Wiggins played? I mean, I think he raced well, better than expected, but key role?
User avatar Arnout
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,234
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 14:01
Location: Netherlands

14 Apr 2014 12:37

I hope Sir Wiggins doesn't decide to change his focus again next year. He won me over today and hopefully he'll give this style of racing his full attention next year.
User avatar perico
Junior Member
 
Posts: 506
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

14 Apr 2014 14:36

There were at least 9 riders with a more important role than Wiggins, so hardly a key role he had. [color="White"]Terpstra, Boonen, Vanmarcke, Cancellara, Sagan, Thomas, Stybar, Degenkolb & Hushovd[/color]
Just goes to show how biased some are...
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

14 Apr 2014 14:59

Why do people say wiggins wasnt strongest rider in 2012 tour? Doesnt time trialling count?
willbick
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,380
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

14 Apr 2014 15:06

Netserk wrote:Lol, Wiggo didn't 'pull back a Cancellara group in the final 20k'. That is so disingenuous.


Be careful of the accusations, Netserk. You're entitled to your opinion on what Wiggins' did during the race, but it has no special merit, and it doesn't entitle you to a personal dig at me.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.


Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,064
Joined: 15 Oct 2012 12:59
Location: Ireland

14 Apr 2014 15:14

martinvickers wrote:Be careful of the accusations, Netserk. You're entitled to your opinion on what Wiggins' did during the race, but it has no special merit, and it doesn't entitle you to a personal dig at me.

What Wiggins did during the race is not an opinion. He didn't pull that group back. He was part of a group that caught the front group after both Canc and Vanmarcke sat up. Drop the BS.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

14 Apr 2014 16:22

willbick wrote:Why do people say wiggins wasnt strongest rider in 2012 tour? Doesnt time trialling count?


Because Froome made him look like a sprinter on the climbs and still wasn't too far back from him in the TT's iirc.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,386
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

14 Apr 2014 16:47

Hell of a good ride by Wiggins in PR. Did more than I'd have expected. Showed me something by doing that race and doing it well.
User avatar red_flanders
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,448
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 06:45

14 Apr 2014 17:19

Thomas was Sky's man of the match. He is turning in to a very good rider. I wonder if he can climb mountains in the front group? Would be nice to see.

Very good ride by Wiggins in Paris Roubaix. I think he is in a good place mentally and can ride well for the rest of the year. Sadly, I fear we will not see him in the Tour this year. A recent interview of Froome in The Guardian suggests he would prefer for Wiggins not to be there.

When talking about the cobbled stage in this year's Tour, Froome is quoted:

"Who will be the key team-mates for this stage – Bradley Wiggins has stated his ambition to do well at Paris-Roubaix: if he rides it this year will he be a key superdomestique at the Tour? Froome is cagey: "The team selection will obviously be made closer to the Tour, but I'd hope to have someone like Yogi (Ian Stannard) with me."


http://www.theguardian.com/sport/100-tours-100-tales/2014/apr/11/chris-froome-hell-north-paris-roubaix-cobbles-cycling-race


Shane Sutton has said that Wiggins won't make the cut on current form, probably to spur him on. Let's see if Wiggins rides the Dauphine with Froome. If he loses the extra weight he has put on for the classics and rides well there I don't see how he can be left out.

Sky in particular know that the publicity value of Wiggins in a Tour starting in Britain is massive.
Non Grimpeur
Junior Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 21:17

14 Apr 2014 17:50

What a bizarre situation. A guy who won the Tour for a team being potentially kept out. Just a strange turn of events.
User avatar red_flanders
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,448
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 06:45

14 Apr 2014 18:08

MartinGT wrote: Spartacus will just go home and look at his other cobbles he has won and the recent RvV trophy,


I suppose Wiggins can always go home and look at this trophy:

Image
Vino love the rain. Vino love the cold. Vino love the hot. Vino not feel the difference.
User avatar happychappy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 908
Joined: 19 Apr 2010 21:49
Location: Nowhere

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests

Back to top