Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Jun 2014 20:22

Froome looked pretty stuck up in that BBC clip. Is he that afraid of Wiggo? I don't think so - he must just be a jerk. Why leave out a guy that could be very helpful to you?....don't make no sense. My dislike for Froome continues to grow. Back in 2012 I thought he was a real nice quite guy...boy was I wrong! He's got the killer instinct towards his own teammate.
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes - Rom 1:16"

01 Jun 2014 20:23

elfed68 wrote:All this leaves a very sour taste in my mouth, Wiggins deserves a place, and by the looks of it he's not getting it.

Pretty crap, who's running this team!

I don't know but everything would be easier if Michelle wouldn't fill Chris brain with worthless foam from the mouth*

*bob dylan
pastronef

01 Jun 2014 21:10

Jspear wrote:Froome looked pretty stuck up in that BBC clip. Is he that afraid of Wiggo? I don't think so - he must just be a jerk. Why leave out a guy that could be very helpful to you?....don't make no sense. My dislike for Froome continues to grow. Back in 2012 I thought he was a real nice quite guy...boy was I wrong! He's got the killer instinct towards his own teammate.

He's probably peed off that he could have possibly won 2 tdfs (first uk winner and all that) by now and a vuelta. The chance to do so may not necessarily come around again. Plus it's patently obvious there is no love lost between them, so why would he want Wiggins on the team. It's all well and good to say be the big man and forgive and forget but if he does that and Wiggins starts with his tricks as of last year then it could make life very awkward for him.
bigcog

01 Jun 2014 21:25

bigcog wrote:He's probably peed off that he could have possibly won 2 tdfs (first uk winner and all that) by now and a vuelta. The chance to do so may not necessarily come around again. Plus it's patently obvious there is no love lost between them, so why would he want Wiggins on the team. It's all well and good to say be the big man and forgive and forget but if he does that and Wiggins starts with his tricks as of last year then it could make life very awkward for him.

The main reason surely is that a team with Wiggo in is stronger than one without him. Sky looked vulnerable last year and it was only due to the lack of competition that Froome made it look so easy. Contador and Saxo are a lot lot stronger this year and Sky will need everything to compete. Leaving arguably their second strongest rider at home because he and the team leader don't get on is petty and frankly ridiculous for a professional outfit and could backfire in a big way, especially with the way Porte has been riding this year.
User avatar Richeypen

01 Jun 2014 21:42

Richeypen wrote:The main reason surely is that a team with Wiggo in is stronger than one without him. Sky looked vulnerable last year and it was only due to the lack of competition that Froome made it look so easy. Contador and Saxo are a lot lot stronger this year and Sky will need everything to compete. Leaving arguably their second strongest rider at home because he and the team leader don't get on is petty and frankly ridiculous for a professional outfit and could backfire in a big way, especially with the way Porte has been riding this year.

Possibly stronger, depends on what his frame of mind is. His track record of helping Froome is non-existent. Fair enough given what happened in 2012 in some respects. Froome did a lot of work for him in the 2011 Vuelta and to some degree in the 2012 TDF despite the other stuff.

Pity they just weren't both allowed to go for it in the last two tdfs, it would have been far more entertaining too.
bigcog

01 Jun 2014 21:54

bigcog wrote:Possibly stronger, depends on what his frame of mind is. His track record of helping Froome is non-existent. Fair enough given what happened in 2012 in some respects. Froome did a lot of work for him in the 2011 Vuelta and to some degree in the 2012 TDF despite the other stuff.

Pity they just weren't both allowed to go for it in the last two tdfs, it would have been far more entertaining too.

Pre to 2011 Froome had shown NOTHING and was of course going to have to work for Wiggo. There has never been an point going into a race where Wiggo would have been expected to work for Froome, they have been kept apart.

Wiggo has shown that he can been one of the best climbers in the peleton, one of the flat riders in the world and showed in the Olympics (doing monster turns chasing for cav just a few days before the TT) that he can be a super dom if the occasion arises.

Its not even like he is suddenly going to attack Froome even if he wanted to, Wiggos style of climbing is to set a high, constant, unrelenting tempo and burn off all the weak riders. Perfect for Froome whether Wiggo means it or not :p
User avatar Richeypen

01 Jun 2014 22:29

Richeypen wrote:Pre to 2011 Froome had shown NOTHING and was of course going to have to work for Wiggo. There has never been an point going into a race where Wiggo would have been expected to work for Froome, they have been kept apart.

Wiggo has shown that he can been one of the best climbers in the peleton, one of the flat riders in the world and showed in the Olympics (doing monster turns chasing for cav just a few days before the TT) that he can be a super dom if the occasion arises.

Its not even like he is suddenly going to attack Froome even if he wanted to, Wiggos style of climbing is to set a high, constant, unrelenting tempo and burn off all the weak riders. Perfect for Froome whether Wiggo means it or not :p

I didn't notice Wiggins doing any work for Froome in the Vuelta 2011 after it was decided to support Froome, may be I missed it or it was too late in the race for him to make any meaningful contribution.

Wiggins is a very good climber but he is not in Contador/Froome class. Yes, he could be a great super dom, but given the past I can just cannot see it particularly for Froome.
bigcog

01 Jun 2014 22:49

Jspear wrote:Froome looked pretty stuck up in that BBC clip. Is he that afraid of Wiggo? I don't think so - he must just be a jerk. Why leave out a guy that could be very helpful to you?....don't make no sense. My dislike for Froome continues to grow. Back in 2012 I thought he was a real nice quite guy...boy was I wrong! He's got the killer instinct towards his own teammate.

I think Froome is a bit butthurt that Wiggo got all the hype, even though Froome basically handed him the tour win on a plate. And no one cared when Froome won himself.

Not that Wiggins isnt a ******bag himself though. I hope they let him ride, so we can maybe get some drama. But from a racing perspective Froome doesnt need Wiggins.

Maybe they need him for the PR though.
MC: I don’t think Chris fully understood that (Vinokourov) had doped.

CF: No, I knew.

MC: Not fully.
User avatar the sceptic

02 Jun 2014 00:53

the sceptic wrote:Maybe they need him for the PR though.

Calm down he wasn't that amazing in Roubaix :p
alspacka

02 Jun 2014 00:57

JRanton wrote:The provisional Dauphine teams will be announced in the next day or two. If Wiggins isn't down to ride then we'll know he won't be at the Tour either.

It's probably tentative, but as I write this Pro Cycling Stats lists these Sky riders for the Critérium du Dauphiné:

131.NIEVE Mikel
132.THOMAS Geraint
133.FROOME Christopher
134.WIGGINS Bradley
135.PORTE Richie
136.HENAO Sergio Luis
christopherrowe

02 Jun 2014 01:23

christopherrowe wrote:It's probably tentative, but as I write this Pro Cycling Stats lists these Sky riders for the Critérium du Dauphiné:

131.NIEVE Mikel
132.THOMAS Geraint
133.FROOME Christopher
134.WIGGINS Bradley
135.PORTE Richie
136.HENAO Sergio Luis

Froome, Porte, Nieve, Kiri and Lopez have all been training together for the last few weeks, i'd presume they will be in the Dauphine team. Thomas also tweeted that his next race is dauphine too.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

02 Jun 2014 01:25

Interesting but not official so we'll have to wait.

bigcog wrote:I didn't notice Wiggins doing any work for Froome in the Vuelta 2011 after it was decided to support Froome, may be I missed it or it was too late in the race for him to make any meaningful contribution.

Wiggins is a very good climber but he is not in Contador/Froome class. Yes, he could be a great super dom, but given the past I can just cannot see it particularly for Froome.

Yeah, you missed it, after Angliru Wiggo worked very hard for Froome, particularly on the Pena Cabarga stage when Froome couldn't shake off the Bison in the end...

If Froome/Cound veto Wiggins like last year, it's going to get very messy and if he messes up the TDF for whatever reason (odds looking at defending champions since 2005 are NOT GOOD) there'll be no end to it.
webvan

02 Jun 2014 09:26

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling

A chance to vote either way, not that it will make a diference.
User avatar rainman

02 Jun 2014 09:50

I wouldnt rule out this feud being a publicity stunt. It's what boxing often does. Also iirc the rap industry. Wrestling is built on it of course.

Nothing sells like a good old feud.

It doesn't even have to be pretend, the best lies have a lot of truth even.

I'm not saying that's what it is, but with this team and this company, this playing out in the month leading up to Britain hosting the grand depart, can't rule it out.

If a) they both make the tdf team and work in harmony throughout the tour (or at least until froome is safe in the jersey)
And b) we don't here much about it after July -brailsfords beloved media period during which 90% of what he wants the media to print, is said,

Then ill conclude it possibly was planned.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

02 Jun 2014 10:11

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling

Mixing work and play, dam. This link shd be ok.
User avatar rainman

02 Jun 2014 11:01

71 vs 29 so far !
webvan

02 Jun 2014 11:29

On the one hand an in form Wiggins would clearly improve the team; he is physiologically in the top 5 riders at Sky.

However it is not just about throwing the 9 best climbers or riders together you need chemistry and people who get along. Subject to Henao and Porte's form they may not consider it essential they have Wiggo there to assist with the climbing/rouleur work.

For what it's worth I think he will be in the 9 and it will look something like this-

Froome
Porte
Wiggins
Nieve
Kiryenka
Lopez
Thomas
EBH
Knees

If they want another climber then Henao might be the one. Otherwise Eisel may be in line for the 9th spot.
Jan the Man

02 Jun 2014 13:27

Dauphine prov startlist is now available. Wiggins out, Henao in.
User avatar Wallenquist

02 Jun 2014 13:30

Wallenquist wrote:Dauphine prov startlist is now available. Wiggins out, Henao in.

Oh, that's not a good sign.
elfed68

02 Jun 2014 13:41

Crap, where is it posted ?
webvan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing