Log in:  

Register

Puerto & Valverde

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Puerto & Valverde

16 Mar 2009 22:37

I hesitate to post this, but... Without wanting to start a did he/didn't he debate, I've got a few questions related to the Puerto case that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

There's been a lot written about how it appears damning that Valverde is the only cyclist in the peloton with a surname starting with valv, and equally, that his dogs name was piti. It's equally been pointed out that cycling was not the only sport involved in Puerto.

My question is, are there any other spanish athletes in sports other than cycling whose name includes the letters valv? And how common is piti as a dog's name in Spain?

I'm not looking for evidence to clear or condemn Valverde, I've just been curious about this for a while, due to my woeful lack of knowledge re Spanish names and culture.
Cate00
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 21:52
Location: New Zealand

16 Mar 2009 22:48

From what i've heard there are a lot of Spanish names named in this affair: tennisplayer Rafa Nadal, f1-driver Fernando Alonso, lots of players from Real Madrid and Barcelona, and so on. Nothing was ever proved but this is named as the most important reason the case was put to rest, to much damage for the Spanish sports world.

The wife of Fuentes has mentioned he treated allmost all the Spanish altletes during the '92 Olympics. Fuentes was teamdoctor of Belda's Kelme team when Valverde was at that team btw.
Bartoli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 13:31

16 Mar 2009 22:49

Yes, some people in Spain call their dog Piti, it is not just Alejandro Valverde.
Image

But the Italian authorities believe they have a DNA match and evidence of money transfers. So the code name only gave them something to start on.
User avatar Stani Kléber
Junior Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 09:35

16 Mar 2009 22:59

BICICLON wrote:this thread make me sick, he is inocent until some jury clame him guilty. Respect inocent presuncion. This kind of speculation are the cancer of our lover sport. Lets do the authorities the work and lets support the cyclist. He has said several times he never take anything. He also give his blood and pass the dna passaport. O.p. Was miserable , but we have to pass the page and not dig the cyclist, we are the fans and we are killing this sport. Is not our competence to judge this, the same that la, there are a lot of rumors but there are not definty proves


Operacion Puerto was fun when it was only other countries' athletes getting suspended, huh?
User avatar Mr.DNA
Junior Member
 
Posts: 267
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 04:40
Location: California, USA

16 Mar 2009 23:01

Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten years above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not rasonable reason, just becouse there are the best in their sports. They are natural talents
BICICLON
Junior Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 05:49
Location: SAN BORONDON

16 Mar 2009 23:05

BICICLON wrote:Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten year above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not way to say that. They are natural talents


Your avatar picture apparently has an extra talent as well. Was she implicated in Operacion Puerto? :D
Signature line intentionally left blank.
User avatar 53x11 in DC
Junior Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 19:49
Location: 70cm Above my Bottom Bracket

16 Mar 2009 23:15

53x11 in DC wrote:Your avatar picture apparently has an extra talent as well. Was she implicated in Operacion Puerto? :D

:D:D, yes she abused too much in order that ten years above the antidoping; :D
BICICLON
Junior Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 05:49
Location: SAN BORONDON

17 Mar 2009 00:15

BICICLON wrote::D:D, yes she abused too much in order that ten years above the antidoping; :D


Looks like WADA caught up to you!
Signature line intentionally left blank.
User avatar 53x11 in DC
Junior Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 19:49
Location: 70cm Above my Bottom Bracket

17 Mar 2009 01:38

Bartoli wrote:From what i've heard there are a lot of Spanish names named in this affair: tennisplayer Rafa Nadal, f1-driver Fernando Alonso, lots of players from Real Madrid and Barcelona, and so on. Nothing was ever proved but this is named as the most important reason the case was put to rest, to much damage for the Spanish sports world.

The wife of Fuentes has mentioned he treated allmost all the Spanish altletes during the '92 Olympics. Fuentes was teamdoctor of Belda's Kelme team when Valverde was at that team btw.


OH that ****! how do you think spanish people feel about those coments? Dont be stupid. !!Now all spaniards talents are in Operación Puerto,!!! You are jelous about spanish achievements and the talent of spanish sportsmen are showing in this moment.
Cycling... Spanish Rules
Football... Spanish Rules
BAsketball....Spanish RUles
Tennis ....Spanish RUles
TRiatlon.....Spanish RUles
HAndBall.... Spanish Rules
F1....Spanish Rules
MOtorcycling ....SPanish RUles.
We are on the top of the most viewed sports Come on boy. OP is not the cause of the big moment that spain live in HQ sports. Spain is a great nation and has the condition to create such popular sports championship like FA or RN
User avatar ALBERTIÑO
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 00:06
Location: LA MAESTRANZA

17 Mar 2009 03:29

53x11 in DC wrote:Looks like WADA caught up to you!


Hehe, suprised it took so long :)
User avatar lookkg386
Junior Member
 
Posts: 433
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 09:21
Location: Melbourne, Australia

17 Mar 2009 09:39

ALBERTIÑO wrote:OH that ****! how do you think spanish people feel about those coments? Dont be stupid. !!Now all spaniards talents are in Operación Puerto,!!! You are jelous about spanish achievements and the talent of spanish sportsmen are showing in this moment.
Cycling... Spanish Rules
Football... Spanish Rules
BAsketball....Spanish RUles
Tennis ....Spanish RUles
TRiatlon.....Spanish RUles
HAndBall.... Spanish Rules
F1....Spanish Rules
MOtorcycling ....SPanish RUles.
We are on the top of the most viewed sports Come on boy. OP is not the cause of the big moment that spain live in HQ sports. Spain is a great nation and has the condition to create such popular sports championship like FA or RN


Lol, chill and read, i quote myself: "Nothing was ever proved". I just state what is mentioned in the world wide press, not what's my opinion. Or would you deny what Fuentes'wife said? Btw, i got a jersey of the Spanish football team right here and I'm a fan of Real Madrid, so stop accusing the messenger.
Bartoli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 13:31

Action at last

01 Apr 2009 15:30

BICICLON wrote:Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten years above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not rasonable reason, just becouse there are the best in their sports. They are natural talents



Sorry but this is long over due, Valverde has kept his head down for the last couple of years and hoped that this would all go away. Unfortunately for him his own DNA appears to have tripped him up. I hope a 2 year ban is implemented and that no team touches him afterwards, he is undoubtably a huge talent, which for me makes this all the more infuriating. There will be a few worried riders in the peloton today in light of CONI's findings.......
Rapha Addiction Helpline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:00
Location: Sunderland UK

CONI Power?

01 Apr 2009 16:36

Well, here we go. CONI requests 2 years against Valverde.

DNA does not lie. It did not for americans (Hamilton), german (Ullrich) and will not for Spanish either. Face it.

The guy is a super rider; on paper he's like early Lance Armstrong. A very good bully able to win sprints in a select group of strong finishers. But to ride above everybody and win a climbing stage? Valverde has not done it since... Since the alarm was triggered and he "fell" and "broke a collarbone" (Read; he excluded himself from the Tour.)

Valverde was on the the juice. And now he can still do wonders and still win races. But to TT and climb and win with consistency on tours... History has shown that the juice it is!!

Now let's talk about Rasmussen and what's his name puerto boy dancing together the polka-dot tango on the TdF's toughest climbs...
TempeteOntheRoad
Junior Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 14:09
Location: Montreal, Québec.

01 Apr 2009 16:44

TempeteOntheRoad wrote:Now let's talk about Rasmussen and what's his name puerto boy dancing together the polka-dot tango on the TdF's toughest climbs...


I'd rather talk about them going on a boat trip with Richard Virenque and never being heard from again.
User avatar Mr.DNA
Junior Member
 
Posts: 267
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 04:40
Location: California, USA

01 Apr 2009 16:49

There's a lot to say about this subject, suffice to say. On the Bicycling forums this thread has a lot of information on it, though it does delve into some flaming (sound familiar?!) at times. I made several posts there referencing the details on OP, Valverde's culpability, and what I think should be done with the case.

I have to work, but will post again later, but please follow that link if you have the time, lots of info there on OP, especially the third page.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,244
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

01 Apr 2009 18:55

CONI wants a payback for all the Italians cyclists busted in the Operacion Puerto, as a Solid complain to the Spanish Anti-doping authorities which penalized very few of their compatriots at the aftermath of it.
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,334
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

Come on people, don't be blind!

02 Apr 2009 14:24

All of you screaming his innocence have you been under a rock. I too wanted to believe in cyclist innocence. I thought Tyler Hamiliton was innocent (not now), then I thought Floyd was innocent, his book made a good case. (bet he doped), Basso, Riis, Kohl, Etc. There has been a culture of doping for some time.

I enjoy all of the excuses you all make for him. Hello DNA evidence. I think they have good evidence to suspend him. yes lots of others in other sports are also tied but those are other sports. Right now cycling is going after the cheats. (It is the right thing to do) I can't wait for the day when I see a great feat in cycling and don't expect doping.

Wake up people and smell the EPO, Cera, or what ever comes next. You can believe what you want, but I bet the evidence is clear.
Homey G
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:12

02 Apr 2009 14:30

this case is not good for cycling at all, CONI only take revenge for those of their riders that was caught in OP. CONI also ban VAlverde for 2 years and for exsampel di Luca for 3 months in the of seson for a simular case.
User avatar Herman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:16

02 Apr 2009 14:55

Herman wrote:this case is not good for cycling at all, CONI only take revenge for those of their riders that was caught in OP. CONI also ban VAlverde for 2 years and for exsampel di Luca for 3 months in the of seson for a simular case.


This is where I have a problem with the IOC. Your likelihood of being caught and the punishment you get are a lottery based upon your sport and your country. It shouldn't matter if you are a Spanish cyclist or a Brazilian beach volleyball player. The banned list should be the same, the controls should be the same and the punishments should be the same. And the only body that can enforce that is the IOC, but they seem happy to follow the same attitude towards doping that the UCI did during the 1990s. And we all know where that ended.

And if the IOC take their responsibility, we'll also get away with situations like a certain Danish cyclist taking out a license in Monaco and Mexico because they don't do out of competition testing...

Graham.
Graham
Junior Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 27 Mar 2009 10:55
Location: Bristol

02 Apr 2009 15:01

I think the route cause of all this is that although we have new cyclists coming through they are still going through the same trainers and DSs who are so used to doping they get the new riders to do it too. Until we get new people in the management who don't dope then we will still get these cases
sherer
Junior Member
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 10:58


Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lemon cheese cake, Poursuivant, Wiggo Warrior and 23 guests

Back to top