Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

03 Jun 2014 17:31

I guess my conspiracy theory appears to have some truth :D. Wiggins is not going to stay with sky for 2015 season. That's just show that the polemic between Froome and Wiggins isn't over yet as they claim to be. Bad blood is bad blood. The comment we have read (except this time more civilized than last year) and the timing of Froome's book release.. that's just a trickling facts, they both don't like each other deep down.

As Froome's position at Team Sky seems to be unshakable, despite declarations about putting all the differences to bed the fruitful coexistence of the two Britons in the same squad seems effectively impossible.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/wiggins_and_team_sky_to_part_their_ways_for_2015_season/

funny things is he seems to have no problem to come back to Garmin if the price is right .. i guess.

And this also confirms that Froome might be reluctant to have wiggins on the TDF team.
http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/froome_sees_porte_as_team_sky_plan_b_for_the_tour/
User avatar Jelantik

03 Jun 2014 18:59

del1962 wrote:Don't agree with this, what would he have done in the Giro, other than potentially winning the flat TT, he would not have challenged for the podium, however he picked up a win in Cali

If wiggins is still a contender than he would contend. If not than I don't know why we are even talking about him.
offbyone

03 Jun 2014 19:17

Wiggins and Vaughters close friends???
User avatar armchairclimber

03 Jun 2014 23:26

armchairclimber wrote:Wiggins and Vaughters close friends???

Yeah I read that, came as a suprise to me.
del1962

03 Jun 2014 23:54

I'd like to see him Greenedge for a year before he goes back to the track for 2016. He'd be a good fit with them and give them a decent GC rider. He will also add to their already super strong TTT line-up and a chance for a few more leaders jerseys would be good PR for him too.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

04 Jun 2014 00:37

I would not be opposed to Wiggo joining Orica-Green Edge
either, as long as Cath and Ben and Isabella are okay with it.

As far as him riding the Tour de France this year, he's been
there, won that...what I would really like is for him to ride the
ITT at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and make up for
the embarrassment in Manchester, the last time the Games
were in the UK. Brad has won many races and championships
on both the road and track, but he has never won Gold at the
Commonwealth Games. It would be a fantastic treat for the
fans in Glasgow to see BMW at his best.

It would make more sense for Big Wig to ride the Vuelta in
preparation for the ITT at the Worlds, than to ride the Tour,
the way I see it.
We should ride our bikes at least 20 kilometres every day,
unless we are too busy...then we should ride at least forty.
User avatar oldcrank

04 Jun 2014 00:39

Pricey_sky wrote:I'd like to see him Greenedge for a year before he goes back to the track for 2016. He'd be a good fit with them and give them a decent GC rider. He will also add to their already super strong TTT line-up and a chance for a few more leaders jerseys would be good PR for him too.

GE don't want someone for one year. They want someone who will be around for a while to mentor the younger riders and also be a GT contender. I think they will go for a younger rider than Wiggins or Evans. Probably not many of those on the market though. Porte might be a possibility if off contract soon.
movingtarget

04 Jun 2014 00:40

oldcrank wrote:I would not be opposed to Wiggo joining Orica-Green Edge
either, as long as Cath and Ben and Isabella are okay with it.

As far as him riding the Tour de France this year, he's been
there, won that...what I would really like is for him to ride the
ITT at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and make up for
the embarrassment in Manchester, the last time the Games
were in the UK. Brad has won many races and championships
on both the road and track, but he has never won Gold at the
Commonwealth Games. It would be a fantastic treat for the
fans in Glasgow to see BMW at his best.

It would make more sense for Big Wig to ride the Vuelta in
preparation for the ITT at the Worlds, than to ride the Tour,
the way I see it

More than likely he will ride Tour of Britain again, 8 stages of decent racing plus a little iTT and he doesn't have to travel far.

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

04 Jun 2014 00:43

movingtarget wrote:GE don't want someone for one year. They want someone who will be around for a while to mentor the younger riders and also be a GT contender. I think they will go for a younger rider than Wiggins or Evans. Probably not many of those on the market though. Porte might be a possibility if off contract soon.

Well they've already gone on record saying they would be interested in him, they surely know that once 2016 comes round he will be fully focused on the Olympics. Perhaps by 2016 Porte will be ready to jump over so it could all work out ok for them.

User avatar Pricey_sky

04 Jun 2014 00:48

Pricey_sky wrote:More than likely he will ride Tour of Britain again, 8 stages of decent racing plus a little iTT and he doesn't have to travel far.

That would make sense, too, my friend.
Perhaps more sense than the Vuelta.
We should ride our bikes at least 20 kilometres every day,
unless we are too busy...then we should ride at least forty.
User avatar oldcrank

04 Jun 2014 01:09

Jelantik wrote:.... Of course there's nothing wrong to say that. But knowing the past bad blood between these two, and the fact that clearly wiggins has a good form this year and he is the only sky rider who isn't injured or sick, it's logical that he should make the TDF squad. So by saying that wiggins is kinda saying that if he doesn't make TDF squad, it's not because he doesn't have the form, but because Froome doesn't want him on the team. And Froome answered it with the timing of releasing his new book. And of course this is just my conspiracy theory :D

TBH I don't really see this as a conspiracy theory. It's pretty much fact at this point.
alspacka

04 Jun 2014 05:12

Pricey_sky wrote:Well they've already gone on record saying they would be interested in him, they surely know that once 2016 comes round he will be fully focused on the Olympics. Perhaps by 2016 Porte will be ready to jump over so it could all work out ok for them.

let's see. Porte has a contract with Sky until Dec 31, 2015. we have to see IF Orica is a good choice fo him, if he likes the team. he seems to come from a different environment, not related with the Jayco Ais youth teams
pastronef

04 Jun 2014 07:47

PosterBill wrote:It would suck not to see Wiggins in the Tour...at least for the fans. It would add some spice with the Froome/Wiggins relationship. And it's a British start which should honor Wiggins especially considering his age etc. I don't really even get why Froome wouldn't want Wiggins in there. We make a big to do about speculating who is in form this time of year but the road usually plays out like always, the superior rider wins out and that's generally Froome or Contador right now. This was reinforced to me after watching the opening GIRO and actually believing Evans had a chance. Wonder what the betting odds would have changed to after the first giro week? Smart money would have still probably taken Nairo because he's the superior climber.

Wiggins is not going to ride off and leave Froome behind in the mountains. Maybe he could cause some early troubles in a time trial or prologue but 2014 only features one TT at the very end of the race...If Froome is really this worried then something is major wrong in his preparation (back problems?) and it's showing a sign of weakness. If it's for other reasons then that's being a bit selfish (although Froome basically gifted Wiggins a TDF)

The reason for Wiggins not being included in the Tour team is due to a personality clash. They can't stand each other.
JRanton

04 Jun 2014 07:50

Jelantik wrote:maybe it's the best way for sky to settle whether or not wiggins goes to TDF. If he can't win it.. then Froome can easily use an excuse that other riders are better form .. bla, bla, bla. But if wiggins won Switzerland, there's NO way Froome can deny him the spot on TDF. And it might even complicated, is wiggins going to get a free role?

it's funny to read Froome's comment that said if there's something happen to him, Porte can step up to replace him. Really? Porte hasn't been finishing his race since TA. And wiggins finished 9th at PR and won TOC. And still Porte is his replacement? Come on..

As much as Froome wanted to say it was over, well, the timing of his book release and his statement on the press about wiggins chance of making the spot, just indicates he's probably reluctant to have wiggins on the team. And wiggins is no dummy either. He used media to help his cause. He made statement on the press about how he wanted to make the TDF team and willing to ride in support for Froome. And he went so far to have public support by saying that TDF is Froome's team and it's up to Froome to choose his team.

Of course there's nothing wrong to say that. But knowing the past bad blood between these two, and the fact that clearly wiggins has a good form this year and he is the only sky rider who isn't injured or sick, it's logical that he should make the TDF squad. So by saying that wiggins is kinda saying that if he doesn't make TDF squad, it's not because he doesn't have the form, but because Froome doesn't want him on the team. And Froome answered it with the timing of releasing his new book. And of course this is just my conspiracy theory :D

With regards to Porte it's worth remembering that Froome had done absolutely nothing (far less than Porte '14 who had some decent results early season) before the Dauphine in 2012. As we know he was 4th in the Dauphine and then was the strongest rider at the Tour.
JRanton

04 Jun 2014 07:54

del1962 wrote:Don't agree with this, what would he have done in the Giro, other than potentially winning the flat TT, he would not have challenged for the podium, however he picked up a win in Cali

I agree.

Wiggins would have absolutely hated the Giro this year. It would have been like a humiliating replay of last year if he'd ridden it.
JRanton

04 Jun 2014 08:01

Pricey_sky wrote:I'd like to see him Greenedge for a year before he goes back to the track for 2016. He'd be a good fit with them and give them a decent GC rider. He will also add to their already super strong TTT line-up and a chance for a few more leaders jerseys would be good PR for him too.

What would the Aussies think of that though? A Brit leading their national team?
JRanton

04 Jun 2014 10:06

I hope Wiggins gets his Tour place. Froome is trying to block it through petulance rather than sound reasoning. Wiggo can be a superb team man when he sets hid mind to it. The most notable example was perhaps when he helped Cav (with whom he also had a tenuous relationship) to his Worlds win in Copenhagen.
But selfishly I'd like it even better if for whatever reason the team leadership came into question during the race, even as soon as after the cobbles stage.
Its been a bit dull and predictable on the Tour lately, time for some rock and roll. :D
User avatar rainman

04 Jun 2014 10:30

I like Froome,i kinda understand his scepticism but Wiggins deserves his place in the Tour team,he should be there even he wants a free role.They have enough guys for a tgv so one less not going to hurt them.
User avatar MBotero

04 Jun 2014 10:47

rainman wrote:I hope Wiggins gets his Tour place. Froome is trying to block it through petulance rather than sound reasoning. Wiggo can be a superb team man when he sets hid mind to it. The most notable example was perhaps when he helped Cav (with whom he also had a tenuous relationship) to his Worlds win in Copenhagen.
But selfishly I'd like it even better if for whatever reason the team leadership came into question during the race, even as soon as after the cobbles stage.
Its been a bit dull and predictable on the Tour lately, time for some rock and roll. :D

Wiggins was back on very good terms with Cav before the Worlds in Copenhagen. That's the difference.
JRanton

04 Jun 2014 10:49

MBotero wrote:I like Froome,i kinda understand his scepticism but Wiggins deserves his place in the Tour team,he should be there even he wants a free role.They have enough guys for a tgv so one less not going to hurt them.

I sort of agree. After all they let EBH have a free role in the sprint stages last year, which was possibly the most pointless thing ever, so why not just let Wiggins ride around and do what he wants.
JRanton

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing