Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 May 2014 23:00

Don't disagree with that. But as we saw in Romandie, there's nothing wrong with Froomes form this year.

Only scenario where they would have to go to Wiggins as a plan B is if Froome crashes out or has problems on the cobbles or somewhere else and loses like 10 minutes (yes, it would have to be at least 10 minutes to Wiggo, anything less Froome will easily make back up. :cool: :p)
User avatar Afrank

18 May 2014 23:03

Afrank wrote:Don't disagree with that. But as we saw in Romandie, there's nothing wrong with Froomes form this year.

Only scenario where they would have to go to Wiggins as a plan B is if Froome crashes out or has problems on the cobbles or somewhere else and loses like 10 minutes (yes, it would have to be at least 10 minutes to Wiggo, anything less Froome will easily make back up. :cool: :p)

I doubt he'd have ten minutes on Wiggins.
elfed68

19 May 2014 00:01

If 2012 Wiggins turned up to the 2013 Tour, failing misfortune and team orders, I think he'd have fought for the podium, definitely top 5. He looks good this year, not as good as 2012, but building.
I'd take him to the Tour for sure, even if he works in his own self interest, fast steady climbing, he'll be useful. I mean he's only a threat if he attacks, and I can't recall a single one. I'd even give him and Porte the freedom in most situations not to have to wait if Froome crashes/punctures.
Froome is number 1, but number 2 is murky atm.
karlboss

19 May 2014 00:26

The King of Kilburn is still a bigger star in the UK than
the Froome Dog Millionaire, he also speaks French and
is known for being much more 'quotable'....so if Wiggo
can take a bit (or a lot) of the media pressure off
Froomey, he could be a big asset for the team in their
quest for a third consecutive Tour de France victory.
We should ride our bikes at least 20 kilometres every day,
unless we are too busy...then we should ride at least forty.
User avatar oldcrank

19 May 2014 06:57

Where would Wiggins sit in the train? Would he be Froome's last man or is that still likely to be Porte (I'm assuming of course that all three have form and health going into the Tour).
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

19 May 2014 07:26

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Where would Wiggins sit in the train? Would he be Froome's last man or is that still likely to be Porte (I'm assuming of course that all three have form and health going into the Tour).

Thomas, Kennaugh/Kiri, Wiggins, Nieve, Porte, Froome would be my choice.

This of course could change as Wiggins has shown much more than Porte and Nieve so far.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

19 May 2014 12:01

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Where would Wiggins sit in the train? Would he be Froome's last man or is that still likely to be Porte (I'm assuming of course that all three have form and health going into the Tour).

i think purely to have that second GC option they should start out with Porte-Wiggo-Froome and see how it goes, from there. Porte in himself could also become a second GC option, but the respect a former tour winner commands could be crucial for Froome to have at his side in the GC.

Edit: since the first tough finishing climb is La Planche des Belles Filles, SKY might want to make it Nieve as the last man before Froome for that one.
Peter von

19 May 2014 12:21

Will Wiggins and Froome be roommates at the Tour as they are the two previous winners on the squad?
User avatar wirral

19 May 2014 12:27

wirral wrote:Will Wiggins and Froome be roommates at the Tour as they are the two previous winners on the squad?

No, Froome and Porte always room together
User avatar b.broadhurst

19 May 2014 12:30

I think the first 8 places on the Tour team picks itself now:

Froome Wiggins Porte Nieve Lopez Thomas Kiryienka Stannard

and there is 1 place left for the following:

Kennaugh
Knees
EBH
Eisel
Sivtsov
User avatar b.broadhurst

19 May 2014 15:09

b.broadhurst wrote:I think the first 8 places on the Tour team picks itself now:

Froome Wiggins Porte Nieve Lopez Thomas Kiryienka Stannard

and there is 1 place left for the following:

Kennaugh
Knees
EBH
Eisel
Sivtsov

My take...

Definites - Froome
Almost definites - Thomas, Stannard, Nieve,
Probables - Wiggins
Maybes - Kiriyenka, Lopez, Kennaugh, Knees, Henao
Unlikelies - EBH, Eisel, Sivtsov
No Hopers - The other guys
King Of The Wolds

19 May 2014 15:12

King Of The Wolds wrote:My take...

Definites - Froome
Probables - Wiggins

No Porte? Out of form or ill maybe.
elfed68

19 May 2014 15:17

King Of The Wolds wrote:My take...

Definites - Froome
Probables - Wiggins

Definates : Froome
Probables : Porte, Wiggo, Thomas, Nieve
The rest likely from : Knees, Swift, EBH, Stannard, Kennaugh, Lopez, Kiri, Edmondson
del1962

19 May 2014 16:00

Definite: Froome, Porte, Wiggo, Thomas, Nieve, Stannard, Kiyrenka are 100% definites.

Both Froome and Wiggo love Kiyrenka and the job he do for them, can't see him missing out out too.

Last Two Spots: Knees, Kennaugh, Henao, Lopez

Kennaugh will be there unless he can't still recover. Henao signed the new contract with mind he will ride Tour, if gets cleared he will do Tour. These two will make last two spots.

If Kennaugh doesnt recover and Henao problems wont be solved, Lopez and Knees get the spot.
Gloin22

19 May 2014 17:40

Has anybody heard any news about Stannard?

Am assuming if he can't make the Dauphine or Rundfahrt team, then he won't be fit enough for the Tour
postmanhat

19 May 2014 19:14

You mean Bayern?

Not listed per the 18.05 version

http://www.bayern-rundfahrt.com/index.php/startliste/startliste

Very good start list, btw, almost makes me wish for TV coverage.
User avatar roundabout

19 May 2014 19:59

roundabout wrote:You mean Bayern?

Not listed per the 18.05 version

http://www.bayern-rundfahrt.com/index.php/startliste/startliste

Very good start list, btw, almost makes me wish for TV coverage.

Great start list. Better than a a few that have been on Eurosport this year. Would have been a good one for Stannard :(
postmanhat

20 May 2014 10:06

The Sky team I would pick as of this moment would be Froome, Porte, Wiggins, Nieve, Kiri, Kennaugh, Thomas, Stannard and Lopez.

If Henao can get himself ready then he would take Lopez' spot.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

20 May 2014 12:35

Afrank wrote:Did you not watch Romandie? Compare What Wiggins did in California to what Froome did in Romandie, then come back and tell me if you still think Wiggins has the slightest chance against Froome.

Probably not. We all know that.

But I for one do certainly hope that SKY will not use Wiggins as a domestique during the first 2 weeks. Just let him ride his own race and maybe use him to make others chase if necessary later on. Two cards is better than one. And if he is within striking distance after stage 19 he could very well end up on the podium. I can't find a profile for the TT but if it's pancake flat I can see Wiggins making up 3+ minutes on all GC riders save Froome.
User avatar Walkman

24 May 2014 12:18

Just read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2637642/CHRIS-FROOME-EXCLUSIVE-Who-needs-drugs-I-mountains-fuelled-espresso.html

Just look at this.

Even so, Wiggins did suggest Froome had betrayed him at the time. In particular on that mountain stage when Froome rode away from his team leader with what appeared to be a show of strength, only to be ordered back by the team management. In his own book, then directeur sportif Sean Yates said Wiggins was so shaken by the episode, he considered quitting the race that night.

I can't believe it. He must be such a p*ssy. Quitting the race?! OMG, that's so insane, talk about a guy who is pathetic.
User avatar Walkman

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing