Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 Apr 2014 12:12

elfed68 wrote:Wiggins to lead the Giro team?



No. He's going to ride California.
User avatar Wallenquist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 11:24
Location: Poland

18 Apr 2014 12:48

I know that's been planned but in view of the team difficulties with Porte dropping out, could they be secretly planning a Giro start, as they're stuck for a leader.

Or is it the plan to try and gain publicity by taking the USA race a bit more seriously than in past outings?

I also really can't see how they can leave Wiggins out of the Tour team, for a few reasons. As Porte hasn't been showing great form of late he would be an excellent plan B.
And also, seeing as the tour starts in the UK this year, Team Sky would be committing PR suicide by leaving him out.
elfed68
Junior Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

18 Apr 2014 13:38

I wouldn't mind Wiggins starting the Giro (purely for comedic releif reasons :p). But don't see it happening. Wiggins is through with contending in GT's. Just doesn't have the motivation for it. Which also makes Cali, the perfect race for him to demonstrate to Sky management whether he still has the stage racing/climbing ability.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

18 Apr 2014 13:43

Gloin22 wrote:He's not a climber anymore... His GC days are over .His goal is gaining weight for Track in rio and Roubaix ( and he achieved that however that goal is still obviously going )


10characte
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,714
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

18 Apr 2014 13:57

Afrank wrote:I wouldn't mind Wiggins starting the Giro (purely for comedic releif reasons :p).


Doesn't everybody underestimate this guy's abilities?

He's always saying different things to the press, for all we know his programme for the year could be different to what we think?

I know I come across as a Wiggins fanboy, which I admit I am, he's one of the sport's individuals which in this day and age are quite rare, guess every sport's got one.
elfed68
Junior Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

18 Apr 2014 14:11

elfed68 wrote:Doesn't everybody underestimate this guy's abilities?

He's always saying different things to the press, for all we know his programme for the year could be different to what we think?

I know I come across as a Wiggins fanboy, which I admit I am, he's one of the sport's individuals which in this day and age are quite rare, guess every sport's got one.


It's normal that people hate him, they are only jealous. It's rare for a rider that can be so successful and clean at the same time. Just like Froome and Porte.
Matdum94
Junior Member
 
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Apr 2014 14:48

18 Apr 2014 14:14

elfed68 wrote:Doesn't everybody underestimate this guy's abilities?

He's always saying different things to the press, for all we know his programme for the year could be different to what we think?

I know I come across as a Wiggins fanboy, which I admit I am, he's one of the sport's individuals which in this day and age are quite rare, guess every sport's got one.


Yes, he probably gets underestimated on a number of things (like PR). I know I'm probably guiltyof underestimating him (sometimes in jest, sometimes serious). One thing i think that could be fairly said about Wiggins, when he sets his mind to someting and really commits himself, he more or less acheives it. But I don't think he'll set his mind on placing well in a GT at all anymore. Good domestique for Froome at best.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

18 Apr 2014 14:17

Matdum94 wrote:It's normal that people hate him, they are only jealous. It's rare for a rider that can be so successful and clean at the same time. Just like Froome and Porte.


Jealous? I very highly doubt that. Dislike of him is more to do with his riding style, comments made in the press, and other reasons that won't be brought up here. :seriousmodface:
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

18 Apr 2014 14:43

Surely Team Sky need a good plan b with Contador riding so well?
I doubt Wiggins could get motivated to ride for Froome, which I don't blame him, hopefully he'll be offered a free role in the Tour.

As for Wiggins the classics man(cycle racing not literature:p), Team Sky look very promising, with their squad having Thomas, Stannard, Swift and EBH(if he's still there). A bit like OPQS in that they'll have more than one rider capable of winning the race.
elfed68
Junior Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

18 Apr 2014 15:15

elfed68 wrote:Surely Team Sky need a good plan b with Contador riding so well?
I doubt Wiggins could get motivated to ride for Froome, which I don't blame him, hopefully he'll be offered a free role in the Tour.

As for Wiggins the classics man(cycle racing not literature:p), Team Sky look very promising, with their squad having Thomas, Stannard, Swift and EBH(if he's still there). A bit like OPQS in that they'll have more than one rider capable of winning the race.


Wiggins have just finished Roubaix, there are not many riders that are doing both Roubaix and Giro in the same year. That's the first thing. Second of all even if Wiggins didint put much weight to ride on cobbles he's for sure far from his climbing form that was last seen a year ago in Giro (Tour of Britain is something else). So there is no chance he will ride for a win and very small chance he will ride at all.
User avatar Wallenquist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 11:24
Location: Poland

18 Apr 2014 15:16

elfed68 wrote:Doesn't everybody underestimate this guy's abilities?

He's always saying different things to the press, for all we know his programme for the year could be different to what we think?

I know I come across as a Wiggins fanboy, which I admit I am, he's one of the sport's individuals which in this day and age are quite rare, guess every sport's got one.


He is overestimated and overhyped by the media and by his own team, failing to deliver since 2012. What do you expect? And when you consider that in the 2012 Tour Froome was stronger you have the underestimation picture complete. On the other hand PR was the race in quite a while since he showed that he can still put up a fight regardless of his abilities. Maybe he can become a classics rider with a limited success but my take is that his GT days are over and I don't think he'll be a domestique.
User avatar Rollthedice
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,818
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

18 Apr 2014 15:26

Wallenquist wrote:Wiggins have just finished Roubaix, there are not many riders that are doing both Roubaix and Giro in the same year. That's the first thing. Second of all even if Wiggins didint put much weight to ride on cobbles he's for sure far from his climbing form that was last seen a year ago in Giro (Tour of Britain is something else). So there is no chance he will ride for a win and very small chance he will ride at all.


Such a shame as I can't see the non cycling public rooting for Chris Froome as they would Wiggins, and as I said earlier a PR fail for Team Sky.
elfed68
Junior Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

18 Apr 2014 16:33

Rollthedice wrote:He is overestimated and overhyped by the media and by his own team, failing to deliver since 2012. What do you expect? And when you consider that in the 2012 Tour Froome was stronger you have the underestimation picture complete. On the other hand PR was the race in quite a while since he showed that he can still put up a fight regardless of his abilities. Maybe he can become a classics rider with a limited success but my take is that his GT days are over and I don't think he'll be a domestique.


If Wiggins is overestimated what do you call Andy Schleck ? Froome was stronger in the mountains in 2012 Tour on some stages but it was no certainty he would have won the race. The route was a good one for Wiggins. Wiggins is not targeting GTs at the moment so why do people keep bringing it up ? He has admitted that all year.

Cadel Evans has not done much either since his 2011 Tour win and his third in last year's Giro. He probably could have ridden the Ardenne classics instead and maybe the shorter stage races but BMC has Gilbert and Evans has always seen himself at a GT rider.

Schleck has done absolutely nothing since coming second to Evans in the 2011 Tour. Wiggins should be able to pick his program and if he wants to ride classics and the track one last time so be it. He always said he was not sure whether he could make the sacrifices he did to win the 2012 Tour all over again. His Giro was a failure and he has since moved on.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,490
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

18 Apr 2014 16:36

movingtarget wrote:If Wiggins is overestimated what do you call Andy Schleck ? Froome was stronger in the mountains in 2012 Tour on some stages but it was no certainty he would have won the race. The route was a good one for Wiggins. Wiggins is not targeting GTs at the moment so why do people keep bringing it up ? He has admitted that all year.

Cadel Evans has not done much either since his 2011 Tour win and his third in last year's Giro. He probably could have ridden the Ardenne classics instead and maybe the shorter stage races but BMC has Gilbert and Evans has always seen himself at a GT rider.

Schleck has done absolutely nothing since coming second to Evans in the 2011 Tour. Wiggins should be able to pick his program and if he wants to ride classics and the track one last time so be it. He always said he was not sure whether he could make the sacrifices he did to win the 2012 Tour all over again. His Giro was a failure and he has since moved on.


Wiggins is overestimated. Shleck is OOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRestimated. :D
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes - Rom 1:16"
____________________________________________
Skyline Drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
User avatar Jspear
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,624
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

18 Apr 2014 17:04

Wiggins could still outclimb most gc riders easy. His problem isn't that he magically lost climbing form overnight. Its that he got pushed out of leadership on the team he was was getting all the right, errr "training" and handwashing techniques, on.

He showed this when last year he tried to desperately steal the TDF leadership from Froome.

If he had really given up on the TDF like his blindest fans claim to save face, he wouldn't have done that. He still managed to ouclimb Scarponi on the first mtf, while half arsed and having done little pre training.

Put him on the full sky TDF programme (that is err, "racing programe") and he'll be flying away from Nibali again like before.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,756
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

18 Apr 2014 17:26

movingtarget wrote:If Wiggins is overestimated what do you call Andy Schleck ? Froome was stronger in the mountains in 2012 Tour on some stages but it was no certainty he would have won the race. The route was a good one for Wiggins. Wiggins is not targeting GTs at the moment so why do people keep bringing it up ? He has admitted that all year.

Cadel Evans has not done much either since his 2011 Tour win and his third in last year's Giro. He probably could have ridden the Ardenne classics instead and maybe the shorter stage races but BMC has Gilbert and Evans has always seen himself at a GT rider.

Schleck has done absolutely nothing since coming second to Evans in the 2011 Tour. Wiggins should be able to pick his program and if he wants to ride classics and the track one last time so be it. He always said he was not sure whether he could make the sacrifices he did to win the 2012 Tour all over again. His Giro was a failure and he has since moved on.


I didn't mention Andy because this is not an Andy thread. I think it's getting clearer by the day that Andy is on his way out unless some magic happens. But Wiggins is still overhyped for a guy who is just starting his one-day races career and he's way down on a Sky list with potential winners in these kinds of races.
User avatar Rollthedice
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,818
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

18 Apr 2014 18:45

Im actually starting to like the fact that sky has been dominating the tour for the past two years.:D
Now good cycling channels such as GCN cycling and incycle are producing high quality videos which are pretty interesting and furthermore they are in english!
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,196
Joined: 27 May 2010 16:52

18 Apr 2014 18:48

dlwssonic wrote:Im actually starting to like the fact that sky has been dominating the tour for the past two years.:D
Now good cycling channels such as GCN cycling and incycle are producing high quality videos which are pretty interesting and furthermore they are in english!


Armstrong had a similar effect in the states. Got the SF Grand Prix a ton more attention than it would have otherwise, much more TV time, etc.

Lots of bike shops sold a lot more Treks (bad in that you can hardly find a decent maker with the Trek overload) and the Armstrong era pretty much put mountain biking on the back burner in the US.

I'm no Armstrong fan, but some good was done for sure. Along with a lot of bad.
User avatar red_flanders
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,977
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 06:45

18 Apr 2014 18:50

red_flanders wrote:Armstrong had a similar effect in the states. Got the SF Grand Prix a ton more attention than it would have otherwise, much more TV time, etc.

Lots of bike shops sold a lot more Treks (bad in that you can hardly find a decent maker with the Trek overload) and the Armstrong era pretty much put mountain biking on the back burner in the US.

I'm no Armstrong fan, but some good was done for sure. Along with a lot of bad.


Yeah for sure he certainly made cycling and the tour much more well known in my region which hardly knows anything about pro cycling other than langkawi:D
Lots of the spectacles shops had oakley posters of armstrong but nowadays they have all been replaced by posters of cavendish and lemond:D
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,196
Joined: 27 May 2010 16:52

18 Apr 2014 19:38

Rollthedice wrote:He is overestimated and overhyped by the media and by his own team, failing to deliver since 2012. What do you expect? And when you consider that in the 2012 Tour Froome was stronger you have the underestimation picture complete. On the other hand PR was the race in quite a while since he showed that he can still put up a fight regardless of his abilities. Maybe he can become a classics rider with a limited success but my take is that his GT days are over and I don't think he'll be a domestique.


Runner up in World TT (Martin has that in the bag for years to come) and winner of Tour of Britain, albeit clinched on the TT. Not a totally disastrous 2013. If he'd done more stage races with ITTs in them, he may have fared better, but he avoided them.
argyllflyer
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,035
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kazistuta, KGB and 6 guests

Back to top