Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

15 May 2014 23:17

Wiggins said the right thing for his own sake. Once he got selected, I don't believe he is going to empty his tank completely for Froome just in case he has a chance. Well, look back at 2012, while Froome was singing about riding for wiggins, he did try to drop him in the mountain anyway.

I think, he will make it to the team. Why? because he is former TDF winner, and the tour start in Britain. Brit's love to have their first TDF winner lines up for their home soil. It's good for SKY PR. And beside, it's not like his form is so bad. He is not super but he is not as bad as Porte so far. He'll make the team, guarantee. Anything said in the paper is just for attention and PR purposes. (create suspense, would he make it, would he not? gripping suspense!). All just pure PR. If he can make it to their classic team, he can make it to their TDF team. Especially when most of them are hampered by illness, injury and fatique.
User avatar Jelantik

15 May 2014 23:35

SaxonUK wrote:
I would love to be wrong though, love seeing Wiggins ride so well in the ToC and would rather see him as the GC contender going into the Tour than Froome.

are u crazy????? Wiggins is NO where close to Froome's level. And I'm not even a fan of either of them. Cobble stage? well, it's going to be about luck there. And ITT? sure. But the mountains? is he going to ride like the way he rides in california? Even he got his a-ssre handed by Rohan freakin' Denis. I don't even know where Rohan is sitting as compare to the climbers in the world. Top 20?

And against the roaring contador and superb valverde who have been performing all season? + throw Nibali on the mix (hoping he'll get his form pretty soon). And God knows if Purito decides to take TDF. In my eyes, Froome is the MAN for the sky.

and to be quite honest, I'm looking forward to see if Rohan freakin' Denis can rob the yellow jersey in the mountain from Wiggins, :D for pure entertainment. Just like how Nibali robbed Froome from winning 2013 TA. That would be comical. A 2012 TDF winner get his a-ssre kicked by a kid name Rohan freakin' Denis. Priceless! :D Go Rohan!
User avatar Jelantik

15 May 2014 23:41

elfed68 wrote:Shortsighted of Sky seeing as they're up against far superior opposition this year.

Surely the other teams have worked out ways to counter Sky's usual tactics by now.

Wiggins as co leader or backup to keep them guessing as to what's going on.

There's nothing to work out about Sky's "tactics". It involves having a team and leader(s) who are stronger than everyone else and hammering on the front 'till no one is left.

No one can counter this "tactic" if they're not stronger than Sky's leaders. If they are, all they have to do is sit on Sky's leader's wheel and treat him like the last domestique.

Good luck.
User avatar red_flanders

16 May 2014 09:11

Angliru wrote:Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey? One has to wonder what would've been the result had he let some other team or rider take the front and simply ridden tempo while in the pack, only increasing to respond to attacks when he saw fit. It seems to me he would have had more left to possibly win the stage and pad his lead over his rivals. As a result of his epic 10 km dragging of the peloton he lost time to some and didn't win the stage. Maybe winning the ITT, the leader's jersey and still retaining it after Mt. Diablo was good enough. It seemed to me to be more of a training exercise to display his ability to act as lieutenant to Froome on the mountains in the Tour.

It was display of power, sure, but to prove that he can be (just) domestique? Hmm...
User avatar personal

16 May 2014 10:17

personal wrote:It was display of power, sure, but to prove that he can be (just) domestique? Hmm...

I agree with you there.
elfed68

16 May 2014 10:32

Would love it if Wiggins stole the tdf from under Froome's nose.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

16 May 2014 14:48

red_flanders wrote:There's nothing to work out about Sky's "tactics". It involves having a team and leader(s) who are stronger than everyone else and hammering on the front 'till no one is left.

No one can counter this "tactic" if they're not stronger than Sky's leaders. If they are, all they have to do is sit on Sky's leader's wheel and treat him like the last domestique.

Good luck.

Yes, and this year there will be a certain Spaniard waiting behind Froome !.
arvc40

16 May 2014 14:49

Zam_Olyas wrote:Would love it if Wiggins stole the tdf from under Froome's nose.

I would love it if I won the lottery. lol
arvc40

16 May 2014 14:55

arvc40 wrote:I would love it if I won the lottery. lol

Who would you buy?
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

16 May 2014 20:53

Zam_Olyas wrote:Who would you buy?

Seeing as this is a Wiggins thread, I can't resist, although it was not what I was getting at.

Who would I buy ?. The strongest rider in the World and tell him he must not beat me. Lol. Just playing
arvc40

16 May 2014 20:56

I don't think Bradley Wiggins is for sale...
elfed68

16 May 2014 23:01

Another impressive ride form Wiggins there, I thought his jersey might be under threat but he held off Dennis quite easily in the end. Seems like he is really pushing himself this year again.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

16 May 2014 23:02

Yep, impressive, seems to be as strong as he's ever been...
webvan

16 May 2014 23:07

Starting to look a viable candidate for last man and a placing in the lower reaches of the top 10 this July - would be a great comeback all things considered.
Waterloo Sunrise

16 May 2014 23:12

Solid performance. Key man for Sky in the tour no doubt. Froome should use the situation to his advantage.
Dazed and Confused

18 May 2014 21:40

Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

18 May 2014 22:32

"Chris (Froome) wants to win his second Tour and, as the defending champion, everyone understands that, including myself," he added.

Makes sense...as it would have made sense for the 2012 TDF defending champion to at the very least be entitled to be part of the team...but Michelle Cound informed the world via her "Wiggins on the TDF team...I don't think so" Twitter early in 2013 that this would not happen. Oh well...water under the bridge I suppose. It's also unlikely that Wiggins would be indulging in the Froome 2012 showboating (Toussuire and Peyragudes) even if he were able to. On the other hand if Froome finds himself in a "spot of bother" DB and the gang would only be too happy to have a plan B handy.
webvan

18 May 2014 22:39

We're still not 100% sure of Froome's form this season, there might still be some surprises to come.

Wiggo for yellow!
elfed68

18 May 2014 22:42

elfed68 wrote:We're still not 100% sure of Froome's form this season, there might still be some surprises to come.

Wiggo for yellow!

Did you not watch Romandie? Compare What Wiggins did in California to what Froome did in Romandie, then come back and tell me if you still think Wiggins has the slightest chance against Froome.
User avatar Afrank

18 May 2014 22:48

Afrank wrote:Did you not watch Romandie? Compare What Wiggins did in California to what Froome did in Romandie, then come back and tell me if you still think Wiggins has the slightest chance against Froome.

Just look at the Giro with Purito and Dan Martin crashed out, makes sense to have a strong plan b.
elfed68

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing