Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 Jun 2014 10:46

Interesting article, looks like SDB picked up the vibe that everyone thinksTeam Fround is chosing the team.

The soap opera continues!
elfed68

08 Jun 2014 10:57

Indeed, whereas he could have appeared "miffed" at Wiggo for talking to the BBC yesterday, he is in fact offering him some "support" ("Despite the impression that might have been created", "People should be careful before thinking Chris is making decisions here").

Team Cound must have blown a gasket when reading that!
webvan

08 Jun 2014 11:14

I'd say he's edging his bets, this could be read as saying there are other inter- personal issues in play:

"Trust and harmony are important considerations and it’s a difficult decision. I’m not just talking about the harmony between Chris and Brad but harmony amongst all the riders and staff."
bigcog

08 Jun 2014 11:19

webvan wrote:Indeed, whereas he could have appeared "miffed" at Wiggo for talking to the BBC yesterday, he is in fact offering him some "support" ("Despite the impression that might have been created", "People should be careful before thinking Chris is making decisions here").

Team Cound must have blown a gasket when reading that!

Actually it would make them seem less responsible when Wiggins subsequently is not taken
User avatar roundabout

08 Jun 2014 12:12

He's just taking the heat off team Cound as well as re-asserting his own authority. He won't want an adverse reaction from the Brit crowds towards Froome...especially as we all now know that he is just as "sensitive" as Wiggins.

Frankly, I'd be astonished if Murdoch Jnr didn't have a hand in the team selection process, via Dave's ear.
User avatar armchairclimber

08 Jun 2014 12:35

Turns out Froome's got a white cat called Coco Froome who posts on Twitter.

So, Ernst Blofeld and his cat or Dr Evil and Mr Bigglesworth?

Ah Mr Wiggins I've been expecting you
Or
When I get angry Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset, and when Mr. Bigglesworth get upset, PEOPLE DIE!!
elfed68

08 Jun 2014 13:44

LOL. Thanks for the article. This reads to me as 'brilliant' move by wiggins announcing that he is definitely not selected. Again, wiggins is using the public to support for his cause. Brilliant! Now Brailsford has to come out and say something about it. The problem with his statement about team harmony between the riders and staffs can be read as 'wiggins is a pain in the a-ss'. so no way he create harmony within the rider and the staff. Wiggins got the form to back it up this year, the only thing that he doesn't have is" he is not the harmony puzzle piece." Otherwise, Brailsford would have said, brad in on form and would be a good asset to help Froome .. bla, bla, bla. By saying he hasn't chosen the team and depends on team harmony, he is basically delaying to say that wiggins is not going to be on TDF team. I remembered way back, he said that the form and performance were the reason to get selected to the team. Now seems like that wasn't the case, coz wiggins got his form back this year.

Even though I feel sorry for Wiggins, the fact the matters is he likes to stir up things using media. Since he is the former TDF winner, every news outlet will take whatever comment he said. If he doesn't win TDF few years back, no one will care about what he said. From Brailsford points of view, he is kinda a PR headache to deal with and for team perspective, he is kinda a distraction that they don't need.

Nonetheless, as I predicted before whether wiggins make the TDF team or not, it doesn't matter, sky will continue to be a soap opera as long as wiggins and Froome are in the same team. Brailsford just needs to choose which one is the lesser evil.

I'm surprise Michelle doesn't go on rampage on her twitter already. That woman usually have a loose mouth about everything and a PR loose canon. Now she clamped tight? Interesting!
User avatar Jelantik

09 Jun 2014 14:07

With Porte not delivering, i think Wiggins is looking good for TDF.
IndianCyclist

09 Jun 2014 14:53

We'll see how he does at the TDS but it can't be worse than Porte today. What's amazing is that DB and Mr. Cound thought Porte was doing great again! Does it mean the differences are minute but lead to big gaps or were they just bluffing?

The way things are going at Sky, they won't even have room for a "Plan B", they'll need Wiggo to pull earlier rather than later...
webvan

09 Jun 2014 16:26

IndianCyclist wrote:With Porte not delivering, i think Wiggins is looking good for TDF.

Yeah, sad to see Brad out of Le Tour. They'll miss him in the cobbles.
Arkaitz

09 Jun 2014 16:35

webvan wrote:We'll see how he does at the TDS but it can't be worse than Porte today. What's amazing is that DB and Mr. Cound thought Porte was doing great again! Does it mean the differences are minute but lead to big gaps or were they just bluffing?

The way things are going at Sky, they won't even have room for a "Plan B", they'll need Wiggo to pull earlier rather than later...

I guess their PR machine is crumbling down now. Porte already got dropped on some 6-7km down on the easier mountain out of the 3. Clearly, it's obvious, all the talk about dynamic etc, is just their PR to try to skip Wiggins. I don't think wiggins will win TdS, but I do think he will perform better than Porte. (if Porte continuos his trend today). Week end will tell where Porte's form is actually is. Oh my.. this is going to be the best summer blockbuster soap opera courtesy of team sky.. and with porte performance's today, he is just throwing more gasoline to an already burning fire. Now, he is under pressure too, to perform on the weekend.
User avatar Jelantik

09 Jun 2014 16:37

Great stage (and comment thread).

It looked to me like Porte dropped off a little too easily. Same with Hesjedal (who seemed to have tons of energy all of a sudden once the camera started showing him drifting back). I'd guess they've other objectives for the race. Also, Sky hardly needed Porte for an 800m climb with the firepower they have.
User avatar dduff442

09 Jun 2014 21:21

You have to applaud wiggins for using public opinion to support to his cause. This below is going to force sky to think hard to not include wiggins.

A senior figure in cycling, who asked to remain anonymous, said: ‘If Brad doesn’t ride it will be a disaster for the sport in this country. Here was a chance to showcase the sport here in England with the last two winners of the Tour, who are both British. But because they don’t get on, the one who’s most popular with the fans is not going to be there. It’s embarrassing.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651356/This-Tour-isnt-big-Bradley-Wiggins-blames-rivalry-teammate-Froome-exclusion-opening-stages-race.html#ixzz34BAn6UV6
User avatar Jelantik

10 Jun 2014 09:12

Wiggins is a smart guy knows to play his cards.I hope Sky management we'll reconsider the mater,Wiggo should be in the TDF team,he's no danger for Froome.You don't let a SIR out 2 years in a row.
User avatar MBotero

11 Jun 2014 07:54

L'Equipe reporting Sky have decided Henao is ok to race after all, that he's doing the Tour de Suisse, and he might lead the team. Not good for Wiggo's chances of making the Tour, Henao could sub for Porte in the train if Porte can't get it together between now and La Planche Des Belles Filles.
User avatar vedrafjord

11 Jun 2014 08:04

Surprised how much I'm rooting for Wiggins to make the Tour team. Hated him 2012 and before, but there was a sort of pathos in his fall from grace, and of course there's potential for all kinds of shenanigans if he's brought along. There's a band called Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, their name is getting at the same thing.
User avatar vedrafjord

11 Jun 2014 09:43

vedrafjord wrote:Surprised how much I'm rooting for Wiggins to make the Tour team. Hated him 2012 and before, but there was a sort of pathos in his fall from grace, and of course there's potential for all kinds of shenanigans if he's brought along. There's a band called Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, their name is getting at the same thing.

I know what you mean. Before his 2012 Tour de France I was not a big fan of Wiggins but the more I read about him and the more I watch his interviews, I am starting to really like this dude.
[SIZE="2"]"Life should be a little nuts, otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together!"[/SIZE]
User avatar Akuryo

11 Jun 2014 11:05

Akuryo wrote:I know what you mean. Before his 2012 Tour de France I was not a big fan of Wiggins but the more I read about him and the more I watch his interviews, I am starting to really like this dude.

Maybe that's also because there was so much unnecessary Wiggins bashing, that people thought he is the devil himself. Turns out he may have his edges, which could also be likeable.
User avatar JimPanzen

11 Jun 2014 11:23

JimPanzen wrote:Maybe that's also because there was so much unnecessary Wiggins bashing, that people thought he is the devil himself. Turns out he may have his edges, which could also be likeable.

or that they just found out that Wiggo is the lesser evil on Sky :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing