Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Jun 2014 10:36

Krzysztof_O wrote:There was too much bad blood between Wiggins and Froome since 2012. It's possible that Wiggins' presence would cause some conflicts during the Tour, which could influence the race outcome. Sky's biggest mistake was that they didn't predict it earlier and let Wiggins change the team.

Brailsfod must just kneel and pray all gods that nothing bad happens on the cobbles...
pastronef

06 Jun 2014 10:40

Froome hates Wiggins because he didn't let him go for personal opportunities, Froome doesnt want to be a complete hypocrite so allows Wiggins to do the Tour....oh wait. Froome's true colours shining through!
User avatar CycloAndy

06 Jun 2014 10:47

Is there a chance Sky may get booed at the team presentation? Probably not but that would be hilarious! :D
User avatar Jones123

06 Jun 2014 10:47

pastronef wrote:so, which riders are not going to be selected because the belong to the Wiggo's crew and not to Froome's crew?

I'm not familiar with the group dynamics inside the Sky team and I don't think anyone else will be hit by Froome's power display. And that's the most accurate description of the matter, as far as I'm concerned. Froome intervened, put veto, or however you want to call it, just to show who's the boss.
But, you know, there are still four weeks till the Tour, and they're Englishmen not shy of mind games, so...
penzos

06 Jun 2014 10:50

595RED wrote:Right about now these turncoats will all be part of the Froome crew

Talk sense FGS. Its not the local park gallop. Being part of the winning team they stand to make maybe 50k euros each. If a rider is picked for the Tour they ride, end of.
User avatar rainman

06 Jun 2014 10:51

penzos wrote:I'm not familiar with the group dynamics inside the Sky team and I don't think anyone else will be hit by Froome's power display. And that's the most accurate description of the matter, as far as I'm concerned. Froome intervened, put veto, or however you want to call it, just to show who's the boss.
But, you know, there are still four weeks till the Tour, and they're Englishmen not shy of mind games, so...

the problem should've been obvious when pictures of Tenerife tarining camp came out, and there was no sign of Wiggo. he was not called by Sky team to Tenerife
pastronef

06 Jun 2014 10:52

Sky must be very confident to have the luxury of leaving Wiggins at home - not so much in what he would give them on the team but knowing the likely media reaction if Froome wasn't to deliver.

I'm expecting another procession
User avatar Eyeballs Out

06 Jun 2014 10:56

coimbrawu wrote:Best case scenario:
Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 1h
How can Bradley Wiggins to end up being in yellow jersey? Sign with @tinkoff_saxo and wear all year long :-)
:rolleyes::p

Got to love Tinkoff. Makes me laugh everytime I read something about him. :D
[SIZE="2"]"Life should be a little nuts, otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together!"[/SIZE]
User avatar Akuryo

06 Jun 2014 10:57

pastronef wrote:the problem should've been obvious when pictures of Tenerife tarining camp came out, and there was no sign of Wiggo. he was not called by Sky team to Tenerife

Certainly.
But the sporting criteria can't be the explanation. Obviously Froome has a strong say.
penzos

06 Jun 2014 10:59

webvan wrote:Probably a veto right in the contract he renewed at the end of last year...

@JRanton - ok, so the 2kg has to be a rough estimate too...It would make sense to spend dome time on the Velodrome. I really wouldn't draw any drastic conclusions for the TDS based on that "sighting".

Porte is only "Plan B" if something happens to Froome after the race has started. If it's before, Wiggo is "in", he said so much on the BBC.

Yes, he'd be in as Plan B with Porte as Plan A in that scenario.
JRanton

06 Jun 2014 11:01

It does appear that Froome has vetoed him for sure, and I think I've now moved from being a bit 'meh' about Froome to actively disliking him - this just looks petty and weak. I might some take some chalk along to the London stage and write 'Froome go home' in big letters on the road!
RownhamHill

06 Jun 2014 11:01

JRanton wrote:Yes, he'd be in as Plan B with Porte as Plan A in that scenario.

Possibly but only if he were to show good form at the Dauphine and it would be much more "balanced" than a Froome/Wiggins or Froome/Porte scenario. Anyway let's not get ahead of ourselves.
webvan

06 Jun 2014 11:05

rainman wrote:Chris Froome has dropped in my reckoning after this, and Brailsford for giving way.
Even if BW had gone rogue The Dawg could have seen him off in the mountains and proven himself a worthy champion by not losing too much in the ITT. But making sure he was DNS was sneaky and cowardly. Hope Alberto is in blistering form next month.

This is more of a PR move by Brad, to try to force his way into the reckoning.

Its actually pretty petulant in my mind of him to be doing this in the media, and not behind closed doors or on the road.
User avatar Catwhoorg

06 Jun 2014 11:08

Wiggins on non-Tour selection on BBC: "I'm gutted. Trained hard. I feel I'm in the form of 2012 but at the end of a day it's a team sport."

I hope he wins TdSuisse, to see what DB and the top brass at BSkyB will say
pastronef

06 Jun 2014 11:10

Catwhoorg wrote:This is more of a PR move by Brad, to try to force his way into the reckoning.

Its actually pretty petulant in my mind of him to be doing this in the media, and not behind closed doors or on the road.

How could telling everyone he hasn't got picked be considered a PR move? Sky now can let this sink in and die down a bit before the Tour starts, so have even less reason to pick him now.
User avatar CycloAndy

06 Jun 2014 11:10

You guys are really overlooking what Wiggins himself said in the interview. Having 2 guys who are both Tdf winners and 'strong personalities' who arent exactly best of mates on the same team, in the same bus, in the same hotel for a month of tough and stressful racing is a recipe for disaster. All you see is them on the bikes, you dont see everything behind the scenes which can be just as important to the end result.

Sky won last years race easily with Froome as leader and no Wiggins in the team. Why would they change that with all the potential for acrimony with Wiggins in the team? And there's no way Wiggins would be a major GC contender with only 1 TT. Beating Rohan Dennis by a few secs in ToC is not TdF winning form.

Having said all that I kind of expected SKY TV to demand Wiggins be there for the PR!!
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:11

I did say that he's not the type to STFU. He's being quite clever, covering several bases. He is being passive aggressive... he looks the magnanimous wronged party and it makes Froome appear to be weak/afraid/petty and unsporting. He's also getting the story out plenty early enough for it to gather momentum before the Grand Depart.

He would need to go and win in Switzerland now though to give his push more weight.
User avatar armchairclimber

06 Jun 2014 11:13

Catwhoorg wrote:This is more of a PR move by Brad, to try to force his way into the reckoning.

You mean over and above Wiggo's performances in PR and Cali?

Clearly Cound and Froome saw these more as a threat than something which could strengthen the team.
Dazed and Confused

06 Jun 2014 11:14

P.s. for all those people who slag off Wiggins and call him arrogant and blah blah, I'd like to see you give as reserved and diplomatic interview as Wiggins did considering how he must feel about it.
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:14

Very tough call for Chris. Either take Wiggins and risk a tensed atmosphere in the group or leave him out and have everyone around you that you wish for but face an immense pressure from the outside to win the race.

Meanwhile at Contador's house:

User avatar Flamin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing