Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

31 May 2014 21:37

Non Grimpeur wrote:It's a pity OGE can't take him this year. I have just watched this interview with Chris Froome and my guess is that Wiggins will not be in the Sky lineup for this year's Tour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27648845

We'll find out in the next few days who's in Sky's Dauphine team. If Wiggins isn't in it I think there's no chance for him starting the Tour.

Wiggins is riding Dauphine as it stands :confused:
qwerty16

31 May 2014 23:37

qwerty16 wrote:Wiggins is riding Dauphine as it stands :confused:

How do you know this, source?
elfed68

31 May 2014 23:50

elfed68 wrote:All this leaves a very sour taste in my mouth, Wiggins deserves a place, and by the looks of it he's not getting it.

Pretty crap, who's running this team!

Froome.[color="White"]...........[/color]
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

31 May 2014 23:52

Afrank wrote:Froome.[color="White"]...........[/color]

No, The Hound!
elfed68

01 Jun 2014 02:07

Non Grimpeur wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27648845

We'll find out in the next few days who's in Sky's Dauphine team. If Wiggins isn't in it I think there's no chance for him starting the Tour.

wow.. fromey is calling the shot now. I feel pitty for wiggins. I think his form is better than any of the rest of the sky team (except froome). If froome doesn't choose him to be on the team, boy the media will have a field day. And I'm sure as much as wiggins will say the right thing, I don't thing this will go down well if he isn't choosen to be part of the TDF team. I guess we'll know, the reason might be more personal rather than who has the leg. And don't tell me about the team chemistry. Sky never cares about team chemistry. If their leader stab each other, as long as, both of them has killer instinct and can deliver, that what matters.. This is going to be an interesting TDF, either way. Wiggins make the TDF team or not. I'll get ready with the popcorn..:D
User avatar Jelantik

01 Jun 2014 02:40

How is it even a question that Wiggins would be on the team? How can they possibly defend such a decision?

"We've picked our captain and we decided not to bring Sir Brad along because he might get a lead and cause havoc internally."

For the millions who don't follow cycling, will it be OK that Sir Brad is left off 2 years in a row for team politics? Absurd. But what other explanation can they offer? The convenient "injury" from last year can't fly.
User avatar red_flanders

01 Jun 2014 04:21

red_flanders wrote:How is it even a question that Wiggins would be on the team? How can they possibly defend such a decision?

"We've picked our captain and we decided not to bring Sir Brad along because he might get a lead and cause havoc internally."

For the millions who don't follow cycling, will it be OK that Sir Brad is left off 2 years in a row for team politics? Absurd. But what other explanation can they offer? The convenient "injury" from last year can't fly.

Surely he needs to go into the Tour team. If Froome is behind the decision then it may well come back to bite him. I could only see Bradley as an aid to him work wise. Forgetting any problems the 2 have had, he is not a threat to the Dawg. Used correctly he is a great rider to have on any team. Even if Brad went for a placement in GC he's still no threat to Chris in the mountains.
User avatar Bexon30

01 Jun 2014 04:22

"Never burn your bridges"
"Never leave a bad impression among colleagues"
"Always repay those who have helped you"

Simple principles that must be honored in any profession, and yet Wiggo's fans aspire to see him "chosen" on the Tour team? Froome is entitled to demand his removal if he likes, independly if Wiggo is on form
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

01 Jun 2014 04:30

hfer07 wrote:"Never burn your bridges"
"Never leave a bad impression among colleagues"
"Always repay those who have helped you"

Simple principles that must be honored in any profession, and yet Wiggo's fans aspire to see him "chosen" on the Tour team? Froome is entitled to demand his removal if he likes, independly if Wiggo is on form

Personally I'm not a fan of either, I despise team Sky. That aside how many chances should someone get to repay those that helped? Froome at times undermined Bradley didn't he? If I was DS I'd pick the best team physically the other side of it can be forgotten in a professional work environment.

There's plenty of people in professional work positions who've had previous, and don't see eye to eye but still do a professional job. That's my take on them anyway. Bradley is super strong on flats, hilly and can drive a hard pace up the mountains. He is able to last 3 weeks and is vastly experienced. I'd want THAT help.
User avatar Bexon30

01 Jun 2014 04:41

I think management will want to pick him but with reservations. If he is picked it could create a lot tension within the team. I think it's 50/50 at this point. Froome will argue that he won without him last year even though at times Sky looked weak. Porte was in super form and so far this year not sure whether he will be in the same form again in July with illness and missed races. Froome will need Porte to be at his peak. Wiggins will either leave Sky or stay at Sky but forget the GTs altogether which I think is possible. Porte seems to be the next in line for GTs but never got his chance at the Giro.
movingtarget

01 Jun 2014 05:40

Bexon30 wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of either, I despise team Sky. That aside how many chances should someone get to repay those that helped? Froome at times undermined Bradley didn't he? If I was DS I'd pick the best team physically the other side of it can be forgotten in a professional work environment.

How many chances? right at the moment when Wiggo won the Tour, thanks to him (Froome) That was the moment ;) he should have paid his share to him right away, separating all that was "evident" on the road.

Bexon30 wrote:There's plenty of people in professional work positions who've had previous, and don't see eye to eye but still do a professional job. That's my take on them anyway. Bradley is super strong on flats, hilly and can drive a hard pace up the mountains. He is able to last 3 weeks and is vastly experienced. I'd want THAT help.

is not about eye for eye- is about TRUST, which must be "earned" reciprocally, therefore Froome-being the leader-has solid reasons to chose Wiggo out of the team, regardless who "useful" can he be on the flats, pace making and so forth-there are "others" than can fulfill those duties somewhat as good as they need be ....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

01 Jun 2014 07:23

hfer07 wrote:How many chances? right at the moment when Wiggo won the Tour, thanks to him (Froome) That was the moment ;) he should have paid his share to him right away, separating all that was "evident" on the road.

is not about eye for eye- is about TRUST, which must be "earned" reciprocally, therefore Froome-being the leader-has solid reasons to chose Wiggo out of the team, regardless who "useful" can he be on the flats, pace making and so forth-there are "others" than can fulfill those duties somewhat as good as they need be ....

I'm not privy to know what's been said etc. but no 1 man should choose a team surely? It has to be management not Froome. Wiggins is no longer a threat, could top 5? Certainly top 10 it and be more useful than other riders. Also a solid fall back if there's any problems, along with RP. I don't see him as a problem. Maybe you could tell me a scenario where he would hinder SKY's GC plan?
User avatar Bexon30

01 Jun 2014 07:46

It's SKY's team. Unless Froome has a veto on team membership written into his contract, the decision will be down to Brailsford, with not insignificant input from Murdoch Junior.
From a SKY team PR point of view it would be absurd/disaster not to have Wiggins in the team for a "home" Tour de France. Wiggins is by far the bigger name in the UK.
User avatar armchairclimber

01 Jun 2014 07:56

red_flanders wrote:How is it even a question that Wiggins would be on the team? How can they possibly defend such a decision?

He'll focus on the vuelta.

That could be an explanation. If i were sky i wouldn't put him on the team.

It's way too risky, i'm sure brad is still ****ed off considering what happened 2 years ago. If at some point he has somehow a lead, after cobble stage for example then what is sky gonna do?

Next MTF Froome will prob be forced to follow Contador and wiggins will get crushed. But that's not the point. The days before that MTF it'll be drama in the papers, all the times annoying question of who is the leader. And like i said if i were froome i wouldn't trust wiggins.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

01 Jun 2014 09:06

[quote="armchairclimber"]It's SKY's team. Unless Froome has a veto on team membership written into his contract, the decision will be down to Brailsford, with not insignificant input from Murdoch Junior.
From a SKY team PR point of view it would be absurd/disaster not to have Wiggins in the team for a "home" Tour de France. Wiggins is by far the bigger name in the UK.[/QUOTE

Absolutely, totally agree.
elfed68

01 Jun 2014 09:24

The provisional Dauphine teams will be announced in the next day or two. If Wiggins isn't down to ride then we'll know he won't be at the Tour either.
JRanton

01 Jun 2014 09:28

armchairclimber wrote:It's SKY's team. Unless Froome has a veto on team membership written into his contract, the decision will be down to Brailsford, with not insignificant input from Murdoch Junior.
From a SKY team PR point of view it would be absurd/disaster not to have Wiggins in the team for a "home" Tour de France. Wiggins is by far the bigger name in the UK.

Absolutely, totally agree.
elfed68

01 Jun 2014 09:38

I've always hated Wiggo, but if he doesn't make the team for the TDF I'll be really disappointed. Having the TDF starting in GB with the most popular (and influential) British cyclist in the team, and not selectim him is the jerkiest move DB/Froome can do.
User avatar PirazziAttacksVino

01 Jun 2014 18:44

armchairclimber wrote:It's SKY's team. Unless Froome has a veto on team membership written into his contract, the decision will be down to Brailsford, with not insignificant input from Murdoch Junior.

It may be a PR disaster, although I think it would blow over fairly quickly. If the main aim is to win the TDF with CF and if they think Wiggins would put that a risk in some way why would they take him ? If they just want to take Wiggins for PR then something is wrong, it's about winning the race at the end of the day, not what the BBC thinks.
bigcog

01 Jun 2014 20:15

bigcog wrote:It may be a PR disaster, although I think it would blow over fairly quickly. If the main aim is to win the TDF with CF and if they think Wiggins would put that a risk in some way why would they take him ? If they just want to take Wiggins for PR then something is wrong, it's about winning the race at the end of the day, not what the BBC thinks.

I don't think it would blow over quickly. Wiggins is not the type to STFU if he isn't in the team.

In terms of the sporting decision, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to have Wiggins on board. Froome could fall and break his collarbone on the cobbles, whilst wiggo might be sitting on top of GC at that point.

I think this is what the Froome revelations are about. It's Froome's powerplay. "Look, I told you that SKY/Brailsford?WIggins are duplicitous".

Myself, I don't like SKY. Refuse to have the brand in my house. I refused to join my pals out taking photos of the recce this week. I have a fairly dispassionate view. To me, Froome is doing a good job of looking like even more of a tw@ than Wiggins.
User avatar armchairclimber

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing