Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 Apr 2014 19:44

movingtarget wrote:If Wiggins is overestimated what do you call Andy Schleck ? Froome was stronger in the mountains in 2012 Tour on some stages but it was no certainty he would have won the race. The route was a good one for Wiggins.

A hefty chunk of Froome's time loss came after his puncture on stage 1. Take that out and it's only a 1m56s deficit which *could* have been doable. At least two stages, if riding for himself, would have seen Wiggo lost.
argyllflyer

19 Apr 2014 00:19

2 minutes, where ?! Peyragudes stage, Wiggins had to chase down Nibali on Peyresourde so tops 15 seconds on the short final kick. Touissuire...same thing, Froome was shot before he surged...possibly because he had pulled, 30 seconds? Anyway if he wanted to turn the tables it was in the first ITT, not in these stages where it looked totally unprofessional, and he couldn't do it.
webvan

19 Apr 2014 04:16

Aren't we over yet with the FroomeDog vs Knight debate?
Sir Wiggo CBE won the Tour, get the **** over it. It's done. He was the best cause he won. Ifs, buts don't matter a ****.
End of the story.

The guy's a British cycling legend. Have some ****ing respect FFS.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

19 Apr 2014 05:26

Pippo_San wrote:Aren't we over yet with the FroomeDog vs Knight debate?
Sir Wiggo CBE won the Tour, get the **** over it. It's done. He was the best cause he won. Ifs, buts don't matter a ****.
End of the story.

The guy's a British cycling legend. Have some ****ing respect FFS.

Lol, because knighthood is deserved by riding a bike? Respect is demanded because he's a British cycling legend? Lol. Seriously? He's a complex person , and a decent rider, but nothing to get your keyboard sticky over. Unless that's your thing. Which, granted, it seems to be.
User avatar yespatterns

19 Apr 2014 22:30

I'm nt a massive fan of Sir Bradders but he really surprised me last weekend and he has my respects for actually still being at the pointy end of the race when it hit Roubaix.

The Knighthood seems to be getting a bit of a bashing...lets be honest it wasn't just awarded for the Tour. It was awarded due to cumulative achievements and for his contribution to what made Britain tick in 2012, the changes in the country were palpable and im and the rest of the olympians that year made a big contribution to that....

I;'ll explain... I left the UK for the Falklands in early June and the place was as depressing as it always is, when i got back in September the joy of the whole country was incredible. Only people can have that effect on the morale of a country and Brad was a big part of that. Winning the Tour the week before the Olympics was exactly what was needed to get the country bouyant in terms of its morale and everything else. The honours system may be a joke...but in t=his case I think it was deserved
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

20 Apr 2014 07:44

it made (olympics and all that) changes in british society,what,im really confused:confused::D
I dont understand british people,I think in most countries it wouldnt make no difference:eek:
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

23 Apr 2014 19:59

Anyone know what role Bradley Wiggins is doing in the Trentino?

Is he riding for someone else for support in other races or as leader and fallen off the pace?
elfed68

23 Apr 2014 20:06

Gloin22 wrote:He's not a climber anymore... His GC days are over .His goal is gaining weight for Track in rio and Roubaix ( and he achieved that however that goal is still obviously going )

10characters.

Anyway, he's just here to ride, for the craic I guess.
Gloin22

23 Apr 2014 20:09

I watched the delayed coverage on Rai Sports 2 (why don't they just do it live ?!) and it was really bizarre as Wiggo was setting a high tempo on the last climb...so high that he rode everyone off his wheel at maybe 3k to go and then signaled for the others to pass him and then dropped off the pace!
webvan

23 Apr 2014 20:59

webvan wrote:I watched the delayed coverage on Rai Sports 2 (why don't they just do it live ?!) and it was really bizarre as Wiggo was setting a high tempo on the last climb...so high that he rode everyone off his wheel at maybe 3k to go and then signaled for the others to pass him and then dropped off the pace!

Practice for when he has Froome to finish everyone off after. Sadly he had no one to ride for today.
User avatar CycloAndy

23 Apr 2014 21:03

webvan wrote:I watched the delayed coverage on Rai Sports 2 (why don't they just do it live ?!) and it was really bizarre as Wiggo was setting a high tempo on the last climb...so high that he rode everyone off his wheel at maybe 3k to go and then signaled for the others to pass him and then dropped off the pace!

Apparently he was working for Cataldo and Siutsou. http://cyclingquotes.com/news/wiggins_shows_flashes_of_climbing_form_in_trentino/
User avatar Skibby the bush kangaroo

23 Apr 2014 21:12

Thanks, that explains it. Cioni implies that he led the pack until 1K to go (7-6)? Doesn't sound quite right, I'd say about 3km. Regardless, he seemed to be going so well that it was surprising to see him stop all of a sudden.
webvan

23 Apr 2014 21:26

Gloin22 wrote:10characters.

Anyway, he's just here to ride, for the craic I guess.

I hope that's not the case, be nice to see him get some results this season as Chris Froome is just too clean cut and corporate to get the emotions stirring, unlike controversial love him or hate him Wiggins :cool:
elfed68

24 Apr 2014 07:51

:eek: Bradley's going to be dropping everyone but Froome and Bertie by the time July comes round.
phanatic

24 Apr 2014 07:58

phanatic wrote::eek: Bradley's going to be dropping everyone but Froome and Bertie by the time July comes round.

No, let's have a re run of the Hinault LeMond showdown, where Froome can't live with Bradley and Contador's form has dipped!
elfed68

24 Apr 2014 16:38

I missed this nice tweet from Gerard Vroomen

Gerard Vroomen @gerardvroomen
OK, so Wiggins didn't win it, but did he ever show the naysayers. I'll take a second hat off to him

Gerard Vroomen
‏@gerardvroomen Hats off to Wiggins for going for it at Roubaix, most exciting pro cycling news this year. Can he win? Why not. Or good prep for next year
pastronef

24 Apr 2014 19:15

I think Wiggins has been taking the criticism on here to heart so has decided assaults on Paris-Roubaix and riding everyone off his wheel is the only way to gain respect. Credit to him. Shame he's so unlikeable in every other sense though!
User avatar CycloAndy

24 Apr 2014 19:36

CycloAndy wrote:I think Wiggins has been taking the criticism on here to heart so has decided assaults on Paris-Roubaix and riding everyone off his wheel is the only way to gain respect. Credit to him. Shame he's so unlikeable in every other sense though!

Oooooh, so harsh :)
elfed68

24 Apr 2014 19:41

Wiggins 49th @ 3.17 in today's stage. Probably taking it easier after giving it a bit of stick yesterday. Does anyone know how he looked or rode today at Trentino ?
Cookster15

24 Apr 2014 20:02

Cookster15 wrote:Wiggins 49th @ 3.17 in today's stage. Probably taking it easier after giving it a bit of stick yesterday. Does anyone know how he looked or rode today at Trentino ?

It's very strange this race isn't getting any TV coverage.
elfed68

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing