Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

02 Jun 2014 13:48

del1962

02 Jun 2014 13:50

The team for the Dauphine is unreal. If Froome doesn't win with Porte, Henao, Lopez, Kennaugh, Thomas and Nieve as domestiques then he will struggle in the Tour.

I can't see a need for Wiggins as a climber but would be very handy at getting them to the base of the climbs and would be handy on the longer stages. Is there a TTT in this years Tour?
User avatar CycloAndy

02 Jun 2014 14:01

Thanks, I take it the * riders are substitutes? So not even good enough for that?
webvan

02 Jun 2014 14:51

Wallenquist wrote:Dauphine prov startlist is now available. Wiggins out, Henao in.

Wiggins to win Suisse :eek:

To some i think it was expected that Sir would only join the Froome train in July and otherwise they would just steer clear of each other. SKY would do well to send a GC rider to Switzerland, if not to win then at least grab some WT points.
Peter von

02 Jun 2014 14:56

TDS...hum http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-suisse/ - 25km ITT and Verbier where he did rather well in 2009, why not! Team rosters not announced yet it seems : http://www.tourdesuisse.ch/en/tour_de_suisse_2014/teams/sky_pro_cycling/ ?
webvan

02 Jun 2014 15:52

wiggo not in le tour would be a disgrace of epic proportions. we need some drama!!!!!

and yes i think wiggo could win suisse
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

02 Jun 2014 15:53

jens_attacks wrote:wiggo not in le tour would be a disgrace of epic proportions. we need some drama!!!!!

Costa to destroy him :p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

02 Jun 2014 16:19

Jan the Man wrote:On the one hand an in form Wiggins would clearly improve the team; he is physiologically in the top 5 riders at Sky.

However it is not just about throwing the 9 best climbers or riders together you need chemistry and people who get along. Subject to Henao and Porte's form they may not consider it essential they have Wiggo there to assist with the climbing/rouleur work.

LOL... Brailsford doesn't care about it. For him, his riders can hate each other as long as they have killer instinct. So No, team chemistry isn't really their main cup of tea. With that wiggins and froome are going to dislike each other no matter what.

In this exclusive video brought to you by inCycle TV, Brailsford details the necessary steps needed to run a successful team, one where ‘happy families’ come second to the demands and needs for a killer instinct and hunger to win.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/incycle-video-dave-brailsford-on-team-skys-killer-instinct
User avatar Jelantik

02 Jun 2014 16:42

Jelantik wrote:LOL... Brailsford doesn't care about it. For him, his riders can hate each other as long as they have killer instinct. So No, team chemistry isn't really their main cup of tea. With that wiggins and froome are going to dislike each other no matter what.

You don't think Wiggins' knee injury last year was a little convenient ?

I think they do value chemistry, at least after the 2012 TDF ...
deValtos

02 Jun 2014 16:44

deValtos wrote:You don't think Wiggins' knee injury last year was a little convenient ?

I think they do value chemistry, at least after the 2012 TDF ...

Was there a knee injury, or the same as this year with Team Cound refusing him a place so they say he's injured to avoid controversy.
elfed68

02 Jun 2014 17:46

Wallenquist wrote:Dauphine prov startlist is now available. Wiggins out, Henao in.

That's that then. No Tour for Wiggins. One thing you have to take from this is that Porte has rediscovered his form of 2013 over the last month. Frankly if I had three potential GC podium options then I'd take all of them to the Tour considering the notorious first week crash fest, irrespective of how well they got on with each other.
JRanton

02 Jun 2014 17:58

Wiggins to ride Suisse and Sky to keep this bandwagon rolling on for a few more weeks. It really wouldn't surprise me if it's all just PR spin and Wiggins will make the Tour squad after all.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

02 Jun 2014 18:00

Pricey_sky wrote:Wiggins to ride Suisse and Sky to keep this bandwagon rolling on for a few more weeks. It really wouldn't surprise me if it's all just PR spin and Wiggins will make the Tour squad after all.

Agree, although Wiggins being publically spited after saying he wants to ride and showing he's good enough would be amusing and increase the chances of him having 1 last proper year somewhere else trying to show those *******s what he's made of.

All moot anyway, Adam Yates is riding Dauphine and after he wins that it will be the only story.
Waterloo Sunrise

02 Jun 2014 18:01

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Agree, although Wiggins being publically spited after saying he wants to ride and showing he's good enough would be amusing and increase the chances of him having 1 last proper year somewhere else trying to show those *******s what he's made of.

All moot anyway, Adam Yates is riding Dauphine and after he wins that it will be the only story.

Good to see Yates riding another top race, well if Wiggins is shafted out of a Tour place I guess they could well be team mates next year!
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

02 Jun 2014 18:03

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Agree, although Wiggins being publically spited after saying he wants to ride and showing he's good enough would be amusing and increase the chances of him having 1 last proper year somewhere else trying to show those *******s what he's made of.

Talk on INRNG's Twitter feed of going back to Garmin, reported in an Italian newspaper today.
elfed68

02 Jun 2014 19:08

Confirmed

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9335682,00.html

Wiggo to try and win the b-team race.

Suisse lineups really have been dog **** the last few years.
Waterloo Sunrise

02 Jun 2014 19:16

jens_attacks wrote:wiggo not in le tour would be a disgrace of epic proportions. we need some drama!!!!!

There will be drama especially with the TDF route. It is comparably "easy" and suits wiggins well. The biggest mountain days aren't that big. Wiggins also magically found his form this year.

I will never understand why they don't make him ride the Giro especially after he showed some form early season. Sky embarrassed themselves at the Giro. All that money, all that talent and they didn't bring anyone to compete.
offbyone

02 Jun 2014 19:23

offbyone wrote:Sky embarrassed themselves at the Giro.

Eh, there were teams that did worse. I thought Dario Cataldo had a good Giro, and Sebastian Henao impressed in the uphill TT. Deignan showed himself a time or two.
christopherrowe

02 Jun 2014 19:27

so no sergio henao in these races?

overall win for wiggo in tour de suisse should mean automatic selection for tdf. otherwise his fans should go mad. and rightfully so.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

02 Jun 2014 19:32

If I remember right, the Tour de Suisse has virtually zero TV coverage :(

Hopefully he'll repeat the Tour of California performance and make it really difficult for Cound to leave him out.
elfed68

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing