Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 May 2014 11:47

Angliru wrote:No it shouldn't be. As mentioned often earlier, this performance is against riders that would be cannonfodder for the elite climbers in the peloton. Impressive would've been Wiggins riding them all off of his wheel and soloing to the mtf victory. It didn't happen.

We don't know what would have happened if he'd have had a stronger train ahead of him, he solo rode for a long way and longer than we've seen in a race by any GC contender for quite some time.
elfed68

14 May 2014 13:12

Despite Wiggo's latest showing, I don't think anything will change in Sky's approach to the Tour.
They only can be encouraged after the problems they've had earlier in the season, and look forward to the Tour knowing they have enough tactical options to make the race harder to opponents.
Wiggins should definitely ride the Tour with the GC in his mind.
User avatar sir fly

14 May 2014 14:38

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Are you kidding me?

Froome destroyed the opposition uphill in Romandie, and won the final time trial, beating Tony frikking Martin.

Wiggins beat a mediocre field in the ITT (albeit with an impressive gap to Rohan Dennis), and then struggles to 9th place on a semi-hard mountain.

That's not a problem for Froome, that only strengthens Froome's case to lead the TDF again

This !!!!!!!!!!!
arvc40

14 May 2014 14:42

Its Froome V Contador. Wiggins can help out before being dropped like a hot potato. End
arvc40

14 May 2014 15:10

Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey? One has to wonder what would've been the result had he let some other team or rider take the front and simply ridden tempo while in the pack, only increasing to respond to attacks when he saw fit. It seems to me he would have had more left to possibly win the stage and pad his lead over his rivals. As a result of his epic 10 km dragging of the peloton he lost time to some and didn't win the stage. Maybe winning the ITT, the leader's jersey and still retaining it after Mt. Diablo was good enough. It seemed to me to be more of a training exercise to display his ability to act as lieutenant to Froome on the mountains in the Tour.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

14 May 2014 15:46

Angliru wrote:Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey?

The CN report includes a quote from Wiggo that Sky underestimated Dennis.
Wallace and Gromit

14 May 2014 16:50

sir fly wrote:Despite Wiggo's latest showing, I don't think anything will change in Sky's approach to the Tour.
They only can be encouraged after the problems they've had earlier in the season, and look forward to the Tour knowing they have enough tactical options to make the race harder to opponents.
Wiggins should definitely ride the Tour with the GC in his mind.

With Froome at the Tour I think Sky will go with Froome for the GC. He is younger, obviously more adept than Wiggins in the mountains (2012 Tour showed this best) and not a bad TT rider whereas I think Wiggins struggles when put in a domestique role.

I would love to be wrong though, love seeing Wiggins ride so well in the ToC and would rather see him as the GC contender going into the Tour than Froome.
User avatar SaxonUK

14 May 2014 17:19

Angliru wrote:Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey? One has to wonder what would've been the result had he let some other team or rider take the front and simply ridden tempo while in the pack, only increasing to respond to attacks when he saw fit. It seems to me he would have had more left to possibly win the stage and pad his lead over his rivals. As a result of his epic 10 km dragging of the peloton he lost time to some and didn't win the stage. Maybe winning the ITT, the leader's jersey and still retaining it after Mt. Diablo was good enough. It seemed to me to be more of a training exercise to display his ability to act as lieutenant to Froome on the mountains in the Tour.

He's just training. He doesn't care about the result. I don't know what other conclusion one could reach given his "tactics" yesterday.
User avatar red_flanders

14 May 2014 17:38

red_flanders wrote:He's just training. He doesn't care about the result. I don't know what other conclusion one could reach given his "tactics" yesterday.

Just training? The Wiggo arrogance of 2012 is returning? Well its good he had his "$%se" handed to him on a decent climb by young upstart Dennis using good tactics. Anyhow, In 2012 Wiggins won virtually every week long race in the lead up to the TDF. So on that basis he is not at the same level in 2014 - not yet anyway.
Cookster15

15 May 2014 03:10

The objective for him in TOC is to qualify for TDF after the Classics weight gain. He waited too long for going full gas, couldn't drop the others which the others took advantage of in the finale.
IndianCyclist

15 May 2014 03:34

Wallace and Gromit wrote:The CN report includes a quote from Wiggo that Sky underestimated Dennis.

Since we are in America i think Sky "misunderestimated" Dennis.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

15 May 2014 04:38

Pricey_sky wrote:I agree he won't be a threat to Froome, although he hardly struggled yesterday did he? Nearly 10k at the front while others got a free ride. Closed down 2 attacks himself too, he will be a very useful weapon for Froome.

It wasn't "nearly 10k at the front" unless you're rounding off 6.5 km to 10 km. I agree that he will be a useful weapon provided Froome doesn't exercise his influence to keep him off the squad for his own piece of mind. It is impressive though to go from battling the elite at PR to climbing with the gc contenders at week long stage race.
User avatar Angliru

15 May 2014 07:33

pastronef

15 May 2014 09:05

As most have been saying for a while.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

15 May 2014 09:28

I myself am not a Wiggins fan, But I hope he's on the tour team because it will make the race more interesting! I also feel that sky wants him there if he is in top form as co-leader just in case.
senatorrick

15 May 2014 11:37

The article plainly states that he is one of 15 contenders for the team. It's not a given according to the article.
User avatar Angliru

15 May 2014 11:50

Shortsighted of Sky seeing as they're up against far superior opposition this year.

Surely the other teams have worked out ways to counter Sky's usual tactics by now.

Wiggins as co leader or backup to keep them guessing as to what's going on.
elfed68

15 May 2014 12:19

elfed68 wrote:Shortsighted of Sky seeing as they're up against far superior opposition this year.

Surely the other teams have worked out ways to counter Sky's usual tactics by now.

Wiggins as co leader or backup to keep them guessing as to what's going on.

Based on their history, I don't think Froome would be too happy with Wiggins being given co-leader status for the Tour. It would be great entertainment for the fans but it would do nothing for the cohesive nature of their team, IMO.
User avatar Angliru

15 May 2014 14:34

It would be crazy to make Wiggins co-leader. He's Froome's domestique and a possible plan B (along with Porte) if Froome crashes out.
JRanton

15 May 2014 14:39

JRanton wrote:It would be crazy to make Wiggins co-leader. He's Froome's domestique and a possible plan B (along with Porte) if Froome crashes out.

Porte hasn't a hope in hell of winning the Tour, Wiggins has an outside chance.
elfed68

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing