Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 May 2014 18:44

Froome should be mature enough to not only handle Sir Wiggo's inclusion, but also use his presence strategically at the Tour.

As a minimum Wiggo will drive Sky's train on the mid part of the last mountain(s) with such a pace very few will be left for Froome to worry about.

I prefer Stannard as the main cobbles leader as he has more physical presence at the front and can move a couple of smaller guys out of the way if needed. Wiggo could sit just behind Froome and help in case of mechanical problems. Thomas will be the backup plan.

And Wiggo could still end in top 10 in this field.

And then there is the PR upside.
Dazed and Confused

06 May 2014 18:54

jsem94 wrote:Wiggins getting yellow somehow after the cobbles would be hilarious.

Imagine there being a big crash behind him with lots of GC riders down. Only Wiggo and a small select group of other 2nd tier cobbled riders are in front, powering on.

LOL, I can't contain myself. :D:D:D

I reckon the SKY management should be quite happy with that. Something else for the other teams to have to deal with. Froome can just follow the wheels.
cobbledclassic

06 May 2014 21:18

I'd love it, love it if Wiggo tore The Tour apart to set Froome up :)
postmanhat

07 May 2014 17:31

Non Grimpeur wrote:Sky tour team: Froome, Porte, Thomas, Nieve, Lopez,Stannard, Kennaugh, Kiryenka, Wiggins.

I think this squad is pretty spot on, only place that is questionable is Kennaugh's as he has shown no form and he doesn't have as much natural talent as the others to get it back in time for the Tour.
User avatar b.broadhurst

07 May 2014 22:03

b.broadhurst wrote:I think this squad is pretty spot on, only place that is questionable is Kennaugh's as he has shown no form and he doesn't have as much natural talent as the others to get it back in time for the Tour.

No EBH; i reckon that says a lot
williamp78

07 May 2014 22:07

b.broadhurst wrote:I think this squad is pretty spot on, only place that is questionable is Kennaugh's as he has shown no form and he doesn't have as much natural talent as the others to get it back in time for the Tour.

Kennaugh lacks natural talent :confused:

As far as the road goes, he was probably the most promising young male talent British Cycling has had.
William H

07 May 2014 22:11

William H wrote:Kennaugh lacks natural talent :confused:

As far as the road goes, he was probably the most promising young male talent British Cycling has had.

About 4 maybe 5 years ago Wiggins said he would be the first brit to win le tour. Plenty of natural talent and seems to be developing well. Though sickness has knocked him back
williamp78

07 May 2014 22:48

Kennaugh has done ok this year and did a good job winning Coppi e Bartoli. I'm sure he has time to get back to form. Interesting that Porte and Froome have been up in the high mountains training for the Tour.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

08 May 2014 00:59

Non Grimpeur wrote:Wiggins is more than worth a place as things stand. But does Froome want him there? I think Froome will want Wiggins there as a last resort, PR issues aside.

I think Wiggins could be one of the big surprises of this year's TDF. If he loses a few kilos then a time trial win and top 10 finish is possible. He is still a very good rider and if his head is in gear is capable of doing a good ride. He could actually end up being Froome's key helper.

People should be asking whether the likes of Porte are worth a place in the Tour line up because on current form he is nowhere near good enough. Froome needs him too.

Sky tour team: Froome, Porte, Thomas, Nieve, Lopez,Stannard, Kennaugh, Kiryenka, Wiggins.

Knees isn't riding the Giro so I imagine he has a chance of making the Tour team.

I doubt they'll select any of their Giro riders given how hard the final week is. Boswell, Dombrowski, Edmondson, Earle and Rowe aren't going to be selected for the Tour. Other non-Giro options are Pate, Zandio and of course the altitude native if he can be cleared to race in time.
JRanton

08 May 2014 07:51

You mean get it back exactly like he did last year?
Grupetto1

08 May 2014 12:21

JRanton wrote:Knees isn't riding the Giro so I imagine he has a chance of making the Tour team.

I doubt they'll select any of their Giro riders given how hard the final week is. Boswell, Dombrowski, Edmondson, Earle and Rowe aren't going to be selected for the Tour. Other non-Giro options are Pate, Zandio and of course the altitude native if he can be cleared to race in time.

Isn't Henao clear to race anytime he wants? I thought he wasn't under any kind of official suspension or investigation, it's simply a team sky internal investigation?
RownhamHill

10 May 2014 15:28

Kinda interesting....Wiggins is saying his weight right now is the same as when he won the Tour....I thought he wasn't going to be slimming down that much anymore....whatever the case, best of luck to him in Cali. Looks like he'll be tough to beat there. Also if he really is in good form, it's a no brainer for him to support Froomie at the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-fit-lean-and-ready-to-contend-at-tour-of-california
Vino attacks everyone wrote:I have come to realise that I actually want AC to win this tour as much as I want Niali to win, cause I want to have experienced someone doing the double :eek:
User avatar Jspear

10 May 2014 15:34

Jspear wrote:Kinda interesting....Wiggins is saying his weight right now is the same as when he won the Tour....I thought he wasn't going to be slimming down that much anymore....whatever the case, best of luck to him in Cali. Looks like he'll be tough to beat there. Also if he really is in good form, it's a no brainer for him to support Froomie at the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-fit-lean-and-ready-to-contend-at-tour-of-california

Very interesting, looks like he's got his mojo back.

Co leader for the Tour, or secret plan B? Or just a domestique if Froome begrudgingly allows him on the team, although James Murdoch might have some input as well.
elfed68

10 May 2014 16:47

i still think he's not at the same weight and power ratio as in the tour. but he definitely not a lot of extra kilos, very fit and motivated. he should smoke this race and if he will improve, without a shadow a doubt,he should co-lead the team in le tour de france. after the cobbles, things can change
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

10 May 2014 21:15

Sky will need Wiggo at the Tour because Froome Dawg may get sick from rooming with Porte.
senatorrick

10 May 2014 22:17

Jspear wrote:Kinda interesting....Wiggins is saying his weight right now is the same as when he won the Tour....I thought he wasn't going to be slimming down that much anymore....whatever the case, best of luck to him in Cali. Looks like he'll be tough to beat there. Also if he really is in good form, it's a no brainer for him to support Froomie at the Tour.

My limited theory is this - he left a race for "mountain training", if memory serves, when Porte started having real 'problems' and Henao was pulled - hunch is Master Wiggins may have internally been re-elevated back up to plan B because of Porte/Henao/Kannaugh problems, especially with a long final TT.

Utter hunch, mind.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

10 May 2014 22:21

William H wrote:Kennaugh lacks natural talent :confused:

Have to agree with this. before SuperWiggo arrived in 09, and SuperFroomie in '11 I think they were considering building around a five year plan towards Kennaugh who was at that stage, the best potential climber they had, while supporting Cav in the meantime. Though the arrival of the Yates twins, esp Adam may have changed that future-dynamic for BC, though not Sky.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

11 May 2014 07:58

...which makes perfect sense and where he should have stayed in 2013. Actually he should have gone into the 2013 TDF as plan A/B with the road deciding, like LVC did in 1986 and Telekom did in 1997. No wonder he couldn't keep his head together last year after being discarded like a "you had your fun now move on to lesser races". Very disrespectful to him and to the "yellow jersey" really...
webvan

11 May 2014 08:04

The problem is your forgetting a certain someone called Chris Froome, I admire the comeback he has made after a horrible year last year but he can't hold a candle to Froome in the mountains, that isn't being disrespectful to Wiggo because very few can compete with Froome when the altitude starts rising. Maybe Contador this year perhaps we will see.

wiggins will be a worthy plan B with Sky having so many problems, he could well gain time on the cobbled stage and the long iTT but will lose time to the big 2 in the mountains. I'm looking forward to Brad showing what he can do in California this week.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing