Register

Radioshack-Leopard Trek

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

07 Sep 2011 18:51

eleven wrote:Oh really? Then why have you been doubting and denying it for pages?

Because the owner of the team is saying it and there is zero public evidence to the contrary.

Still waiting for your link
User avatar Race Radio

07 Sep 2011 18:53

Race Radio wrote:I don't doubt that CSE has a piece ..

eleven wrote:Oh really? Then why have you been doubting and denying it for pages?

He hasn't:
Race Radio wrote:Agreed.

The reality is ownership these days seldom provides a great ROI. It may be far more lucrative to get a fee for managing opps and bringing sponsors to the table then to be an partial owner. It lowers Johan and Lance's risk and puts cash in their pocket to help pay some substantial legal fees.

While they may no longer be majority owners CSE could end up getting the better financial deal in the long run.

You were the one suggesting that CSE and not Becca had the 'controlling interest' and that it is a shared deal - when the information finally coming out by all sides has been the contrary.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

07 Sep 2011 18:54

Polish wrote:troll babble

CSE will not have a license next year and Brunyeel is back to driving cars for a living.
User avatar Race Radio

07 Sep 2011 18:55

Benotti69 wrote:The whole thing seems to have been done in a back room somewhere and no one was informed

What kind of team takes on a new sponsor that is a competitor and conflicts with a current one without informing the current sponsor that is supposedly continuing till 2013.

the whole thing stinks!!!!

~edited by mod~

More important, who gives up the opportunity to drive a Mercedes in favor of a [SIZE="1"]Nissan[/SIZE]?
eleven

07 Sep 2011 19:00

Race Radio wrote:CSE will not have a license next year and Brunyeel is back to driving cars for a living.

Some people said "CSE/Bruyneel will not be around next year"?
Those people were wrong, weren't they?
User avatar Polish

07 Sep 2011 19:05

thehog wrote:Well it could be Floyd all over again. If the other riders at Leopard start seeing Andy and Frank with the better bikes, the nicer cars etc etc. then they’ll know they took a mighty sweetener from Hog to get him on board. Good luck to them I hope it makes them very happy men and big in America. Alas if Jens, Frank, Canc supporting Andy can’t even beat Cadel Evans then they’ll have no hope in beating Contador. Period. The Hog’s tactics in races is simple. He had super strong teams which basically rode the peloton off their wheels then Armstrong would attack with 3km to go and win. Lance would then consolidate in the time trials and gain more time. But I don’t think that’s possible anymore. People just won’t buy it especially won’t buy if Andy pulls time trials from nowhere.

and the Shleck's won't be riding the Ardennes next year. At least not at full tilt.
User avatar thehog

07 Sep 2011 19:08

thehog wrote:and the Shleck's won't be riding the Ardennes next year. At least not at full tilt.

But hopefully Fabian will go for L-B-L.
A missing jewel in his Crown!
User avatar Polish

07 Sep 2011 19:09

thehog wrote:.... People just won’t buy it especially won’t buy if Andy pulls time trials from nowhere.

I beg to differ. Anyone that has some experience will immediately call it a farce, but that's not Pat and Hein's audience. I think Pat and Hein know they need another star for the sport to grow in the U.S. and have chosen the Schlecks. Johann will get them up to speed

The classics guys at the Lea-oh-pard team are on the losing end of this deal. Cancellara has nothing to look forward to next spring! The Grand Tour guys can't win either in the current environment. Johann will likely change that and Pat and Hein will assist every way possible.

Has anyone mentioned the fact that Knagg's and Co. collected some revenue for bringing The Shack and Nissan? I wonder how the sponsors feel about that. You have to wonder how many fingers Tailwind has up the UCI's rear end given an awkward deal like this happened.
User avatar DirtyWorks

07 Sep 2011 19:09

eleven wrote:More important, who gives up the opportunity to drive a Mercedes in favor of a [SIZE="1"]Nissan[/SIZE]?

Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyOqPNFJAA&feature=related
User avatar pugdog

07 Sep 2011 19:11

Polish wrote:Those licenses are not cheap.
Hundred of thousands of dollars per year?

If Becca agreed to pay - why would CSE/Bruyneel complain?

Well, the road to the cyclingnews forum is paved with posters claiming Astana would never be allowed to ride the 2009 tour....that Bruyneel and CSE would be in jail long ago...that they would never be allowed to ride the 2010 Tour...that Bruyneel was about to be arrested...

The list goes on.
eleven

07 Sep 2011 19:15

So all evil organisations are led by Belgians huh?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

07 Sep 2011 19:22

Is Pat McQuaid Belgian?
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

07 Sep 2011 19:25

So as it is quite apparent by the UCI press release that have little idea what is happening with this team are they going to apply their own rules?

Chapter XV UCI World Tour.
2.15.011 The ethical criterion takes account inter alia of the respect by the team or its members for:
c
a) the UCI regulations, inter alia as regards anti-doping, sporting conduct and the image of cycling;
b) its contractual obligations;
c) its legal obligations, particularly as regards payment of taxes, social security and keeping
accounts;
d) the principles of transparency and good faith.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

07 Sep 2011 19:28

thehog wrote:Alas if Jens, Frank, Canc supporting Andy can’t even beat Cadel Evans then they’ll have no hope in beating Contador. Period.
Just for the record: They crushed AC several times and for good at this year's Tour. OK, they failed to beat Evans, but so did AC :-)

I like those super teams. Of course, Bruyneel is shady guy, but Riis is even worse, I guess... and Shackopard do have a huge potential. On paper, it looks like having HTC for stage races... However, big names do not guarantee big wins, so imho it is just an exciting story.
SiAp1984

07 Sep 2011 19:33

SiAp1984 wrote:Just for the record: They crushed AC several times and for good at this year's Tour. OK, they failed to beat Evans, but so did AC :-)

I must have missed this "crushing." They barely managed to keep an injured and tired Contador off the podium and were beaten by a plodder with a weak team.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
User avatar Damiano Machiavelli

07 Sep 2011 19:37

SiAp1984 wrote:Just for the record: They crushed AC several times and for good at this year's Tour. OK, they failed to beat Evans, but so did AC :-)

Leopard didn't crush Contador, the Giro and the crashes did.
User avatar jobiwan

07 Sep 2011 19:46

I like those super teams. Of course, Bruyneel is shady guy, but Riis is even worse, I guess... and Shackopard do have a huge potential. On paper, it looks like having HTC for stage races... However, big names do not guarantee big wins, so imho it is just an exciting story.

Yes they were so busy at crushing a one legged Contador they let Evans win! You know… the funny looking aussie guy with the head tilt and no team.
User avatar thehog

07 Sep 2011 19:52

eleven wrote:Well, the road to the cyclingnews forum is paved with posters claiming Astana would never be allowed to ride the 2009 tour....that Bruyneel and CSE would be in jail long ago...that they would never be allowed to ride the 2010 Tour...that Bruyneel was about to be arrested...

The list goes on.

I know you guys like to pretend that this is the case but the reality is most here know that the investigation will take time and nobody is close to going to jail.
User avatar Race Radio

07 Sep 2011 19:53

jobiwan wrote:Leopard didn't crush Contador, the Giro and the crashes did.

You're quite reasonable for an Andy fan.
User avatar LaFlorecita

07 Sep 2011 20:00

I like Andy, but he doesn't stand a chance at ever beating an on-form, motivated Contador. He's just that one half-step below Alberto, and always will be.

Of course, Bruyneel is shady guy, but Riis is even worse,
How in the world is Riis "even worse" than Bruyneel? Riis is no saint, no one will argue that, but he's nowhere near the slimeball that is Bruyneel.
User avatar VeloCity

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing