Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Apr 2014 18:39

red_flanders wrote:What a bizarre situation. A guy who won the Tour for a team being potentially kept out. Just a strange turn of events.

Wiggins will get in the team as soon as he proves...

a) he can be useful
b) he will be loyal

Hence California/Dauphine.

Neither a, nor b, is a given.

That's the nature of Sky. Use, roll up, toss in bin.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

14 Apr 2014 19:14

red_flanders wrote:What a bizarre situation. A guy who won the Tour for a team being potentially kept out. Just a strange turn of events.

It's not really that bizarre when you look at Wiggins history with GT racing since he won the Tour.

-Said he didn't enjoy winning.
-decided to focus on Giro, left early after some setbacks.
-no motivation to train for the GT's anymore, new focus on worlds TT.
-said he may be finished with GT's in general.
-new focus on one days and track in Rio Olympics.

Since he won the Tour he hasn't really shown anything in stage racing that would make him deserving of a spot on the Tour squad. Plus his history with Froome and history of wanting to be the sole leader in races puts how much he would do for Froome in question.

I expect he'll probably end up on the Tour squad if he really want to race the Tour. But he may have to show that he is willing to work for Froome and that he can handle and do a good job in a stage race first.
User avatar Afrank

14 Apr 2014 19:29

The main issue for Sky is Wiggo's popularity in UK (England?). If Froome was very popular, the team would have thrown Wiggo out already imo.

Ah the balance of sporting results versus popularity. Delicate, but I think Froome can solve the problem with a perfect run in to the tour.
Dazed and Confused

14 Apr 2014 19:40

Afrank wrote:Since he won the Tour he hasn't really shown anything in stage racing that would make him deserving of a spot on the Tour squad.

Everything you say is true, except that it is worth remembering that he rode pretty well at Catalunya and Trentino last year--he was fifth in both races, and neither of them had a TT.

I still think he would be a strange pick for the Tour team, if only because of his poor relationship with Froome.

Wiggins and the team need to come up with a plan and a schedule for him. It feels like they are just making it up as they go along.
shalgo

14 Apr 2014 19:45

To be fair he will be auseful for Froome on the flat and cobble stages if he maintains his P-R form, with them not really competing for the GC spot, I think they can get on fine
del1962

14 Apr 2014 19:50

Dazed and Confused wrote:The main issue for Sky is Wiggo's popularity in UK (England?). If Froome was very popular, the team would have thrown Wiggo out already imo.

Ah the balance of sporting results versus popularity. Delicate, but I think Froome can solve the problem with a perfect run in to the tour.

Which hasn't been the case exactly so far and he seems to be in some sort of "limbo" at this point...there is a bit of a "curse" on the reigning TDF champ since...hum...2006 I suppose, for varying reasons, but the end result's been the same, no (official) consecutive wins.
webvan

14 Apr 2014 19:54

del1962 wrote:To be fair he will be auseful for Froome on the flat and cobble stages if he maintains his P-R form, with them not really competing for the GC spot, I think they can get on fine

His role would be similar to what the role of Stannard or Eisel would be I expect. He's now proven that he can be useful over the cobble stage, and it shouldn't be too much of an ask for some work on the flat land as well. If he can show some decent climbing form (in Cali or Dauphine most likely) he should make the squad easy.

Truth be told, a Wiggins with 2014 cobble/flat land ability with just a little of the 2012 Wiggins climbing form would be an excellent domestique for Froome.
User avatar Afrank

14 Apr 2014 20:01

happychappy wrote:I suppose Wiggins can always go home and look at this trophy:

Yes and remember that he was not the best rider and that money paid for that trophy.
arvc40

14 Apr 2014 20:19

arvc40 wrote:Yes and remember that he was not the best rider and that money paid for that trophy.

I doubt he gives a sh!t.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

14 Apr 2014 20:20

Netserk wrote:There were at least 9 riders with a more important role than Wiggins, so hardly a key role he had. [color="White"]Terpstra, Boonen, Vanmarcke, Cancellara, Sagan, Thomas, Stybar, Degenkolb & Hushovd[/color]
Just goes to show how biased some are...

Fortunately, here there were only two.
Mellow Velo

14 Apr 2014 20:22

Mellow Velo wrote:Fortunately, here there were only two.

So which of those 9 riders did Wiggins have a bigger role than?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

14 Apr 2014 20:26

webvan wrote:Which hasn't been the case exactly so far and he seems to be in some sort of "limbo" at this point...there is a bit of a "curse" on the reigning TDF champ since...hum...2006 I suppose, for varying reasons, but the end result's been the same, no (official) consecutive wins.

yea, the landscape looks a bit muddy, but a perfect run in from here will solve the problem.

TdR
CdD

I think Froome can win these races, unless Nibali steps up particular in TdR with the descending.
Dazed and Confused

14 Apr 2014 20:36

As much of the fact that I'm not a SKY fan. I thought Wiggo rode a great race.

Tip of the Hat!
thehook

14 Apr 2014 20:41

Afrank wrote:It's not really that bizarre when you look at Wiggins history with GT racing since he won the Tour.

-Said he didn't enjoy winning.
-decided to focus on Giro, left early after some setbacks.
-no motivation to train for the GT's anymore, new focus on worlds TT.
-said he may be finished with GT's in general.
-new focus on one days and track in Rio Olympics.

Since he won the Tour he hasn't really shown anything in stage racing that would make him deserving of a spot on the Tour squad. Plus his history with Froome and history of wanting to be the sole leader in races puts how much he would do for Froome in question.

I expect he'll probably end up on the Tour squad if he really want to race the Tour. But he may have to show that he is willing to work for Froome and that he can handle and do a good job in a stage race first.

It's not that I don't realize how it came to pass, it's just a strange path, one you don't see very often.

My comment is neither critical or complimentary. Just an observation.
User avatar red_flanders

14 Apr 2014 20:53

martinvickers wrote:I doubt he gives a sh!t.

I think you're right:
Dazed and Confused

14 Apr 2014 20:56

red_flanders wrote:It's not that I don't realize how it came to pass, it's just a strange path, one you don't see very often.

My comment is neither critical or complimentary. Just an observation.

I agree to that. Wiggins course has definitely taken and odd turn since winning the Tour.
User avatar Afrank

14 Apr 2014 21:01

Wiggins winning the Tour was the point where his course took an odd turn.

It's quite amazing that almost 2 years on the effect of the 2012 Tour is still being felt in the Froome-Wiggins relationship
User avatar roundabout

14 Apr 2014 22:47

martinvickers wrote:I doubt he gives a sh!t.

No he really doesn't, he will be too busy trying to make his way through all the Olympic medals in his home! :D

If he can prove he is still useful in the mountains he will be a good addition to Froome's Tour defence.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 Apr 2014 22:57

Afrank wrote:Because Froome made him look like a sprinter on the climbs and still wasn't too far back from him in the TT's iirc.

A 'sprinter' that none of the other GC contenders could put a single second into on any stage. Get real
willbick

14 Apr 2014 23:36

willbick wrote:A 'sprinter' that none of the other GC contenders could put a single second into on any stage. Get real

Ill say again, just let me know when he wins a race, one which he is the strongest rider and has not paid off the best rider in the world, to babysit him every step of the way round a soft route that must have been designed for him.

In 2013 he bottled the Tour and the rider who could not be bought any more was given leadership of Wiggins Team. That says it all really.

Good effort is 9th in PR though, legendary, epic, lol.
arvc40

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing