Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

13 May 2014 15:53

Porte was dropped on every MTF apart from Ad'H. Froome lost no time to Wiggins in the mountains in 2012.

There's no doubt that Wiggins needed/took more help in 2012 than Froome in 2013.
simoni

13 May 2014 16:04

Yeah but how many KMs did Porte pull for Froome last year? In 2012 I'd be surprised if Froome spent more than 10km doing actual work for Wiggo...granted the team was stronger with Porte, Rogers and even EBH.
webvan

13 May 2014 16:21

I seem to recall Froome being behind Porte a lot more that Wiggins behind Froome 2012.
Porte did a lot of work that tour as the team weren't as strong as 2012, with a couple dropped out as well.
elfed68

13 May 2014 16:38

Bavarianrider wrote:So what's his plan for July?:confused
a) loyal helper to Froome
b) Gc ambitions :eek:
c) Stage hunting

If he wins Cali this week he'll do a TJVG 2013 :p
icefire

13 May 2014 17:37

Hilarious seeing people furiously trying to prove that Froome will beat Wiggins in the TDF.

Chapeau to him for even allowing the terminally paranoid to think it worthy of proof.
Waterloo Sunrise

13 May 2014 19:32

Is Wiggins officially in the Sky team for TdF?
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

13 May 2014 19:57

Michele wrote:Is Wiggins officially in the Sky team for TdF?

Nobody is officially in the Tour team until Sky release it a couple of weeks before, I would say has an excellent chance though.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 May 2014 03:22

Michele wrote:Is Wiggins officially in the Sky team for TdF?
He put in his application for domestique duty yesterday.
"After studying my own case, I know the possibility of eating meat contaminated with Clenbuterol is very small but it is possible because farmers always want to boost animal growth." ~Alessandro Colò
User avatar goggalor

14 May 2014 04:57

simoni wrote:Porte was dropped on every MTF apart from Ad'H. Froome lost no time to Wiggins in the mountains in 2012.

There's no doubt that Wiggins needed/took more help in 2012 than Froome in 2013.

I'm pretty sure Porte's role was to sacrifice himself on those stages and he rode superbly on Ventoux (trimmed it down to Contador, Froome and him) and Domaines where he came 2nd.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

14 May 2014 05:43

simoni wrote:Even if Wiggins is in 2012 form the chances are that Froome will be able to outclimb him anyway and will have the freedom to do so.

Its not impossible that Wiggins will be ahead of Froome at some point but unlikely he'll take yellow before the mountains. Likely he'll be used as insurance and allowed to do his own thing on the cobbled stage while the likes of Thomas/Stannard look after Froome if he falters.

Chances are though that Wiggins will do a job for Froome in the mountains and ship a couple of minutes at least on each MTF and try and come up with something in the final TT.

That's certainly the most likely outcome. I don't see Wiggins remaining in contention for the win after the first mountain top finish on PDBF. Basically he needs Froome to crash/get sick etc in the first week, be climbing as well as he was in 2012 and have a very strong team (which in this scenario would obviously be minus Froome). Even with all those things falling in to place he'd still be beaten pretty comfortably by Contador.
JRanton

14 May 2014 08:29

does anyone seriously think wiggins was ever not gonna be selected for le tour when it starts in britain and he is the most famous british rider?
willbick

14 May 2014 08:44

Just watched ToC stage to Mt. Diablo.

Wiggo is back. And he is his own train now.
:eek:
User avatar personal

14 May 2014 08:56

If I was Wiggins, I'd be a ridiculously loyal domestique. I'd cement my form, be Froome's last man in the mountains, and I'd pull 100% to the top of every MTF. That way I get to the top as fast as possible, blunt all the attacks by more explosive climbers and minimise any losses. If Wiggins form is good enough doing this he may be within sight come the final TT. If he doesn't he has to match Valverde, Contador etc in the mountains and earns the ire of the team.
karlboss

14 May 2014 08:57

willbick wrote:does anyone seriously think wiggins was ever not gonna be selected for le tour when it starts in britain and he is the most famous british rider?

Based on his form last year, he wouldn't merit a spot, particularly given his hostilities with Froome. This year, with his motivation back, his form would merit a place as a domestique (not a leader) and the Yorkshire start outweighs the risk of Wiggins going AWOL when Froome needs him.
User avatar CycloAndy

14 May 2014 09:22

The way he rode op that mountain was incredible, such composure and looked like he was on a Sunday run, just imagine how it would have been if he had a strong Sky rider to pace him a bit further up and really kill the others off.
Unfortunately Rohan Dennis kept up and gained seconds.
elfed68

14 May 2014 10:55

His current form must be potential problem for Froome.
User avatar personal

14 May 2014 11:04

Are you kidding me?

Froome destroyed the opposition uphill in Romandie, and won the final time trial, beating Tony frikking Martin.

Wiggins beat a mediocre field in the ITT (albeit with an impressive gap to Rohan Dennis), and then struggles to 9th place on a semi-hard mountain.

That's not a problem for Froome, that only strengthens Froome's case to lead the TDF again
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

14 May 2014 11:08

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Are you kidding me?

Froome destroyed the opposition uphill in Romandie, and won the final time trial, beating Tony frikking Martin.

Wiggins beat a mediocre field in the ITT (albeit with an impressive gap to Rohan Dennis), and then struggles to 9th place on a semi-hard mountain.

That's not a problem for Froome, that only strengthens Froome's case to lead the TDF again

I agree he won't be a threat to Froome, although he hardly struggled yesterday did he? Nearly 10k at the front while others got a free ride. Closed down 2 attacks himself too, he will be a very useful weapon for Froome.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 May 2014 11:19

karlboss wrote:If I was Wiggins, I'd be a ridiculously loyal domestique. I'd cement my form, be Froome's last man in the mountains, and I'd pull 100% to the top of every MTF. That way I get to the top as fast as possible, blunt all the attacks by more explosive climbers and minimise any losses. If Wiggins form is good enough doing this he may be within sight come the final TT. If he doesn't he has to match Valverde, Contador etc in the mountains and earns the ire of the team.

quoted for truth
Winterfold

14 May 2014 11:39

personal wrote:His current form must be potential problem for Froome.

No it shouldn't be. As mentioned often earlier, this performance is against riders that would be cannonfodder for the elite climbers in the peloton. Impressive would've been Wiggins riding them all off of his wheel and soloing to the mtf victory. It didn't happen.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing