Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Jun 2014 11:16

Its so funny how you guys try to read conspiracy theories and underhand tactics into everything wiggins says and does!
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:19

Jones123 wrote:I think the reason for Wiggins' dismissal is due to the cobbled stage, Froome is probably worried Wiggins will put a minute or so into him and lose his leadership. Then all Wiggins would have to do is limit his losses in the mountains to around two minutes and he'd win the race in the TT... If there weren't any cobbles I bet he wouldn't have been dismissed... That's my take on it anyway

Exactly it's this. Wiggins will have been dreaming of the same scenario as Armstrong tried to play in 2009: incidents in the first week putting him ahead of the rightful team leader, could be an outside chance of yellow jersey if he's in the front split on stage 5 and climbs well in the Vosges, which restricts Froome's attacking options. Maybe the team would normally take the risk of this playing out and be confident that one of them would win, but Contador looks pretty good just now - you'd want your whole team working together to beat him.
VO2 Max

After Wiggins descended like a wuss in the Giro that's it for him being Grand Tour material as he's going to get attacked from now on. What does he bring to the party after singling out Froome and not paying him after the 2012 Tour.
Gaul 58

CycloAndy wrote:How could telling everyone he hasn't got picked be considered a PR move? Sky now can let this sink in and die down a bit before the Tour starts, so have even less reason to pick him now.

He is clearly trying to force DB into publicly saying he is still in the picture.

One thing is clear to me. He is gone from SKY by the end of the year.
This sort of thing will not sit well with the powers that be.

He needs to be thankful that DB isn't in charge of the Olympic selection anymore.
Then he could be putting his Rio selection in jeopardy.
User avatar Catwhoorg

06 Jun 2014 11:21

armchairclimber wrote:I did say that he's not the type to STFU. He's being quite clever, covering several bases. He is being passive aggressive... he looks the magnanimous wronged party and it makes Froome appear to be weak/afraid/petty and unsporting. He's also getting the story out plenty early enough for it to gather momentum before the Grand Depart.

He would need to go and win in Switzerland now though to give his push more weight.

Yes the newsman (probably knowing his past form) was trying to draw him into a more robust statement, but he kept it very diplomatic.
I thought maybe he was trying to maybe impress Dawg/Brailsford being so mild mannered, a last ditch attempt to prove he would be no threat if picked.
User avatar rainman

06 Jun 2014 11:22

Dazed and Confused wrote:You mean over and above Wiggo's performances in PR and Cali?

Clearly Cound and Froome saw these more as a threat than something which could strengthen the team.

he should have been repeating that at Suisse.
Then talk with his long term friend DB, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

I actually rather like Wiggo as a rider, but this is another in his long line of media mess-ups.
User avatar Catwhoorg

06 Jun 2014 11:27

It's not I think about Dawg's fear about Bradley taking leadership from him. It's more about atmosphere on the team. It's very important to have a team around that you have 100% confidence in, in their loyalty. Having Wiggins, means going to the Tour with someone rather unfriendly, someone you have to be constantly alert to. That's not what Froome wants, for sure
User avatar Gregory

06 Jun 2014 11:28

Catwhoorg wrote:he should have been repeating that at Suisse.
Then talk with his long term friend DB, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

I actually rather like Wiggo as a rider, but this is another in his long line of media mess-ups.

Brailsford is clearly not in charge at team Sky when it comes to these matters. It would be stupid not to use the media in this case.
Dazed and Confused

06 Jun 2014 11:28

I cant believe this decision. it makes no sense. every where im reading people are saying that brad wouldn't work 100% for froome, but I don't think he had to. Really would you be using wiggins as a waterboy or making him ride kms on the front. no you wouldn't. you would have him as a "second" GC possibility. Porte isn't quite there yet so really, now they are throwing all there eggs in the one basket. froome crashes first week in the tour they are screwed. tour over.

But most importantly there is a cobbled stage in this tour. last time there was a cobbled stage in a tour, the team with an experienced cobbled rider rode away with there gc rider on there wheel. Obviously wiggins is no fabian but still but he has proven that he can ride cobbles and rode the group with Thomas, boonen and someone else back to the front of the race. that could be vital for froome.

pros of taking wiggins:
1. cobbled stage
2. super domestique in the mountains
3. second GC option

cons of taking wiggins:
1. rivalry between him and froome
2. extra water boy

I know who I would take. I hated wiggins after the tour win plus his 2013 year but I love him now. his ride at flanders and PR were amazing.
richo36

06 Jun 2014 11:35

Froome is a coward. Contador handled LA in his team while everyone was against AC.

Just shows the difference in class.

I feel sorry for Wiggins, he doesn't really deserve this. He honestly didn't do anything wrong 2 years ago. If someone is to blaim it's Brailsford or Froome.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

06 Jun 2014 11:37

I know this is the Wiggins discussion thread but it has been totally taken over by infatuated Wiggins' fans.

You cannot run a team of any sort, be it in business, sport or the girl guides when your two principals are more focused on doing each other down than achieving the goal.

Wiggins with his regular childish tantrums interspersed with offish, snide comments and uncooperative behaviour every time he has ridden with Froome has made it plain that the only team he (Wiggins) can ride on is one where everybody else bends to his will and what he wants. He is a typical only child.

The individual pursuit and time trialling are the perfect events for him. No need to work in a team, just him and the coaches, everybody involved pulling for Brad.

He gave Brailsford no choice. "Sir Dave" would have been crazy to pick him. I don't know what you are all whining about. You must have no management experience.
User avatar wirral

06 Jun 2014 11:45

richo36 wrote:But most importantly there is a cobbled stage in this tour. last time there was a cobbled stage in a tour, the team with an experienced cobbled rider rode away with there gc rider on there wheel. Obviously wiggins is no fabian but still but he has proven that he can ride cobbles and rode the group with Thomas, boonen and someone else back to the front of the race. that could be vital for froome.

Geraint Thomas is at least as good as Wiggins over the cobbles and has always slaved away loyally doing whatever the team tells him to do.
VO2 Max

06 Jun 2014 11:47

Miburo wrote:Froome is a coward. Contador handled LA in his team while everyone was against AC.

I feel sorry for Wiggins, he doesn't really deserve this. He honestly didn't do anything wrong 2 years ago. If someone is to blaim it's Brailsford or Froome.

Lol what a complete load of rubbish
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:48

Clearly it would not be as tranquillo in the team bus or hotel with Wiggo around. But I would bet having peace and harmony, golden butterflies etc will not be enough to win it for Sky. Roche won the Giro in 87 in an atmosphere of savage rancour for the entire three weeks. It cant always be placid.
I bet not all the Real Madrid players get along well or at all. Ancellotti couldn't give a flyer as long as they get the job done.
User avatar rainman

06 Jun 2014 11:49

come on guys is this really such a surprise that BW is not on the team , it certainly is not to me . he is a legend of british cycling and has an ego to match , he is not going to be a workhorse for froome or anybody else for that matter .

they pulled out a phantom injury last year if my memory is correct so he did not have to demean himself to ride for CF and its the same thing this year with a different excuse .

for reasons we wont know there is a lot of bitterness between the two riders but we are now in the froome era and im sure chris has a very big say on whos on or off the team and BW being left behind was something i saw coming from a mile away .
User avatar shades1

06 Jun 2014 11:51

You guys are ridiculous. Wiggins said all that needs to be said in that interview. It was completely honest. The looney ulterior motives you try to make up are just pathetic. Froome won the tour easily last year without wiggins and he'll probably do it again and all this stuff will be completely forgotten in a couple of months
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:51

Wiggins to Tinkoff Saxon to spearheaded next year's classics campaign, thoughts?
elfed68

06 Jun 2014 11:53

rainman wrote:Clearly it would not be as tranquillo in the team bus or hotel with Wiggo around. But I would bet having peace and harmony, golden butterflies etc will not be enough to win it for Sky. Roche won the Giro in 87 in an atmosphere of savage rancour for the entire three weeks. It cant always be placid.
I bet not all the Real Madrid players get along well or at all. Ancellotti couldn't give a flyer as long as they get the job done.

Just because its possible to still succeed in a bad situation doesnt mean its in any way disirable. Why dont u list every team that failed due to internal disagreements and tension? It would be a very long list
willbick

06 Jun 2014 11:56

Miburo wrote:Froome is a coward. Contador handled LA in his team while everyone was against AC.

the difference in class will be obvious in july in froome favour
cauberg1999

06 Jun 2014 11:59

This surprised me enough into posting. You'd think at the very least they could have used him as a decoy, or allowed him to try for a stage.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing